/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/5cGhy

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Other urls found in this thread:

rizonrice.github.io/resources
youtube.com/watch?v=GNUGjFzenq4
github.com/Airblader/i3.git
howtogeek.com/66214/how-to-forward-ports-on-your-router/
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Profile_(Portage)
releases.ubuntu.com/16.10/
threatpost.com/hack-crashes-linux-distros-with-48-characters-of-code/121052/
github.com/rgcjonas/adwaita-semidark
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Can somebody give me some useful guides or tips for ricing/personalizing Debian XFCE? Looking for a more dark theme, sorta like dark grey with light red writing

rizonrice.github.io/resources

>download gtk theme
>download xfwm theme
>put it in /usr/share/themes or ~/.themes
>select it in your theme thing

Is void good, I'm sick of Gentoo's compile times and errors.
>inb4 hipster distro

Void is a useless hipster distro. If you are going full vegan go install Haiku and show off

Whats Cred Forums's thoughts on Elementary OS ?

Pantheon is nice

It's Ubuntu with a different DE and it's so far downstream that I wouldn't consider it for any serious application.

Why? It is the second largest systemd-free distro next to Gentoo, and isn't source based. If anything, source based packages managers are for hipsters.

fuck off pedo

>systemd-free distro
Running a server?

>Display all 2490 possibilities? (y or n)

Holy shit, that's a lot of programs. Sometimes when I start writing one of them that I need and hit tab halfway in, I see all those little unknown programs. To think that there's a package somewhere which they belong to...

Most recently I discovered serdi.

>Usage: serdi [OPTION]... INPUT [BASE_URI]
>Read and write RDF syntax.

Nope, just desktop use and C development.

Then stick with systemd

What's really the benefit to linix?

it's light weight, you get more 'control', durr command line.

Why do programmers prefer linux

the quality of this bait is very low

>inb4 it's not bait
just google it then

>you get more 'control'
That's not a meme

I'm still on windows 7 at least

It's not. And I'd just prefer to be spoon fed and here honest opinions from you guys

Sorry, I don't want a a large chunk of my OS controlled by RedHat, A company who's largest customer is the NSA.

Then you shouldn't go for GNU/Linux at all, since RedHat has been already one of the major contributors to that even way before systemd was a thing.

You list the most important answers (not that I personally care about the "weight"). If you don't understand them, I'm not sure I can put them in a way that will change that.

It's not really that it offers specific advantages for programming (though it is helpful), it's that it agrees more readily with the way programmers think.

One of the other big things I like about Linux is the software repositories and package management. Software management on Windows and Apple feels archaic compared to this now. Going to some random website and downloading a program, or buying a disc with the data on it, installing in some idiosyncratic process, updates handled on a per program basis. It's weird.

Thank you.

So windows doesn't have kernel-level security

Do most distros come with that?

Where did you get "kernel-level security" from that text?

Something I read in another thread about windows being a botnet. And it got me reading on SELinux.

Any good, updated, noob-friendly guide to xorg.conf? My Debian doesn't recognize the max resolution of my monitor and the tutorial from the Debian Wiki doesn't work since it doesn't create a conf with the necessary modelines.

I already set up a xrandr script that adds the modeline and changes the resolution at boot, but the TTY still looks tiny and that triggers my autism.

But RedHat's contributions to Linux have been audited. Systemd is so complex and large that it hasn't been fully audited yet. Also it's suspicious how RedHat wanted to push Systemd on all the major distributions so quickly when a init replacement wasn't such a huge priority.

>xorg.conf
>TTY

The Linux kernel is larger and more complex than systemd.

>Also it's suspicious how RedHat wanted to push Systemd on all the major distributions so quickly

>one of the major commercial linux players
>main business model is support
>gee how can we possibly make more money
>i know how, let's make everyone else use our project and that way we can get more money from offering support to it

There, your "mystery" has been solved, idiot. Sorry if it's not conspiracy enough for your retarded mind.

>init replacement wasn't such a huge priority.
Says who? Are you a top contributor to a distribution? Are you a member of the RedHat board? It obviously was a huge priority for them, otherwise they wouldn't have spent their money and resources on it, idiot.

They spent the money and resources on systemd because NSA probably contracted RedHat to make a low level init that also acts as a backdoor. This isn't far fetched since the NSA tried to backdoor the Linux kernel 3 times and failed.

>backdoor
>in free software whose source everyone can read

Kill yourself, you retarded, conspiracy theory nut. According to your logic, you should stop using the Linux kernel at all. If you don't stop using it, you're a hypocrite which renders your arguments invalid.

No advertisements in the UI.

Can anyone suggest me tiny liveCD destop with alsa and browser, non-systemd Wayland-based desktop prefered.

How fucking incompetent do you believe the NSA to be?

>desktop
EFI-capable also.

But the linux kernel has been fully audited, systemd hasn't. And it is very easy to diguise backdoors as bugs in OSS ex. Heartbleed bug.

If your still too retarded to understand to reject systemd, here's a short video summarizing the arguments against systemd: youtube.com/watch?v=GNUGjFzenq4

If you are an actually shill employed by RedHat, I highly suggest you kill yourself. You only make the world worse acting like a cancer. I will even ship you a noose if needed for free.

BTW, in the time you have been shilling on Cred Forums, I already have a functioning Void install with lxqt.

>But the linux kernel has been fully audited
Stopped reading there.

CLI only? How to you do anything? Even RMS uses a wm once in a while.

>shit argument
>deflecting

systemd was also fully audited 6 years ago so you have no argument.

No, he's an idiot that decided to go "full Wayland" and has no utilities for taking screenshots so he needs to keep taking pictures with his phone.

Proof, haven't found that anyone has even started an audit on systemd. NSA audits don't count.

>But the linux kernel has been fully audited
The Linux kernel includes binary blobs, it's impossible to be fully audited.

>what is linux-libre
>what is deblobing

Something that should not just be called "Linux ḱernel" anymore.

It's the linux kernel, it just has all the blobs removed. But of course your a lennart shill and use a fully blobed kernel and non-free repos.

No, I use Wayland window managers, they have nice backward capability with xorg, but I prefer Wayland software (webkit-based browsers, mpv, QT5, GTK3 etc.)
But mostly I use console apps, rtorrent, cmus, fdisk, gcc, make, nano...
Also some drm/framebuffer graphics software (mpv, fbpdf, etc.)

It's an unofficial fork at best.

So? Your point?

When you say "linux kernel" you're obviously expected to talk about the official release, not some fork which even has its own name to not be confused with it.

Ok, I misused the terminology. I ment that linux-libre has been fully audited.

iv bought an openvz vps, and one of the available gnulinux distributions are gentoo, I want to use it because it is a bleeding edge distro. I've tried to, but I ran into many problems, the first of them is that portage version is too old, when i try to update it, I get this error message: "error unsupported eapi 5"

Python version is 2.5
portage is 2.1rc1(I think)
linux is 2.6.32

>I'm using Fedora 24. If I use dnf search keyword it gives me a list with the available and installed matching packages how do I make it show only the installed packages?

dnf list installed
or
rpm -qa

I just deleted bash with package manager, how to restore it?
I put in filesystem /bin/bash, but system still doesn't work, I can't even chroot in it, what to do Cred Forumsuys?

Hey guys, just switched to linux on my laptop permanently, wiped Windows completely off.

Any ricing guides?

Also wifi isn't working, will only detect one wifi network which is a broken extension anyway (doesn't work on anyone).

Also I usually use pycharm as my python editor, is it good for Kubuntu?

You're retarded

I've been switching through a few different IDEs / terminal emulators. Do I need to do something to delete say KDE off my machine after installing Gnome?

I'm trying to decide which VM use with my slackware install for running kali. Is VMware my best option or are there others I should consider?

What's the significance of that picture?

A Quantun Theory offers a very different expanation.

>ricing guides
Yes, you install themes, apply them and change options.

>wifi isn't working
That's not enough information to troubleshoot and issue. Either way, by the way you worded it, it's impossible to help you fix it.

>is it good for kubuntu
There is no "good for [distribution X]" software. The same version of a program will work the same on every distribution.

Yes, you remove it with your package manager.

You can install the programs you use on Kali on Slackware too, you know.

Systemd is too big.
Can you help me, or you don't know anything about your Free Open OS like all this ubuntutards?

I've yet to see an "ubuntutard" deleting bash from his system

It was a mistake

i've just installed gentoo and checked for the available portage version, it's 2.2_rc16.
any one is willing to help me upgrade?

Okay but you need to use Kali for certification.

Well, you either can go and research on how to manually copy bash into your system so you have a chance to fix it or you can just go and re-install.

Asking here does not count as research.

>deletes bash
>ubuntutards

hoo boy.
is sh there? chsh to sh and you should be able to reinstall the package.

I can help, tell exacly what you need.

There are certified Kali-users?

It is part of the the OSPC certification you 'tard.h

how can i upgrade portage on an old version of gentoo

I had tried to build bash into my system, but it didn'd finished installation.
/bin/bash works from systemrescueCD, but I can't chroot in it, just error without explanation.
Can you tell me what bash is?
1. /bin/bash
2.. ???
>Reinstall Gentoo
Thanks, no.

>csh
>sh
>dash
I'll try to install them and chroot.

What's the standard VM software you folks would recommend for Windows to try Linux distros out in?

Thanks, from now on I can say that these threads have already proven that even retards can install gentoo.

Install Python 3.4/3.5
Set python 3.5 as main.
Try update portage, you will see some errors, rebuild packages, delete some, and upgrage portage.
If you find trouble go here and show error.

Even kids can install and use gentoo every day, redards talk that is difficult.

I always just use hyper-v because it's there or virtualbox

Ok, i run "emerge --sync" and all is good.
i run "eselect profile set 1" and run "emerge portage" to update portage itself
now the error is showen again: "!!! ParseError: Profile contains unsupported EAPI '5': '/usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/13.0/eapi'
and do not tell to install python3 i know emerge need only python2

and i even though portage needs python2 only, i can't install any thing at all
so saying to install python3.5 is useless to me

You don't have 4MBs spare on your harddrive? With such an old computer, you have way bigger problems then.

VirtualBox says I need to enable software virtualization specifically when compiling on a 64bit system other wise I will need to use hardware virtualization to run 32bit hosts on my 64bit machine. What exactly do I need to use to do hardware virtualization?

don't want to shitpost, but why should I use linux? windows covers literally everything I need to do with my pc, plus i am not a turboautist so I don't do any programming at all.

seems like a waste of effort is all

really? none of you "install gentoo" people know how to upgrade a 2008 gentoo system?!

I am trying to get bumblebee to work on my laptop(hd graphics 3000 + 630m) that has debian installed on it. I know that bumblebee is functioning partially as the led indicator shows that the iGPU is ebing used. I have installed the nvidia driver and bumblebee packages but the kernel module "nvidia" is missing and I can't run programs with the dGPU because of this. Wat do?

Pls help

How do people have onli like 600/700 packages?
I just dont get it. On Arch i have like 1.3k and when i used ubuntu i had +3k.

>that pic

I usually generalize it a LOT. If it's forced out of me I will say I use GNU/Linux, and I will generally support unix-like systems in general and not say what distro I use unless it seems really relevant. That aside, I actually really avoid discussing this most of the time. It kind of gives me anxiety because of how normies will attack you if you don't use Windows. It's hard to describe, but I guess it's like Microsoft is their friend and I have personally wronged them if I'm not using Windows. It actually gets a bit scary. Both in the sense of "wow there are people this stupid/crazy" and in the more direct sense of them getting loud and aggressive.

Sounds like you have way worse issues than your choice of OS

ive installed ubuntu last night and i had tremendous problems with my internet connecection.
although it established ive had a download speek of 50kbit/s.

ive found the solution to the problem anyway.
it is in the network card of the laptop, a realtek 8723be.

the hack around it was to install the proprietary driver from git, however, the internet was still very slow.

the ultimate solution were following commands

modprobe -r rtl8723be #for removing
modprobe rtl8723be ant_sel=2 #to connect

question:
is there a way to execute this when I boot or do i have to type this in manually everttime?

I have no sound on my kali what do?
No devices to choose from in gnome sound preferences either.

I have 1648 on Fedora xfce. The under 800 ones are running very minimal i3/openbox & everything portable just pointing to /bin.

Is this normal vim behaviour? I don't know if it's a bug. Can someone confirm this?

>hit A to append at end of file
>hit Escape to go into normal mode (exit insert mode)
>hit O to start typing in line above
>letter O appears for 1 second at end of file before disappearing and cursor moving a line above like it's supposed to

>linux 4.8 comes out
>arch linux releases 4.7.6

bleeding edge my ass

you don't need sound to hack the world

>Systemd is so complex and large that it hasn't been fully audited yet.
Where are people getting this bullshit? There are dozens of examples of other programs that are just as complex as systemd (or more so), and no one has this complaint about them.

Examples: The Linux kernel itself, various compilers, internet browsers, version control methods (git, mercurial), and probably tons more I that I can't think of off the top of my head.

All of these are comparable to systemd in complexity, meaning that they're constantly evolving and changing nearly every day because there's tons of features and bugs that need to be addressed, and that landscape is always changing over time. These programs can't ever be "fully audited" because they're changing too often. But, because they're all FOSS, anyone can go through the code at any time and raise an issue about it.

Also, RedHat working with the NSA in any capacity doesn't automatically taint all of their FOSS endeavors. Even SELinux is fully free software.

So unless you can find some actual evidence that systemd has malware/spyware, then stop pretending as if it does. If an issue like that is ever discovered, then someone will either fix the issue or make a fork that doesn't have the issue. That's how it works.

AND, if you still want to be an overly-paranoid weirdo, you can use a variety of other FOSS init methods that still work just fine.

My vim doesn't do this

>masina
sa-mi sugi pl
you might have a .vimrc that doesn't normally come in other distros

despite the Cred Forums memes, arch is actually pretty stable, and so they are not always bleeding edge, although they are still a lot closer than anything debian-based

just compile the latest kernel when it releases if you want it right away, this isn't even all that uncommon

>overly-paranoid weirdo
They just have difficulty assimilating their ideas and prioritizing because they get stuck on one thing.

Yes, this is normal behavior. It happens when you press O within one second of Esc when your vim is nocompatible (specifically, esckeys is on).

See :help esckeys for more info, about how you can either ruin your arrow keys or set a shorter timeout to avoid this.

This has been answered literally hundreds of thousands of times. If you're happy with Windows, stick with it. I went to Linux because it runs great on older hardware, handles ram usage much better, doesn't grind my fucking hard drive to death when I'm literally not doing anything on it, and a LOT less likely to have viruses/malware. Oh, and if the file manager crashes for some reason, it won't take half the PC down with it.

I just tried using the default config file and it's indeed not happening.
My config isn't even that elaborate and I only added features which I use (didn't just copy-paste one found on the internet). Shit, I guess it's time to remove one option after another to find the culprit.

I'm at 450 right now on one of my Arch machines. It feels pretty good my man.

>just compile the latest kernel when it releases if you want it right away
I've been sitting on the mainline kernel for two weeks because of the OOM killer bugs in 4.7, kinda wanna return back to the official package because zfs-linux targets it.

>OOM killer bugs in 4.7
scary

GNU/Linux is free/open source whereas Windows and Mac are proprietary. That's pretty much the main reason.

Free/open source software benefits over proprietary:
- doesn't hide its intentions from you (proprietary software must be reverse engineered, otherwise you put your trust in the owner/maintainer)
- running it as you please (no drm)
- dissecting it, learning how it works
- modifying it for your own needs
- sharing your modifications with others, so that they get the same benefits

So yeah, muh freedums is the primary reason GNU/Linux even exists or has any prominence at all.

Wow, that was a surprise. I just used set noesckeys and got the behaviour I wanted. Thanks.

I'm fine with the "ruined" arrowed keys, since I don't use them.

Oh it ain't scary, it's fucking infuriating. I had to play whack-a-mole with Chrome tabs that were dying three seconds after me reloading them (picrelated).
It was pain.

I installed chromiumOS on my brother's mother in laws laptop. Which is basically Linux kernel with chromium.
I installed Linux mint on my nieces computer that still was running Vista.

99% of people use their computers just for web browsing.
I need to remove windows10 from my mother's NUC. She has absolutely no idea what is Google Chrome. But she knows how to get on Facebook (by clicking Chrome shortcut). She almost called the "tech support" after she landed on a phishing page

protip: if you have any Vim troubles/questions, you'll probably get a faster & better answer from the /r/vim subreddit. AFAIK it's the largest and most active vim community, and there are a handful of vim-wizard-autists there who are always waiting to give you answers.

>tfw wrote my first shell script
>few weeks ago I was a completely illiterate windows 10 user

hey I know it's not much but it feels nice

I don't find Reddit convenient because you need an account and then you have to log in.

I remember that feeling. My first useful scripts on Linux were barely a dozen lines long, bet they did feel amazing.

Good job, user. Don't stop, it gets even better.

So inconvenient.

Happy hacking :)

Convenient conveniences are important

Fuck off annoying cunt.

I wanna try out a window manager is i3 gaps good

You're already using one.

im on xubuntu should i just stick with the default or move on

How do I ssh into my PC when I'm not on the same LAN?

hey Cred Forums, what's the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use?

Just like any other connection to your PC from outside the LAN, you need forwarding.

Hey guys. Newb to using Linux here, and I'm looking to have my MacBook pro run it. I want to run elementary OS or solus. What are some innate benefits of using Linux over macOS? I know I could run PC games with an application. Just looking for some good reasons, as I'm interested, but at this point, I haven't found anything that is super compelling. Thanks!

Fedora netinstall + openbox.
tint2 optional

How would I set up such a thing?

If that's a hurdle for you you probably shouldn't fir security reasons.

I'm trapped in vi and can't get out

esc

I'm very new to this subtopic of computer use so yes, maybe I shouldn't. Could you point me towards a tutorial or even some Wikipedia articles where I can start learning what I need to know before setting it up?

:q!

or something

thanks

upnpc -a `ip -4 addr show| perl -ne 'm/inet (.*)\/.*dynamic.*/ and print $1'` 22 22 TCP

anyone got a simple guide on how to install i3-gaps on linux

clone github.com/Airblader/i3.git i3-gaps
cd i3-gaps
./configure && make install

What exactly does the Perl code do?
This is what I understand:
>upnpc is used to open ports
>22 22 specifies port range to open (port 22)
>TCP is the protocol for which access is granted
>ip -4 addr show puts current IPv4 addresses in stdout, this is piped into...
>single line perl program; n means it's looping over and over; e means the following is a single line of code

is there any program that can clean up ubuntu for me

Gentoo should take care of that.

is there away to keep my xfce panels

It gets your ip address using ip.

I just assumed maximum retardation and wasn't sure he knew how ip addresses worked.

And how would that help him at all?

I'm the same dude.
Any reason why you're using Perl to extract the IP instead of grep? And I'm genuinely interested in how that Perl program works; I don't know that language.

Qemu

How can i play wmv file?
Vlc crash
mpv crash
what do i do?

i3-gaps

Install it from internet, download, unpack, run
./configure
make
make install

dont use a toaster
logs faggot

Don't bring cancer into this thread faggots.

??
this is what i get when i run ffplay

@56905179
People whining about tripfags are the worst. Give me better advice instead or fuck off. Check "Anonymize" in your 4chanx settings and move on.

9th line

I filter tripfags, and everyone should
Im not going to make tripfags user, when they are tripfags

ip -4 addr show
Basically just lists all interfaces with ipv4 addresses. Output would look similar to this.

1: lo: mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1
inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
3: wlp3s0: mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP group default qlen 1000
inet 192.168.1.103/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global dynamic wlp3s0
valid_lft 85897sec preferred_lft 85897sec

perl -ne 'm/inet (.*)\/.*dynamic.*/ and print $1'

This will run on every line of output, the and before print tells it to only print output when there is a match, so although it runs on every line, in this case its only going to print once.
m/blah/ is how you tell it to match something, the (blah) is how it knows what belongs in $1 for print. The rest is basic regular expression, .* matches any characters of any length. dynamic is there so that it prints only dhcp assigned ip addresses instead of the static ones like your loopback address.

You could probably do it with grep but I don't know how so I use perl because its simpler to me.

The 22 22 is internal port and external port, upnpc --help to see how its used.

>if I can't see the cancer, there's no cancer
>meanwhile the cancer grows
Filterfags are cancer.

Which part of "DRM" don't you get?

>@
what is this bullshit faglord? do you even Cred Forums?

I dont know anything about it, 1st time getting something like this. I just want to watch Swiss Army Man 2016 720p BrRip x264 - YIFY.wmv

Again, how would that help him at all?

That guy posted a serious and (at least partially) helpful response to my question while you're whining that the green letters above his post aren't the same as yours. Now tell me who's more cancerous.

His response wasn't worthy of an actual reply.

Thank you. Are there any security risks associated with doing that?

ssh is pretty secure in its default configuration as long as you have passwords for your users, you may want to change the port part 22 22 to something like 22 2322 so that its forwarded from a higher external port to avoid most attacks.

>downloading wmv
seriously bro
google

I wasnt looking what type of file is.
Im downloading new one, mkv :D

mkv does not support drm

if you search a place to suck off attention dick, please fuck off to reddit

Passwords for my users, check.
Does it matter what external port I specify or do I pick literally anything except 80 (which I know is used for IP traffic)?
I'm assuming if I run the above command on my home PC it'll spit out my external IP that I then connect to from my remote machine?

Debian

Games that can be played on the terminal besides nethack?

Then by that logic, unless void ships with libre as it's default kernel (it doesn't), then that totally invalidates the argument about systemd, since you're still using a very large part of the system that hasn't been audited.

Port forwarding, basically you need to identify each part of your network where traffic is being filtered. Since you're a noob, it's probably just at your router. To break it down simple, most routers also act as firewalls that allow your computer to reach out but they don't allow other devices to reach in. You need to configure your router to allow external devices to reach in by specifying which ports people are allowed to communicate on and which devices on your internal network that traffic should be forwarded to. Your router has an IP address that is recognizable and routable on the internet and your computer has a different IP address that identifies it on your local network behind the router; You need to tell your router that any traffic on whatever ports you want to use needs to be sent to those ports on your computer.

This is a pretty basic rundown and glosses over some of it, but it should help you understand any articles you read. Be careful what you forward, you'll be exposing it to the public internet unless you know what you're doing with a proper firewall setup.

When generating my initram it throws
==> WARNING: errors were encountered during the build. The image may not be complete.

Is there a switch i can run that will shine more light on this? I'm at a loss on what could be throwing this error. Where does one start to find whats wrong?

>@
>4chanx

wow, what a faggot

please, please, PLEASE read an article on basic home network setup and networks in general. I can tell from how you're wording these posts that you don't know what's going on and that's okay but read up on this before you do it. If you forward an SSH service just to try it out with an insecure configuration it will be picked up in an automated attack very quickly

That's why I'm asking for help here first.

Got any good guides you can recommend before I start sifting through the thousands that are on the internet? I have a very basic idea of how it works; my poor wording is in part due to English not being my first language.
Just so I understand this correctly: When I type "what's my IP" into Google, it actually returns the (external) IP that identifies my ROUTER on the internet, not my pc / phone / laptop that are connected to it. If I forward e.g. (pc local IP):21 to external port 2121, then an outsider could connect to (router external ip):2121 and send data that shows up at port 21 on my pc?

What font is that?

If you google "Home network port forwarding" you'll get plenty of good ones

howtogeek.com/66214/how-to-forward-ports-on-your-router/

I realize I'm stepping on a landmine here by saying this but google is really fucking good at recommending answers for this kind of thing.

How do i get almost 3gigs of ram usage but when i look at processes i see this
>pic

>other processes that are not in pic are combined around 20-30mb

You don't have 3 gigs of ram usage

A very very bad one, don't know why you would bother asking.

How do i make mpv stop using my 2 monitors in full screen?
When i go into full screens, video is being played over both monitors.

I want to be able to ssh into my desktop from anywhere. (In a dorm btw)
I'm pretty sure the uni firewall doesn't allow me to ssh into my linux machine (connected through ethernet).
Is it possible to ssh into my mac, then ssh back into my desktop?

It looks familiar, is all.

Configure your multihead accordingly?
I doubt it's a mpv issue

Yes.

How would you ssh into your mac if it's behind the same firewall?

oh well i was wrong :D
i started video with ffplay not mpv :D

add it up.

anyone try or using the hawaii DE?

linuxatemyram.com

I don't think you understand how networking or firewalls work

>swap
kek

linuxatemyram.com

I really don't ;_;
I only got the idea from an article I saw about getting around corporate firewalls and I believe it listed a similar strategy.

>durr what is an ssh tunnel

How do I undo this script's actions?
/usr/bin/vfio-bind
#!/bin/bash
modprobe vfio-pci
for dev in "$@"; do
vendor=$(cat /sys/bus/pci/devices/$dev/vendor)
device=$(cat /sys/bus/pci/devices/$dev/device)
if [ -e /sys/bus/pci/devices/$dev/driver ]; then
echo $dev > /sys/bus/pci/devices/$dev/driver/unbind
fi
echo $vendor $device > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/vfio-pci/new_id
done

Got this from the installgentoo wiki for pci passthrough, but wanna undo it

Reboot.

ZZ to write (save) before quitting

ZQ to not

How do I git gud at linux user?
Already have a linux desktop, I'm teaching myself C right now, what languages are good for networking type stuff?

Pick up a book on linux system administration. Though there is quite a bit you can ignore in these books like email configuration, they tend to cover core system stuff well.

Does not work, tried multiple times, and am unable to access the files the script creates, even as root, currently searching why

What init system does Cred Forums recommend, and why? Like, what should I look for in an init system?

It does work, you just don't understand what you are trying to do.

systemd since it's the future

say your desktop is in your dorm, and you're at home. you connect to your dorms IP address on port 22.

how would the dorm's router / firewall know it should connect you with your desktop? the only way is to configure the dorm's router / firewall.

Most likely.
Perhaps the flaw isn't in the script after all.
Thanks user.

openrc

/sys/ is populated by your kernel, it isn't a physical filesystem really more of a file based way to control parts of the kernel, that script just unbinds drivers from PCI devices and then gives control of the device to vfio-pci.

I don't know what happens to the pci devices after that but if you reboot all pci devices are re initialized and the Linux kernel handles loading the drivers so you should be in the state you were in before you ran the script.

How can you people use serif fonts in your UIs? That looks horrible.

>testing CentOS in a VM
>install epel
>can only install openbox, firefox, terminator
>nothing else I want is found
>can't even scrot

This is shit senpai

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Cred Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

We're going to need one for passusers too

I just installed Arch. What packages do I need for Unicode characters to display in Firefox?

systemd-unicoded

>scrot
bloat, git gud with imagemagick

noto-fonts, noto-fonts-cjk and if you want emoji, noto-fonts-emoji

>using outdate server distro for daily driver updated distro
kill your self

>scrot is "bloat"

usless additional package you basically just installed because the other cool kids installed it

I'm pretty sure that webpage is already using one of the Unicode encodings and all of the characters are being displayed. What you're missing is a font which covers all of the characters, so you don't get those boxes.
Basically do this or install any other broadly covering fonts like DejaVu.

I have no need for imagemagick
It is a bloated "suite" of tools that serve no basic functionality,such as taking a screenshot

How do I change the default font in Loonix?
Im running Debian with no DE.
I tried searching for it on but I guess im searching for the wrong thing or looking in the wrong place.

>imagemagick takes up >5 MB
>scrot takes up neither are installed by default on CentOS

thanks familia.

>No DE
>Change font
Retard. I bet you are using GUI applications as well

use ffmpeg then newfag
inb4 no need fo ffmpeg

>Im running Debian with no DE.
Some people have jobs, you are not one of them

Only chromium and a handful of others.
Everything else is a terminal application.
Is there a way to set a default font instead of changing the fonts for each application?

>DE babbies in full defense
priceless

sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-setup

Did the trick. Thanks fó €»aó €»m.

Stupid question, I have this XFCE theme how do I extract files to ~/.local/share/themes? Does it even exist because I can't find it

make it then

or put it in ~/.themes

>He actually runs X-org
Lmfao holy shit, noob get out

Xfce*
X.org*

thanks

>no need fo ffmpeg
firefox uses it

>friendly

>lightweight
Important because responsiveness. Also, you just don't want to waste resources when you can spare them for other programs you might want to run in the future.
Plus, it's one of the very basic postulates of programming philosophy - "less is more and more is less". Stuff that is less complicated and more light has less bugs, more security (because there isn't quite as much to attack), it can be easier to grasp for a programmer or a sysadmin. Sure, everything can't be lightweight, sometimes you need something heavy, but it's overall better to go in that direction for many purposes.
>control
Open-source is quite literally about putting control in the hands of the user. It's only natural you would get some fucking control out of it.
Even Linux kernel can pretty much throw out almost every feature it has when not needed. And the whole system is built up from projects from different people, even on its most basic level. This hinders developing a uniform system somewhat (which is why DEs are a thing, having a separate project just for that is really the only way), but it leads to well-defined interfaces between programs, increased awareness of the ecosystem by developers and many things being non-essential for a system or exchangeable with other options. Which naturally leads to lots of control over your options.
Also, the fact that like 90% of Linux programs are open-source and you can put a hack to support your favourite program whenever you want, and maybe even push it to the people who develop it, helps too.
>command line
Scripting capabilities. Programming is done in text, and scripting is "programming lite".
It's good for complicated tasks since text is so flexible. You do need to learn it before you can use it efficiently, though. It is pretty much the power user way of interacting with your system.
Also, command line programs tend to be more lightweight too. Graphics are hard on computers in general.
All your reasons are perfectly valid.

Open Source means that you can look at the source, that's all. It does not imply any freedoms of control. Furthermore Linux includes binary code, which basically makes Linux proprietary software.

Download Portage from github and install it manually from there, then reemerge the portage package.
The other options is to emerge portage from overlays where there are packages which don't need EAPI 5. A look at zugaina site tells me poly-c overlay and ROKO__ overlay have one ebuid each which are written with EAPI 2. You would have to have layman though, or download it yourself somehow. Afterwards, if the work at all, the can be used as a bootstrap.
Not much you can do if portage doesn't support your ebuild EAPI. Basically, your package manager doesn't support the protocol which tells him how to emerge the package manager.

autism*

>which basically makes Linux proprietary software
wouldn't say that, but surly it violates the gpl
then again it's a good thing that people ignore it, since it makes linux support more hardware

normalfaggotry*

le norman rooooo

I'm currently installing gentoo, and I'm trying to figure out which profile to get.

What exactly is the difference between these? (.. is default/linux/amd64 since I don't plan on using hardened)
# eselect profile list
../13.0
../13.0/selinux
../13.0/desktop
../13.0/desktop/gnome
../13.0/desktop/kde
../13.0/desktop/plasma
../13.0/developer
../13.0/no-multilib
../13.0/systemd
../13.0/x32

(with systemd options for the DE's)

I guess my main questions are these:
What exactly is a profile?
What does it have to do with a DE?
Why am I just selecting one DE here if you can have multiple?
What would /13.0/desktop do?

>choosing convenience over freedom

>selinux
enjoy your botnet

>binary code
Isn't is binary firmware that can't even run on CPU, though?
Every binary driver that actually needs to run on CPU is not allowed, I think.
Or am I misunderstanding something?
>open source means that you can look at the source
Legally, yes, you would need at the very least a BSD-style license to guarantee the minimum freedom needed for absolute control over your software.
I meant that historically the movement arose because of these motivations. Thus, "open source is all about control". Well, OK, "free software is all about control", I guess.

nice meme

basically sets the right values and use flags.

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Profile_(Portage)

Guess who developes SELinux.

(tin foil zone)

Haven't selected anything yet.

So if I wanted to go back and forth between DE's, I'd just use 13.0/desktop and I'd be fine?

The fucking NSA develops it, and it's a known fact that the NSA spys on people. It's putting 2 and 2 together.

>So if I wanted to go back and forth between DE's, I'd just use 13.0/desktop and I'd be fine?
That's the one I've also used and never had any issues. You can always add or remove USE flags after anyways.

I wish that the NSA actually worked towards making the nation more secure. Right now the name of the agency is basically newspeak, because it intentionally introduces/fails to report backdoors and security holes so that it can exploit them, and it pushes industries towards less secure standards.

Kernel-level security is a kind of vague term. Windows and Linux both have kernel level mechanisms for controlling memory access, and preventing arbitrary code execution.

SELinux enforces certain kinds of security policies. Most major distros (Fedora, Debian, Arch, Gentoo, etc) have SELinux as an option.

Well here you're implying that the nation is the citizen. They do make the nation more secure, just not its people.

Where is my October Ubuntu release??? REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Debian/Ubuntu use AppArmor but its seems pretty similar.

releases.ubuntu.com/16.10/

>releases.ubuntu.com/16.10/
Oh, sweet. Thanks!

What firmeware have you flashed on your:
NB controller
SB controller
SATA controller
USB controller
NIC controller
BIOS
?

Hypocrite

>BIOS
CMOS*

$ sudo topkek

Why do you guys even like this trash? It doesn't make sense. Why couldn't they keep it simple like DOS commands?

So a faggot is okay to delete your / ?

>320 master race

Although that's my fiddle VM I haven't done anything with yet because I hate gaying up my regular system testing things.

RMS BTFO

forgot pic

It's always funny to see people trying to sell Linux with "free", "open source" and "control" buzzwords when they bully windows users, but when it comes to actual freedom, they keep defending proprietary software and hate on RMS like true cucks.

Opinion on Opera browser?

What are you even on about?
Freetards go on suicide watch when ever said above is brought up.They cant flash all that so its forced proprietary :^)

>freetards
>suicide watch
12 year old memer spotted

is there a window manager or desktop environment that is functionally similar to windows?
I like being able to resize and snap windows with the mouse and keyboard. When I wen through a arch linux phase I used rat poison and it worked well enough until I hadn't used it for a few weeks and forgot all my hotkeys

kde, xfce, cinnamon, mate and lxde all function like windows to my knowledge

as for window managers, blackbox, fluxbox or openbox I guess

I'm using LXDE, and I don't think openbox (which LXDE uses by default) has the tiling that I was talking about.

Been using Debian for about half a year now and would like to try Arch. There were a lot of small things I had to mess with before getting everything to work the way I liked/at all. Is there any way I can backup every single thing, in case I want to change back I could just load the backup and be good to go?

I want to switch my old netbook to a lightweight distro that boots up quick, shuts down quick, and just runs with little overhead in general. I know little about Linux. The thing has 2GB RAM, a 1.6ghz Atom and a 1024*600 screen.

Is 'stock' cinnamon mint good for the task? Can I get a decent browser and maybe HTML5 video with that?

dd if=/ of=debian.img

I'm pretty sure you can configure it in rc.xml.

You definitely should be able to use keyboard shortcuts to do so. Mouse may be trickier but the variables are in place I think. Check out the openbox wiki.

I'm a fan of using a clonezilla live image

What do I do to enable software rendering in mesa? What driver am I even meant to use? Xorg configure doesn't detect a device.

Is there a way to execute ranger file manager in i3wm on startup?

take a look at lubuntu

add it to your xinitrc of i3's statup file

ty, but the problem is I want to execute it in terminal on a specific workspace

read your terminal and find out its exec switch and have it start

example
urxvt -exec ranger

I dont use i3 but i know other wm/s with workspace allow you to position shit on it via switches

threatpost.com/hack-crashes-linux-distros-with-48-characters-of-code/121052/

systemd users wil defend this

and?

Just tried it; didn't work.

next

>expects an already patched bug to work
retard

urxvt -e

wmctrl

>bug discovered
>bug patched
how will they ever recover

it works, thanks a lot

So I'm new to Fedora and I'm wondering about repos. I've already installed rpm and all that, but how do you know which repo to add for whatever package you want?
Spotify, for example, requires a repo to be added before you can install it, but the repo itself doesn't show up in dnf search 'package'.
Is there another command to search ALL repos or do you just need to go to that package's site?

>cool, code that could crash my system
>just run it, yolo
Arch user spotted

Nobody is using Fedora.

Ubuntu. :*)
I have nothing of value on this machine, and it restarts in seconds anyway, mang. What are you, some kind of pussy?

Has GNOME acknowledged that Software is a laggy piece of shit? What are they going to do about it?

lmgtfy.com/?q=fedora+spotify

>GNOME Software
but why

Kek

Arch would get the patch fresh off the oven :^)

>yify
>shaanig
it's like you hate quality

Will someone explain filesystems to me? There's all sorts of elitism about which filesystem is superior, but I've never seen a rational argument about why, for example, Ext4 is better than XFS or HFS+. The only thing that everyone seems to agree upon is that NTFS sucks, but I haven't seen any real reason for that either.
Is it just dumb elitism?

NTFS is fine if you are dual booting.

Life is surreal

Nothing makes sense to me these days

I feel disconnected, like I'm watching a movie

The way i talk with my friends, my family, how I interact wit the world

It just seems like everything is simply wrong

I think I may be going mad, but I don't feel mad

I feel like everything is an illusion. Like I'm waiting for something that never comes

I don't even know what I'm waiting for.

But it doesn't matter

How can it not matter to me what I'm waiting for?

Everyone seems futile.

They seem interested to talk about such small pathetic things.

And I play along so I don't go completely insane with loneliness.

I talk about the same stupid shit, I laugh at the same jokes, I hear the same opinions.

And I start to feel like I'm the only one, the one who's wrong, the one who's simply a mistake

All everyone seems to talk about is sex, video games and party

And I hate it all.

So. Fucking. Much.

My sides! That OP image. Well done user.

>The fucking NSA develops it, and it's a known fact that the NSA spys on people. It's putting 2 and 2 together.
Just because they spy on people in some ways, that doesn't necessarily make everything they touch and do about spying. SELinux is licensed under the GPL. If it is used for spying, then you should be able to find some code proves that it does.

Until proven otherwise, it isn't spyware. It's an additional security layer that allows for more control and precision than standard Unix permissions, and it's completely open to be examined by anyone. That's why its used by Fedora, a very adamantly free/open source project.

use the command line, problem solved

When using package managers, how the fuck am I supposed to know what to install? I'm fed up of reading guides on how to get everything I want and feel like my system is a mess.

install just what you need faggot.

What are the specific benefits that only lubuntu brings in?

Assume the low resource DE and the inherent new linux user friendliness from ubungu are the benefits you would get from lubuntu.

>When going to a restaurant, how the fuck am I supposed to know what to order?

Hey guys. I just installed ubuntu gnome and wanna now how to install this: github.com/rgcjonas/adwaita-semidark

I hope you can help me.

looks really old, probably wouldn't even work now due to gnome shenanigans.

I bought a cheapo Chinese Intel Atom tablet, is it possible to install Linux on it?

New thread New thread New thread

Just curious, but why ChromeOS instead do say, Ubuntu Mate? Just so in case she wanted to do more, she could. I did that for a friends mom. I visit her at least once a month and install any updates that have come out. She never has any issues since I gave her the talk about how malicious websites work. She checks her email, plays games, listens to online radio streams and is learning how to edit photos with Gimp. It's awesome to see elderly people making an effort to learn about Linux.