wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/repos.conf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

gentoo: portage
arch: aur

Do you want to be a faggot?

Install either.

Do you want to not be a faggot?

Install neither.

Open Source software should be distributed via source.

Arch unless you don't need use of your computer for the next 48+ hours.

there is nothing about aur that's good, you get the same shit from every other distro. LOL EVERY DISTRO IS BASICALLY THE SAME EXCEPT SOME DEVELOPERS CREATE BINARIES FOR X DISTRO BECAUSE SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO COMPILE AND BUILD THE SOURCE LOL

Ubuntu

Arch is less trouble.

Arch has a better looking logo.

>Gentoo
Source Distros, best distros
Extremely efficient
Learn something
Fall for a meme
Not an Archfag
Use Flags
Cow

Here's why

I have been using Ubunu for 2-3 years now. Trying something a little more intimate.

And ubuntu comes with this weird HOA that you have to keep dealing with every once in a while.

Fair enough. I used arch for a few months, but when I got my new laptop, I put Ubuntu on it and have decided that I plan to stick with it, although Solus is pretty nice. If you haven't heard of Solus I suggest you check it out.

I've been tempted to switch back to Solus on my new laptop, but then I sleep on it and decide to stay with Ubuntu. It also helps that I have everything set up the way I like it too.

i first used linux in 2013. going by Cred Forums's advice, i tried everything but ubuntu and it left a sour taste in my mouth. i tried ubuntu in early 2014, but it was still pretty buggy and only left it there for a month.

then, a few months ago i finally switched to linux full-time, and i tried fedora, ubuntu mate, debian, all in that order. after having something go wrong with each install that i did not yet know how to fix due to my lack of linux experience, i finally installed ubuntu stock 16.04 and am loving it.

there is no reason to make anything hard on yourself just to appease some faggot you'll never meet. plus, if you actually use your computer versus ricing it so you can think you're a hacker, ubuntu just works.

>I tried fedora and some debunut spins
Gentoo is a meme but the performance quality is real. You get what you pay for with time input. I'm not saying OP should install Gentoo but saying it's just a time sink for e-rep and no reward is stupid.

You can do whatever the fuck you want with Ubuntu. You think arch and gentoo are the only text based installers?

I just installed gentoo a couple minutes ago and I installed arch a month or two ago.

I actually had less problems installing Gentoo than I did with Arch. Arch was a longer install for me.

Antergos master race

neither
the future is elsewhere

if you fucked up your arch install that badly, then you learned enough to make gentoo a breeze.

Arch packages: usually latest version marked stable. Runs as expected.
Gentoo packages: you can switch between ones older than debian stable or ones that will brick your install.

If I'm going to be using an i7-6700k and running a VM with possible GPU passthrough. Should I install arch or gentoo?

I've installed arch in a VM before and it wasn't too hard just had no reason to use it. I think I could handle a gentoo desktop.

Arch doesn't go as far as Gentoo in terms of customization. If that's what you are looking for, then Gentoo all the way
Portage >>>>>>>>>> Pacman
Use flags are great
Arch does have AUR, but it's also pretty simple in Gentoo to add a new repository, it's usually like a four line config file

The Arch wiki install instructions are a joke, no beginner could ever install Arch with those instructions. Where are the 'real' instructions for installing Arch that people actually use so they can pretend they use the official install instructions afterwords?

Arch: more package availability through AUR
Gentoo: actually stable. Actually the only stable distro out there at all. If it installs, it works. USE flags and LICENSE for ultimate customization. Access to bleeding edge packages without pulling in half the entire system as a dependency, making the whole thing a minefield of bugs. X doesn't break with each update, unlike with arch.

For adding repos, it's just layman -a
For adding packages, you just source your local repo and write 4 lines of ebuild, though.

You don't even need layman
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/repos.conf

Honestly there's nothing to an arch install these days with architect available.

just because you can't !=> others can't

Was the beginner's guide really that hard for you?

>The Arch wiki install instructions are a joke, no beginner could ever install Arch with those instructions. Where are the 'real' instructions for installing Arch that people actually use so they can pretend they use the official install instructions afterwords?

b-but user, the wiki literally tells you exactly what to type. How do you mess that up?

its not even instructions, it just gives vague keywords that someone who has already learned to install Arch somewhere else would understand

Jesus christ.
The install Gentoo meme wouldn't exist if it wasn't real.

Install Gentoo

>X doesn't break with each update, unlike with arch.

Iv been using Arch for 8 years and have never seen X 'break' after updating

>its not even instructions, it just gives vague keywords that someone who has already learned to install Arch somewhere else would understand

Not the guy you're replying to, but the installation guide on the wiki gives step by step instructions. If you cant figure that out maybe you should stick with your Macintosh

>b-but user, the wiki literally tells you exactly what to type. How do you mess that up?
IT DOES NOT

these are the actual instructions copy&pasted from the Arch wiki install instructions on how to partition the disc, you can see there are absolutely no information given at all in what you should type into fdisk, you need to find all that information somewhere else

Partition the disks

Identify the devices where the new system will be installed (results ending in rom, loop or airoot may be ignored):

# fdisk -l

The following partitions (disk sections) are required for a chosen device:

One partition for the root directory /.
If UEFI is enabled, an EFI System Partition.

Swap space can be set on a separate partition or, unless formatting with Btrfs, a swap file. See also Partitioning#Partition scheme.

The used partitioning tool depends on the choice of partition table:

GPT: newer format for UEFI systems or >2 TiB disks;
MBR: legacy format for BIOS systems.

fdisk and parted support both GPT and MBR, while gdisk only supports GPT.

If wanting to create any stacked block devices for LVM, disk encryption or RAID, do it now.

>oh no, I have to put effort into figuring out how to install Arch

Arch is for people that want to seem intelligent

Gentoo is for people that are actually intelligent

It's a good distro but its not stable enough yet. Void is the better option.

>you need to find all that information somewhere else

Follow the links, user.

/thread

double dubs confirm

install funtoo

seriously

it's like gentoo but the portage tree syncs a lot faster, saving you time

also the profile system is extended so it's easier to get a system compiled with the shit you need

in addition to that, the stage3 tarballs have optimizations for specific microarchitectures, so you don't have to recompile your entire system if you want it optimized for your specific model of CPU

there are other good bonuses too, like the +binary USE flag for the kernel, which will automatically compile a generic kernel for you without having to use genkernel or just doing it manually

also it was created by the original founder of the Gentoo Linux project, DRobbins (BDFL)

Void is the best distro.
>inb4 hipster
>inb4 anti-systemd

Am I dreaming? A reasonable person on Cred Forums?/

Debian, Ubuntu and Mint are the only choices for a daily use distro.

There may be use cases where some of the obscure shit is the better choice.

Or for a tinkerbox where you want to be forced to put up with shit, but that's for hobby, not for actual use or even work.

Source-based is an unnecessary hassle to deal with. Everything else is good about Funtoo/Gentoo.

>Debian, Ubuntu and Mint are the only choices for a daily use distro.

You were almost right, but you put Debian in there where it doesn't belong.

The bait is "linux on the desktop"

Debian is NSA shit now because of systemd. It shouldn't be called a GNU/Linux distro anymore but instead a NSA/systemd/Linux distro.

This and also the mix-ins thing instead of using eselect for profiles

Neither.

>Source-based is an unnecessary hassle to deal with

It can be a bit of a hassle, but I've actually run into fewer issues with Funtoo/Gentoo than Arch.

I've never had a Gentoo update cause system breakage, while I used Arch for years and every other update would do dumb shit like migrate the init system to systemd or move half the fucking filesystem around.

Also, I've run into many instances where I will update a package on Arch and it will not work until I've updated every package on the entire system, due to incompatibility with different versions of libraries that are installed.

On Gentoo, I can choose to update just one package, and it will work fine, as it is compiling from source and linking to the versions of the libraries that I currently have installed.

There's also the whole advantage of being able to select/mask/unmask specific versions of software. For example, on Arch there was a version of Nmap released that had issues running most types of scans; it would crash when doing so. This was a known issue with the newest version of Nmap at the time, and there wasn't really a good way for me to get the old version in Arch without just tracking down old sources.

In Gentoo I can just go
"emerge =net-analyzer/nmap-7.01"
to get the specific version I want

Not to say that other distros are bad (I also use Debian, Alpine, and Arch in my homelab), or that source-based is always better, but Gentoo does have its advantages, and source-based really isn't that bad. It doesn't take that long to compile most software, and you don't have to recompile that often, unless you change use flags or there's a vulnerablility (Gentoo has glsa-check to check for vulnerable packages).

Can I stream to twitch using Gentoo?

We should start calling that "two pair" like in poker.

If I had to choose one and only one, it would be Gentoo, because stage one emerge.

But I have options, so I choose neither.

Have you tried kubuntu?

Coming from a mac, Ubuntu felt like an old version of OS X, but kubuntu felt like a nice mix between Ubuntu and Windows 7, while still having a personality of its own. The mouse cursor looks like crap though.

man fdisk
press m or whatever the help button is
its not fucking hard i figured it out with no help just using fdisk built in manpages and documentation

I've had many packages fail to install on gentoo, the one example is virtualbox, try and install it, it won't work because the ebuild is broken, the gentoo devs are lazy. Also its ridiculous how gentoo still doesn't have an installer, even tho it's a production distro. Void is 10x better than gentoo, source based is only necessary on very low end machines.

Yes, just install obs and learn how to use it.

works on my machine

noice blurry font

Weird, I was having errors with virtualbox-
modules and on the forums they said it was a
ebuild issue. When did you install virtualbox,
post the genlop. Also Source based isn't only
shit because of errors but because of compile
times and how it slows down my computer
everytime I update. It's not worth it when
source based does not give any significant
advantages.

cameron@mainpc ~ $ genlop virtualbox
* app-emulation/virtualbox

Thu Sep 29 09:35:59 2016 >>> app-emulation/virtualbox-5.1.6

>Also Source based isn't only shit because of errors but because of compile times and how it slows down my computer everytime I update.

Did you try using PORTAGE_NICENESS in your make.conf? That sets the compiling process at low priority so it doesn't slow the rest of the system down.

Agreed
Just as minimal as arch if not more so, but it seems to be lacking the issues/breakage and runit is a hell of a lot better than systemd

Which DE works best on Void?

No I haven't, but still, why should i use a source based distro when binaries are so much more convenient.

I'm using i3, never really messed with any others because I was using it on arch before I switched over

Anything should be fine though as long as it's not tied in with systemd

Any DE works great on Void, but I prefer xfce.

Name an objectively better one. Feeling edgy while using it doesn't count as an argument.

arch looks pretty comfy though i need to bring my own furniture

>slot and dependency conflict, package blocking each other, etc with each update, unlike arch.
FTFY

You can get too intimate. Just go with Debian.

Fedora Rawhide my nigga. Best systemd distro.

>tfw gentoo desktops look like utter shit

>tfw distros do not effect the appearance of WMs or DEs

RedHat shill, stop luring people into your botnet. I highly suggest you kill yourself. To make it fun, drink some drain cleaner and record it. Its easy, cheap, and fun!

Gentoo: User choice, distro complexity
Arch: No user choice, distro simplicity

Pick based on which one of these ideals you think is more appropriate.

Gentoo is all about supporting as many configurations as possible and letting the user decide what to do. You get to decide what init system to use, what kernel to use, what compile-time options to use, what features to enable/disable, what versions of software to install; you get to easily apply custom patches. You get to choose whether you want SELinux support or not, grsecurity or not, etc. You get to choose what architectures to support, whether to support debugging/profiling etc. or not, and so on

Arch is all about being simple to maintain. Most of the choices mentioned above are not possible, and the arch philosophy is that there should only ever be one version of a package - the newest. You're stuck with the maintainer decisions on issues like systemd or SELinux, and there's little way to influence how packages are built except be building your own packages from scratch (which is more time-consuming and less flexible than the portage approach)

If you feel like you want the former, even if it means more time spent configuring your system or figuring out stuff like dependency conflicts (which naturally arise if you allow complex configurations), go for Gentoo.

If you don't like the idea of having to micro-manage your OS and would prefer a simpler distro with a simpler user experience at the cost of power/flexibility, go for Arch

Gentoo. It's the second meme I fell for after the thinkpad and I regret neither.

>systemd is licensed under LGPL
>no one ever has evidence for this shit

Long time gentoo user here.
I do love the idea of gentoo, but tired of compiling every shits (I have a decent CPU)
Currently using slackware, it's very simple, shell scripts everywhere

>try gentoo
>have a 5960x
>installing all the packages from the desktop profile takes a few hours
>change some use flags
>recompile 1xx packages again
>wait x hours again

It works really well, but it's too time consuming.

>I've had many packages fail to install on gentoo, the one example is virtualbox, try and install it, it won't work because the ebuild is broken, the gentoo devs are lazy.
works4me

If it breaks for you then there must be some specific configuration you're using that causes it to break. You should file a bug if you ever want it fixed.

>The bait is "linux on the desktop"
19 year old girls get paid $14 an hour to post this shit, I know, I work in the ad industry

Architect is dead dude, arch-anywhere is the only alternative.

NixOS is excellent, void is a meme.

Do you build your gtk3 on your server, because i certainly don't want to clog my machine for hour compiling shit.

>negligent efficiency boost
>learn one distro
>installed gentoo
>gentoonian (pic related)
Fair point, flags are handy
>cow is everywhere now

i installed arch and got bored of it after 2 weeks and realized most of what i actually wanted was in aur and built from source, so I said i might as well build everything from source. gentoo and portage made that convenient.

I picked and stuck with gentoo mostly as a tool for my interests. I enjoy looking through source code to tailor it for my uses or to debug. arch was a quicker setup, but i feel comfier now in my gentoo setup.

pacman and aur are very straight forward. ebuilds, slots, and use flags are very versatile.

>timesink and timesink
Install Windows 10

>>learn one distro
Not him but I disagree. I found the skills I learned using gentoo for several years very easy to translate to any other distro. You're learning the fundamentals of a linux environment itself.

Using Gentoo definitely helped me learn my current job. It was one of the reasons I was hired, they were impressed by how much I already knew about the in-depth operational details of modern linux components, something which I undoubtedly learned due to gentoo and nothing else.

I guess I need to install gentoo,
or should I choose funtoo?
I want to go nightmare mode.

If you want to go nightmare mode, I can highly recommend the following

Install Gentoo Hardened with SELinux enabled and choose systemd over OpenRC.

True nightmare mode for you right there. Difficulty rating: dwarf fortress. Have fun!

>spending hours of your life compiling
Nah nigga that shit ain't worth it. Get Arch Anywhere installer, get your nice Arch Desktop without all the Arch installation tedium. Get the latest packages. Fuck everything else.

Too much time on your hands: Gentoo
Boring office stuff like spread sheets: Red Hat, CentOS
Gaming and noobs general: Ubuntu
Entry-level coding: Debian
Reale serious coding, top-end server stuff and hacking: Arch

>He needs to watch the compiler output
You know linux is capable of running multiple processes at the same time, right?

>Reale serious coding, top-end server stuff and hacking: Arch

>Get Arch Anywhere
No

/thread

I will commit to this crusade but I want to (cross)compile everything on a remote machine.

That's actually pretty easy if you set up distcc or icecc, unless you have ABI mismatches in which case pain and suffering

ubuntu gnome or gtfo

FUCK, I forgot to add:

Use clang as your default compiler system-wide instead of gcc.

I'd also recommend trying to see if you can use musl system-wide instead of glibc, but at that point I'm pretty sure it's not even possible to install it at all. (Doesn't systemd hard-depend on glibc? No idea)

between these two, it's obviously gentoo

if you want systemd, then go ubuntu or something

arch is just not worth it

>if you want systemd, then go ubuntu or something
Gentoo can into systemd

>This thread again.
I'd install Antergos and move on with my life

You don't fuck around with difficulty. Already intrigued by musl, guess systemd is just "too hacked" to be compliant with musl.
I go on vaccation for a week, then I will idle on #gentoo at freenode.

>You don't fuck around with difficulty.
I've done all of these things. Breaking my system is pretty much my hobby.

The difference is that I did them one at a time instead of all at once.

I guess I had many missconceptions about gentoo.
BTW
What kind of job do you do now? What was your entry position?

>What kind of job do you do now? What was your entry position?
I'm a student. I have a part-time job helping with server administration for my CS department though

gentoo has 4.8 and arch is still on 4.7.5

even Arch has a testing repo

>Buying milk at a store

No thanks, I'll build a barn, buy some cows, a tractor, and enough acreage for grazing, and I'll milk them myself.

I like how the only people who ever claim that have nothing to back it up, and half the time end up backpedaling like crazy and admit they basically never upgrade any package, and even then, in a controlled and limited manner; while people who know X breaks with each arch upgrade often have collections of videos or image proof.

>virtualbox, try and install it,
It jus werks, I just tried.
>the gentoo devs are lazy.
Package maintainers aren't really gentoo devs, but it's true that the package maintainers are lazy.
>Also its ridiculous how gentoo still doesn't have an installer,
It's disappointing, but most definitely not ridiculous.

>Also its ridiculous how gentoo still doesn't have an installer, even tho it's a production distro.
What would a gentoo installer do, apart from defeating the point of gentoo? (Which is allowing/requiring you to micro-manage every aspect)

There is no need for an installer, and I guess some users make their own anyway.
>production distro
didn't know gentoo is suitable for production. Any opinion on that?
ib4 if you are an expert even LFS is production ready

Some big companies use it in production so it's definitely suitable by that definition.

>didn't know gentoo is suitable for production. Any opinion on that?
The only reason you would ever want to use gentoo in production is because of gentoo's good support for hardening/SELinux.

Either way, I think there's a difference between being production-ready and being production-friendly. It can be perfectly production-ready, it's just that nobody wants to invest the amount of effort it takes to use it in production.

You can easily micromanage every aspect AFTER a base system is installed. Shit like locale, keymap, users and passwords, and partitioning would be no more restricted with an installer than as is.

Debian takes a million times the effort to use in production. That's 6 0's and that's terrible.

But here's the thing I wonder. What's the difference between a curses GUI asking you which locale you want to use and a guide telling you to add the locale you want to use to /etc/locale.gen?

The guide is effectively already an installer, where you are the interpreter. Rewriting it in python would be harder and less flexible for little benefit. You still have to put in the amount of thought for every step; like configuring your kernel or USE flags. An installer isn't about to do that for you, because it doesn't know your requirements or use ca se.

>this is what gentards believe

Are you a lamer? Install Arch.

Are you a hacker? Install Gentoo.

Yes, thanks for pointing out that I believe what I believe. Could you please explain to me why you think there's a distinction?

>I believe what I believe
High precision autism

No other package manager compares to portage. Simple as that.

high impact asperger's

If you have to ask whether you want Gentoo vs something else, then you probably shouldn't go with Gentoo.

why the fuck should I care about what you install? just try both and get your own shitty conclusions you wanker.

Archfag reporting in here.
If you legitimately have the time, interest, and skill to install gentoo then you should definitely do that. If, however, you aren't willing to read a LOT of documentation from the wiki and spend at least an entire day without a usable computer (assuming you install everything correctly on your first try), don't do it.

>and even then, in a controlled and limited manner

So... so you're saying that... the right way to update a bleeding edge distro if you want it to be stable is to do it in a controlled manner?

Oh, gosh, oh no.

God forbid you have to read news posts instead of just running commands without thinking.

If you want something that doesn't require management, use another distro.

>using any distro derivative

if you're not using slackware then you're probably a faggot.

>>oh no, I have to put effort into figuring out how to install Arch
>man fdisk
>press m or whatever the help button is
>its not fucking hard i figured it out with no help just using fdisk built in manpages and documentation
pretty much what I expected, the Arch wiki install instructions are just for show, to pretend you used it to learn to install Arch....look Mom at how easy these install instructions are

Source Mage

Neither. They're both shit.

Arch is what script kiddies use. INSTALL GENTOO

That would be perfect if you could slap a giant AMAZON sticker over the window in the Ubuntu picture.

And your wacky roommate Amazon.

they are both excellent

for 100% customization build lfs
for 95% customization build gentoo
for a bloat-free build install arch

I tried void out.
A lot of programs did not have a package and the paclage manager was much more annoying to use.

Does this sound like you?