So what's the deal?
What's different from 4?

t. non-webdev

Other urls found in this thread:

w3schools.com/html/html5_intro.asp
twitter.com/AnonBabble

NOTHING WRONG WITH ME

w3schools.com/html/html5_intro.asp

There is no HTML4, it's just a branding name.

Basically the flash killer, it included new things like audio/video elements, canvas elements, worker threads, and hardware-accelerated animations which required plug-ins like flash to do with html4.

My dumb tech friends mostly like that site.
The ones that are smarter than me swear it's cancer.

Are you meme-ing me?

Like...its more jewgle

This. We should be using browsers made by people who eat foot fungus off of their feet and weight 400lbs.

Takes over the Flash features

If you understand web shit then it's cancer otherwise it's one of your only options

You can't use HTML5 on YouTube at higher resolutions... what's the point?

Why use HTML5 for YouTube at any resolution?

It's kinda outdated as far as webdev goes. But if you're looking for a quick answer on an obvious question without having to decipher what the hell's going on like MDN (Which is better but rather technical.) it's good enough.

Media features and being able to do OS things in the browser (sockets, hardware enabling)

Because it's not the woefully unsecure Flash

Why use Flash?

There's little reason to use it other than better resolution support when there's an alternative available on a website, but much of the internet still relies on Flash and so not using it "locks you out", so to speak.

>There's little reason to use it other than better resolution support
You don't even need it for that. I don't use HTML5 or Flash for YouTube and could still get 4k videos

Even sites that DO use flash you can generally just wait for the flash to request the video file, then play it directly in the browser. Most sites use mp4 instead of flv anyway.

You can also script around the flash stuff directly avoiding the flash embed altogether. There's nothing that really needs flash other than arbitrary DRM (not STANDARD drm) like some of the schools have on their E-textbooks which are awful and should definitely be put to the torch.