Is the 2nd gen really worth the extra $50? Also general audio tech thread

Other urls found in this thread:

cdn1.rode.com/lavalier_datasheet.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

what's your favorite groovebox

TB 606
It's a box that grooves so is relevant

16bit vs 24bit. Yeah I'd reckon it is.

You'd reckon, sure, but the reality is that unless you're editing and stretching recorded samples then it doesn't really matter how many plateaus make up your soundwave

I have a headphone amp with spdif, coaxial and usb(the large square one) as input then the usual headphone jack and rca as output.

I want to connect my tablet and phone to it.

Is there any way I can do this without buying a stupidly expensive adapter?

I tried connecting a single rca cable to 3.5mm jack into the tablet, but no sound got through.

I got this terrible audio scraping at lower volumes for the tablet.

That sounds like an amp *and* a DAC, you can't just hook up audio and amp it up, you're gonna need to hook up a digital connection (USB or spdif)

Oh yeah forgot to mention that... It's late.

I seriously doubt I'll be able to get audio out from the usb on the tablet.

Lost cause I guess.

So, then I guess Im looking for a portable headphone amp with a volume knob.
Is there any particular one loved by Cred Forums or should I just find a "cheap" one?

All digital headphone amps are cheap amps.
And that's okay.

I figured out that you can connect the square usb version to an adapter, and thus be able to connect the tablet/phone to the dac.
Which led me to articles about android 5.0 being able to output audio via usb.

I'll look into this further and report back in future thread.

I was wondering

Why some Lavalier mics (such as AT 70 Pro) need a power module ? The Sennheiser ME-2 and Rode Lavalier share very similar specs, yet need no battery whatsoever

I can't seem to find if the 70 Pro has a better output gain thanks to it -quite fat- power module

Yeah an adapter should work for the tablet but make sure you're ready to output audio through a separate device on the software side, that's what'll likely be the biggest problem is actually getting your tablet to output the digital signal via USB
But if iphone7s can do it 100% of the time then you can too

I figure the power module increase gain, but that can't be very important in a lavalier mic. I'm guessing sennhieser just figured that out for themselves and decided to omit it from the design. Either that or they just put the r&d in to make it work without one...

>focusrite
>ever being worth it

maybe if all you plan on doing is using a single mic for your league of legends stream

This
For a one-stereo-input audio interface you can find a thousand decent ones for cheaper, even more if you don't need preamps
Preamps are basically the only huge cost of DACs/AudioInterfaces, and usually not needed by normie fucks

>and usually not needed
you don't know shit

Yeah go ahead and buy a Scarlett interface and use your fucking XLR gaymen headset mic or post here agin when you can't figure out how to plug your yeti in, or when you blow up your dynamic mic because you wanted the "good phantom power preamp"
Audio interfaces and good preamps are for recording, not talking

and who talked about streaming, beside yourself ? seems like you're projecting quite a bit, fagtron

Not me
I said good preamps are usually unecessary for normie fucks and add up to most of the price of a good interface, meaning that if OP is concerned about money (he is), then he should look for something other than the basic (but okay) scarlett
Like it sounds like he's looking for alesis-tier cheapo
That must be a (you) problem

At the moment octatrack + circuit is the winning set up for me.

>That must be a (you) problem
>says the one who claims he's among the 0,01% elite who need preamps for his mic

No I didn't I said its for normie fucks, who likely won't be using a condenser mic with 48 volts for quality-intensive recording like sampling and needing to render that sample extremely well
If he's using his mic for plain commentary or doesn't even have a mic at all then he shouldn't be spending dozens, hundreds, or thousands of dollars for a plain-ass DAC with a couple top-notch preamps

Because that's exactly what $1000 audio interfaces are, just regular-ass shit with amazing mic preamps

>$1000 audio interfaces
aka none ITT

rme masterrace reporting in

>I bought a Scarlett for my XLR mic for gaymen
>This makes me a normie

Normies buy headsets

Hey man, I'm gunna hijack your thread if you don't mind.

I'm looking at a BM-800 and I want to know if there's some equally cheapo USB audio interface I could buy with it. I was looking at some shit on amazon at around 20 bucks to just reduce the background fuzz that's going to be present if I just hook it straight up to my computer.

I'm only really using it to talk to people online through VOIP shit, but I figure the next best thing with no background noise would be a Blue Snowball, and that's already clocking in at like 50 smackaroos. If I go this route I get cool shit on my desk and better sound quality for less money.

Anyone have any suggestions, or know of something that would fit my use case? Hook a brotha up.

Not in this thread, but like I said preamps are what make the difference from a $40 interface to a $4000 interface

if you had a decent xlr mic, you could have got the blue icicle to convert to usb. However, since you're looking at a cheap 20 dollar xlr mic, you might as well just get a Snowball.

>DACs built into cable adapters
Apple pls

>>I bought a Scarlett for my XLR mic for gaymen
>>This makes me a normie

no it makes you a retard

Not when my mobo is 5 years old and the on-board speaker sound is garbage

The fuck are you talking about man? That's a 60 dollar component. I'm comparing a 60 dollar USB mic to a 60 dollar XLR+Audio Interface setup. Why are you telling me to buy a 60 dollar meme-dac with an even more expensive mic? Downvoted

Can anyone who isn't a fucking retard help me?

buy a fucking soundblaster card then. scarlett is literally for normies too dumb to do anything more involved than plug in a usb

I did actually, 970 after installation affected the mic sound

>buying a soundcard
>anything wrong with USB for digital data
Stop posting before you hurt someone

Fucking hell boys. OP here, was busy all day so couldn't check the thread until now. I do audio recording for music and sometimes commentary, and also spend a lot of time gaming online with a mic. I also listen to a lot of music and value audio quality, so I was going for a setup that kills all of those birds with one stone. I just figured I should get a decent audio interface with an xlr mic and some nice headphones, prolly open back. I'm still doing everything with a shitty turtle beach headset I bought back when I only had an xbox...

>spend a lot of time gaming

Bro my point was that I do both. I'm not gonna go to Cred Forums for advice on audio equipment, they're just gonna tell me to buy another headset

Any pastebins or books for stage hands? I got roped into a gig and I worked with a audio rig for the stage. Had tons of fun and want to know more.

All condenser mics need power, it's a function of how they operate.

The AT 70 pro needs power, you can either power it over phantom power or put batteries in the box. I'm not sure why they made it so you can't detach the mic from the box.

The ME-2 also needs power, don't be fooled by the 3.5mm connector, it's just a different form factor for balanced audio with power. It's typically connected to a wireless bodypack that provides a few volts.

The RODE Lavalier also needs external power of some sort. Per the spec sheet:
cdn1.rode.com/lavalier_datasheet.pdf
>Power Requirements
>Min 2 V ~Max 5 V through RODE wireless adaptors
>P48 through RODE XLR
adaptor

So their wireless adaptor can power it directly, or you can power it with phantom power using an adaptor.

Wrong quote, meant to quote

Mackie Blackbird Onyx as main interface. I like the sound of the preamps, but I had to disable kext to get it to work. My DAWs fully see it, but the included software is not supported on any modern OS

>Edirol FA 101 as trusty backup

Down the road i wanna get some RME, i'll see what my needs are by then.

RP5 G3 for mains, with 12S sub. Down the road wanna get VXT 6.

Next purchase - NS10s, got eh amp all ready for em'. P2200

The USB on this doesn't send any device descriptor or any data. It gets power though. Is it doomed?

I got it from eBay and got a full refund.

What's the model of potato in your pic there?

It's the 2i2 version 1.

I'm honestly not too sure. I've only ever done audio on a mac, but thanks to CoreAudio i never had to download drivers. Maybe there is some driver error?

Does it still pass audio without sending to your computer?

no

I have a Line6 POD Studio UX2. I really need to record some stuff.

Been meaning to buy Rocksmith 2014 just for the emulated bass, you can record what you play. I just don't know if it'll run on my laptop.

Fuckin finally. Thanks bro

I hear a bit of static when I have the headphones plugged in, manually installed drivers but not detected at all. Pretty sure the logic board got screwed

>mfw still using an maudio mbox2 with shitty half-working drivers on windows 10
suffering.

Also ProTools.

I see, thanks lad