Webp thread

In the midst of all this chaos regarding server costs I think this would be a great time to test out the newest open source, royalty free, and widely supported image format of the future. Now with firefox pretty much becoming irrelevant and most people using Chrome compatibility won't be too much of a problem.

Benefits of Webp:
>lossy encoding with transparency
>legit lossless encoding
>support for 24-bit color animation with transparency (replaces GIF but not WebM)
>~50% smaller file size than JPG at the same visual quality
>~25-50% smaller file size than lossless PNG
>codec support for windows photo viewer can easily be added
>many photo viewers both on Android and Windows support Webm from the get-go

Full res of pic related here:

my.mixtape.moe/nqvdrz.png

WebP encoder (CLI): storage.googleapis.com/downloads.webmproject.org/releases/webp/index.html

WebP encoder (GUI): github.com/samuelcarreira/webPGUI

I think that we should add support for WebP on Cred Forums first since we are the most nimble with computer stuff though we now have a GUI encoder for WebM so I think even non Cred Forums boards will be able to convert images to WebP without too much trouble.

Other urls found in this thread:

koyaanis.com/webp/sfw/
alexa.com/siteinfo/Cred
romeolight.com/products/webpconv/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Here are some examples

koyaanis.com/webp/sfw/

Depending on content file compression efficiency can go past 50% compared to JPG

Daily reminder gook is just a greedy cunt.

I'd rather just delete /pol and Cred Forums.

Not really, Cred Forums has actually somehow gained popularity. Were not ebay tire popular but we're slowly getting there. Honestly not sure if this is good or bad.

alexa.com/siteinfo/Cred Forums.org

They are a part of Cred Forums unfortunately. I dislike them as much as the next user but Cred Forums is not complete without them.

Cred Forums was much better with Cred Forums dead.

>Honestly not sure if this is good or bad.
In what way could that possibly be a good thing? It's horrible, of course. Large influx of new users, generated mostly by Cred Forums, /soc/, Cred Forums, and Cred Forums not only massively reduce the posting quality of the website as a whole, but also increase the traffic disproportionately.
So both its direct and indirect effects are all bad for the site.

I really wish we could do that, but the users of those boards will just shit up the rest of Cred Forums instead.

>posting quality
its 2016 and Cred Forums has a long trackrecord of "posting quality"

stop shitposting your "oppinions"

>delete Cred Forums
terrible idea, the average user starts on Cred Forums
think of Cred Forums like a Cred Forums introduction, that way you get used to some of the culture and the edginess before you go to the real boards

In NSFW version increased the size of file
>and benis

>Mixtape.moe
>Drop Your Fire, Senpai
How I hate this world.

romeolight.com/products/webpconv/

Here is a GUI converter with batch conversion support so you can just drop a folder in and hit convert.

It dumps them in a new folder to your desktop by default.

This, the gold user has spoken.

It's actually pretty useful.

noice

>noice
Yup, only thing I really noticed was that it seemed to not use all my CPU power, only about 40-50% on a 5820k. Even with a very large queue.

> let's recompress already compressed content so that it looks even more shit in an esoteric format nobody uses
no

bloatgirls shill pls go

i'd rather not posting images, kim

It's more efficient compression than everything else, which could be useful for reducing the bandwidth costs on Cred Forums. Also, Chrome supports webp, and Firefox has plans to support it soon, so it's not as if it's completely esoteric.

FLIF16
L
I
F

lol
>the ride never ends

>still in alpha development
>no browser support
DOA
O
A

>The bitstream is kind of finalized as "FLIF16" now, just like GIF87 was finalized in 1987. Future bitstream-changing stuff will go in a new branch, which will eventually become the "FLIF17" or "FLIF18" format (whatever the year will be). Future decoders will decode both FLIF16 and FLIF1x.

you are still right about the DOA part tho