The free ride is over and noticeable amount of people hopped back to Windows 7

pcper.com/news/General-Tech/free-ride-over-and-noticeable-amount-people-hopped-back-Windows-7

>A change of one percent may seem tiny at first glance but historically it is an incredibly large shift in market share for an operating system. Unfortunately for Microsoft it is Windows 7 which has gained share, up to 48.27% of the market with Windows 10 dropping half a point to 22.53% while the various flavours of Windows 8 sit at 9.61%.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Other urls found in this thread:

pcper.com/news/General-Tech/free-ride-over-and-noticeable-amount-people-hopped-back-Windows-7
pcpartpicker.com/list/f7CPFd)
arstechnica.com/security/2013/12/perv-utopia-light-on-macbook-webcams-can-be-bypassed/
store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

OSX lost one percent since june!!!!!!!!!!!1

RIP applel

here's your source by the gay, good job on the analysis.

>linux so insignificant it has less markethsare than a 15 year old operating system
AAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHA

I heard from a reliable source that by 2020, we'll all be running OS/2

>people are still running Windows 8
>on purpose

I'm actually liking it. As long as you disable tile view using classicshell.

>pcper.com/news/General-Tech/free-ride-over-and-noticeable-amount-people-hopped-back-Windows-7
Their only way to entice semi computer people is through dx12, and even then they're fucking up. Horizon 3 is full of glitches and performance issues and basically tries to shove down your throat Groove Music.

Fuck them.

windows 8.1 is better than 7

boots faster than 7 but otherwise no benefit to me

You have to admit it's way better than 10 though.

Windows Server 2016 already hit RTM, scheduled for release within the month. I'll finally be able to upgrade from 7 and 2008 R2.

You do know what marketshare is, right?

Yeah 8.1 is decent, I don't get the use of a start menu or the metro, I don't even use it myself. You can just search the program you need with win+F. But gotta find a way to search in 'Everywhere' when pressing win+F.

Agreed desu, 8.1 is the pinnacle of OS design.

I like 8.1, the only thing people really disliked were the tiles, not really suited for desktop use. I personally like them and use them often but classic shell is always an option too.

We can see you Pajeet

Don't run the server edition as your main Desktop OS you end up googling tweaks for basic functions.

I'm one of those guys using Windows 7 right now.

If there's ever going to be a time in my life where something catastrophic happens to my main computer. This is the time for it to happen. Within the next few years I'm going to become a Linux-main guy and only run Windows through virtualization. Once I'm on Linux, I feel like I'm going to be safe for the rest of my life.

I'm at my most vulnerable state right now. If there's some huge exploit that will compromise my data, put a screamer in front of my face, or a million little "you are an idiot" sound pop-ups, this is really the time it is going to happen. If there are any would-be hackers/pranker out there, now is really the time to strike.

What if I'm running it on a server? 2008 R2 runs perfectly fine for shitposting and gaymes while running two VMs in the background and hosting multiple RDP sessions.

whats your ip

That's like saying that
you like to eat dirt because is better than eating shit.
All my friends who bought computers with win 8 switched to windows 7 because of how ridiculously incompatible win 8 is.
Windows 7 is the last windows

I was a day one adopter, used it from 2012 up until the free 10 update. I never had issues with it and can see why 8.1 held a decent market share for awhile after 10 release.

Hacking isn't like that anymore. If someone accesses your camera, or botnet-ifies your computer, you won't be aware of it.

Only the extremely inept and people who have modded out "metro".

What are camera LEDs? What are router traffic logs? If someone planted a virus on your computer there are easy ways to tell.

Incompatible with what? I've been using 8.1 for a few years now and don't remember ever having compatibility issues.

Virtualization is very nice. The only Windows install I have now is 7 in my VM with a GPU, NIC, SSD, and a couple USB ports passed to it. (pcpartpicker.com/list/f7CPFd)

I am going to add another level once I get some more hardware in the future. My base install will have only free software, and I will have a proprietary GNU/Linux VM, and my 7 VM. My main install will be where I do most things, and it will also function like a hypervisor. Then I can do most of my computing in an environment where I can trust every program I have installed. All proprietary software will be kept in a quarantine where it can't hurt anyone.

Neither of them. I use keyboard shortcuts you see. Not a retard who cries about some start menu and whatever.

but but you can turn camera on without the LED!!!11

How? The LED is hardwired to the camera. Software can't affect it.

Just installed Windows 7 Ultimate a month ago, will stay on this until 3rd party support ends, so like another 10 years.

QUESTION:
what would I lose by rolling back to Windows 7?

(I use Nvidia hardware so dx12 is meaningless to me)

You'd lose telemetry and inconsistency

nice buzzwords

>a webcam with a hardwired indicator LED that nonetheless allowed image capture without lighting the indicator LED.
arstechnica.com/security/2013/12/perv-utopia-light-on-macbook-webcams-can-be-bypassed/
It's fixed on the newer apple laptops now but I wouldn't be surprised if many third-party webcams are still vulnerable.
Also many cameras LEDs are not even hardwired. Apparently many of Logitech's camera LEDs are software controlled.

Currently nothing. In a few years we might see some win10 exclusive software and hardware. Also, I suspect that the support EOL for win 7 will come rather sooner than later to force people to switch to 10.

But neither is a problem at the moment.

I've had the webcam on my Dell Precision be on without the LED being on...

M$ are cancerous fucks. The sooner they die or make Windows great again the better.

USB webcams used on desktops tend to either have LEDs controlled by software or no LEDs at all. On most laptops they're hardwired. Not sure about recent (2015-onward) ones though. More laptops seem to be getting rid of the LED.

Microsoft pushed people to upgrade who had PCs that couldn't run Windows 7. My mother's PC that was built in 2007 with an end-of-life AMD Radeon 3850HD card got upgraded and the "basic" driver support for it was nigh unusable. Microsoft even tried to upgrade my father's PC when the RAID driver was explicitly unsupported on Windows 10 (built in 2008).

A lot of people, including myself on my own PC, derived benefit from the Win10 upgrades. But a lot of people with older shittier windows installs (who didn't know about the reset/refresh PC option or didn't want to do it) or had crap driver support probably had a bad experience.

Towards the end of the upgrade period, some people were upgrading and immediately reverting, to "park" their Windows 10 digital entitlement if they decided they wanted it later.

>Windows 7
>not already incompatible with basic external and even internal hardware
>implying support will stay the same or magically get better
Windows 10 is the last Microsoft "OS", and Microsoft knows it. Doesn't matter if it's good or not, it's gonna be the last and only Windows soon enough

Software and games. I don't remmember exactly which applications and games since they switched one year ago. I suppose not everyone has this issue since we all use different kinds of software.

I blame UWP
Its useless now that Phones are not a thing.

DirectX12 isn't a brand loyalty it's important.
You don't understand the API wars aren't based on video cards but the programmers using it

Its a pity people arnt adopting linux, general usage is great these days, it just lacks some of the hacks and tools windows users are accostumed too.

Linux has no software.

Buy programmers made code for AMf hardware because consoles use cheap AMD shit.

Windows 10 will never get wide enterprise support because every day Microsoft breaks computers with forced updates. It's a widely acknowledged problem but they are doing fuck all because all they care is getting the market share up, they think statistics are the most important thing.

Not a single serious enterprise will ever adopt windows 10 because it's horribly unreliable and patching might seriously fuck up the system.

It's so bad companies would rather install Arch and pacman -Syu than update Windows 10 because you can fix xorg, but you can't really get out of a reboot loop.

Linux has no software because developers are used to Windows and its marketshare means greater exposure and therefore sales. All it takes is for Adobe or something similar to make Linux versions of professional software and spur the movement to Linux.

Do they realize how unsecure it is to use a Windows OS that has no support from Microsoft? Damn Windowsfags are retards.

I went full Linux for 10 years and rarely touched Windows.

Earlier this year I decided to go master race and got a (gaming) laptop and decided to dual boot. I am shocked by how bad Windows 7 actually is. The resets, the updates, the lack of software. If it were not for steam I would wipe the partition immediately.

Windows 8 is unusuable for me. I tried Windows 10 and it's more of the same. I cannot fathom how Microsoft made Windows, Windows, unintuitive to use.

The company is finished. They can't (won't?) compete with their own product and are now doomed. It is a matter of time before a cadre of execs and devs splits, forms the MS equivalent of Fairchild, and delivers a brand new old school OS for Desktop and corporate. Half of Redmond will defect when they do and after that it's OGRE.

Literally only a direct US government intervention will prevent the inevitable.

You're dumb.

Windows with or without support is still a buggy piece of shit. Using XP is probably safer at this point.

>Win-DOH!-s using a 15 year old Windows operating system that has no support from Microsoft anymore
>AAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHA

>people are still running Windows 7
>on purpose

Only because I'm waiting for Server 2016.

8.1 is not better

8.1 is incompatible with many versions of very functional legacy programs that work fine on 7

Windows 7 still gets security support until 2020.

Your waifu is shit, Thad.

What the fuck was Microsoft thinking anyway. People accept trash mobile apps on phones and tablets because that's the best they've got. You can't just ruin an OS and programs overnight and expect people to swallow it.

Who is W10 even catering to? It's an objectively worse OS for everyone.

>implying microsoft will have made a decent os by then
Moving away from Windows now will make it easier when the inevitable happens.

Except normies do. I see tons of students with laptops that have Windows 7 or 8 stickers on them running 10 because it updated automatically and they don't know better.

>Apparently many of Logitech's camera LEDs are software controlled.
That's retarded.

>3.14MB image for a blurry anime girl
>Win10 fags, everyone.

Only thing that could save MS is if Bill Gates himself came back and took over R&D.

Nope windows embedded 8.1 is the best of them all.

This. At least in those days Windows performed well and looked absolutely amazing.

>Towards the end of the upgrade period, some people were upgrading and immediately reverting, to "park" their Windows 10 digital entitlement if they decided they wanted it later.

haha, I did that on a bunch of systems.

You're a fucking idiot.

Do you guys think Windows Server 2016 is less botnetty than Windows 10? I was thinking of using it as my daily driver

>install windows 10
>everything works the same, keep computing as normal
>no issues thus far

whats the "horrible reliability" I keep reading about?

Most of them are either old people or pajeets who insist Win10 is botnet.

I.E. no one that matters.

>1%
>THE SKY IS FALLING

meanwhile on PC's that aren't owned by total plebs win10 is sitting at 47.5%

store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

In the end none of this will matter, win7 and 8 will lose support.
PC makers won't ship their PCs with anything other then win10, and only win10 will be sold in stores.

It's a fully componentized and modular Windows 10. No "apps", no Windows Store, fully configurable telemetry from the whole deal to absolutely no background data collection or analytics. Still runs all your games and programs and has the full desktop experience. It's what Windows 10 should have been.

There isn't any, there's just a swarm of dumbass Indians who shill Win7 like OP is doing and they're naturally louder than the reasonable Win10 users

>implying pajeet gets paid for "shilling" old windows

>tfw not on Imagine yet
Oh well, guess I'll give it the 180 days. Thanks, user

Every time I go to use my friends computer and see all the stupid tile bullshit and ads in the start menu I'm happy I'm still on 7.

You're a retard if you still use Windows.

yes lets use linux and have to type command prompt commands to do basic actions that seems like a good plan

or use osx which doesn't even have a fucking file explorer

and no, finder is not an explorer

>calling it 8.1
you fell for the marketing.

Still blows my mind how people don't use 8.1. The only Windows I'll use (When i need to use Windows)

Litterally use the super key. It's the one key people are terrified to use.

I like to use my Windows 10 machine and fire up visual studio everyday!

It is sad to see so many people in this thread trying hard to prove the world their better. When in fact, they're just a bunch of neckbeards living in their parents basement.

Meanwhile, I enjoy my six figure salary and a healthy lifestyle, thanks to microsoft .NET ecosystem.

Thanks Microsoft

John Wide

Oh, so you're a unifag too I see. Make use of that Imagine subscription. You (or your parents) pay big money for things like that.

It was 20bux, user. I payed it with my own money. We also get VMWare Pro for like 10$ here

Enjoy your cancerous subscription with your cancerous OS

$20 for a subscription is still better than paying the $1000+ retail price.

well the ads/suggestions can be removed and turned off. Some of the suggestions have actually be useful though and I kind of like having news updates from my start menu so I leave it, but I could remove those if I want to in 30 seconds. Your friends probably just don't care enough, but they're super simple to get rid of.

Fucking white pajeet

T. NSA

Do you even know what Imagine is? It's not a subscription for the OS, it's a way to get discounted or even free software that works for life through a student or personal subscription to an online store.

I actually do make 6 figures, albeit it in trades, microsoft hasn't done fuck all to help me make money, but my computer came with it and I dont care enough and dont really have the time to fuck around with other operating systems.

Thanks for being the reasonably affordable, default option microsoft, you're just mediocre enough to allow for some degree of complacency.

holy shit

No. But clearly you also didn't knew what a cock was. But you must've liked it, cause you took it like a champ.

>visual studio everyday

I would feel sorry for you, but you probably have no idea why this is a bad thing.

I paid nothing beyond what I pay for tuition to get Office 2010, Server 2008 R2, and soon Server 2016. How am I getting metaphorically raped as you have described?

I don't get all of the Windows 10 hate. I've stopped booting Linux at all and I'm thinking of deleting it and making my second hdd a dedicated torrent disk because the bash shell in w10 isn't bad.

Follow all of the guides to disable all of the phone home shit w10 does and make sure it only does updates when you say so, and it's better than 7 in every way.

I can't even run most games on my laptop with 7, but with 10 they run just fine @720p

>the bash shell in w10 isn't bad
lmfao

lmao even cygwin is better than that shit

that looks like a fucking nightmare
why do people keep using windows, I don't get it

Install SP1, don't update at all for anything else unless directly related to OS browser attacks that encompass more than IE, use Comodo to lockdown file access, don't have a shit system.

5 Years, no problamos.

If you like configuring the shit out of a de, I'd look into loonix.

Is there any proof of this in regards to telemetry? From what I had read before, the telemetry model is the same as 10 except that you can disable most of it, like LTSB. But not all of it.

Honestly though, UWP is pretty fucking great.

I gave the RTM trial a try and the settings (as well as group policy) for telemetry can be completely turned off. Left it running for a few hours and saw no internet access requests.

I dunno, works on my machine

>free software

Note that I said "free" and not "libre". There's a difference and I am aware of it

>implying most gamers aren't still total plebs

You could go full stallman and call it gratis software.

It works on mine too, I just found a bug that causes it to fail to install because Windows is a piece of shit.

It's pretty comfy, honestly.

Well shit, I hope my college gives out keys when it's out so I don't have to bother with cracks or other nonsense.

I'm still kind of skeptical though that they could sneak shit in to updates. I don't update 7 anymore because of that.

It's a fucking Server OS. I know Microsoft has been reaching new lows with how they treat Windows 10 but they're suicidal if they force updates to Server 2016 and major websites and datacenters go down because of it.

With a little group policy magic, it's possible to set updates to defer from downloading at all until you say so.

That doesn't work in Home, which never had GP, and to make it worse many GP options are disabled in Pro.

I'm not just talking about forced updates, I'm talking about how they roll all their shit into one big update now and don't tell anyone what's fucking in the update.

>the OS will reboot without your consent and destroy unsaved data.
If Microsoft removes the methods of disabling automatic reboots, I'm going full Linux and boycotting them.

>home

They do. You just have to click on the more information link which takes you to their website where you can look at what's included in each bundle. I'm still on 7 and I haven't seen anything suspicious but if I did I'm not installing any of it.

When will ReactOS liberate us from this prison?

You have no idea how many people are running Windows 10 Home. I cringe inside every time I see someone using that malware disguised as an operating system.

Yeah because obviously there would never be any botnets in that...

Are you?

When there's commercial incentive to move to it/develop it.

>â–¡â–¡ â–¡mp
This is why ReactOS won't even compete with Linux.

Windows 7 Ultimate on my laptop.
Server 2008 R2 on my server.

No it's not.

>Windows 7
Shit, time to upgrade son.

>Ultimate
lol

I'll upgrade to Windows Server 2016 when it's released.

Fuck no

nice jugs

shh

I like Windows 10 fine, as long as it's the LTSB version.

Who else has taken back control of their PC and locked down Windows Update? That shit isn't going to reboot my computer without consent ever again.

On LTSB and haven't gotten a single update.

always have, always will

Well never mind. Not installing it though.

Is Mac OS X really that much less popular than Linux? I would have thought those numbers would be the other way around.

For some things, yes.

The only that will happen is you will get hit by a crypto-virus and lose everything.

Aww, don't be butthurt little Nvidiot

I have automatic updates turned on all the way. Automatic updates with my OS, my browser, and as much software as possible. I even used Securina PSI before it broke for no reason and took an infinite amount of time to scan my system.

Yeah it's annoying, but I have repaired one too many computers in my day that were on some seriously out of date patch level of Windows or other software and got owned by a six month old exploit because they were too lazy to run Windows Update.

I'd rather be annoyed than pwned.

XP is King

You can allow Windows Update to do everything except restart the computer. I'd rather be slightly insecure than lose data when I step away from my computer.

I used to be like you. I used to set Windows update to automatic and wake up to a fully updated system on the second Wednesday of every month. Then came all the telemetry and user-tracking bullshit, as well as forced updates to Windows 10. From then on I manually review updates every time they arrive and selectively install them. Takes no more than 10 minutes each month to ensure some control over what gets installed on my computer.

It's over

Linux has won
Microsoft is finished and bankrupt
Wincucks on suicide watch

My university and the city government office I interned in still uses windows 7 on nearly all their computers.

You are fighting a battle you cannot win. If having control over what you put on your computer was your goal, the losing move was using a proprietary operating system in the first place.

I made my peace with Windows 10 and after some initial irritation now I think it's an all-right operating system. It has all of the nice shell enhancements from 8, and using Metro apps isn't a pain in the dick anymore.

If you were using an open-source operating system or even an operating system you wrote yourself the hardware is still proprietary. It's all about having a balance between total control and total handover of what you own.

That's just because of all the office/schools that use it because its too expensive to upgrade/retrain all their employees. And if you say "lol who needs training to use windows", you obviously haven't been in an office. They literally have to make laminated cards that they stick on cubicle walls explaining step-by-step how to open a spreadsheet file in excel. Yes, how to open it. Any change no matter how minuscule makes half the old ladies in the office panic and not have any idea what to do or how anything works.

itt. people who don't understand reactos

I used an outdated version of XP for about 5 years and never had any problems.

>Physical CPUs
>2 cpus
>46.73%
>-0.14%

All those U-series "i5" and "i7" on the laptops nowadays...

>2015
c'mon user.

Here's a better one from july 2016 from the wiki

do you have two gpus or are you using the intel one?

here is another from
netmarketshare

I have a GTX 970 for GNU/Linux and I pass an r9 270 to the VM. Next time I upgrade my GPU I will try to get one that I can use free drivers with.

>he uses pleb edition
Business editions of win10 have forced updates turned off by default, pleb edition has an option to turn off forced updates. Quit talking out your asshole.

>pleb edition has an option to turn off forced updates
No they don't. Home edition can't adjust update settings at all, and Pro edition can only delay them for a short while before they're installed. Enterprise and Server editions are the only ones where you can selectively refuse updates.

Running linux is not that hard. Just get yourself an external drive and save all the stuff you don't want to lose. Then when you start installing a linux to try out keep notes on what you did along the way. That way you can have a sort of recipe book to reinstall and adjust your installs in the future. Sometimes you realize what order need to install things in a particular linux to get the performance and work flow you want. Then you just update your notes and go for it.

You can do it.

What's the worst thing that could happen if I never update windows 10?

You won't be able to buy shitty ports of xbox games from the microsoft store

>mfw I got Queers of War 4 free in a GPU bundle and I learned this the hard way from Pajeet on customer support
wtf i hate microsoft now

You can always dual boot for those two windows 10 exclusive games that will be worth playing in the next 5 years

Your computer will stop receiving security updates in 2020. Then you'll need to install Gentoo.

You needed pajeet to tell you that? A google search is probably enough to lead you to the hardware and software requirements for any game.

>home edition can't adjust update settings
WHAT'S THIS THEN CUNT?
Anyone who actually cares about refusing specific updates will pirate enterprise edition. Anyone who can't figure out how to do that probably doesn't understand the need for security updates and should be forced to update anyways. Most businesses just schedule update resarts for non working hours and forget about it, therefore updates are not the reason win10 is losing market share.

what Cred Forums desperately wants to believe: only technologies they don't like are pajeet tier

the truth: literally all of CS is pajeet tier

I got in contact with customer support because I redeemed the key and wondered why the fuck the microsoft store site didn't display that I actually had the game and they told me I needed W10 to even download it. So it wasn't really about specs, more about why the fuck did my key redeem nothing for me even though it said the redemption was completed.

Microsoft is dead set on pushing Windows 10 as a service, which means it'll act like a website or something you don't own. When they want to change it that change will get pushed out to all the installations whether the users want it or not. The only reason enterprise editions don't do that is because enterprise users would ditch Windows in a heartbeat if some automatic update took down mission-critical software and leads to downtime.

>tfw i paid full price for windows 10 pro because i was to lazy to install virtualbox instead of hyper-v
feelsgoodman.vhdx

>mfw I hoped on the Linux train since there was no way I was going to hop on the Windows 10 train
As much as I liked Windows 7, I should have done it sooner.

>run Windows through virtualization
I'm not sure that's ever going to be good enough for seamless gaming.

If you have a powerful enough computer the overhead is negligible

how 2 get that start menu

Not realizing OP's QT 3.14 reference.

You just got played son.

Had to roll out windows 10 over the summer for a company and it was the biggest headache on the planet.

kek

same, upgraded my t450s to windows 10 and it was constantly crashing after the upgrade so I ended up falling for the meme and installed gentoo

Rename your 8 shutdown to shittier hibernate. That's what you are comparing 7's shutdown to. Microsoft knows what's best for baby.

just dumped win 10 today after it forced anniver. update on N edition, breaking everything.

using a real OS is nice. might throw up a win 7 vm for office.

I would have waited for a better price but oh well, I'm set for the next 4 years when extended support ends just when Windows 10's replacement is supposed to be unveiled.

Thanks for the laugh, user.

why are people so anal about free, I really just care if it works

this can't be real

>buying windows
you're kidding, right?

The free drivers don't take a shit on your graphics stack.

>Nvidia has no clue how XRandR is supposed to work so they come up with their own inferior TwinView shit, and decide to use the refresh rate
>AMD's updates to fglrx ensured that every update was worse than the previous one in some way
>fglrx also checks the name of the running process and if it's called "wine" it'll report really low limits for things and pretend it doesn't support later versions of DX Shader Model
>Neither driver supports cool shit like DRI PRIME, because they're too busy removing the main libGL and replacing it with their own shit

Of course any of that info could be out of date. I've heard the AMDGPU setup is decent though. Not sure if they still pull the "fuck over wine" bullshit in AMDGPU PRO though.

I want to be able to trust all of the code I run on my computer. The main reason I run GNU/Linux is so that I can actually own my computer. The way I see it, if there is code that I can not examine(or share, modify, etc.), then that code does not belong to me, it belongs to the developer, and it can potentially give the developer more control over the computer I own than I do. That is why my goal is to keep all proprietary software contained in virtual machines (). Then the majority of my computing will be done with only free software running. Currently I have nonfree nvidia drivers and steam with games, along with wine and my GOG games in my main install. I want to transfer all of that into a VM once I have the hardware to do that (while having the same/better performance than I do now).

Also, more pragmatically, what this user said: My laptop is an x200 that I librebooted. It has all of the performance I need in a laptop with an SSD and 8GB of RAM. I do not have a librebooted desktop, because I need more performance there, so I make compromises.

Look up PCI passthrough. It works wonderfully, and to the user it is no different than having a second physical computer.

I have an XP install disc, and the Win 7 upgrade discs with service packs before the Win10 bullshit back during that april. The select KB updates are removed and update is turned off permanently. The only reason I haven't totally moved to the slackware gnome fork I like for nostalgic value is that I use Photoshop, 3DSmax and Maya a lot. Blender's just not the same.

I'm using a plethora of security measures like noscript, selfdestruct cookies, https everywhere, etc... and common sense like multiple passwords recorded only in a physical booklet, and I don't use social media. Its not perfect, but I want to use this as long as possible and mitigate any possible issues I'd have if it was compromised. They've made basic privacy a pain in the ass to have. Is it so wrong to object to some grimy faggot desperate to get my personal info so he can sell it to fucking advertisers?

less retarded than cars having vital parts that can be controller by remote software.

So hows that PhoenixOS and RemixOS for you all?

hi geo

I work at a city college library and all the PC's use Windows 7. In fact, there's even a PC in the back, (for digital documents and shit) still running XP.

Ive heard we "can't" use Windows 10. never heard why, but I imagine its because the city Cuny system doesnt want to deal with the unreliability and that whole "paid subscription for the ad free business version" nonsense. easier to stick to 7 since it werks, and we probably aren't going to change our cataloging software any time this upcoming decade.

this. Bill Gates, love or hate him, was truly a visionary, and he knew how to make good shit. He built Windows up from the basic thing it was, and it culminated with XP, which was all of his and his company's cumulative experience. XP also had a fresh new look, but without being intrusive. then Gates and his involvement became smaller. I think both Vista and 7 were at least started under him, which is why they are still moderately "classic" in their general layout and shit. Vista was, though, basically a beta for 7. they blew their load too early. But thanks to it, 7 came out pretty good. Not perfect, but pretty good.

I really kind of wish he would come back. Microsoft's been shit since he left.

I suppose being managed by a pajeet doesnt help.

Windows 7 and GPT filesystems don't get along

>Kekfeelsgoodbro

>Chart includes XP, 7, 8 and 10.
>No mention of Vista
Not that I ever used it, but most people know there's one inbetween XP and 7 right?

Then use MBR

If you need more than 2.whateverTB get several 2TB drives

If you need GPT use Linux

personally i've grown nostalgic for the old pre-Xp look windows had. It was simple, without having to resort to flat colors and squares. it had an element of creativeness about it. So I made up my desktop to imitate the "good ol' days".

Sometimes using MBR isn't an option.

But this remains literally the only reason to use windows 8 over 7.

All of the tech illiterate elderly in my family said they hate win 10 and wish they could go back. Not helping them though, fuck that.

Vulkan is our savior

The only thing wrong with Win 8(.1) is the dumb Start Menu stuff, 3rd party workarounds make it better than Win 7

Windows is playing the long game. They don't care what you're using now. It's 5-10 years time they care about

>Earlier this year I decided to go master race and got a (gaming) laptop
Stopped reading there

in what case would it not be an option?

Dualbooting with a GPT-only operating system

Like OS X

As you can see this is a pretty specific use case, and so using windows 8 is pretty much a last resort.

OpenGL won't disappear any time soon, mostly because it takes about 1000 lines of code to draw a triangle and by the time you actually get a game which works perfectly with validation layers enabled you're an absolute expert at anything and everything to do with concurrency and synchronisation and telling your graphics driver absolutely every fucking thing about every single fucking step in your code and when it can and can't touch any particular thing in any particular way.

But yeah, here's the lowdown.

The base version of Vulkan (all optional features disabled) is supported (assuming the drivers exist! which is overly optimistic) by all GL4.5-compatible and GLES3.1-compatible hardware.

Unlike OpenGL, you can make API calls from any thread, and unless you are using validation layers there is very little validation of what you feed into it - if you feed in invalid shit, you don't get a silent error that you have to manually check, you instead get anything ranging from what you're looking for, to a crash. The lack of validation by default, as well as a bunch of other shit (e.g. rolling your own memory handling), means you're spending very little CPU time in the driver.

Furthermore, due to the fact that you have to give the driver a metric fuckton of info in order to do anything at all, the driver has your metric fuckton of info which it can use to optimise things. Imagination mentioned that their PowerVR GPUs don't have a blend unit, they just do the blending in the shader, and with Vulkan being explicit about the kind of blending you use and whether you use blending at all (you define `VkPipelineColorBlendStateCreateInfo` in your call to `vkCreateGraphicsPipelines`), they don't have to compile your shader twice or something like that.

I don't know how it compares to DX12, because I don't give a fuck about DX12. It only exists because MS need to keep a stranglehold on the gaming market. I've heard it's similar to Vulkan.

Doesn't help when upgrades break stuff.

windows 8.1 + classicshell is literally a faster 7. literally.

>windows 10 is so shit they couldn't even give it away

most people are trying to forget it

it's like 8.0, nobody uses it over 8.1, or 98 and 98SE/ME.
nobody uses vista over 7, why would they?

98 (first edition), 8.0 and Vista were quickly replaced with a minor update that was better with no notable downsides

wow good one. did you read that from a man page?

>never left 7
ahhh.. feels good

Stick with 2012 r2. 2016 has the same level of telemetry planned as 10.

This

Windows 10 is a miserable piece of shit. Adds NOTHING over windows 7 but more spyware garbage. Unstable as fuck, ugly and resource hog steaming piece of SHIT

What are you talking about? It will have the same telemetry as 10

It's ltsb that doesn't get updates, not regular enterprise.

I never went to windows 10 to begin with.
x64 win7 master race reporting

w10 linux support is shit. Great deal of features are simply not supported, those features that you'd actually want Linux for. Major disappointment.

i don't think he would visit Cred Forums, else he would have been wiser about how to manage his computer information. although maybe for that reason now he does.

if you want 7 to BTFO 10 go and click/dl the W7 drivers on your motherboard makers support page, they track that shit to see when to drop support in future products

>windows
>performing well at any given time
Were you ever born then?

>shadows
>fat taskbar
reeeee

unpin everything from taskbar, use small icons and never combine, add quick launch, and install 7+ Taskbar Tweaker

no

There's no such thing as "the main libgl", inbred. Try getting a brain before spouting shit from your anus.

>this is what pajeet believes

like me

I still use Vista. I used 7 for a while when I got a new computer but I found it wasn't as user friendly as Vista was, so I downgraded.

I'm not trolling or baiting or memeing or anything, I genuinely think Vista is the last good Windows operating system. It's never given me any problems and I've always been able to make it do what I want it to do.

vista is basically server 2003 with a shitty UI thrown on top

server '03 is the best windows

>this is what windows 7 (vista) users/deniers believe

I needed to fresh install anyways and wanted to try 8.1 one more time.
It runs bretty good now that I finally found some modern drivers for my mobo

Windows 7 / Vista.

Vista seems so fantastic in hindsight compared to windows 8 and windows 10. No intrusive cloud etc.

Server 2003 was based on XP. You're saying that vista is XP, which is completely wrong. The driver model shifted significantly between vista and XP, and if anything vista is the client version of server 2008.

2000 was great. Easier than fighting NT when installing drivers, light, and stable.

because it's not

One of Microsofts advantages was that they realized when one of their OS just weren't gonna work out (Vista for example) and cut their losses short. Their stubbornness to not let go of 10 will be their downfall.

>falling for le 256MiB of RAM meme

>tfw my desktop only had 64MB in 1999

right, because that's seriously going to cause them to consider dropping support for 10...

Lucky... mine only had 32MB. Used up to 2004. Poor kid lifestyle.

>.gif
Kys faggot.

No way, which school? CCNY? Because it's no wonder they've been on DNSBL with XP computers still around. I spotted one functioning as a kiosk for the paid printers in the science library.

>Kys
Kill yourself and fuck off back to (You)Tube.