Chromebook General

What do you use yours for? Just browsing or do you do any serious work on it (development using crouton or chromebrew?)

I just got pic related but now the R13 is coming out, did I miss out?

Other urls found in this thread:

ifixit.com/Guide/Toshiba Chromebook 2 Battery Replacement/52911
skyline-eng.com/toshiba-chromebook-2-battery-cb35-b3340-cb35-b3330-p000619700-pa5208u-1brs/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

While on the topic, how is Chrome os?
I just need it for school, nothing too serious

I have a Thinkpad x220 tablet which I bought for $170. Is there a reason why a Chromebook would be better?

It rarely crashes on the normal release channel. But that channel doesn't get new features often. Beta has seldom crashes but most of what dev has. Honestly there's no point to ever use dev and I'm always on beta. No issues here. Just be careful with storage and make sure to use GDrive. If you get a 32GB device you should have any worries. You NEED 4GB of RAM though or you won't be able to do shit.

I like it a lot, fast and good interface but (predictably) no customization.

What you have seems nice. A bit heavy though, one of the things I like best about chromebooks is the amazing battery life and weight. I get 11 or 12 hours of use on my R11.

>A bit heavy though, one of the things I like best about chromebooks is the amazing battery life and weight. I get 11 or 12 hours of use on my R11.
I guess. But I have a phone and a tablet for just casual browsing and media consumption though.

is it possible to install a different os down the line?
I'm thinking Elementary, Ubuntu, or Windows 10

Yeah, but you're going to have to go with GalliumOS if you actually want support for touchpad, sound and touchscreen if you have one.

Webfag here. I do most of my work on a chromebook, first a c720 then upgraded to the aluminum acer because the former was coming apart from daily bag abuse.

I do everything in the browser or through a ssh. Haven't used Cruton, Gallium, or anything else lately. Too much hassle and I don't do anything major locally.

I bought the first one as a casual/toy to experiment with Linux and later realized I could get my workflow into it effectively and save a lot of money.

Picked up one of those aluminum acer chromebook 14s a couple weeks ago. Installed ubuntu on it (via crouton) so i can ssh with x forwarding and run kodi and a few other things if needed. Happy with it so far.

How does Kodi run with this setup? I'm using the kodi android app (beta though) and it crashes every time I resize it. I'm going to try out the non-beta android release but if that doesn't work well I'll use crouton.

It seems to be working OK so far, but I generally run full screen so the resizing thing doesn't come up for me much. But it looks like it works right now for me.

Getting hotkeys to all do what I want took a little work. The optional keyboard extra on crouton seems to piss off ubuntu for some reason, so I had to xbindkeys a few things manually. Otherwise everything has been pretty smooth so far.

I use my Toshiba CB2 for a fucking paperweight because the battery died.

BTW your X220 can use the Ultrabase Series 3 which are under twenty bucks on Ebay. Look up the features and decide if useful. Docking is a very nice feature for me is so I can use far superior desktop peripherals without unplugging anything.

i use mine to shitpost on Cred Forums

ifixit.com/Guide/Toshiba Chromebook 2 Battery Replacement/52911

skyline-eng.com/toshiba-chromebook-2-battery-cb35-b3340-cb35-b3330-p000619700-pa5208u-1brs/

Not him, but at $50ish for the battery he's almost better off getting a newer one and having android app support

I put GalliumOS on mine, and it's great. Everything just works. It's an Ubuntu derivative so it's really user friendly.

I did that 2 days ago, should have done it sooner.

Does gallium OS install over the top of Chrome or is it standalone?

you could probably install it through crouton, but it can also be installed side by side or standalone depending on the model. you may or may not need to modify the firmware.

crouton for a 10 hour battery life linux machine.

I'm doing what wrote. $50 for a battery in a $150 (paid) computer is ludicrous.

Will probably get a good w10 laptop though. ChromeOS is a bad joke.

thinkpad x61 with cloudready
I use it to shitpost around the house

They're nice pieces of hardware for the price, but Google knows this and has all kinds of measures in place to prevent people from installing actual useful software.

Is ideapad 100s with 4gb of ram worth it for 200€? Should i spend more for chromebook? I need cheap and light laptop with good battery life for college (web browsing and writing). Already have powerful desktop and thinkpad t510 for heavy work.

I've been thinking of buying a cheap Chromebook and slapping Linux on it.
If I decide to do this and end up not liking how Linux works, is there a way to reinstall chrome OS?

Yes. Chrome os is free, just install it again

>tfw want to buy the pixel but literally it is sold nowhere