What OS is best for a web server?
Debian? Centos? Fedora? Arch?

Other urls found in this thread:

security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/status/release/stable
wiki.debian.org/AntiHarassment
access.redhat.com/security/security-updates/#/cve,
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Debian. Stable is best.

I'm using debian atm but a lot of packages are being held back and I cannot be assed to go through this again.

I use FreeBSD on my server and it's pretty comfy. I've always wanted to try Gentoo hardened though

It's not "outdated".
It's "vulnerable to multiple security bugs that have already been fixed in newer versions of the software, but we are autistic and have a fetish for outdated stuff so you'll have to wait for the """security""" team to backport all the fixes and your server will be vulnerable in the meantime"

Windows 10

You know that newer version of software might introduce new security bugs, right?

99% arch linux user.

Are there any good merchandise stores like unixstickers? RedBubble is absolutely shit quality.

no it can't
install a real OS, like gentoo

Gentoo Hardened if you have the expertise to maintain it.
>inb4 nobody uses that
Google has mission critical servers running on custom hardened Gentoo.

This.

i thought bleeding edge was a meme but i've been on debian stable the last 4 months and holy shit, these packages are awful

OpenBSD

>expertise
Try patience.

Debian 7 or Debian 8 without systemd.

A lot of these bugs never reach Debian because of this. Also, critical bugs are fixed right away. No extra delay at all.

So Devuan?

security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/status/release/stable

Shouldn't have to wait like a fucking year just to install Emacs 25.1 from an official repo, so I don't use Debian anymore. Arch and Gentoo are much nicer for newer software.

>ITT
NEET debibabbies pretending to be sysadmins.

If you are not running RHEL/CentOS you probably are unemployed

>2016
>not creating your own packages of updated software to slip into your stable Linux distro

Run a centOS pbx server at work, stable as fuk, would post uptime if I were at work, its probably going on 7months now since a power outage.

>2016
>making shit excuses for Debian because your social justice movement distro is under fire

CentOS. It's goal is that it can be used in an enterprise setting.

>What OS is best for a web server?
I use Ubuntu on my server

Why? Ease of maintenance, wide availability of packages, reasonably fast security updates, high stability and mostly automated (I have unattended-upgrades turned on)

>social justice movement distro
Nice meme there, buddy.

The only correct answer. I work at a large host and this is 99.9% of what's in use

wiki.debian.org/AntiHarassment

^ This

TempleOS.
It runs on divine intellect.

OS X
It just works

>Geekfeminism policy
>On privilege and what we can do about it
>Mansplaining
>The Male Programmer Privilege Checklist

>What OS is best for a web server?

I run Alpine Linux. Minimal and grsecurity patched by default. Other than that I'd rather look at giving up on Linux and go for FreeBSD or OpenBSD.

TOS has no networking, as god intended. When I read your post I understand why.

>glibc
>secure

Windows server.

Ubuntu with LXC containers. I like Ubuntu on the containers as well because of updated libraries. I run a reverse proxy in a container with latest OpenSSL and Nginx for SSL.

Best answer itt.

While I love fedora, having used it as my daily driver for at couple of years, I wouldn't recommend running a webserver on it.

Interesting, I wanted to compare it to access.redhat.com/security/security-updates/#/cve, but redhat's site hangs forever.

k, then you also want me to compile packages on a server dedicated to provide real tasks?

Alpine Linux

Of those mentioned only Debian and CentOS should be used for servers. I use Debian but have used CentOS in the past and never had problems with either.

CentOS, Alpine, *BSD.

Fuck the rest.

Debian flavoured Proxmox and then LXC running ubuntu LTS per site/few sites. so you can lock them down/adjust them whilst leaving the base system alone/with little modification after it's initially set up.

Web hosting tech here.

Debian for general purpose.

CentOS if I need to host multiple small/medium projects and need an easy to use control panel (CentOS WebPanel or cPanel).

debian you cuck

LQ bait m8 0/8 come again