Google Earth Installed itself

Got home today and started the rig, and noticed something amiss, a logo that was not on my desktop before.

Checked the dates and it installed last night while I was asleep. I never saw any permissions appear for it.

there are a few reports from around 2010 of this happening, but I can't find a more recent one. Any ideas what on earth is going on?

Doing an anti-virus scan incase, but this looks like it legit came from google - which is madness that it never asked my permission to install.

>he thinks software can install itself

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

I think you know what OP meant.

It did it seems.

Though it doesn't seem to be all that installed itself, I've also got overwolf now, for some reason. I used to have that, but I uninstalled it ages ago, so what the fuck is that doing back...

The same thing happened to me but I had Google Earth installed but almost never used, totally forgot it was there.

Noticed the changed icon and remembered I had that installed. Uninstalled right after that.

It's legit, if you have any Google software installed, you have Google update service running for them as well.

>He doesn't know about the botnet fairy that installs software with the pc turned off while you sleep
Why do you think most people here have uptime of years?

check the created date in the picture.

It wasn't installed beforehand

I get what you mean about the updater though as the older posts (2010ish) do mention google's updater being what causes it. I don't get why this would happen 6 years later, though.

true, if u installing google chrome from installation given by google, they running on background process they can do whatever they wanted, like example google products, when visiting google hangout/docs/drive, it's automatically install google talk/docs/drive plugin etc.

>the rig

>overwolf
kek

no
All my creation dates show the date it updated and not when it was installed for the first time. Just like OP.

maybe someone used your pc

If you have Chrome installed, or still have the google update service installed, it downloaded google earth last night.
Happened to me too, and 3 of my friends.

I'm suspicious that since Overwolf is installed, something else led to both being there. It wouldn't make sense for google to install overwolf.

overwolf also auto-installed some months back on my old win10 machine user. I'm not kidding. I never installed that shit or anything that included it (I've been very careful with installing stuff).

Having looked in the overwolf folder I think it at some point put itself back on, (probably with a game update which features overwolf, of which I am aware of 1 and I don't play it anymore, so I'll get rid of that). Overwolf is updated first, at 4am. Google Earth followed at around 5:00am.

it may be a coincidence that google chrome stuck google earth on the same day as overwolf decided to update, but it's pretty damn weird regardless. Can't find any proof that Overwolf does this looking it up though.

>C:¥Users¥Public¥Desktop

what the fuck

Japanese locale set for playing weeb games. Screws with the characters in pathnames but doesn't really affect anything else.

programs installing themselves #justwindowsthings

>. Any ideas what on earth is going on?
You installed Chrome, and google updater installed it

>Yen symbols instead of slashes in file path
is this some kind of hot new meme?

The MacBook Pro with Retina display doesn't have this problem.
GNU+Linux also doesn't have this problem.

The botnet is installing itself to your machine.

I don't know if it's hot, but it isn't new, and it is vaguely memetic in that it spreads and replicates willingly through a culture.
Just setting locale to Nipponese does that. Since there's so many nip only programs (EROGE), and almost everyone else uses UTF, that should probably be expected for compatibility alone.