Do you guys think Microsoft's surface phone will be a hit?

allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/21657_What_to_expect_and_what_NOT_to.php

-Windows 10 mobile
-Aluminium unibody design
-6.5" QHD AMOLED display
-8GB RAM
-20MP high-spec camera

allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/21657_What_to_expect_and_what_NOT_to.php

Other urls found in this thread:

idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-os-market-share.jsp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It will flop because of the lack of apps to attract the regular consumer.

this, windows phones may be botnet, but they are gorgeous, powerful, affordable (for the performance - power ratio) professional and easy to use.

but theres barely any fucking apps for it, and that is what makes a smartphone smart, the capacity to use software on it, it could be the most powerful phone in the world, but it lacks the capacity to utilize that power.

I don't know why pajeetOsoft doesn't pay devs to port their shitty candy crush over to it.

They're still releasing new Windows phones?!

>-Windows 10 mobile

NO.

>6.5"
>phone

For real, people cry "muh apps!" but that's what sells phones. If people can't get their Facebook/Snapchat and other bollocks easily they won't buy.

This. A phone should be 5.7" MAX. This is fucking ridiculous.

Anyway like said since there are no apps then it's DOA.

If it's anything like Lumia it'll be OK I think. Really, my 640 is the best phone I've used and I've had an iPhone and Android. It has shit for all applications, but it's just so smooth and I like the usage of screen space.

Really, I think Blackberry should drop their Android hybrid and pick up Windows Phone OS. It definitely feels more business oriented.

What's wrong with Windows phones anyway? I'm always seeing people say they're shit without saying why.

Windows Phone includes Facebook by default (FFS) and has pretty much all of the "mainstream" services. It's really just lacking in the obscure and game departments.

It even has several GameBoy emulators now.

pretty much what and said. The app support is awful compared to iOS and Android.

Mostly the lack of apps and an overall horrible mobile OS.

Fact is microshaft entered the mobile market too late and now they're paying the price. They had no time to accrue a large amounts of apps or relevance in the smartphone market. Now they're like 0.01% marketshare and dying. It was interesting for them to go into the mobile market but they simply couldn't make a mobile OS worth a shit.

Windows phones will never succeed until microjew pays devs to port over their apps.

Some time ago a friend refused to get a windows phone because it didn't have instagram. Then again that was a long time ago, but a lot of people believe the situation is the same now so they avoid those phones.

Maybe not huge, but ESPN sent out a notice they wouldn't be updating their fantasy football app for Windows phones. Sure it isn't a huge deal, but it is that kind of thing that has people bitching.

Nothing. Its just that its another walled garden with no support or incentive to lure enough people into its eco system.

yes, it will be a tremendous hit.

pic related.

I'm not falling for the lumia/windows phone meme ever again.

I bough a 930 long ago and it was a gorgeous, well built phone but even the most basic shit (telegram/whatsapp/facebook chat/file manager) looked like a free/cuckware versions of the android ones. Even fucking onedrive worked like shit which you would expect running well considering it's a fucking microsoft service.

is this some kind of bullshit like the ''iphone problems.webm'' or is is real?

I see, thanks guys.

very real

ms surface 6.5 inch
>163 x 85 x 9mm

htc one max 5.9 inch
>164.5 x 82.5 x 10.3 mm

impressive dimensions for screen size. i have a one max with a big otterbox defender case. this surface would be perfect for me. its only missing snapchat but i think i could give it up now anyway. the lack of apps isnt a big bother for me fortunately

>Windows 7 boot manager
I like this meme

Convergence and trying to elbow into the high-end market was a big mistake for MS and they're still doubling down. I guess I could imagine them getting some traction if a black swan event happens but most likely this is the last of the Windows Phones.

Aside from the app problem, which is simply a function of adoption plus priming developers with the promise of a good market, the thought that MS could jump way late into the high end phone scene was bizzare. Smartphones at the medium to low end are a way better market to begin with. The margins are tighter but the market is massive and growing and the turn-over rate on new phone adoption slows at the top way faster than the bottom for obvious reasons.

Speaking to the MS shills here, if you want free advice to relay to the suits: Cheap phones are the only way you're going to stay in this. Make a name for yourself selling affordable phones on every carrier, pay devs to deliver on key app ports, and the rest will take care of itself. Windows PCs are already everywhere so throwing in small convience factors is going to be trivially easy in-house and having a small army of comfy features in a budget phone would be a catalyst for defection particularly from users who've been burned (literally in the case of samsung) by flagship phones not being all they were advertised to be.

If windows mobile could run android apps people would buy them.

With that being said this thread is retarded because the phone in question doesnt even exist nor has it even been announced

>Here's my best guess then for the mythical Surface 1060 (yes, I'm predicting a name too!):
>That's my best guess anyway, all of the above is eminently 'doable'.

well, i have a 640.. and guest what /g's

can win10 mobile even run anything

Just a few shit panjeet apps in the windows store. Sadly it can't even run win32 programs despite having the name "windows 10" advertised with it.

well... don't crash all the time and don't get the Ram full of shit

salty nutella hould just give up

they should unlock the bootloader to allow users to install whatever the fuck they want, while trying to profit on the hardware

The thing that bugs me is that Windows phones are almost all really nice from a hardware perspective, and using them is really enjoyable. They just has such shit software support that it totally kills the whole phone.

Although I'm thinking of getting a cheap

That actually looks pretty sexy.

>overall horrible mobile OS
Have you even used it? It's incredibly efficient at what it does.

I had a lumia 640 a while back and it was overall the worst experience of my life. Had to browser through a maze of menus just to get to the wifi settings and crashes/freezes happened often. One day the shitbird froze during the night and my alarm clock failed, which made me 2 hours later for work.

>winblows mobile
NOT EVEN ONCE

and what does it do exactly?

Poorly photoshoped.

It looks pretty sure. But what good is a pretty phone if you don't have good apps to do anything?
This is coming from someone who moved from Windows 10 mobile earlier this year.

>5.7"
kys manlet

kek

Good apps don't exist on Android or iOS. They're mostly web wrappers...and are shitty at that.

Best mobile OS tbhfam

Windows phone user for 20 months here.

No.

I don't think it will be a success but OP's pic is cute

Any tips for using a windows phone? I just went to the appstore and it was a wasteland.

write your own

It's really not that bad anymore unless you're really into snapchat or meme mobile phone games

Apps are a meme. I thought about writing my own because I know Xamarin, but I have everything I need. I have all my dating apps and some games. I don't know what you memers are installing on your phones. The only useful things I am missing are a banking app and a gmail app (not my main email) and those work in the browser anyway.

>all my dating apps

Even their email app is shit, user. Even onenote became a buggy mess in recent updates.Their music app is slow and lacks features.

Disagree there, particularly with Groove which is pretty much up to par with Spotify at this point

>HURR DURR FUCKING NORMIE!

dual front facing speakers ayyy

Is it x86?
Does it have a microsd slot?
Removable battery?
usb-c at least?
microhdmi or miniDP?

If yes it might stand a chance.

>windows

dropped striaght into the trash

>he thinks online dating makes him a normie
It actually makes you a social reject.

Never mind, just saw arm toy processor and no microsd.

Nobody will give a shit and it'll thankfully die quick.

Not true. I see lots of normies on these sites, not that they reply to my messages.

>-Windows 10
>-6.5" QHD display
>-$800 pricetag
lol

WHEN WILL MANUFACTURERS MAKE 4" PHONES AGAIN?

I don't want a goddamn tablet for my phone. 6.5" won't even fit in your fucking pocket, unless you're some sperg that wears cargo shorts everywhere.

Isn't the iPhone SE about that size?

Yes, but it's $400 and I'm not sure about making the switch to iOS.

Can it run any old windows exe? Can it run them if I wrap it in the windows store wrapper format?

kys poorfag

iOS has more non-pajeet apps

If you don't have an app you can usually get by using the mobile site. Also there are usually clones of every game if not the exact game. IE, no ESPN Fantasy Football app, just use the website. The only app I miss on Windows Phone is Snapchat, maybe some of the niche keyboards (I like message ease) on Android.

I still have my 640, and I would use it if Project FI wasn't cheaper.

Is anyone else a little puzzled that we seem to be moving away from a GUI of any relevance?

None of the icons or shapes or navigation means anything here, you have to read what it is in order to know what it is. Or just have a ton of logos memorized and organized at a glance.

I don't give a shit about"apps."
I actually use a Windows Phone; I really don't give a shit about it not having Tinder or Grindr or whatever the latest hip thing is these days.

The biggest use my phone has is email and light internet browsing, since I mainly use it for work.

It has Tinder (it's called 6tin), it had Snapchat too (the client was better than the iOS and Android versions (and worked on your desktop too)), but Snap, inc killed it because the CEO is a trust fund baby and doesn't give a fuck.

>Windows phones will never succeed until microjew pays devs to port over their apps.

that won't work, Blackberry tried that with BB10.

if microsoft wants to make windows phone great again, they need to buy Blackberry's android emulator tech or whip up their own. BB10 phones could run most android apk's without trouble.

They might get it to work once more devs start picking up UWP. Even if they get pity ports (it's trivial to port apps to Xbox and mobile), it's better than nothing. The key thing is getting devs to develop on UWP rather than Win32.

The centennial bridge was a nice touch too because you get containers for Win32 apps, and they don't leave a bunch of droppings around your filesystem when you uninstall them.

>Android emulater

nah that would tank the platform in the long one. MS was making their own at one point though

Google killed wp by not releasing any apps for it.

The only thing microsoft is release a phone that works with win32 applications before google releases andromeda and see if people use it.

>They might get it to work once more devs start picking up UWP
People keep saying that every single time.

Its not going to happen. Nobody uses UWP.

People that use windows on desktops and notebooks dont need any UWP apps because they are all shit compared to win32 apps. And nobody uses WP.

w32 is deprecated user, get over it

>Here's my best guess then for the mythical Surface 1060 (yes, I'm predicting a name too!):

Literally just one guy's fantasy based on nothing. Nice thread retard

tfw I want to sell my computer running an 8350/980ti to buy a surface pro

Where's the back or home button?

Its a concept.

Windows Mobile can have onscreen buttons for navigation. Obviously its a mockup because on the home screen, you can always see the navigation buttons at the bottom.

It's not photoshop, it's literally just an image the dumbass pulled up on the screen. That's how Smash 4 leaks spread around.

Last I saw, MS only had 0.4% of the market.

idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-os-market-share.jsp

Who is buying them?

Not really, its just not as mainstream anymore. But at least its more useful than UWP

>windows phones may be botnet

All phones are botnets.

>If windows mobile could run android apps people would buy them.

They did get an android app emulator working halfway through; but they realized that if they DID release that, then NOBODY would bother writing native apps. Everyone would just create broken Lagdroid apps that would run even worse due to emulation. Plus it would piss off the few devs who did support Windows Phone.

>WHEN WILL MANUFACTURERS MAKE 4" PHONES AGAIN?

This.
I'm still using my Lumia 800 (with WP7) because everything else is either cheap joke shit, or 5-6" monstrocities, or they are trying to make them so thin that they break like apart potato chips.

I want a sturdy 4" phone that runs a modern version of WP, and has tons of battery. I don't give a shit about apps; about the only smartphone feature I use is the browser and even that is just handy if I have to use it, rather than a necessity.

>more useful

in what sense?

>the performance - power ratio
a $100 android chinkphone can outperform a $100 windows phone any day

>6.5"
so its a niggerphone

At this point it's too late for another competitor to iOS/android to come in without major draw points.

I see no point in getting it because it does not support my weeb idol games

I sure hope so. I love my 950, i just wish it felt more expensive sometimes.

the stuff the new hp win10 phones does is really cool, how it lets you use special versions of the enterprise apps through continuum.

Seems like a good device for an android rom

>It's not photoshop
It's also not real.

WP doesn't crash like that, and even in that crash, the boot manager title is off-center.

But please, continue to lie to yourself.

Needs clover and it's set for me

T.

I'm a giant and I still don't like phones to be over 5"

Bigger than 5 is great in the hand and to the eye but in my pocket it is just a chore and phones spend more time in my pocket than anywhere else and probably do for 90% of people. 5" is the perfect middle ground for smart phones imo

MS already tried that strategy (basically Nokia's old strategy) with low-midrange Lumias, and even though the phones were vastly better than similar Android phones, they failed miserably because muh Instagram.

99% of apps are useless trash for mouthbreathing retards, the rest are already in existence.

no one that wants a windows phone needs a fucking guitar tuner on the god damned thing. they need email, messaging, easy cloud file access, that kind of thing. which it handles better than android and ios, both of which feel like toys.

Man I had a windows phone before.

>best phone aesthetics
>smooth as fuck even on mediocre as fuck hardware

Lack of apps didn't bother me because I don't care about shit like instagram

What did bother me is how locked down they were and having to use ZUNE to connect to a computer I just want shit to be plug and play.

I'd choose a windows phone over all if they fixed how locked down it is. Also if they didn't make me log into an outlook account I hate that shit.

They dropped support for Skype on older versions pretty quick too which became a problem for me

The Surface Phone (if it's even real) will be tailored towards the business world, for people who actually do work and not just Snapchat foodfucking.

It could seriously have massive potential, but your average person won't care about it because it's not designed for simple tasks.

He just opened an image.

I'd like to see a smartphone with a full operating system.

With more processing power, why not literally install windows 10 or windows 7?

Run actual software, install Java or Photoshop...

Sounds crazy, but I think that if MS did that, their phone would be a hit.

>Microsoft phone
>Microsoft
>Windows 10
Will be a shit.

Google project Astoria.
Now they are planning on porting ios apps

Why would I buy a phone that doesn't comfortably fit in my pocket

You must be a midget. It has like no bezels, it will easily fit in pockets I bet.

Those phones didn't make it to all carriers IIRC, particularly absent on Verizon which is the biggest US carrier by far. You can't release a budget phone and not have a CDMA option in the US, it's just asking to have it fail.

They also sqandered heaps of resources on 8 and convergence which could have gone to making the basic and wildly popular apps get ported in good time.

I'm not saying it's foolproof but if they want a do-over that's their only way in. High end Windows phones are never going to make it. High end users want ALL the apps and they don't want to swap from their current paradigm. It's a saturated market. The only way they could possibly break in would be with a fully x86 converged PC-Phone.

This is what the new Pixel phones should've looked like. Dat bezels...

>x86
>lack of programs
What ?

It doesn't have the majority of the apps I use for work and convenience. It doesn't even have fucking Google maps or the password manager client I use. It's shit, fuck off.

>google maps
Google doesn't even allow an official Youtube app on windows phones. What makes you think they will want Google maps on it?

>those edges

Enjoy your ripped pockets

This. I have a Lumia 950 that I got a couple weeks ago and I fucking love it. Interface is smooth and clean, and navigating through the system is fluid all throughout. I dont play games, I do web browsing and also I use my phone for calls, text, work, email, music and my banking as well. If you need your phone for anything else other than above that I listed then windows phone is not for you. I really don't get all the complaints about the "app gap". I have an iPhone for that.

>6.5" QHD AMOLED display
>6.5"

What if it had an attachable physical keyboard like the Surface Book?

with the size of that screen, it better have a trackpad too.

Just imagine.

kek

>Run actual software, install Java
Didn't Java already exist since 2000?
>or Photoshop
wew lad
Photoshop is a tool for professional photo editing and it requires a lot of computing power.

ok, kekd. but I started to imagine something like this. Instead of keyboard being the thick piece and screen slides out. Main part is screen and keyboard snaps on with magnets or something, it would end up looking like pic related?

thing is very few people care about physical keyboards anymore

>surface phone
>arm cpu
born2flop

>4.51 gigs of why

why?

Being in niche market doesn't mean that it isn't exist, you just don't have any choice.

I am a guy who has guitar tuner installed on WP (Guitar Tuna)

Anyway Google sabotages WP a lot - no hangouts, youtube, drive etc.

It's going to be aimed towards business-owners. They're trying to supplant iphones as the go to "give this phone to your employees for work shit" with Office 365 and other business integration, not regular consumers.

It's a real shame, because Winphones had the best UI out of all the smartphone OS's, they were the only people to try and go beyond the grid-of-apps-and-badges Apple started.

>apple started