/wdg/ - Web Development General

I can't find the newer OP edition.

I haven't been making threads for a while and neither has the other person.

> Discord
discord.gg/0qLTzz5potDFXfdT

>IRC Channel
#Cred Forumswdg @ irc.rizon.net
Web client: rizon.net/chat

>Learning material
codecademy.com/
bento.io/
programming-motherfucker.com/
github.com/vhf/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md
theodinproject.com/
freecodecamp.com/
codewars.com/
>Crockford on Javascript
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7664379246A246CB

>Frontend development
github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks

>Useful tools
pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/
libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - Guides for HTML, CSS, JS, Web APIs & more.
programmableweb.com/ - List of public APIs

>NEET guide to web dev employment
pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/

> How to get started
youtube.com/watch?v=pB0WvcxTbCA
Good videos on the channel too
youtube.com/channel/UCVTlvUkGslCV_h-nSAId8Sw

>cheap vps hosting in most western locations
lowendbox.com
digitalocean.com/
linode.com/
heroku.com/
leaseweb.com

Other urls found in this thread:

spacewasterband.com/
github.com/liquidnuker/pureCssRwdMenubar
hackernoon.com/how-it-feels-to-learn-javascript-in-2016-d3a717dd577f
codepen.io/user/pen/kkxqoJ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Share your projects!

>tfw first job started a few months back
>tfw perl

what a god damn nightmare. i studied nodejs, php, and rails for a year+ and now im doing legacy LAMP(erl) shit

guess ill stay here for a while to get my resume up to par. is 6 months junior dev long enough to become a mid level node dev? guess time doesnt really matter, rather skill.

hmm

Currently doing the Tribute page project for Free Code Academy. I am not very focused atm.

When that js works just as expected and ur html page fire

>hates Perl
>wants a Node job
You're some kind of masochist kid.

How hard was it for you to land that first job? I'm in college right now wondering how hard it's gonna be for me, I should spend more time trying to network

Make a linkedin page or some other professional social media page you will most likely get recruiters looking for you. If worse comes to worse go to roberthalf and see if they can place you with a company.

Ayy, another on FCC. I just got to the Random Quote Machine project, been procrastinating on it since yesterday. Still haven't built the portfolio page, I have no clue what I'd put on it, I'm still in school and am a pleb with no outside projects yet :[

The portfolio page just make it like a business card like someone told me and use the Tribute page for the first thing. I finally got over my coding anxiety to make the damn page.

spacewasterband.com/

My band's website I made.

Don't know why it loads so slow, other than the video page and the music page all the pages are under 1MB in data. I wonder if it's the fact that I'm using namecheap as a hosting service.

Do you have a portfolio?

If not, start building it right this minute. Every time you write a piece of code, think about how it could be a portfolio piece.

In this industry you will live or die by your portfolio up until you get at least several years of professional experience on your resume.

Currently working on a Spanish learning website that my older brother may help me with eventually. Its pretty basic and doesn't have a lot of features yet but I'd say it's going well so far.

fuckin easy as shit. had 1 ruby on rails site (very simple) on my portfolio and another simple nodejs project. i didnt go to college, they asked me in the interview to write a power (ie 2^4 = 16) function on a whiteboard using any language. I wrote a for loop (should have written a while loop) in javascript and boom i was hired. they asked me other questions, simple stuff really, like what i like about developing and what my goals are.

Hi guise!
just made my first github-repo (please take it easy lol)

its a pure sass-based pure-css responsive horizontal menubar with easy to understand BEM- style naming of classes.

so instead of:
menubar > ul >li >ul >li > ul >ul >li >
ul>li>ul>li>ulul>li>ul>ul>li>ul>li >

you get:
.itemb:toggle > .itemB_submenu

hope it will be useful to someone :)

forgot link:

github.com/liquidnuker/pureCssRwdMenubar

is it worth it to pay a subscription to a site to learn web dev stuff or can I get the same thing for free?

I'm pretty sure it's going to be shit either way. I certainly would not pay for it.

>roberthalf
>.NET developer
>java developer
>senior web developer
oh shit, entry-level php for 35 an hour

Thanks for the resource. Literally every recruiter under the sun has denied my placement. M-maybe this will be the one?

>Database Analyst
>$11/hour
>This position requires expert level SQL knowledge
>$11/hour
LUL

Currently doing FreeCodeCamp and I'm thinking about skipping to the back end tutorials as I have no faith in myself working in front end.
Would this hurt me in my job hunt for back end positions? Will the employers look down on me for not knowing the front end stuff? If so then I'll just power through those tutorials as well.

Thinking of getting a laptop. What's a good choice for pursuing web development?
Would I run into complications with a Chromebook?
Also I hear Mac/Linux OS works best for Ruby On Rails, what's the reason for that?

Any good resources for learning Angular 2 from scratch?

It's simpler because of the package manager from what I understand.

For a laptop just get an i5 laptop that won't crap out hosting a database and apache/ iis / nginx for testing. Not sure about chromebook though.

Hi Cred Forums
I just finished my first ever website, it's a personal one. Is namecheap any good?

This probably doesn't belong in this thread but I figure its the best place to ask.

I run a website, and I've been watching the requests come in, and one thing I've noticed is that my own requests are being mirrored (with a delay) by some bot. It's literally the same request, with all the variables. It's not a generic URL either, it's a URL with parameters for a search, so it's not a crawler. There is about an hour delay between the bot and my own requests.

The request is from some Amazon EC2. There's no javascript on my site or tracking, but it does run through Cloudflare.

Has anyone seen this before?

nigga got adware

I've created a webpage completely, but when I zoom in or zoom out everything is gone. How to make everything go to mid when zoom out? Zoom in I'll fix with media query.

i need to buy some domains. what is the best site to use for this? i have used godaddy years ago and use their domain search to find what is available, but i've seem some posts here poo-pooing them. why?

regardless, where should i buy domains?
i have a hosting package already that i got free which is unlimited and as it is just landing pages, i don't need lots of hosting. domains should have the whois secrecy too.

i use iwantmyname to support my new zealand boys

did you write that crap with tables or smth?

This is why I left web development. Attracts too many "business owners" who don't live in the real world.

Mild schadenfreude from seeing them all crash and burn lately from hiring pajeets

>have zero CS/network education
>smooth talk way into API dev job

how did this even happen /wdg/

what is going on with my life

Congratulations. Have you gone through any specific online learning course(s)?

the extent of my computing knowledge is python for babies

you can get a few of the Udacity web dev packages for free through torrenting

Do you guys use a control panel (like DirectAdmin) for you website or not?

I currently set my VPS up without one. And everything works quite well. But I'm afraid any (unforeseen) trouble shooting would be problematic.

yes, very good support when i was stuck with a ssl thing

Cant wait for webassembly to kill you all off
hackernoon.com/how-it-feels-to-learn-javascript-in-2016-d3a717dd577f

Reading this made me depressed, Javascript was my only hope at getting a job..
Should I just learn Django or Rails or even Java?

Well most browser addons are basically javascript these days. Maybe you can develop a killer app lol

Yeah. I should also say that expert level SQL here goes for between 60 and 80 an hour.

So what's everyone working on?

I'm working on a Node.js social media/blogging site. I'm not sure the direction I want to take with it yet, so I've been mixing Twitter/Facebook/Tumblr/Medium all into one.

I'm running a local LAMP stack, and I am trying to test something by running a lot of AJAX requests at the same time. But, what I noticed is, they don't all run at the same time, I only get 6 running at the same time.

Pic related. All of these ajax requests are started at the same time in a loop. slow.php just sleeps for 5 seconds and returns. And you can see that the first 6 all run at the same time, while the next 6 spend that time "connecting" (The orange bar is connection time, the blue bar is waiting for the php script to execute).

Is there a setting in apache, php, or the browser, that would limit this to 6 requests at a time? I would like to increase this limit to do more extensive testing.

Currently trying not to kill myself/punch a wall while diving into Magento 2.

Why would WebAssembly kill anyone off?

Cause a compile target of any other major programming language? Turning your browser into an any-language-goes VM will make javascript kind of moot. Not uncle shekelbags moot, pointless.

Javascript will die off the same way PHP will die off.

Probably never.

I'm starting html on codecademy :3

The only legacy javascript will leave is the node backend which dies off without any help every 6 months. Yes it will exist in browsers but nobody will care.

Meh, maybe. We'll have to wait and see.

I personally don't see Javscript/Node leaving any time soon, especially with all these companies moving over to Node and being built on it.

I've heard the same thing about PHP and how it will die off soon for years. Javascript is far too popular and depended upon to die off, even if there is a better alternative. Its just the way it is

What is the lifetime of any single node library? It's at MOST 6 months at the very farthest outside.

PHP held on for 30 years so it's no surprise people are constantly trying to unify things into it despite it being literally PHP.

The browser limits the number of simultaneous AJAX requests per domain.

Where are you getting the 6 month lifetime statistic for the libraries? Things like Express, gulp, lodash, socket.io and mongoose are all still thriving, and they are older than 6 months.

Maybe you're talking about the smaller modules that have specific use cases or someone makes a better alternative. In that case, its just the ecosystem.

Now, I do agree that there are a lot of libraries popping up and then die after a few months, but that's just because Node is still fairly new and a lot of people are hopping on the Node/JS train and making a lot of modules. Which in that case, I don't see why that would be any indication that Node is dying. I see it as the opposite.

A website for a behavioral health clinic, an app that shares pictures and another app that has p2p video streaming.

Webmin

I would say that gulp's lifespan thus far has been roughly 1 year of actual use and this year's peak is probably behind it.

I'm not saying it won't stick around for a while but the web framework world is a very fragile thing. If they can't keep up their releases to whatever new feature is maximum hype or they accidentally fragment something somewhere, they're as good as dead.

I plan on going hard w/ the ODIN project. Anyone interested in some srs study-sessions?

Strict coordination is not necessary.

Looking for people interested in establishing contact. We'd keep each other busy studying/working.
There are few things as effective as establishing commitment to and working with real people(science).
Contact me at wieland_dahl at protonmail.com

gtfo len trexler

This gives me hope. I work a wagecuck job and really want to get into webdev. I'm pretty decent with CSS but shit at pretty much everything else. The problem is it's hard to hit the books hard after dealing with customers at a register all fucking day, so I'm learning this stuff too slow for my liking.

Same. I'm in school, and working in construction. Studying at the end of the day is tough, not to mention, I'm only able to take a couple of classes per semester, so this shit is dragging on.

Ah, so likely any user of my site would be experiencing the same thing in a production an environment, correct?

Thanks, just wanted to make sure my local apache/php wasn't limiting it, causing me to not test thoroughly enough.

Yes

why are latin letters blurry when they're next to korean letters but not on their own. Happens only on this font (afaik).
codepen.io/user/pen/kkxqoJ