Guy at work gets fired for using Tor browser. Boss brings in IT to explain why it's bad...

Guy at work gets fired for using Tor browser. Boss brings in IT to explain why it's bad. IT is a 50+ year old dude with a pocket protector.

>user was using a Hacker program to backdoor our servers. It's called Tor.

learn to greentext

was he using it at work or at home? if at home, howd they know he used it?

Well isn't green text technically for quoting?

It was at work, he used to to get to facebook. A valid enough reason to fire the dude, but the "Deep net" 60 minute special description made me want to eat my own face.

go be new somewhere else

Pretty sure he used greentext correctly

see

He's just being a fag because I didn't use it to quote a post.

How's this green text :^)

while that story obviously never happened, that is what happens when you break the aup when using a corporate device on their network.

deal with you fucking retards

gtfo of my board newfag

It did happen, I didn't say he didn't deserve to be fired, it was their explanation that made me cringe. I mean yeah, he broke the rules, but some fucked up misconception could have led my boss to pressing charges. He didn't because the dude he fired was cool, but the IT guy who charges the company about 100 bucks an hour obviously doesn't know shit about anything.

what's wrong with pocket protectors?

Their network, their rules. A literally-named hidden service on a secured network is kind of the biggest no-no. The fact that jobless jerkoff used Tor to punch through a firewall shows a massive lack of judgement on the whole.

Jjfj

This.

Though the firewalls at work already block tor, i2p, and a couple others.

Deep packet inspection sucks, but it's a corporate network. There is no reasonable expectation of privacy.

The biggest thing is the statement;
>I want to not work on tasks you've given me to that point that I'm going to put in effort to not work

>working in IT
>current year
Nope what a horrible boring enviroment

>looking up "vintage artwork" while on the job

Holy shit get it together.

>do internship at the gubberment
>shitpost on Cred Forums all day
>pass
Yay.

That too, props to old man IT for shitting on facebookers.

So you're planning on remotely accessing the network to plant tor on random work stations right? For the lulz? Put some lemon party on the IT guys system.

what did you want him to say? He could explain the entire tor protocol and how easy it is to bypass the network security or he can scare everyone into compliance.

Just so you know, his speech wasn't aimed at you.

using > to denote a quote is a convention that goes back to email mailing lists and newsgroups.

Cred Forums practice stretches this convention a bit, also using it point out irony, or to intentionally misquote someone for humor.

example
>>user:Well isn't green text technically for quoting?
>(you): I'm a tremendous faggot, please plunder my asshole

what's wrong with being 50

He deserves to be fired, you never use TOR with personal information. Hey check your bank account with TOR it's super safe to do that.

he could probably sue for wrongful termination.

if they really actually made the allegation that he was somehow breaking the law without any evidence they are fucked.

Actually most IT guidelines that you sign onto if you ever read the agreement covers this. It would not be wrongful termination either he did read and neglected insubordination or he signed and didn't read. Just sucks that the poor sap got caught. Also made easier if they were roaming profiles. TOR traffic is easy to spot when looking.

tor is really not any less secure than using open wifi, realistically its probably more secure than using open wifi because hypothetically you know who may be sniffing the exit node, where you have no record at all of who was in the coffee shop when you logged into your bank.

The reason you dont use tor with personal information is because it deanonymizes you (which is the reason you use tor).

its common, and incorrect to conflate or correlate security and anonymity.

>using anonymity software to get to Facebook

BREH
R
E
H

cover tor?
that I could buy into. If they fired him for breach of contract, alright, he deserved it.
but if they just brought him in and said "he's accessing a system for which he doesnt have authorization", that is a felony under the computer fraud and abuse act. he could sue the it guy for defamation and then go after the company.

Calling a person a hacker is bad and can get you in trouble.

would be covered under general security as those contract would be stupid long if you had to start listing all methods of communication. Same story as some companies saying you can't make connections to your home machine.

yea lets say you were some industrial spy or hacker or whistleblower, you could justify your tor usage to say 'i just used it for facebook' and nobody could prove otherwise.

assuming there is no man in the middle attack where it gives you a false certificate it would be safe to do your banking on tor actually.

but using personal info on tor is like the opposite is what it is for.

>whistleblower
Then contact HR, which "should be" a separate entity and not hired in the company. I have seen a lot of bad HR practices, let them know. Then get the paperwork rolling, but the usage of TOR for such an act "if" breach of contract is still a breach of contract. There is no real oh it's ok, you caught this insurance company charging with a hidden fee not mentioned, to the person and found out an out of court settlement has been made to the company and not the charged persons. (real event btw) You're just SOL on using TOR... again "if" breach of contract.

not trying to justify a person using it at work for facebook.
Just pointing out that it isnt inherently unsafe to do things like banking over tor.
The security for your bank is provided by your bank and your browser the pipe is less relevant.

Holy fucking shit, are you actually retarded? He said he agreed with the decision it's just the reason why that makes him cringe.

What's up with all the fags lately? Never seen them out and about before but now they're everywhere?

I used it at work to bypass firewall. Nothing happened as our IT branch are full of idiots who even won't fix printers. Thanks to this i can torrent whatever i want.

>IT being empowered to touch printers
they have to walk the fine line of 'somebody else bought a support contract for the worst piece of shit ever designed'

Another terrorist brought to justice.

Just wait until President Trump gets sworn in and declares instant death penalty for suspected internet terrorists. Maybe even carpet bomb Tor with atomics.

Damn, that bitch was so fucking hot.

Still is, user. Still is.

You're telling me. I miss the 80s bimbo look. Now every whore wants to look like Kim Kardashian

So.. You got fired using Tor at work to shitpost huh?

Nice use of puts().

>OP is a fag regardless

god I've wanted to bang her so bad all these years

How about you get the fuck out.

>implying every exit node hasn't already burnt up due to cp shitposting.