I just realized that appchanx hasn't been updated in over 7 months

I just realized that appchanx hasn't been updated in over 7 months

Is there a newer fork? Do I have to move to another of the classical forks if I want new features?
Which ones are good and which are bad nowadays?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/zixaphir/appchan-x
seaweedchan.github.io/Cred
github.com/ccd0/Cred
github.com/nebukazar/OneeChan
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i also just realized the same thing a few minutes ago [spoiler]because i wanted to watch gook's evolution of 4pass styling[/spoiler]

bump for curiosity; when i started using appchanx it was definitely the best of the current options out there but my mascot has been 404'd for months now

I remember reading that it's all been consolidated into Cred Forums X, but I could be horribly wrong.

Cred Forums X my man

And I seem to recall the name oniichan but I can't remember anything about it.

I recently switched from appchan to X. And I use Oneechan to get the same style as I did on appchan.

>not using ccd0's Cred Forums X fork
>current year

I assume you, like me, are using github.com/zixaphir/appchan-x

seaweed was the first Cred Forums-x, i think (seaweedchan.github.io/Cred Forums-x/) but that's discontinued

there is github.com/ccd0/Cred Forums-x and ccd0 is one of the current devs recommended on seaweed's page as alternatives. ccd0 also mentions zixaphir, mayhem (which i remember trying), spittie (also remember that one). So it's probably the next one to try. Also it was last updated six hours ago.

Ya see I still use appchan and have no problems with it. Everything works for me, so I'm a little hesitant to try anything new. I used to have Cred Forums X and Oneechan but switched to Appchan since it was better.

just use the native extension, it's far better than all this other crap

wonder if there's a way to export my current appchan settings to a file so i can disable/remove appchan in order to properly test new stuff and see if i want to switch

Well, ccd0/Cred Forums-x feels weird so far - seems like there's more padding on the posts - and the options aren't split into category tabs. but so far it doesn't seem terrible. and I guess anything I can't stand I can customize.

I've been using Cred Forums X and appchan long before Cred Forums could natively do anything. I remember when the main reason I had these scripts were for auto updating threads. I don't even really know what the native version of Cred Forums can do, is it comparable to appchan and the like?

been using Cred Forums x + Oneechan for a while

there are like five "Cred Forums x" extensions bruh, that's like saying "I've been using GNU+Linux for a while"

I want to be able to see both the timestamp of a post (in case I screen cap something) and the relative time since it was posted (for easier browsing). Most extensions only provide a toggle between the two.

in ccd0/Cred Forums-x, you can set the timestamp to be shown and the relative timestamp to be its "title" attribute and show as the tooltip on hover.

Here is the custom CSS I have so far, that should add an :after pseudoelement with its content drawn from its parent's title attribute:
span.dateTime:after {
content: " (" attr(title) ")";
}

But the relative timestamp only renders after I hover the element (and stays rendered when I remove the mouse).

Pic related - top is my desired behavior, and bottom is what a post looks like before I've hovered it.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening? I thought maybe it had something to do with the way you have to hover the element to show the title tooltip, but it's not like the title doesn't exist until you've hovered it.

What's wrong with the website itself?

I always hear people complain that all these chanx things always break or that they are never updated.

quote threading, I just can't browse anymore without it

what you are describing is normal.

Say you have a primary Resource A. When it updates, everyone gets the new version at the same time. You can complain about it not having Feature X or Y, but it's the baseline and it works.

Now say you have an Extension B that builds on A. B has Feature X and Feature Y already. People who really want those features now prefer to use B instead of A.

Now A updates, adding Feature Z. Say the update doesn't break B. Users of B are now faced with a choice: go to A to get Z, or stay with B to keep X and Y. This is when you hear complaints. Different people make different choices here based on their priorities. But eventually, the developer of B updates and now it supports Feature X, Y, and Z.

Some time lag between A updating and B updating is unavoidable (unless the devs collaborate internally). It's the price you pay for the extra features an extension provides. People complain because they're human and humans are not always rational. The longer the update takes, the more people complain (and the more it's probably justified).

Sometimes B never updates. This is when Extension C is created, by a user who got fed up with the time lag between A and B and decides to roll his own. Now the end users get to choose between three feature sets.

Unless it's dead, B will probably update eventually. Sometimes, this puts it ahead of C. People who value features over stability switch to B, and people who value stability over features stay on C.

Of course, A is always the most stable, because it has full control over how to implement features and because it's not racing to update faster than its competitors. But for the same reason, it usually has the lowest number of features because it's not competing with anyone.

I bet Cred Forums native doesn't have gallery view, or autoload images, or inline IP counts, or names on forced user boards, or batched file loading. I'm downloading a browser to check atm, because I don't know.

These are the only two scripts still getting regular updates afaik.

github.com/nebukazar/OneeChan
github.com/ccd0/Cred Forums-x

>it's not like the title doesn't exist until you've hovered it.
It doesn't. Cred Forums X creates it on hover.

The post cooldown timer no longer appears for me in my appchan