/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/5cGhy

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos
>>

Other urls found in this thread:

minifree.org/
zammit.org/libreboot-screwup.html
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio/Troubleshooting
psychology-tools.com/autism-spectrum-quotient/
youtube.com/watch?v=GaCbl2Lh0ng
youtube.com/watch?v=bq9W2CEGxGU
lmgtfy.com/?q=odt to pdf
letmebingthatforyou.com/?q=Nice Meme
man.openbsd.org/doas.1
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Intel-Core-i7-6700K/Rating/3502
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/B994pb
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LnGpTrXalwGVNy0PWJDURhyxa3sgqkGXmvNCIvIMenk/edit#gid=0
youtube.com/watch?v=LgH1Clgr-uE
vfio.blogspot.ca
redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/vfio-users
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for fuck >friendly fags

There is no need to be upset, friend :^)

>Linux

That's GNU/Linux to you

>Wincucks

how can I change the color of i3blocks text? it doesn't match the text color of other parts of my bar

What is Cred Forums's opinion on solus?

Never tried it, but why budgie over cinnamon?

hey Cred Forums, what's the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use?

oh look it's retarded Buzzword time again

The one I'm using.

>installed Antergos
>want to reinstall Ubuntu
>Ubuntu's installer stops after checking the options concerning extra downloads (updates) and third-party softwares
>no notifications - it just stops
>tried with two 14.04 discs, so it's not the dvd's fault

What now?
I wanted to give Arch a chance, but I'm a noob and now I have no idea that this is an Arch-related problem or it's the hardware.

Any ideas?

>ubuntu installer stops
>is this an arch related problem?

no

Also: I've installed Ubuntu (14.04 - with the same discs - and 16.04, on the same pc) many times and this has NEVER happened.

Only after this Antergos install.
That's why I asked if there is a connection.

How do you manage multiple encrypted hard drives?

My current setup is a custom initrd that asks for 1 passphrase and unlocks all drives automatically. It's cumbersome to add new drives. I have to edit the initrd every time.

An alternative is to use the distro's default disk encryption for the main drive and store the passphrases for all other drives in /etc/crypttab.
I don't like that very much either.

How do you do it?

your harddrive is not even mounted when you run the installer, so how your problem be related to whats on your harddrive?

anyway did you try installing from a usb mass storage device?

>I wanted to give Arch a chance,
Don't fall for it. It's a bloated and broken piece of crap.

just like ubuntu

>your harddrive is not even mounted when you run the installer, so how your problem be related to whats on your harddrive?

I see.
Maybe I'll try with the 16.04 disc later.
I hope it's not a hardware-related problem...

>Don't fall for it. It's a bloated and broken piece of crap.

It's not bad ( I think), but a beginner like me can't really handle it.
I think I'll stick with Ubuntu, for now.

>just like ubuntu

You are not wrong.
But it's more beginner friendly, and many people (just like me) need that.

The setup you have is probably the best option you have. Honestly adding one line to your initrd config and rebuilding is less work than any other solution I can think of.

I run a VPS host server with 8 disks encrypted with exactly that same setup and ZFS layered on top, it works wonderfully. What exactly is wrong with your setup? I'm assuming you're only talking about fixed drives, not like removable USB disks, right?

What laptop brand would be fglt approved?
I decided to move away from windows because privacy isssues, but how do I know that there's no hardware backdoor for someone?

libreboot

>but how do I know that there's no hardware backdoor for someone

minifree.org/

What about microcode for things like cpu?

You start reading and suddenly this shit comes up "Libreboot quit the GNU project on 15 September 2016, in protest of discrimination against a transgender person at the Free Software Foundation."

For fuck sake, these people are everywhere...

Well thanks anyway, I'll do some research.

How can I get the sound working with arch linux ? I have a laptop with Intel hda.
Alsa is making me crazy!

It's actually just one person who is "in protest". Some people even left libreboot because they didn't agree. zammit.org/libreboot-screwup.html

you cannot get the botnet out of your cpu
is alsa unmuted? also install pulse alsa is a pita to use

Saint IGNUcius already cleared the things right up.

Yes, it is unmuted. I suspect that alsa tries to output sounds from the HDMI port.
I was afraid of alsa and pulseaudio interfering together. I'm gonna install pulseaudio anyway.

pulse+pavucontrol is the easiest sound setup

>What exactly is wrong with your setup? I'm assuming you're only talking about fixed drives, not like removable USB disks, right?
It works but I'd rather have it fully automatic.

I could extend the initrd to simply try the entered passphrase with all LUKS partitions.

Then I can add/remove (internal) hard drives arbitrarily.

Stallman saves the day again

You would still need to specify a map name as well as a mount point for all of these disks, which you would either have to do manually or write a script to generate a mountpoint.

If you really want to do this, you could probably accomplish it with a basic bash script run on boot. You can find all LUKS partitions in a parse-able format with "lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE -l"

The mount point is specified in /etc/fstab. I can tolerate editing that manually.
You're right about the map name though.
I could derive it from the ATA ID as in /dev/disk/by-id/...

Installed both.
I ran pavucontrol from a terminal. A GUI windows appears and says "establishing connection to PulseAudio. Please wait..." But nothing happens. Is it normal?

Should've just use Windows.

P.S. Thanks for the inspiration. I have a few new ideas now.

did you start pulse?

also read the wiki
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio/Troubleshooting

Based rms
Select your intel hda in alsamixer and unmute.

Ah, didn't started pulse.

By the way, I installed GNOME and wtf the sound works... Even when I get back to openbox (with the exception of the built in keyboard keys for volume up / down /mute, but I guess that's a key mapping problem, not a sound issue).

I have no idea why it works... I wish to investigate what made change for pedagogical purpose but I don't know where to look at.

>wtf the sound works
You must be using pulse audio

Holy shit I'm not usually into the whole being overly cynical thing, but this installation image is the worst thing I've ever seen in my life.

* 3x too big in dimension
* mentions tethering your fucking phone via USB instead of mentioning wifi-menu
* >parted
* create all filesystems twice because why not it's 8000 pixels in height may as well use it
* manually editing mirrorlist instead of using fastestmirrors like a normal person
* >cntrl
* pacstrap base-devel by default because everyone totally needs that shit
* >you can use -L if you know what you are doing
* I hope no one that knows what they're doing is using this image
* >YOUR_HOSTNAME_INCLUDE THE_QUOTATION_ALL_LOWER_CASE
* YOUR_NAME_ALL_LOWER_CASE and YOUR_NAME instead of just USERNAME
* you think maybe installing xorg is related to installing a display manager instead of fucking alsa?

This image is like the troll science of linux infographics. I hope it was made ironically.

>He actually wrote all this
I think you should call a doctor, you really need help
psychology-tools.com/autism-spectrum-quotient/

can i use runit with openrc to replace sysvinit

do i have to replace sysvinit and openrc for runit

what's wrong with parted?
base-devel is expected for using AUR packages, chances are you're going to use it

>Too 1337 for base-devel
>Too 1337 for parted
>Too 1337 for cntrl (call it meta key, fukin n00b XDD)
Spotted the edgy 13 y/o fuckwit.

Fuck off

Thoughts on msGNU?
youtube.com/watch?v=GaCbl2Lh0ng
youtube.com/watch?v=bq9W2CEGxGU

Oh the butthurt lmfao

100 bucks say is a NEET basement dweller

* what is greentext

If I use date %+m in bash will I run into problems in august and september (08 and 09) because those two are interpreted as octal numbers? Can I get rid of that padding zero to avoid problems or just force the output to be in decimal?

Parted is fine, but creating all filesystems twice isn't. Either use f/gdisk and mkfs or just stick to parted.

base-devel should be installed if you're actually going to use it or if you're going to use the AUR, but it absolutely doesn't need to be installed otherwise. It should be an optional step, like packer.

Keep shitposting instead of responding to the substance, you know that image should be about 1/4-1/3 of that size and is only going to confuse people that try to follow it.

Whoa, dude...

Like, whoa...

I think you, like, need to chillax or something, man..

Like, seriously....

That type of attitude is not healthy, dude...

Not healthy, man...

Just, like, sayin'....

>the substance
adds up to 0 (ZERO) content and full of autistic rambling. Kill yourself neckbeard manchild

>there is no content because I say there's no content

>you know that image should be about 1/4-1/3 of that size
Make one

Yeah,
>3x too big in dimension
Dropped harder than your mom dropped you as a child, autist

>creating all filesystems twice
I don't see mkfs being used twice

is there a program to convert odt/doc files to pdf?

>sudo is not necessary
SOO 1337

LibreOffice

libreoffice --headless --convert-to pdf *.odt

My bad, I was wrong there. It should have used "mkpartfs" instead of "mkpart" and then mkfs, it still would have saved that entire section.

su works just fine, you pleb frgt.

>creating all filesystems twice isn't
?

Speaking of sudo when will doas be ported to Linux? Does anybody know?

yeah but I don't want to install libreoffice just to convert files

lmgtfy.com/?q=odt to pdf

>Doesn't use sudo
You are the biggest pleb in history.

>Users don't have to remember an extra password for occasional use (i.e. the root password). If they did, they'd be likely to forget it (or record it unsafely, allowing anyone to easily crack into their system).

>It avoids the "I can do anything" interactive login by default. You will be prompted for a password before major changes can happen, which should make you think about the consequences of what you are doing.

>sudo adds a log entry of the command(s) run (in /var/log/auth.log). If you mess up, you can go back and see what commands were run.

>On a server, every cracker trying to brute-force their way in will know it has an account named root and will try that first. What they don't know is what the usernames of your other users are. Since the root account password is locked, this attack becomes essentially meaningless, since there is no password to crack or guess in the first place.

>Allows easy transfer for admin rights by adding and removing users from groups. When you use a single root password, the only way to de-authorize users is to change the root password.

>sudo can be setup with a much more fine-grained security policy.
The root account password does not need to be shared with everybody who needs to perform some type of administrative task(s) on the system (see the previous bullet).

>The authentication automatically expires after a short time (which can be set to as little as desired or 0); so if you walk away from the terminal after running commands as root using sudo, you will not be leaving a root terminal open indefinitely.

0/10

letmebingthatforyou.com/?q=Nice Meme

You don't have to install anything, use web converters

doas as in "do as" another user? su -c 'echo dicks' user

>just send your personal documents to some random website
sounds legit

man.openbsd.org/doas.1

>He doesn't encrypt his odf files

functionally equivalent to "sudo"

enjoy your botnet

Except with sane configuration. Check doas.conf it's fucking amazing.

how are they supposed to convert your encrypted documents without the passphrase?

Found this rms feet closeup.
Enjoy buddies.

fyi I'm the one that wrote the original reply to the OP and this post isn't me:

I have sudo (and all of base-devel) installed, it just certainly isn't necessary for every user, and jesus if you want to install sudo without installing fucking gcc then there's a command for that

uh, meant to quote this:

that isn't me

>Having to change into root every time privilege is needed.
I bet you are one of those NEET WM users as well

So, I want to finally make the switch completely from Windows to GNU/Linux and use it on both my notebook (which already has Gentoo installed) and on my desktop (gonna do LFS).
The only thing that I am missing on software is a replacement of Nagra's Manga Organizer.
I'm fine with any piece of software as long as it can scan a specified directory and has a search function plus tagging for easier searching.
Does anyone know of such a software?

It will propably run in wine, or use ahoviewer

so you're telling me in this day and age nobody made a cli program to convert doc files?

they all depend on libreoffice

That's what you get with proprietary software.
All you can do is reverse engineering, since the format is not documented. So even when converting using the current programs you may loose data since these hacks basically fool doc to be "printed" as pdf.

yea, see the --headless option?

how do I fix this? I'm inexperienced, so I don't know what command to run. I've tried letting the update run itself, and it didn't stop. I've also tried sudo apt-get update and nothing seemed to happen.

open office, libre office, both have cli converters

but srsly, who the hell is using .doc format in this day and age?

Open a terminal and run:
sudo apt-get install -f
and then
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

How did you install wine?

sudo apt-get install -f
sudo apt-get update

Look it up in a search engine next time.

>Look it up in a search engine next time.
fuck off, read the thread title

thanks guys, that was it

I don't want to install WINE.
But ahoviewer (at least from what I can tell) is more or less what I wanted.
Thanks!

What's the best distro for VMs?

Is there a way to try out Gentoo without the whole install process?

whatever floats your boat faggot

spastic

SHIEETTT

I guess Gentoo then my GIGANEET pal

most linux versions I've used over several years worked fine in a VM.. minus 3d graphics capabilities.

I want to learn Latex for simple college/work essays but everytime I try I end up installing a bunch of crap that I'm not going to use.
Is there a "minimal installation" of it?

I mean I want to use GNU/Linux as my base and run multiple VMs inside it. At least 1 windows VM. I'm tired of dual booting. What has best support for hardware passthrough? I'm guessing Gentoo because its light as fuck and can potentially run on two threads while I can dedicate real cores and threads to VMs. Getting an 6700k.

>I mean I want to use GNU/Linux as my base and run multiple VMs inside it. At least 1 windows VM. I'm tired of dual booting. What has best support for hardware passthrough?

not sure. the cpu you are getting (same as what i have) is incredibly awesome and more than capable of running VMs in a linux setup. I don't have any special hardware at all. intel gpu that came with the CPU, 16gb ddr4 RAM. no dramas running a VM of any kind from what I've experienced. I think you'll love that CPU. I know I do. :)

Thanks dudester. The other thing I was debating is falling for the 32gb meme but I don't think its worth it yet.

I'm falling for all the Cred Forums memes at this point; gentoo, ssd, 16gb, animu, i7, memepad, mech keyboard.

>Thanks dudester.

you're welcome.

oh, check it out:
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Intel-Core-i7-6700K/Rating/3502

;)

4th!

> i7 6700k
>

y0 fglets, I know about FF's SHIFT+F2 thing, but is there a simple cli program for creating website (fullpage) screenshots?

The only thing that really matters is keeping a close to mainline version of qemu. Gentoo would be fine for that.

For vfio passthrough, hardware support can be spotty. I run X99/5820k and it works perfectly. I've also used Z77 when it was a new idea, and it worked with some quirks.

A friend of mine runs Z170/6700k and she has problems with VMs after sleep, and general latency inside the VM. And all this after swapping the motherboard because the ASUS board was shit.

Point is, hardware support for this is spotty and a bit manufacturer-dependent. Try to copy someone else's build if you can.

Ff: f2+shift, screenshot --fullpage

firefox can do this, just hit shift and f2 and type:
screenshot --fullpage filename.png

Fellow niggers, a) I already told you I know about FF's screenshot feature, but b) I'm asking for a cli program so I can automate it.

Firefox can do this.

Hit F2 and Shift, then type "screenshot --fullpage"

firefox has a command line, hit shift+f2, shit brix

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/B994pb

That's my current planned build. I just really want to do itx but its not set in stone yet. Where can I look for hardware support?

I hope I

Seriously, what the fuck! I just want to take a motherfucking website screenshot without motherfucking SHIFT+F2

Hello. I'm having a problem with java script elements on here.

For instance when I hover over the post it doesnt' show the pop up window of the comment, clicking the hyperlink post number doesn't actually direct me to the users post either.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LnGpTrXalwGVNy0PWJDURhyxa3sgqkGXmvNCIvIMenk/edit#gid=0

This is the only user-provided hardware sheet I've seen. You'll have to stalk the arch linux or Ubuntu forums to get a better idea of what everyone's running.

Z170 has implicit VT-d support, but not all mobo manufacturers implement it correctly. It is luck of the draw.

Since Firefox 32 there is also a full page screenshot button in the developer tools (F12). If it is not enabled go to the developer tools settings (gear button) and choose "Take a fullpage screenshot" at the "Available Toolbox Buttons" section.

I also entirely forgot, but only some Z170 boards have the correct PCIe controller required for ACS.

Sunrise Point-H is the only controller which has quirks built into the kernel (4.6+) for ACS.

dude...

>tfw plasma 5.8 is finally released

Can't wait for it to show up in the Arch repositories. I really want to start using Wayland with KDE.

youtube.com/watch?v=LgH1Clgr-uE

>he fell for the arch meme

Fugg, looks like I will have to do lots of research to get this to run correctly. Its worth it to not have to dual boot the botnet though

I'm having a wired problem with Firefox on Arch. I use middle click to open links in the background a lot, but sometimes the click doesn't work and I need to click twice or more and sometimes it just doesn't work. What could cause this? Tested already with different mice, same problem. Other programs (like pasting stuff into the terminal with middle click) work always.

Any idea?

Yes, it is hard to get working. It took me a few weeks to learn everything necessary, but that was last spring when the documentation wasn't as good.

Visit vfio.blogspot.ca and redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/vfio-users if you haven't already. Alex does most of the work for vfio-pci on the kernel.

It was very worthwhile, for me. Dual booting is such a hassle since my workstation takes a minute to boot and contains hardware Windows can't use.

>Arch
found your problem, get a mature distro

>I'm having a wired problem with %s on Arch
That's basically what you get with Arch. They break a lot of compatibility and standards.
>linking sh to bash
>linking python to python3
etc.
Maybe they did another retarded thing that fucks with your mouse who knows.

Any useful answers too?

>complaining about arch

I get it that pure arch is a meme, but any sane people would use something like Manjaro instead.

I don't know who quote, but this is my hardware:

H170N-WIFI-CF
i5-6500
RX 480

And my Passthrough is working perfectly. So any chipset better than the H170 will probably work perfectly.

install gentoo

Hmm this is interesting. I feel like its a new type of technology that will become very big in the future. I can see it functioning with a powerful linux server that runs multiple VMs where each has its own separate input/output hardware.

Yes, that is the idea.

I remember a VPS host which leveraged the technology by providing Windows virtual machines with GPU passthrough, for streamed gaming, similar to OnLive (RIP). I can not remember the name of the company though.

got the same problem on gentoo and ubuntu and i also know a guy who has that problem on NT

I have a couple of Btrfs drives in RAID 1 (not sure if relevant) that sporadically will fail to mount automatically. Mildly annoying but not that big of a deal, I'll just mount them and get on with my life. Today, however, they've decided to not respect their designated mount point, instead mounting in /run/media// which is actually very annoying!

I did the lazy thing and rebooted again but they wouldn't mount automatically again nor would they mount at the proper location. Any thoughts?

This is the relevant line in my fstab:
/dev/disk/by-uuid/a6b2805e-[...] /media/raid auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show,x-gvfs-name=raid 0 0

are you racing with mdadm?

I've never touched mdadm, so I reckon that's unlikely.

btrfs has integrated raid1 support, since he didn't say otherwise, this is presumably what he's using, not mdadm

Oh, did not realize. Thanks

how can i download a whole youtube playlist as mp3 with best quality via youtube-dl? all the guides on the interwebs are old commands. please don't link me mp3 sites, they are not songs.

texlive-base, but i don't recommend it. what WILL happen is that when you try to use other people's format templates (which is 99% of the reason to use LaTeX, to get automatic god-tier formatting), it will spit out some error about a missing mathfig.sty or whatever and you will end up playing apt-file find whack-a-mole. you will probably end up installing most of it anyway

the reason texlive-full is so fucking huge is that it comes with a jillion fonts for every conceivable CJK language variant and symbol set. this isn't even necessarily a bad thing, it can improve your font stack a lot. texlive-full is the one megapackage i allow on new installs

youtube doesn't use mp3 natively, so the best quality would, by definition, not be mp3

best quality;
youtube-dl -f bestaudio

transcode to mp3, if you must;
youtube-dl -f bestaudio -x --audio-format mp3 --audio-quality 2

it's not clear to me what you're asking

if you want to take a screenshot from X in general the best CLI tool is import, from ImageMagick

if you want to automate screenshots from an automated browser I'd try Selenium? that will be substantially more involved

Cred Forums memes are memes but if you learn to program on the side somewhere in your 20s you'll realize you've achieved enlightenment

I've been programming since I was 15.

First Android code blocks then Java then C and some python. Then perl. I'd say I'm intermediate level Java and C. I'm 18 now. What will happen to me in my 20s?

thank you, it works.

I'm building a general purpose Linux fileserver that's also going to host the odd Minecraft/Mumble/Plex instance.
I've been eyeing the Fractal Design Node 804 for a case (dat drive space).
I've been out of the loop for consumer-grade hardware and I've been wondering what Cred Forums would suggest for parts for this kind of build.

RIght now I'm looking at a cart with an i5-6600, An Asus M150 micro-atx mobo and a couple WD Reds for RAID storage.

Suggestions?

I'm on arch, do you mean texlive-core?

I think this is way overkill. A fileserver can easily run on a single board computer like a beagelbone, just grab some old used parts with low noise and power consumption.

depends on how much space (that is, how many drives) he wants. Also how many users he intends to support on the minecraft and plex servers. Transcoding needs some horsepower.

if he likes the idea of eight drives he's probably looking at more than a beaglebone could ever hope to handle.

True, but even then old used server parts usually make more sense than low core consumer grade hardware.

>
Suicide

mm, depends. Nehalem-era server stuff is cheap nowadays, and that's easily enough power to run the servers he wants to, and support a pile of drives in whatever RAID mode he cares. And he can get ECC RAM so the ZFS people don't yell at him.

He'll have to work harder to cool it at a decent noise level, though, and he'll probably have to give up on the mATX form factor.

Thanks a lot guys.

>but srsly, who the hell is using .doc format in this day and age?
Sadly almost everybody.

Unfortunate.

At least I'm not a neet and am able to mask my pure autism when I'm with my friends and girls

wasn't me, i would have said template metaprogramming

>Discovered accidentally.

Well then I'm excited