Try to learn babbys first coding language (i.e. python)

>Try to learn babbys first coding language (i.e. python)
>Shit at remembering commands
Just fuck my shit up senpai.
How do you guys remember everything? Cheat sheet? Repetition?

Other urls found in this thread:

learnpythonthehardway.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I use my brain.

How do you remember all those English words that you know?

Just read and write a lot and memory will persist

Work with it a lot. After a time it will become natural just like speaking a language.

And compared to other languages the python syntax or standard library isnt complex anyway.

Unless you have an actual neurological problem, you will remember shit by using it. Are you just reading through a textbook and expecting to retain anything?

Repetition. What you won't remember is the names of functions in libraries you use occasionally, but not often enough to be ingrained into your mind. Then comes the hours of scrolling absentmindedly through a tiled webpage of documentation to find the specific overload of the constructor you're trying to call, taking over a minute to find the single line you needed to write your code and repeating until you fall asleep/run out of coffee.

use flashcard lmao

The only way to do it is by practicing.

If you can't think of any program to practice, look up some. Or make a program to look up practice problems for you.

I can count all those pixels

"If you dont use it you'll lose it"

This holds true with programming languages too. Try to code something every day.

Same, there's 11160 of them.

commands?

Is there something wrong with using a cheat sheet? It's not like anyone is grading you on your memorization skills. Memorizing the exact syntax required to write a try/catch block or a for loop isn't important. You need to learn the concepts and how to apply them.

I don't, I just keep a book with me.

This. It's perfectly fine to reference earlier code or stack overflow snippets while learning.

Use this, and actually do what the book tells you to, don't just copy examples.

learnpythonthehardway.org/

Repetition is useless advice.
There's hundreds of API's and libraries. You won't remember it all unless you use it everyday. Can you imagine trying to remember various API's, spread across several languages?

>You need to learn the concepts and how to apply them.
This.

programming isn't about remembering syntax

Just think of small projects you want to do, figure out how to do them and repeat, gradually getting more complex. You'll learn syntax implicitly

0) Design your project
1) Write code
2) Shit, what's the command/syntax for x?
3) Look up x, implement, goto 1

While you need to, continually reference. By repeating this loop over, and over, and over you'll learn the syntax of any given language. That said, nobody has perfect recall of all syntax they've ever studied, so you'll have to look up syntax every now and again. This is where documentation, both your own and the documentation of libraries you're using, will come in handy. The best lesson in the importance of documentation is attempting to use a poorly documented library.

>python 2

youre literally a wizard when programming.
you should always have your spell book.

sure, you might can conjure up a few spells by memory, but generally for complex spells you need the spell book.

the mark of a good wizard is the ability to easily interpret the book(s) and apply it to your spells.

This is the cringiest possible way to say it, but you're still right.

LOOK FOR THE NEXT BIG HIT FROM
THE SYNTHWAVE SENSATION
ROCKING THE NATION,
ELECTRON CLOCK WIZARD,
AVAILABLE NOW
IN THE iTUNES STORE

At first it's a lot of google and books while you write code. Eventually you'll use enough basic functions and keywords that it becomes muscle memory. Like most computer shit you just have to keep at it and deal w/ the hurdles.

>How do you guys remember everything?
You keep doing it until you dont have to remember how to do it anymore. Like anything.