When did you stop using floppies?

I'm wondering because I was still using them for transferring files (typed reports and projects mostly) to and from school up until 2007/2008, but I've heard other people say they stopped using floppies before that.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Generic-SFR1M44-U-Emulator-Industrial-Equipment/dp/B008HYT6T2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Where can I buy a 1tb floppy?

2003 when I found a 128MB Alienware USB drive on the ground

>still have it

When CD writers were around $200-250. Like 2001 or a little later thanks to Napster.

when i was in high school and they stop taking assignmnets on them

I was in year 8 i think (2007)

I used to wipe a magnet over it, and hand in my work to get another day of working on it

When the floppy drive on my bros CNC mill died. I replaced it with one of these which are a popular retrofit for many expensive machines built with floppy drives:

amazon.com/Generic-SFR1M44-U-Emulator-Industrial-Equipment/dp/B008HYT6T2

2001 when I bought a USB Zip drive.

no later than the middle of the 2000's

i got a usb flash drive very early (2000), and while it would be a joke now ($80 for 64MiB and usb 1.1 speeds), it was huge and fast compared to floppies

my college used iMacs, so no floppy usage at school (what a cunt they were, hardly anyone could move data around between school and home because nothing had a fucking floppy drive)

around 2000. It was when Sun decided to charge 100 bucks for an IBM floppy drive. That's when I learned "The Network IS the Computer"

2002 was my first PC without a floppy. Before that I used them for boot disks and firmware updates. Had one of those top of the line first generation CD burners that was around 1999 or 2000. I didn't jump on the USB train till much much later on.

2004 i stopped using them. floppies stopped being sold at that point I regeat not get a 50 pack on the last days sale...so rude

I still use them today to store shitty batch programs and lists that I'd rather keep private. It's obosleteness adds a layer of difficulty for the average person.

I've never used one in my life.

Then you should be banned for being an underage faggot.

>underaged

Not technically a floppy but I still use Zip disquettes to store rare Pepes

when computers no longer had them included

The last batches of floppies sucked ass in terms of quality.

What makes you think I stopped?

>2007 - 2008

I used them until Fall 2008.

>tfw
>you could of had Imagine's last 50 floppy disks
>you'll never relive those Dos days again.
;_;

I still use them on a daily basis at work, all the machines use either 5.25", 3.5" floppies or PCMCIA storage
Let me tell ya, spending 60$ on a 4mb PC Card storage module is just outright rape

Never really used them.

I remember my dad using them to install Heretic on our Win95 computer as a kid. In my elementary school they sold them as a backup medium for school works for the students (I must've been like 12 years old). I'm 25 now.

I stopped using them for "serious" purposes in 2006 when I got my first flash drive.

I still use them with old computers.

When towers of CDs got cheap? Around 2001/2002 or so?

26 here, rarely used them. Only as boot devices and to install maleware onto the schools computers in the early 2000s.

I think before 2005, I was less than 10 but used to play with computers a lot, suddenly USB storage became mainstream even if I don't remember what I actually used.
First official USB drive I had and I used was a 1GB mp3 player my parents bought me for Christmas, it had no limits, just a plug and play device you could put everything on and with a lot of space.
Remember when many years later I decided to get a new mp3 after losing it and bought an iPod touch
>"WHY THE FUCK DO I NEED TO INSTALL ITUNES THIS IS RIDICULOUS "

LOOK AT MR RICH BOY, 1GB STORAGE WIUUWIUUU!

My first mp3 player was 128MB I think.

I still use them because I still love my Amiga 500

I also use them as coasters

Yeah, I remember it being a lot for a long time before 2/4gb drives came out, I don't know how much they spent but those were days with no economical problems :)
But >128MB
You probably had it before mine

Anyway I think I have a few floppys around and I hope I haven't sold the drives, last year I built my workstation using my old 90s case and sold the guts, I think I kept something

My first MP3 player was 32mb and it was hell. Like 8 songs max

Then I got a 2gb (or was i 20?) one that had a hard drive it was the size of a walkman and died after like a month because >HD on something you walk around with

Early MP3 players were so goddamn awful.

the 128MB one was some no-name that I can't remember the name of. After that I got a 256MB Creative.

Then I got the first iPod Nano (4GB I think). That player was a hell of a lot better in terms of build quality and was smaller than both of the previous ones. Got tied to iTunes though, which kind of sucked.

Here's mine, pic says 256mb but I had the 1GB version, exact same color, it was all rubber plastic that started scratching the moment it came out of the box
The best part is that the screen had different colors, I spent hours going around the menus during long car trips

Of course forgot pic

I think my 32mb one was Alba

Never had an iPod. I refuse to use an MP3 player I can't drag and drop with. My first non shit MP3 player was a Zen Stone though. Those things were great, Then I went through a couple of Zen Stone Plus. Then Clip+ which is what I'm using now along with a Clip Jam for when it might take some real abuse (never get a jam the jack is garbage and will turn to shit within a week)

It's a shame MP3 players aren't as wanted as they once were because I still need one so I don't have to worry about destroying my phone and there's less on the market now.

Maybe a year ago. A family member has an embroidery machine I tried messing around with and the only way it reads files is with a floppy disc.

>some no-name that I can't remember the name of.
probably one of those "S1" players

everyone had one at some point

(pic is just one of many variations which had pretty much the same electronics)

2009 when my old keyboard's driver was still on floppy.

when cd-rw became a thing.

2 months ago.
my drive died.

I still use floppies for this same purpose. It's a machine from 2001 and only takes floppies.

Currently puttting 1 rare pepe per floppy then dropping it off a goodwill

>2007/2008
Stopped using them around 2005.
Mainly used them for school, kept losing work cause the fuckers often broke. Got a 512mb usb drive in 2005 and never went back.
Have a cheap usb floppy drive for reading old floppies should I need it though.

You fucking racist
Yeah, my best friend at the time had one, it was pretty cool actually, the days when things used to do one thing but well

Last time I used a floppy was to update the BIOS of an old motherboard about 10 years ago.

2005. Bought a 128MB flash drive with my allowance and it was a great start toward a brighter future of removable storage. So much easier to hide hentai pics.

wtf is floppy?
all i see is save icon?

You probably mean "diskettes" but anyways:

Last time I used a diskette was to load Gigabyte RAID drivers when I installed Windows 7 about 4 years ago. It was the only time I actually had to "Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver".

Felt special man. . .

Yea asking when did you stop saving stuff locally and start using the cloud like a normal person.

'00 diskettes were shit indeed. Manufacturers didn't really give a fuck after the early nineties.

> Giving your interlectual property away for free

Intellectual property is piracy. You have to give back, shitbag!

I'm talking about stuff I made myself, faggot.

>stuff you made
yea, using tools and knowledge taken from others. Give back you fucking leech.
I bet your one of those privacy terrorists too..

Damn what I would give for a working zip drive. I still got a ton of those lying around,

Actually I wouldn't give anything, otherwise I'd buy one. But I'd like to have one nevertheless.

Back in 2009 when I built my current system, I STILL bought a Floppy Drive for it.

It wasn't until a year or two after that I realized I wasn't using it for jack shit and uninstalled it. I guess I wasted $20.

I want one of those too, also want a tape drive.
Im not fucking paying for one though.

>tfw have 800 gb of shit I want off my drive and will not use in the near or moderate future but still cant delete due to rarity and size of redownloads (old games)

I think about 2008.

I dunno, probably around 2004 or so when I set up an ftp server and would just transfer files for schoolwork that way. I always hated floppies though, and my dad got a CD drive in the late 90s

I looked around and found an Iomega zip250 drive, but it seems to be broken :(

I never liked them. Maybe windows is to blame, but you could never rely on using them to transfer a file from computer A to computer B without someone fucking it up.
I think the last time I used one was in 2004, but the sysadmin at my school disabled USB ports on the schools computers, so people had to use floppies until 2007 if they didn't have their own.

That sucks.
Why do you want a zip drive so bad anyway?

I can't recall ever having a problem in over 10 years. A lot of disks are corrupted now, but I don't have any idea what you mean by "someone fucking it up"; I used DOS and Windows, back and forth to school, many file types, and the only thing I can ever going wrong was a non-destructive boot virus.

Last time I checked notepad++ and vim are pretty much free.

I paid for the knowledge. It's called education.

Maybe it was different versions of windows or something, but essentially windows couldn't recognize the format, so it wanted you to format the drive.
A lot of people elected to do so and thus remove the file.

>2009

When did they stop putting floppy disk controllers/ribbon ports on motherboards?

1999, switched to a zip drive, then in 2001 a cd writer

used blueflops last week to irc

>When did you stop using floppies?
>stop
What?

CD burners at first were never really a replacement for floppies though. Sure CD could hold a lot more, but you normally needed to use some proprietary software (meaning different interface and just for that companies drives, not non free) for your CD burner and not every computer had a CD burner so you would be SOL if you were trying to use CDs to move files back and forth between multiple computers. I honestly never used CDs for anything outside of Linux ISOs or music and used floppies up until 1 GB flash drives could be had for $20-$30 or so.

Don't know, my computer I built in 2009 still had one too. The controller only supports one drive though and it only supports 3 1/2" drives (previous build from 2006 or so could support 5 1/4" floppy drives and I utilized that for some older games I found, I remember being slightly disappointed when my new motherboard didn't support that or a second 3 1/2" drive anymore).

up until last year on my snes game doctor, then i replaced it with a cheap chinese floppy emulator

20 years old going on 21 here, Literally never used one in my life. I used to find them left around the house by parents when I was in elementary school. All my games came on optical discs, or were installed from some pirate collection by my sysadmin uncle. My Mom used the smallest kind of floppies in her laptop well into the mid-late 2000s.

>picking USBs off the ground
it's like you want to get hacked

My floppy ceased to be after your Mom put her lips around it

Been looking for this kind of equipment for weeks!

I bought some for like two bucks recently. Kinda regret it right now, because I realized I'll need to hook up my fuckass old stationary computer in order to put useful data on them to transfer to the laptop which I want to install linux to. It doesn't have an ethernet port, nor does it allow for booting from CDs. It has an RJ11 port/modem, but after briefly attempting to get the win95 install currently residing on it to communicate to pppd on another laptop with an RJ11 port, I gave up on trying to get info onto it for the time being.

Hoping to put DSL or tiny core on it.

These fucking things had those shitty nubs on the top that would constantly break.

nigga just format that shit

if that doesn't work, it's either broken or it has shady firmware you should be cautious of

if not, of course, before all that, the thing fries your USB hub.

but really, there's no reason not to try.

>nor does it allow for booting from CDs
There are floppy based bootloaders like PLPBT that allow you to boot from a CD or USB flash drive on systems where the BIOS doesn't support booting from those options. I used it for installing DSL on an old Pentium laptop from CD and for installing Debian/Arch on an old Celeron laptop from a flash drive.

You are actually retarded. Wow.

>USB
this thing is ancient, my dude.

It has a fucking IR port, but no ethernet and no USB.

On the upside, it doubles as a self defense weapon.

Completely theoretical, but do you think I could hotswap the floppy/CD? In reality I'll just end up waiting until I can write to the floppies, and use the "poor mans install" method from the DSL wiki, involving copying 1.44 mb .part files of the DSL ISO onto the hard drive, then mounting that.

>>USB
>this thing is ancient, my dude.
>It has a fucking IR port, but no ethernet and no USB.
Did you read my post you stupid nigger?
>PLPBT that allow you to boot from a CD
>I used it for installing DSL on an old Pentium laptop from CD
If your laptop has a CD drive and a floppy drive then you can boot from a CD with PLPBT. The laptop I put DSL on using PLPBT was an IBM Thinkpad 760E from 1996.

this wasn't an attack vector back in 2003. not a common one, at least.

I still use them today. Mostly for transferring small files on and off legacy computers

Last time I used floppies regularly was around when I graduated middle school in 2007. I was using an ancient Thinkpad T20 with a floppy drive. Given that I went to a very working class school, none of the other kids owned USB keys or even had their own computer they could work on, so I really didn't know any better. Going into high school my parents bought me a Macbook (which was completely inferior to the T20 actually) which obviously did not have a floppy drive, so they also got me a 256 MB USB key. After that I never looked back.

How are your floppies all corrupted?

My parents have about 700 Macintosh formatted floppies. Last year, after graduating but before I started work, I had the unenviable task of archiving their contents. I think I came across maybe 4 or 5 unreadable disks out of all those. Is there just something HFS and MFS do better than FAT?

I still use them to store some doc/xls/txt, you know those archives you need to keep away from the pc (either for security or because you can't afford to a miss click delete) but at the same time you know they will be modified in the future, and using an SD/usb for a >1mb file seems stupid.

Also as i have an usb floppy drive they're pretty much portable as any flash memory, except in size of course.

I needed to print something in college, showed the IT guy in charge of printers my floppy and he said "we're not taking those anymore"

So i got a 64mb pendrive and never looked back. It felt huge considering I used to have 1.44.

Later on I got something like pic related, 2GB. It was the shit.