/pcbg/ - PC Building General: Too Intelligent Edition

>tfw too intelligent to not use H110 MoBo + i7-6700k

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL (embed)

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA. If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price, or improve specs or build quality.

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, please politely direct them here.

OLD THREAD:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/9XX4pb
ssl-images.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html
amazon.com/Optimal-Shop-Converter-Motherboard-Connector/dp/B008IPXOWU
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NOTVFS0/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475561813&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=19Pin USB 3.0 Card PCI-e internal&dpPl=1&dpID=41pHY1g1H8L&ref=plSrch
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LXXKQFA/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1475561813&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=19Pin USB 3.0 Card PCI-e internal&dpPl=1&dpID=51Ufm64Q32L&ref=plSrch
pcpartpicker.com/list/9CqGJV
pccasegear.com/sc/CRy
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/B994pb
pcpartpicker.com/list/CKY3wV
pcpartpicker.com/list/3jWgnn
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103182
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-3610QM-vs-Intel-Core-i3-6100/2730vs3511
pcpartpicker.com/product/g63RsY/evga-power-supply-120g10650xr
pcpartpicker.com/product/V9bp99/evga-power-supply-100b10600kr
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817151093
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128863
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130918
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/2sVMCy
logicalincrements.com/
tomshardware.com/answers/id-3054804/overclock-skylake-6100.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/jxQXRG
pcpartpicker.com/list/N2GrM8
pcpartpicker.com/list/8YCGJV
pcpartpicker.com/list/fXzqHN
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-2500K-vs-Intel-Core-i3-6100/619vs3511
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UM3102206
youtube.com/watch?v=YwB1KRMpFdw
ebay.com/itm/282091198123
ebay.com/itm/IBM-LENOVO-THINK-STATION-INTEL-E31-i5-3470-3-20GHZ-1TB-8GB-RAM-REFURBISHED-/232102597537?hash=item360a6493a1:g:7ooAAOSw-itXtfAg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bullies please dont reply

what should i do replace parts or just make a new one, all i really do is fuck around in photoshop and play dark souls

>i5-2320

It's time to make a new PC user. I suggest K components. If you had bought an i5-2500k you could still be using it with nice overclocks.

For photoshop you could use a slightly beefier cpu. If you want to keep your ram, get a haswell mobo and get a haswell i5. If you don't care about your ram, dump it, get a skylake.
You could use an SSD also. 120gb is too small these days with Windows being more bloated. Gpu is probably fine for your needs.

Do you guys happen to know some sub-$20 keyboard that can survive nuclear winter?

Old Dell Quietkey, preferably the 5JW-etc serial number one (I forget exactly what it is). Been in my family at the old win 98 Dell precision for almost my entire life and it still works great. You can pick some up on ebay for around that. Spoiler: it's beige, but it's still great.

Just looked it up, RT7D5JTW is the actual serial number for the highest quality one. Those are a little more expensive, but still.

I have a local PC salvage store. They have a bin full of keyboards for $5 a pop "guaranteed to work". The Dell OEM keyboards sold on shitter office pc's are usually pretty good.

Thanks, I will be on a look out for Dell kb then.

>I have a local PC salvage store
Can you give me spare parts so I can stop using a 6 year old business laptop for games, school, 3D modeling, videos, and everything else? I can offer you hugs and compliments.

They, unfortunately for me, actually know the price of stuff. You're not likely going to beat Ebay/Craigslist pricing at a joint like that. What you do get is a convenient location, and a fair amount of customer service. Probably at least 40% of their income is removing malware and upgrading OS's for people. They have to be pretty tight with components sales.

what do you guys think?
I picked this out for my friends first gaming pc
pcpartpicker.com/list/9XX4pb

That's fair, was mostly being sarcastic anyhow. There's a PC repair store in town here that's quite literally a time capsule. Run by this old as fuck dude alone, selling games from the early 2000s for $60, had a GTX 660 or some shit for like, it's original price. Wanted to work there so bad, but he had no money to hire anyone.

Pretty good. That's gonna be damn fast.

What resolution is your friend playing at? How much of a concern is cost? Would you rather beef up the specs, or would you rather cut costs?

Oops. Meant forRegardless of resolution, you should get them faster ram for that price tier of a build. Personally I say ddr4-3000mhz is good. 2133 at 1440p or 4k kind of sucks.

Can't he just OC it himself and cut costs by buying a lower clock speed?

>pcpartpicker.com/list/9XX4pb
>babby's first gaming PC
>top of the line card
Dude's going to be forever spoiled. He'll never be able to deal with a mid-tier PC.

Also, why the fuck do people bother with an 802.11n wifi card? It's not 2011.

Just upgrade your:
>Mobo
>I7 4xxx or 6xxx
>1060 or rx 480

>1080

Why do you bother with TP Link

No idea.

Going the ethernet route after endless wifi troubles and shitty download speeds because of 2 walls and a china cabinet.

Seriously, 50ft of cable is better than this shit.

From the previous thread,
I'd rather not have to provide an additional power supply if possible, my wires are already messed up as they are.

>Draw power from the PCI slot like my GPU does
Dude, either you have a 750/RX 460 or similar kind of card or your thought process is getting a bit weird here.

Are Western Digital Reds a meme? I'm trying to decide on the drives for a NAS and I'm hoping there's a cheaper alternative to the Reds that's also meant to be run all the time.

First GPU I installed. So normally things that connect to PCI slots need a power supply, I take it?

Is the information on this available in the OP? I don't want no swathe through all that general stuff if it isn't.

Trying to take some stuff I inherited or had lying around + some new stuff to build a mini ITX rig. I'm still new to this shit and this build probably sucks ass. Here's what I have so far. What storage should I be looking for? What about RAM? A lot of the stuff I saw on PCpartpicker ran at a slightly higher voltage than the i7 requires or had large heat sinks. What about the PSU? I'm sure smaller is better here.

>Fractal Node 304
>GTX 660 (already have one)
>Asus H110I-PLUS D3/CSM Mini ITX LGA1151
>Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS (already have one)
>Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

I mean he's been playing on consoles his whole life and been playing with a shitty laptop for a few years
I think he'll be okay

Please refer to the very first line of the op.

yea i just pulled that out for my ass
I don't think wired is gonna be an option for this scenario at the moment

Then don't buy a mid-tier PC and live a life without compromises.

State the purpose you intend this PC be for. Then we can help approximate what you'll need without overkill.

Photoshop mostly. A mix of graphic design, some Zbrush (nothing crazy) and digital painting.

I'm sure the CPU is overkill.

Yeah, 750 is low power enough that you don't need to add a six pin power connector to it.

For higher end/dinosaur cards, depends on what you're going after, You'll need either a 6+2 or 6+6 pin connectors from your PSU to power them.

Or a splitter, which in my case(GTX 560 uses 12 pins to power, I only have 6) would be the cheapest option then buying a new card.

If you're gonna be doing heavy zbrush modeling it might be worth it for the threads I don't know what 'nothing cray' really means.

Literally who wrote the installgentoo wiki?

>says dont use magnetic screwdrives
Zero risk to anything but ancient floppies, and they aren't strong enough to fuck up a HDD

>says to lay your motherboard ontop of its anti static bag
The outside of the bag has static on it, lay it on the cardboard or something, what the fuck?

crazy*. Fuck.

That was the Op pic a couple threads back.

Retards. The title is a meme in itself, you think those people actually know anything?

>120GB is too small for an OS

Im running windows 8 shit on a fucking 32gb netbook, what the hell are you talking about?

CPU is overkill. You could probably even get away with an i3 dual core even.

For RAM you can go with 4GB unless you plan on undertaking large, professional painting projects. 8GB is the safe option. Make sure the type (DDR3 or DDR4) is compatible with the motherboard.

This is a bit off track, I was initially asking if a USB 3.0 19pin to PCI-E adapter needed a power supply. It's still good to know in case I feel like upgrading it in the future.

I'm still confused about whether or not a single port would need its own power supply.

for PSU ssl-images.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html , add 150W to that and you have your minimum power requirement. Buy the next PSU up in terms of watts.

Normally for products like that, you'd look at the specs and see what it would say or try to get a better picture of the product and see if there's power pin connectors on it.

amazon.com/Optimal-Shop-Converter-Motherboard-Connector/dp/B008IPXOWU

That one can take a 4pin Power connector though.

Any way to make it cheaper? I'm from Polando and I have like 3300zl I'm my budget (around 950 $ I think)

i also changed motherboard from that set to very similar one (costs 229 zl) but with ddr3 so I don't have to buy ram (I have 8 bg already)

For this amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NOTVFS0/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475561813&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=19Pin USB 3.0 Card PCI-e internal&dpPl=1&dpID=41pHY1g1H8L&ref=plSrch a 4pin molex power cord is needed, but for amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LXXKQFA/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1475561813&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=19Pin USB 3.0 Card PCI-e internal&dpPl=1&dpID=51Ufm64Q32L&ref=plSrch no power cord is needed whatsoever.

Both are two 19pin-to-pci-e adapters, both claim that the power needed is satisfactory. How is this passible? If I buy the one without a power cord needed will I get gooked if I ever need that power (if at all)? Can the one with the power cord work without a power supply plugged in?

I'm just not finding any information on this, it's a bit frustrating.

I've got a A10-5800K for free so i want make a "Arch Box".

It's a NAS/Docker Server/Kodi media center based on arch.

What do you think about this conf ?

pcpartpicker.com/list/9CqGJV

I posted here a few days ago saying motherboard and CPU are dead, so in need of an upgrade.

pccasegear.com/sc/CRy

thoughts on these. was told to stay away from AMD, don't wanna spend too much more. It will mostly be for playing CS:GO

Repost because no one wants to respond me

Should i take an Intel Core i5-3470+mobo for 120€, i currently own phenom II x6 1090t.
Im planning to buy a 480 8go soon, im tired of my phenom, that shit cant play insurgency, and i must on/off something when i want to play Vermintide or Red Orchestra 2.

I wanna nice compiter

Still using an i5-4460
cant imagine why id want to upgrade

How much do component prices suffer from the economics of Christmas?

Asking because unsure if I should assemble a new machine now or wait three months.

>Aerocool PSU
Don't.

Should i go for

3.5GHz AMD 6x Core, Nvidia GTX 960, 8Go RAM this one costs 600 euros

or

Intel Core i5 6th generation 6400 - 2.7 GHz GTX 960 8 gb ram

while this one costs 521

Which one should i take if i want lagless gayming experience?

considering the '6 core' is less real cores than the intel and massively lower ipc it's not really a competition. How the hell is the crappier AMD system 80 euros more?

Large discounts on some items during BF/CM. Decent discounts on Christmas/New Year.

No guarantee that the exact item you want will get discount, but if you are flexible with your choices, there is a very good chance of getting some items in your build discounted nicely.

I guess it looks better than the other one

Current gen i5 give better single threaded performance than AMD's 6-core stuff.

Uh, BF?
Oh, right, this American meme day. I guess it won't mean much to me, so it's time to wait for Christmas.

k, thanks senpaitachi

it looks like someone made an omlet, vomitted it out, let it sit out at room temperature for a week, then made the rancid egg vomit into another omlet.

Many more countries are taking up the Black Friday "meme", so check the news for what your country did last year.

>posting undertales

>Current gen
and the past like 6 gens
AMD is truly shit
Zen can't come fast enough.

AMD was nearly on par when we were on 1st gen i5's.

...and that was 5 generations ago. Damn!

>Zen can't come fast enough.
Amen.

Phenom II was a good product line but it was more of a core 2 quad competitor than a Nehalem rival.

>tfw no bf

This thread really is
/vgcag/ - Video Game Console Assembly General

it it's good enough for high graphical fidelity gaming it's going to be good enough to do typical consumer productivity tasks like CAD, Video Rendering, etc. You basically cover all your bases by making a 'gayming pc', although i do admit most people here won't be doing much more besides games and shitposts.

Keep phenom II 1090t or buy i5 3470 ?
Does coil whine mean my gpu is dying?

unfortunately "gaming" motherboards are usually the best whether they are used for gaming or not. Especially for mini-ITX

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/B994pb

^What I'm building for GENTOO

Is it a bad idea to buy used hardware from ebay or should I go for it?

>Keep phenom II 1090t or buy i5 3470 ?
the 3470 has significantly faster single thread and marginally better multi thread performance. Keep in mind that with Kaby Lake and Zen right around the corner second-hand cpu prices should all depreciate so if you can hold out with the 1090t until then you'd be able to get more for the money you intend to spend on the Ivy Bridge now. Still, it would be a significant upgrade if you did it.

>Does coil whine mean my gpu is dying?

No it just means you're going to be very annoyed if you don't either turn on vsync and/or turn down your settings, or wear headphones.

Problem?

Keep a Phenom. i5 3470 is not that cheap, if you want to upgrade - get a newest processor with a chipset that supports M.2 NVMe boot, DDR4, etc. If you don't need those fancy features, Phenom II X6 is good enough for its computational capabilities.

Yeah, get that shit to

what're you doing on Cred Forums, Crybleat?

>crybleat
I'm not Crybleat, user.
I can't draw, I don't jack off to shotagoat, and I'm a dadfag.

pls respond

50/50

Meaning?

The chance its good

"No, you fornicating idiot."

At least I didn't generate myself a trip code, faggot.

Kek

Tripcoder btfo

>le
It's lottery, flip a coin.

It's ok to buy, but avoid unlocked Intel CPUs because you can't tell if they have been oveclocked before.

HDDs and SSDs can be risky to buy.

Mobos are ok most of the time.

Business laptops are safe to buy but sometimes they look really fucked up on the outside (dirty, greasy, scratched etc).

Of course, if it's a great deal and you have spare money maybe you should buy it anyway even if it's risky. You never know until it arrives.

Well fuck I'm going for it. Buying used gpus on ebay I can literally get a card three times as strong as I would when buying a new one in my country.

I'm ready to roll these dice fuuuuuuuuckers

Thanks. What about ram?

I think I'm going to buy a card, motherboard and some ram if it's ok that way.

On the chance that you get shit you can just resell it to some other fucko on ebay.

If you buy an used combo, the ram will probably be fine, but if you buy it separately you can't really know.

Building budget computer for brother for Christmas.

It'll get used as a Facebook/Youtube machine and very light gaming such as COD, Minecraft and the like.

Hes only ever used to a PS4 (which he sold) so he doesnt need ultra 60fps.

at least 1TB if you're going for an HDD

I'd personally have gotten him more storage but looks fine to me

He wont get anywhere near 1TB.

He will install a couple of games and then use Netflix/Youtube for any media.

Just saving money really. Can always expand storage at a later date if he needs it

the price per gb of a 1tb drive is much more worth it. For barely any extra money he won't ever have to expand storage.

Who knows what kind of shit he will download. 250gb wasn't enough for my 12 year old brother.

Hmmm. Yeah I guess you are right. I just threw it together without thinking too much into it.

Ill swap it to a 1TB instead

Yeah I built pretty much the same system for myself a couple years back with the i3-4130. Put a 1tb HDD in it and it already needs a storage expansion. I gave it to my brother and he somehow recently also shorted the mobo during a power failure.

>have the money to buy a 6700k now
>waiting on zen/kaby instead

may as well save your neetbux til coffee lake when we get mainstream 6 cores then

I would but i do a lot of video editing work now and need an actual rendering cpu. 2500k isnt cutting it anymore.

Get it then it's not like it's going to be rendered obsolete by 3% faster keky lake and Zen 8 cores are going to be quite a bit more expensive than a 6700k with their quad cores being slower.

Get a 5820k or 6800k and you will be set assuming you know how to overclock. Its better than the 6700k for video editing.

>also shorted the mobo during a power failure.

that'll teach him for not using a surge protector for his devices.

I honestly have no idea how it happened. He just told me it stopped working after something happened with the power. I followed the official Cred Forums boot failure guide and ended up with mobo failure. Could be a CPU failure as well, rather it be that so I can upgrade it with a cheap non K i5.

pcpartpicker.com/list/CKY3wV

Build is for gaming and video editing on 1080p 60hz, soon to be 144hz. If possible, lower the price while remaining or improving quality. It should fit the black/red scheme as well. I'd be willing to spend more money for that too if needed.

Now my questions are:
Is the Cooler Master V8 GTS worth it? Heard not the best things about it but it was the only one I could find that fits the fancy black and red scheme that should have at least decent performance due to it's price. How much more would liquid cooling cost and would it perform better than that at all?

Is there a better HDD in the same price category or should I be looking for a more expensive one if I want a good quality one?

Any other recommendations?

Are ADATA SSDs any good? Just need a small 120 drive for my OS and they are only $40.
Same with the Toshiba OCZ

they're fine senpai

From other thread, hoping for a second opinion
pcpartpicker.com/list/3jWgnn
On a college budget, trying to get a cheap build that will play games at 30-60 fps for a few years in 1920x1080.
Dual booting win/arch, planning to use SSD only for those, and maybe a few other programs, for the startup time improvements, not bumping SSD any higher.
Previously had a laptop with gtx 660m and i7 3610QM / 2.3 GHz before it crapped out, any ideas on how this would compare?

>Is the Cooler Master V8 GTS worth it?

no way. get a cooler master t4 for i7. far cheaper and works incredibly well.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103182

>How much more would liquid cooling cost and would it perform better than that at all?

more marketing gimmick than practical.

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-3610QM-vs-Intel-Core-i3-6100/2730vs3511

you'll only get an 11% increase according to this site. spend the extra bucks and get an i5.

You might want to consider getting the 6GB GTX1060 as it's a far better card overall. If you want something that's the same price, get the RX470 4GB.

Any recommendations?
Looking at a local monitor for cheap, I'll swap it if I can snag it.

>Any recommendations?

i5 6600k. around +55% increase in performance over your laptop. +42% increase over that model of i3.

Anyone can recomend me good power supply with 600 w, cuz i don't really know wich makes one good or bad.

>HDDs and SSDs can be risky to buy.
Unless there's something I didn't know, I believe we can trust the sellers if they can provide ss of crystaldiskinfo. I bought a 640gb wd hdd (which has about 3000 hours power-on time) about 2 weeks ago and the drive info was pretty good, no anomalies.

Get an i5 6500, 6600k is only worth it if you're getting a Z170 motherboard as well.

If you cannot find a cheap GTX1060 6GB, go with the RX470. The GTX1060 3GB is such a shit card I wouldn't recommend it to anyone honestly.

Look for Gold+ or better certification. For example: pcpartpicker.com/product/g63RsY/evga-power-supply-120g10650xr

That's a steep price increase, is there a reason the cpu is that high of a priority? From what I understood most things are limited by GPU, and with my laptop I wasn't bottlenecking anywhere outside of games which I assumed was just due to the oldish gpu. It's not like I'm going to be running any exotic programs that need an amazing cpu.

Depends on how much you want to spend.
A good budget optionis the EVGA 600B, for more you can get the EVGA G2 or a Seasonic.

I have about 70$ on that.

If you don't plan on playing CPU heavy games like GTAV you'll be fine with an i3 6100. Even then you'll be getting 30FPS at least.

>Gold+
Fucked that up, meant to be 80+ Gold or better. Both Seasonic and EVGA have gained my trust over time when it comes to PSU's.

i have a gtx 950 should I upgrade to a GTX 1060 6gb

Freedom dollars i presume? Do you want a (semi)modular PSU or is non-modular ok?

Thinking of scavenging eBay for parts, would like to hear some horror/success stories

well yup freedom dollars, and a non modluar please.

Can I have a cheap mother board with i-5 6600k?
Why not?

Then the EVGA 600B it is.
pcpartpicker.com/product/V9bp99/evga-power-supply-100b10600kr

>can i put a V10 engine on a ford focus?
Of course you can, but do you want it?

You don't even know if it sucks
You have no personal experience telling a difference of ram speed

sorry i didn't get the reference

How much of a difference does 80+gold make over 80+bronze in terms of your electric bill every month?

Let's put it to an extreme. Do you want an i5-6600K on a 50$ Biostar mobo? It's all about how you define "cheap". There are cheap mobos like the MSI Z170-A Pro that are ok, though.

I acctualy mean the exactly this one, wtf how small the world is.

So apparently we aren't allowed to build on carpet, but can we set the tower on carpet while in use?

What if I use an antistatic mat?

Why wouldn't you? I put a truck V8 in a Miata

Depends on the games you want to play and on what resolution. The GTX1060 will deliver around 60 FPS on most recent games on 1080p.

I-Is this any good senpais? I already have 8 bg ddr3 so i have to buy ddr3 mother board, I am on a budget here.

if you plug the ATX power plug into the motherboard during building, is your motherboard then grounded to the PSU?

Very small. You're sitting there thinking about buying it, i'm sitting here telling you to buy it and meanwhile little Xing Xong in Shenzhen sits there working on your mobo.

>h110m
please dont make the mistakes I made

HE FELL FOR THE CHEAP MOTHER BOARD MEME

Yes, atx mobo connector has grounding pins.

Swap out the i5 6600k for an i5 6500. Is this the cheapest custom GTX1060 where you live? If not, you could save some more bucks by going with that. WindForce isn't that good this generation of cards anyway.

This is the cheapest one i found, the other one is 1060 but 3GB and i heard it's shit so i don't want to risk it. Also why 6600k for 6500 because motherboard?

What do you guys think? Update later, and if so what to upgrade or just buy a new one couple of years from now? My PSU is starting to get old AND it's a Corsair CX650 or something like that. Bought it about four or five-ish years ago and I know that it's overkill and perhaps a ticking time bomb at this point since I've read that this particular PSU is not very great.

Also to add I have no reason to go beyond 1080p while gaming.

Are there any components that you absolutely, positively should not buy used?
I imagine it's generally not ideal to buy used CPUs, graphics cards or mobos, but anything beyond that?

Adding to this, this is a good deal here yes?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817151093

What are some god tier mini-itx cases?

Hard drives and PSUs have a limited lifespan and thus might fail soon after you buy them. PSU is more dangerous as it might take other components with it.

So, don't buy anything used other than the case and peripherals?
Do coolers also fail quickly?

I know this mother board is probably shit but will it do ok with i5-6600k? If not i need the cheapest one to work

h110m

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

NO. D-:<

JUST GO FOR DDR4 OR DROP DOWN TO A i3-6100

Yes, unless you plan on overclocking, which your motherboard doesn't support, I'd generally recommend the i5 6500 over 6600k. Then again if you want to be future proof and plan on upgrading your motherboard in near future you might as well go with the i5 6600k. Note that the i5 6500 doesn't require an extra CPU cooler as the stock one does a pretty good job cooling it, so that will save you some money too.

Is it a bad idea to get a motherboard without PCI-E slots?

Pic related is what I'm thinking of getting. There's a cheaper version with PCI-E, but it only has 1 fan header.

I CAN'T IM ON BUDGET AND I ALREADY HAVE 8 BG OF DDR3 SO IT WILL SAVE ME SOME MONEY

just dont go with a cheap motherboard.
You are already spending this much money, at least get something decent like this
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128863

SAVE THE FUCKING MONEY, YOU WILL REGRET BUYING A CHEAP MOTHERBOARD

like then...

get an i3-6100 dudester.

The only i5 worth getting is the 6600k.

Also you get a fan.

Or just like... you know.

SAVE SOME FUCCIN MONEY BOI AND BUY PROPER COMPONENTS.

It will be worth saving in the end.

Trust me. I'm like a Doctor aha

Not him. Is this an okay h110 mobo? I'm not looking into overclocking the cpu

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130918

This generation of cards benefits less from good cooling because they're so much more efficient

CPUs are probably the best thing to buy used
Gpus too but there's a good chance some idiot fucked it up somehow

WILL THIS DO, I WILL CUT OUT SSD FOR THIS

That's my motherboard, it has 2 PCIe slots. It also has 2 PCI slots but the the GPU installed you can use one. It has 3 case fan headers

Any easy way to tell how fucked it might be?
Any way to unfuck?

I don't think you can overclock on an h110 motherboard

They seem to be very limited

If you are overclocking, it's common sense to buy a good motherboard

Ncase m1
>pic related
Dan A4-SFX
Bitfenix Prodigy
Fractal Design Define Nano S

um like yeah if you don't get the 6600k.

K components go hand in hand with Z mobo.

So you can overclock you shitttttttt gigabro

I'm telling you dudenstein, get an i3-6100 and keep the SSD.

That's like the only performance that you will notice.

Especially if you want to keep your kuso-ass meh level ddr3 ram.

No and no. I bought both used though and had no problems. FX 6300 and GTX 580

Mini ITX cases are QT :3. Add Enthoo EVOLV ITX to the list. I really want an ITX build but can't justify the price, also have a Define R5 so it's not like I really need anything else.

That was my point. I'm not overclocking, so I was wondering if the MSI Gaming would be an acceptable motherboard

roast me, "future" proof gayman pc
z170 and h170 cost the same here
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/2sVMCy

im cutting out the ssd and the monitor ( I will just get them when i will have money again) just tell me what mother board i need to work with 6600k

Sorry, I meant PCI-e x 1 slots. I get the impression that PCI-e x1 > PCI for expansion cards. I used wireless networking card on my last desktop, but I think I'll switch to ethernet this time.

I'm considering building a pc to use as a work station (will only be using word and the interwebs). How costly would this be, aproximately?

So, does anyone have any comments?

I'm trying too hard to pick parts here and I need help from professional. Here's my shopping list. Should I change anything (Mobo being the most important thing here.).

>de.pcpartpicker.com/list/2sVMCy
If they go for the same price might as well take advantage of the face that you have a Z motherboard and buy and overclockable i5 (6600k), if you decide not to get one then just remove the aftermarket CPU cooler altogether because you won't need it. Everything else looks fine, maybe add an SSD.

Depends what you have and what you need. The unit alone without peripherals and OS will be probably around 300. By the way workstation is usually referred to stations that need heavy processing power (don't ask me I didn't make up the nomenclature)

>300
freedom bucks or yuro? Doesn't seem too bad. I've got keyboard, mouse, monitor, cables and OS, so this is good news.

Both. Hardware is more expensive in the EU so even though the Euro is worth slightly more it will probably cost more Euros than USD for the same unit.

Well I decided on MSI Z170A, i hope it's enought, you know i feel defeted somehow.

logicalincrements.com/ When you know your budget, just go with this.

Thanks

Dammit man, it's in the OP AND the board sticky.

s-sorry I just saw this thread on a whim while I was on the front page of Cred Forums. Literally never been here b4

I'm running an MSI H110M ECO for my i3.

It works out pretty well, so I'm fine on that end.

Wait? There's a front page? In the reddit sense that collects the threads from all boards.

>order the most highly regarded case I can find at $250 and a $500 mobo from logical increments because "these are the two areas you don't want to skimp"
>pc ends up being $2200, more expensive than the SFF prebuilts I was looking at
>find out the case is 40 fucking pounds
>still can't lift over 20 due to back surgery last year
>shit just kinda sits outside now
>I fell for the build you own meme

I fucking hate this place.

Well this sucks

I myself can't decide between the ncase and the dan.

Like fuck!!

So sugoi!

Aight duderino.

So like check it out:

Turn on that pcpartpicker shieet for your countries prices.

Select micro-atx and z170 for the filters.

Pick the cheapest shit over 4 stars.

Check dem reviews to see if it can OC well.

Probably will chuck you the ASRock Z170M Pro4S.

Should run jussssst fine.

Oh and make sure you get a nice cooler and power supply so you can OC dat shitt and keep it nicee and cool

Damnit man, it's on the front page

>too stupid to build your own pc

Alright cool. They're both the same price right now (well, minus a dollar but whatever) and basically the same board, so I think I'll stick with the Gaming since it has more USB 3's. Thanks.

Fuck. I never even use that. I always go to boards by adding Cred Forums or Cred Forums to the URL.

>6600k
Also tought about it, but build is for my cousin she asked me to make one, she will never overclock and don´t want to, so I don´t see a reason to pay 40€ for 3-5% more fps

>cpucooler
I dislike the screamer intelcoolers

Are dust filters a meme?

>tripcode faggot is the owner of techpowerup who helped out Cred Forums many times
lellelelele so btfo
dumb frogposter back to what do you think about this build m8? I picked 480 because I tought its more futurememe proof(dx12/vulcan) than a 1060 6gb I am right on this?
This build will stay like that for years(3-4 at least).

I'm guessing since nobody wants to comment on this, it's fine

>Z170 + i3 6100
That's nearly as retarded as getting an H110 MoBo + i7-6700k. Get a B150 or H110 board for the i3.

Does anyone here have experience with the Palit Super JetStream 1070 ?? I've read that the fans on it constantly turn on/off at around 60° which is bad for the fans.

Question: Why.

You can actually manually OC the i3-6100 with a cheap MSI Z170-A Pro and Cryorig H7 combo.

Yes get the 6600k dudester.

It comes higher clocked (3.5ghz) than the 6500 (3.2Ghz) and you already have an aftermarket cooler so like its totally worth it.

Not to mention the turbo clock is a lot higher on the K. (3.9Ghz vs 3.6Ghz)

As well as the fact that overclocking is so easy these days I'm sure your cousin could do it.

If you're so set on like future proofing dat shit then why aren't you getting overclock shit. It simply lasts longer.

If you really don't want to be bothered with OC then just get a fucking i3-6100 (3.7Ghz)

Literally not worth extra 80 euro the 5-10% in performance so why are you paying for a non OC i5.

OCing an 6600k to even a measly 4.0 ghz is very, very worth it and will actually future proof your cousin.

Do that SHITT DUDEN!

DON'T GET A Z170 FOR AN i3!!!

Z170 is for unlocked K processors that you can overclock. Like the 6600k or 6700k and they are out of your budget!

Unless you are doing shit to manually OC the i3-6100 with older motherboards that allow it. It's not worth it my gigadude.

tomshardware.com/answers/id-3054804/overclock-skylake-6100.html

Read my above post aswell!

Of course you can, but it's not really worth it on a low-mid end processor. If an i3 is within your budget you should also look for a budget motherboard.

I humbly thank you.

Well i found MSI Z170-A PRO it's a little bit more expensive but it have a fine oc (at leats in revievs) i also bought 8bg of ddr 4 thanks for the help, muh niggah.

Would you use a business that has a subscription program which offers you a) custom build support b) upgrade notifications c) free cleaning whenever you come by and d) discounted prices on components?

Will i5-6600k work nicely with ddr3 ram?

Well hell yeah I would, what is the concept broski?

I guess I should go with H170 since I'm gonna be using M.2

Not meaning to nitpick but those are just "good" not the optimal choice. If you have any clue what you're doing you'll rarely go for the builds there.

That would be only one facet of the business tailored to DIY'ers.

Just curious if it sounds appealing to people who regularly do their own builds, I know we're all autistic and probably defensive but I have crafted a plan that would work with them instead of doing everything spoonfeeding style. The assumption for this consumer would be an interest in custom PCs and moderate experience with assembly, leading to me not needing to do very much convincing to get that customer to try the deals.

I, for one, would pay 9.99$/quarter for a free service I can walk into and get my computer cleaned safely.

Sure it will. It depends on the motherboard if support DDR3 not on the CPU.

MSI Z170-A Pro costs like 95 bucks, H110 mobos are trash and B150/H170 won't save you that much, maybe 20-30 bucks.
Say you wan't raw power you couldn't otherwise afford, i think it's ok to go for an i3/Z170 OC combo.

You can safely use asus z170 mobos along with a 6100 with custom bios to get very respectable power and a

I heard that skylake don't like ddr3 and it's main purpose is working with ddr4, heard anything about that?

Using a z170 with DDR3 ram is like putting spare wheels on a corvette.

DD42600 or bust, it's too cheap to have an excuse nowadays.

How's this?

First timer...

>pcpartpicker.com/list/jxQXRG
>skips on literally all parts
>gets a 180$ case
Nigger please..

>1300$
>for a piece of shit that can barely get 1080p games running without bottlenecking the CPU

pcpartpicker.com/list/N2GrM8

Semi-related question.

I want an external HDD for my home network, I'm aiming in 2TB range. I assume that my best bet is WD but now the thing is - they have several separate lines like my passport, desktop etc. Are there any differences between those or I should just buy the cheapest with USB 3.0 if I don't care much about form factor?

Got an email from EVGA, GTX 960 for 99.

Good deal or go for something better?

>960

For what purpose?

Check out Lacie's Porsche Design HDDs, they're pretty sick.

Well they cost like 30% more than WD here, so what's so sick about them?

I wouldn't let WD design my toilet

Got a 1TB my passport ultra or what it's called. Case is plastic only, but doesn't feel like it's going to fall apart. It's very silent, temps are ok, price is acceptable.
Just make sure to wipe the disk after buying it, comes with a TON of WD bloatware.

no problem my duderinos

You will find OC is very worth it.

Just ask any i5-2500k owners.

I guess so. M.2 isn't a bad meme.

I'm guessing $1300 is your budget. Spending $180 USD on a case isn't worth it when you can get an 6600k instead.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/8YCGJV
>100$ 250gb seagate SSD

Stop giving people advice.

ummmm.....

Like where are you reading this from?

There's a barracuda in there and an 850 evo.

All shit he picked. I just changed CPU, mobo and Case!

I think you should be aiming your post at this dudester Like chillax with the hostilities my man.

Wew.

FUCK. Researched more into this with a couple of friends and I have 2500K. Only reason why I have to get rid of it is that the ethernet port is borked.

I'll just fuck it and go with a 6600K and the Z170. My wallet doesn't even fucking care at this point.

>pedo
>overspends on products
>makes excuses

Stop giving people advice you worthless faggot.

You can save 40$ off the top of your junk build by picking a different SSD which is 40$ less by a better manufacturer.

You don't know what you're talking about.

>buy a 2500k it outperforms a 6100 for gaming!!
>pcpartpicker.com/list/8YCGJV
>when reddit thinks it's giving people good advice

People like you are worse than newfags, because you pretend to know what you're talking about while advocating people waste their money on already obsolete and inefficient builds.

Here's a build you wish you couldn't come up with without 10 hours of google.

Stop giving people advice.

Do not listen to the animepedo.

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-2500K-vs-Intel-Core-i3-6100/619vs3511
*Cough*
I'm the one he recommended it to, and he's right.

Your i5 is getting a little long in the tooth. Probably want to deal with it until Zen and Kaby Lake drop, then replace with one of those.

Until then just grab a 470/480/1060 for 1080p 60Hz.

But if your performance is still fine (for DS + PS) no reason to upgrade

GTX 1080 is a waste. Either wait for the 1080Ti (January) or get a 1070.

Don't bother with an unlocked CPU unless he/you is actually going to overclock. If you stick with the Z170 get 3000MHz RAM.

Bad, you have an unlocked CPU with a motherboard (H110) that can't overclock a CPU. Either get the i5 6500 or get a Z170 motherboard. If you don't get the Z170 get a B150 mobo for better RAM slots.

I like it but change all the HDDs to HGST
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UM3102206

>Should i take an Intel Core i5-3470+mobo for 120€
What's the price of a B150 mobo plus an i3 in your country? Also nothing wrong with the Phenom II X6.

IMO the i5 6400 is a waste because of the low base and boost clockspeeds. (Single core performance is too low.) You definitely want either an i3 6100 or the i5 6500 + B150 mobo.

Do not get the 960. It's absolutely crap at this point. In two weeks the 1050Ti will be out for $150 with significantly better performance.

Now tell me how that 2500k runs witcher 3 at 1080p.

Actually, go ahead, buy it, enjoy your bottleneck you stupid cunt.

Ahaha about time someone got mad.

LOL.

Like.

Whoa, dude...

Like, whoa...

I think you, like, need to chillax or something, man..

Like, seriously....

That type of attitude is not healthy, dude...

Not healthy, man...

Just, like, sayin'....

Again maybe you should reread my post.

Never even suggested that SSD!

Though like buying shitty SSDs that drop in write speed really quickly is not suggested.

Just ask how many happy customers there are after buying some kuso shit ass SSD compared to higher quality.

Um more like I was alluding to the fact that OCed 2500k owners are still using them to this day and they are running great.

Now if you could use your brains you fucking mongs you would realize I was never recommending a 2500k but a 6600k that would last a similar amount of time provide you could overclock it with a quality cooler.

Don't fall for the i3 meme. It lasts a year and half before you start wishing you had an actual CPU.

I'm probably younger than most in this thread kek!!!

Keep calling me a pedo though.

Just confirms how fucking easy it is to piss off shitstains in this thread.

Atleast you admit you're a retard for telling people the 2500k is a viable choice in 2016.

youtube.com/watch?v=YwB1KRMpFdw
Uh.... They're pretty much equal. Why do you insist on shitposting instead of getting sources to back yourself up?

>case and mobo
>literally places you want to skimp as hard as possible

>Never even suggested that SSD!
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
$99.99 FREE $99.99 Dell Small Business

Epic.

Try to read the words you type as carefully as you monitor your pedophile threads, lad.

>the one that costs 100$ more is the same speed!!!!

Lmao. Yep. I could care less how you waste your money lad. Go for it.

>implying corvettes aren't garbage and don't deserve the lowest class steelies

Also, the PSU was Corsair CX600, not 650

The thing is that I ALREADY OWN THE 2500K!

Then you're even more sad.

>HIS LIST
>MY LIST: CHANGE IN CPU, MOBO AND CASE

LIKE HAHAHAHAHA

You're actually some type of shit eating mongoloid

>All shit he picked. I just changed CPU, mobo and Case!

HOLY HELL MY SIDES

When did I ever recommend the 2500k?

Like holy shit!!!!!

My sides are fucking GONE.

LOL

You pair truly are a retarded couple. Try /into/ understanding context and reading.

Would help if you went back to School.

If I were to get a server off of ebay (ebay.com/itm/282091198123 for example) and stick like a 270x in the pci-e x8 slot, would I have an alright machine for like $300? I don't care at all how it looks, it could be mounted to a piece of plywood for all I care.

try learning english redditor.

Not him, but stop posting like that you fucking waste of space.

Not bad, get the 4GB if possible.

Decent, I'd get 2133MHz RAM for easy compatibility, a cheaper similar capacity SSD, and an HGST HDD. Also any old used 1080p monitor will do.

You can reuse your old DDR3 if your mobo supports it, but you should be looking to upgrade when you can. DDR4 will be around for a while.

Kill yourself

>30% more.
Ouch, nevermind then.

Aesthetics wise they're pretty nice, and I never hear the disk spinning inside.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/fXzqHN
>pcpartpicker.com/list/N2GrM8

Thanks for the input. Maybe a less shit case? i r-really like the 780t

No, doubt you can add the dedicated graphics card. Case isn't made for it, PSU likely doesn't have a free 8pin connector.

You need to wait (OCT 18 is the rumor) to see what the specs for the GTX 1050 and 1050Ti are. One or both of them won't require any power connectors (the 1050 at least will draw all its power from the PCIe slot). Then you can get any old prebuilt with a decent i5 and add the card.

ebay.com/itm/IBM-LENOVO-THINK-STATION-INTEL-E31-i5-3470-3-20GHZ-1TB-8GB-RAM-REFURBISHED-/232102597537?hash=item360a6493a1:g:7ooAAOSw-itXtfAg

Check that the PSU is good enough to supply at least 300W

2.4GHz Sandy Bridge quadcore isn't going to do too well in a lot of games. And you'll have to make sure the PSU can handle whatever GPU you stick in it - 270x has TDP of 180W, so that's at least potentially an issue. Fairly sure it'll perform better than a comparably priced machine you'd get if you bought new parts(well, assuming the games you'll play won't totally bottleneck on single-threaded performance), but since you're willing to buy used parts, you can probably do better.

What's your budget? Those builds are just pick cheapest thing on pc part picker. Who knows what the prices will be when you actually decide to buy.

You might be retarded if you think the price of any of those parts will be higher anytime soon.

The only components which are going up in prices lately are Silver and below PSUs. Don't ask me why.

Are these spam posts? or is 5chins actually dying?

Case is up to you typically, sometimes cheaper is generally worse all around, but some brands and manufacturers make quality products for rather cheap. I love the Apevia myself, which is basically a budget 780t.

>tfw backlit blue CM keyboard is causing power overdraw

is there any way I can fix this or is this my punishment for saving money on the mobo?

Probably a short somewhere in the keyboard

>tfw spend $800 on a new computer to play new video games
>tfw now need to spend even more money on new video games to play
fug

>not just pirating everything

The only guaranteed expenses in life are taxes, food, women (slightly optional), and hardware

Nothing else.

This does mean you can have a computer in a box somewhere with a power hookup and able to catch wifi signals, not that it'd be the most comfy experience, but you could do it

I'm about ready to purchase my new build. I am planning to have multiple GPUs for the first time, however, due to the high cost I cannot purchase them both at the same time. My question is, is this a poor decision to make? I have heard about someone who tried to buy multiple GPUs at separate times and they ended not being compatible because the boards were different. Should I be fine just as long as I'm 100% sure I'm buying the exact same product number?