Webp - Never gonna happen

How does it feel webp autist?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOMedia_Video_1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

not into Cred Forums drama. what's not gonna happen? firefox support? normies using it?

Cred Forums won't use it.

The problem is, everyone that uses the site won't take the step to convert every single standard image format like jpeg, png, gif etc. to webp in order to solely share on Cred Forums. It wouldn't help that Cred Forums could do server side conversion either because people would still be uploading the standard formats onto Cred Forums using its bandwidth anyway, and then Cred Forums would have to spend server time compressing the images. All of this and, yes, not all browsers like Firefox, have support for it yet.

forget, now i get it. you mean this it seems pretty reasonable.

WebP is DEAD

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOMedia_Video_1

AV1 Still Image format would embarass it in lossy image compression

See People will take the path of least resistance. If they have to convert their pictures from their iphone before uploading, it ain't gonna happen. Until cameras can capture in webp format, it's dead and ain't happening.

>The problem is, everyone that uses the site won't take the step to convert every single standard image format like jpeg, png, gif etc. to webp in order to solely share on Cred Forums.
And this is bad how?

One user.

One bot.

He couldn't live with the lack of webp...

This summer...

user creates a bot which duplicates every other image format into webp and has it post it as a reply to the offending non-webp image format post.

>And this is bad how?

It isn't. It basically ensures I am right.

This. Nobody has to convert anything. Webp support will simply be added to those who want to use it.

All three people. Yeah, great success. Lets get the devs working on it.

I thought Cred Forums cared about technology and whatnot. You guys talk about the latest smartphones/ graphics cards but you don't give a hoot about the latest image codec format?

What gives?

Doesn't anyone here want better looking images for the same JPG file size or smaller images ~50% the size of a JPG with the same visual quality?

I know this doesn't really matter for sub 720p images but it makes a hell of a difference when taking 4K res images and up into account.

What I'm trying to say is, if someone really cares about this they should make a spambot which responds to every image post which isn't in webp format with a webp version of that image.

That bot should probably target Cred Forums or something.

Good luck.

>I thought Cred Forums cared about technology and whatnot. You guys talk about the latest smartphones/ graphics cards but you don't give a hoot about the latest image codec format?
>What gives?

See and Pay GREAT ATTENTION to this:

>If they have to convert their pictures from their iphone before uploading, it ain't gonna happen.
>Until cameras can capture in webp format, it's dead and ain't happening.

Read that last part again:

>Until cameras can capture in webp format, it's dead and ain't happening.

is probably like adding ",webp" in a couple of strings.

4 hours tops, including testing.

For all of three people. Uh huh. Never mind losing millions of users that still use browsers that doesn't support webp natively.

I can tell you have never run anything more than a car. Tell me, if you ran a site, would you cut its main function off to millions of your visitors?

Nobody has to convert anything. The point of adding webp support is to allow users who want to use a new and more efficient image format the chance to do so. It would be nice of everyone used webp instead of extremely depricated image formats but I understand that won't happen especially with all the itoddlers here.

fair point. firefox market share is still a respectable 7%.

doesn't ios support webp yet? that would be a real problem.

Most users use Chrome now and firefox plans to add webp support soon.

Anyway yeah, there would be quite a few users who would not be able to view webp images but this would go away over time and not everyone would be using webp. Most would still be able to use their old JPG and PNG from the 90s with no problems.

>Nobody has to convert anything

Then nobody will use it. Saying support is there is fantastic. Brilliant! But, who cares? There isn't a critical mass of people to justify adding that support. You cannot escape this simple fact.

Even if Cred Forums did conversion, bandwidth would still be getting used during the upload of standard jpeg/gif/png etc. just to have the server compress which ruins any benefit, and that's before you get to the browser problem.

Have a script server-side which converts all images to webp.

Problem solved.

Lol no.

See >Even if Cred Forums did conversion, bandwidth would still be getting used during the upload of standard jpeg/gif/png etc. just to have the server compress which ruins any benefit, and that's before you get to the browser problem.

Anyway I made a thread in /qa/ if anyone is interested.

I have requested webp support there and asked that at least Cred Forums get it.

>Even if Cred Forums did conversion, bandwidth would still be getting used during the upload of standard jpeg/gif/png etc. just to have the server compress which ruins any benefit, and that's before you get to the browser problem.
I never said this had to be done and don't condone it at all.

>I never said this had to be done and don't condone it at all.

It's futile. Even if Cred Forums grants webp support (which I don't care about one way tbqh), not enough people will use the format in order to justify the change. You will be lucky if even 10% of users on Cred Forums would use it.

>It's futile. Even if Cred Forums grants webp support (which I don't care about one way tbqh), not enough people will use the format in order to justify the change. You will be lucky if even 10% of users on Cred Forums would use it.
Even if a few use it, that will still save Cred Forums bandwidth and users loading times a few times.

Anyway adding support for webp won't kill Cred Forums. Anons won't leave en masse because support for a new format was added. Yeah at first most won't use it but this could change over time especially on a board dealing with technology.

How is adding support for webp not just some trivial one-time setup without almost no side-effects whatsoever?

There's no reason not to spend 5 minutes on it, even if no one uses it.

>Even if a few use it, that will still save Cred Forums bandwidth and users loading times a few times.

This has to be a troll. You'd be lucky if the three people that use webp would save 500mb a week. kek.

>Anyway adding support for webp won't kill Cred Forums

Said no one.

>Anons won't leave en masse because support for a new format was added

Also said by no one.

>Yeah at first most won't use it but this could change over time especially on a board dealing with technology.

People also never used a superior audio format called VQF. Do you know why? Because MP3s were out just before it and were good enough thus they rapidly became the standard. Good luck with your crusade.

I'm not trying to change the world user, just want a tech board to allow us to use an open and free image format superior the other ones that exist today. I think it's cool and assume said board loves image formats for the future especially one with so much support.

Lets see how it goes. Can't hurt I s'pose