Brave browser. discuss. (not a botnet)

brave browser. discuss. (not a botnet)

its shit

the logo is shit man.. the colour choice as well. The main thing about any browser is the UI and the logo

no playable drm content is a dealbreaker for me

I'm sold

>better ads
>in app purchases

Does it have an add-on like stylish?

>Chromium
Directly into the trash.

Disgusting.

install ff dev edition

The logo is one of the things I like about it the most.

It's the future. It's still a work in progress atm because Eich's team is building it from the ground up from the Chromium code base in order to make it secure by default and has no Google tracking shit left.

It will be THE browser to beat in about a year's time.

Why dev edtion over regular ff?

>ground up
>from the Chromium code base

I'm going to switch to it once it has addons

dev edition strips out / disables a lot of the "cool extra features" like pocket, swooce, KeepEm, Alaska Thunderfuck Theme, ChinaGrill integration

It's shit in my desktop and it's a little bugged in my Android tablet.

>Using SJWFox...

>Being a one thrust man

just downloaded it, looks pretty good, its very simple but there are few unnecessary shit I didn't like but overall is ok I guess

Nice privacy controls.

Same

I want to support it just because he was fired by SJWs at Mozilla for nothing

I like it

Also,

>made using Electron

pls make it go away

So, do you have to be brave lion to use it, not a cowardly one?

Change your user agent strings on other browsers and you support it no matter what you run.

good idea,

do you know the string to add?

nvm found it

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_11_2) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) brave/0.7.11 Chrome/47.0.2526.110 Brave/0.36.5 Safari/537.36

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) brave/0.7.10 Chrome/47.0.2526.110 Brave/0.36.5 Safari/537.36

I think those work

I want a browser that inherently blocks intrusive ads while allowing regular banner ads without giving me "Date Arab women" and "Head of your penis will touch the sun if you take these pills" ads.

Honestly I want to support internet as is, a free environment without borders, but the laws are catching up and everyone is trying to monetize everything to the extreme, I only want to prevent the second part. I don't want to kill websites.

stfu

Same.

Chromium botnet plus "better" ads. Yeah that's a fucking winner.

Haven't we learned that it's high time to divorce advertising from browser development? It's the reason chrome and Google steal all your info if given the chance. Brave doesn't need to be a browser, instead it should be an add-on for other browsers that handle the ad replacement . Thus an opt in.

the UI is complete shit

When I can customize nearly everything like I can with Firefox then I'll give a shit.

I expected better from one of the founders of Mozilla, to be honest, figured he'd move the best features of Firefox onto a new platform.

Guess not.

Home page promises "better ads" in the future!! Wow that probably won't involve any tracking or consumer data mining!!!

how is it with cpu/mem?

UI is pretty bad and it blocks Cred Forums adspaces even with shields down. Literally no point in using it.

Just means they will be behind in ad blocking.

Just reverse your whitelist and blacklist any sites that annoy you. You'll have to load annoying pages twice, but:

a) that's the price of your internet karma
b) if it's not worth it, don't reload the page

You'll start avoiding shitty sites a little more as well, denying them even the site metrics to sell adspace in the first place.

>replace ads with different ads

how is this any better for me than a proper browser with adblock

holy shit its fast.

faster than chrome, opera, and firefox. nice find OP

Why isn't there a browser or a plugin that will load the page along with all ads, giving the impression that ads were seen, but won't show those ads to me?

I don't entirely understand how this "block ads but serve adds" logic of adblock and now brave will work. Content publishers will need to register with every adblocking service to get their share of each one as well as whatever ad service they'll push on people without adblock.

Can anyone suggest to me a browser like Microsoft Edge? Opera, Vivaldi, Chrome, Firefox...you name it, UI lag whenever I set the browsers to full acreen on my laptop with a 4k display.

Microsoft Edge and most of the other internet browsers from the Windows 10 store is very smooth with scrolling.

If not then can you guys help me with getting Microsoft Edge to play webms on this website?

Thanks in advance and remember, Jesus loves you.

Just click the setting labelled "Ad Control" and set it to "Block ads" and instead of replacing them it will just block them outright.

Thanks. That's what my browser already does. Why use Brave at all?

HUP HOLLAND HUP LAAT DE LEEUW NIET IN ZN HEMPIE STAAN

its faster and built in. ublock is depreciated

More or less. They had plenty of ad services to register for before, and they have plenty and a bit more now.

>ublock is depreciated
Don't think it is. Check your facts.
Speed is pretty much the last thing I want, since it's already fast enough for me to not notice.

enjoy slower browsing pleb

no dumbass there are no in app purchases they pay you in bitcoin to see their ads

Do you honestly think you can get people to join your side by using that kind of language?

I think their plan might be to keep records of how much money brave owes to every website they replace ads on, then dole it out to whichever ones figure it out and come knocking. If they ever do.

Sites that they only block ads on and don't replace get nothing, as it's no different than normal adblocking.

In the grand scheme of things, it would end up being just another thing on the making a website to-do list, and if there ends up being too many adblocker services to do it yourself, I'm sure adblock agent sites will crop up just like domain registration services.

kys moron. keep using shitfox

>I think their plan might be to keep records of how much money brave owes to every website they replace ads on, then dole it out to whichever ones figure it out and come knocking. If they ever do.
Once one does, they all will do. Isn't class action designed to do exactly that? And they will not have money to pay everyone.
I don't like Brave, I hope they fail, but even with this mindset I wouldn't want for court to find that if, for a willing user, you remove someone's ads and place your ads, you're committing a crime.

Wasn't it founded by a homophobe?

What do you mean? They are only planning o owing them a portion of the money they themselves are making.

A class action suit for damages won't win because on that grounds it's no different from normal ad blocking.

>Firefox Developer Edition automatically sends feedback to Mozilla
cuck

>They are only planning o owing them a portion of the money they themselves are making.
But why? To stay on friendly terms?

>We take 90% of your income from people who use our browser think, but you still get 10% so we're still friends, right?

Using it now. Seems very nice.

ublock hides the ads
enjoy your malware idiot

And for that matter, it's legally also no different from, say, tivo allowing you to cut out ads yourself for the profit of tivo selling these devices.

So really it'd be pretty difficult to even argue for the right to a fair portion of brave's replaced ad revenue.

They need websites upon which to serve ads. If they didn't, their ultimate win-state would be an empty internet.

Would you like to present some evidence? I was very interested in this, because I actually wanted ads to be downloaded but not shown, to do maximum damage to ad services (they still pay for views but I'm not seeing anything), but after inspecting few HTTP streams with Wireshark I came to conclusion that ads are actually blocked and not just hidden.

So basically every advertiser is going to get into the adblocking game and were going to start serving shitty ads in place of shitty ads. This only works on the small scale when you can hand select shit.

Pretty sure the adblock model was to only serve replaced ads to sites that signed up for replaced ads otherwise they're blocked as usual (if not on the the whitelist.) Which in itself is basically just ransom.

The way I see it, they can replace ads on any site. Why would they limit themselves to only subscriber sites?

Now I get what you mean. They're not paying any sites now, but in case they become big and start affecting the Internet, you think they might start paying websites they hijack ads from to keep them alive.

I dunno. I mean we could go further and ask why even bother to consider paying the content publisher a share of the revenue?

To validate the concept in eyes of users.

> /qutebrowser
> nothing found
kys

I love me some qute but if I shill too hard I feel shame. Like humans.

It gets shilled here a lot but isn't worth the time if day.

>get sub-par ad blocking
>get your guilt washed away if you were cucked into wathing ads in the first place
>get handed pennies for watching ads
>give lots of money to the devs
>somewhat decent ui
>less featured than firefox (but that may not hold true for long)
>supposedly less botnet than chrome (but I'm waiting for the big scandal after everyone uses it for transactions)

There are worse alternatives, like firefox forks with no addons and shitty ui, webapps on top of chrome or lightweight browsers with absolutely no features. But I'd still take ff or chrome over it for different reasons.

It's literally impossible to be equal to or more botnet than chrome. There is actual malware less botnet than chrome.

>That interface

apt search brave
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
gnome-brave-icon-theme/xenial,xenial 5.5.1-2ubuntu2 all
blue variation of the GNOME-Colors icon theme

shiki-brave-theme/xenial,xenial 4.6-1ubuntu2 all
blue variation of the Shiki-Colors theme

why would I care?

I wish you could just tell advertisers what you're interested in, no need to try and guess...

im really only interested in adblocking though, diagnosing and breaking awful botnet javascript and malvertising botnets is my hobby.

Someoe's gotta do it, good for you.
I'm just saying as a regular user I don't mind ads. I don't like ads that aren't relevant to me, and I hate malware ads, so I mostly block everything. However I wouldn't mind ads for shit I'm interested in, might even prefer knowing latest deals.

I hate ads even when calibrated on my interests.
When I was making a mami cosplay I got a shitton of ads for milano. Sure it was intresting but because I'm not stupid I asked /cgl/ and they told me how shit it was despite looking so good.
If you know what you like, ads are probably just puching you towards a shitty provider of it that stays big because of advertisement.
If you don't know what you like, you're letting advertisers suggest you what you should like. Anything is better than that because advertisers don't give a shit about you. Even asking anons is better than letting advertisers what to like. And anons are dickheads.

its great and its my new browser for linux

>blink
nty imo

not having a console for drm shit or smart tv please kys

Brave blocks ads only to replace them with their own ads so Brendan "The Jew" Eich can make more money off of his browser.

Opera comes with ad-blocking with no downside, if you are so bent on native ad-blocking.

>I'm just saying as a regular user I don't mind ads.
as long as they are discreet.
I mean, idc if the ad interests me or not, but I absolutely hate it when ads prevent you from doing what you came doing.
I mean when the article you went to read only takes up 10% of your screen because of all the ads, or when an ad is actually preventing you from watching the video, then I'm completely pissed off.

If ads weren't so invasive, I probably wouldn't use an adblocker at all.