Just your daily reminder to secure your router and WiFi

Just your daily reminder to secure your router and WiFi.

>Change the default administrator username and password of your router. Use a strong password consisting of random upper/lower case letters, numbers, special characters and spaces e.g. z1HG b$%FV6% *O9 !n. If you fear you'll never remember such a password, at least create a password consisting of spaces and upper/lower case characters e.g. Cal I Co Red
>
>Check your routers settings to see if ‘Allow Incoming ICMP Echo Requests" is enabled. If it is, then disable it. Keep in mind to turn this back on should you need ISP tech support so they can find your router for testing.
>
>Disable UPnP access. That is, of course, only disable it if you have no need to use UPnP. UPnP is a huge security risk. Some ISP’s actually hide this setting in their router, such as Verizon FiOS. If you're a FiOS subscriber and use their Actiontec router you have to access the UPnP setting from a separate URL, which is listed on this web page... tumblr.theanomaly.net/post/57676730768/verizon-fios-actiontec-hidden-upnp-and-igmp-menus
>
>Use WPA2 for your WiFi security encryption. Again, use a secure password for your WiFi.
>
>If your router offers Wi-FI Protected Setup (WPS) see if you can disable it, since that is also a known vulnerability. However, this feature may not have an option to disable depending on the router manufacture and model.
>
>If you use a router issued by your ISP, check it's settings from time to time to ensure any automatic firmware updates didn’t change your secure settings.
>
>Change your passwords from time to time, and check your routers log to ensure only known devices are attaching to your network.
>
>You can test some of your routers security, such as UPnP and open ports at grc.com/shieldsup

be safe

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-range_Wi-Fi
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i didnt fall off the turnip truck yesterday. remember the thing with the stockings or something. i have tested you thoroughly and this place is beyond a shadow of a doubt wired up.

>>Change the default administrator username and password of your router. Use a strong password consisting of random upper/lower case letters, numbers, special characters and spaces e.g. z1HG b$%FV6% *O9 !n. If you fear you'll never remember such a password, at least create a password consisting of spaces and upper/lower case characters e.g. Cal I Co Red
meh. i have my ap/switch management on a separate vlan with forwards blocked except from my pc/phone ip. my router has inputs blocked from inside/outside except from specific internal ips

My WiFi password is "correct horse battery staple". Router password is "admin". Why would I change anything?

>not living inawoods where nobody is physically close enough to get your WiFi connection

>A Venezuelan techie apparently has set a new record for longest WiFi link. Networking guru Ermanno Pietrosemoli established a wireless connection between a PC in El Aguila, Venezuela, and one in Platillon Mountain, a distance of about 237 miles, mostly using off-the-shelf equipment and a few hacked parts.

cool

story

bro

>implying 2.4ghz can travel more than half a mile in the real world
>implying a really strong transmitter on one end of a connection is all you need
>implying you have any idea what your talking abkut
>implying implications

Why the fuck would you allow remote login to your router in the first place?

>ssid broadcast disabled
>only allowed macs can connect
>router ui only available over https
I don't even need to use a password for my WiFi or router.

I ssh into my router as a gateway in front of my other systems instead of exposing them all. It's a lot easier and less of a pain in the ass strictly securing one machine than all of them.

>Use WPA2 for your WiFi security encryption.

How about just denying access based on device ID? If a device doesn't have a whitelisted MAC address, it can't establish a connection to your router.

mac addresses can be easily sniffed an spoofed. MAC authentication is absolutely worthless from a security standpoint.

>thinks MAC address filtering does fuck all
You done triggered me good user.

Yeah if anyone wants to hide in the woods behind my house and fight off coyotes while browsing my internet the honestly I think they earned it.

well keked friend

pic related

why would you assume people can disable that on their shitty proprietary router software?

SSID broadcast is placebo
MAC is placebo
HTTPS is.. unrelated? I mean not bad for protecting your router password after someone spoofing a mac address breaks into your hidden wifi.

>mac addresses can be easily sniffed an spoofed.

I can't see any of my neighbors being capable of sniffing out the MAC addresses of all of my respective wireless devices, much less even knowing how to change the MAC addresses on their own computers.

I manage a router for my family since we all live nearby, but they're frankly not computer literate enough to deal with the router having any form of wireless security. They somehow always manage to lose the password, then I have to go right back to their houses and "troubleshoot" for them. I've found it's easier just to restrict access to the router based on device ID.

Do you use static NAT entries instead of UPnP?

To be honest I can't really be bothered. As long as UPnP is isn't configurable via my WAN, I don't mind.

You literally listed all the weakest security features in router technology. Well done user.

>I can't see any of my neighbors being capable of sniffing out the MAC addresses of all of my respective wireless devices

WARDRIVING motherfucker, look it up.

Fuck, I cant stand idiots who claim "my neighbors are too dumb to hack". You know all your neighbors within a couple mile radius?

>237 miles

Wow, you are a goddamn fucking idiot. Anyone can see all your traffic in plaintext, you nimrod.

u so mad at a pepepost

>use WEP
>make password less than 8 characters
>Windows computers literally refuse to connect

Am I doing security right?

See

My router is so secure i can't get to it even with correct name and password

kek

>daily reminder

I must've missed yesterday's.

2.4ghz is physically incapable of traveling more than half a mile in the real world. Half a mile would be line of sight mostly. The tests like the one you quote use a different frequency, somewhere around 900mhz. Even 900mhz is only capable of going a few miles in real world scenarios.

>couple mile

Are you retarded by any chance?

Here is a very basic primer on the subject. Anyone who claims that 2.4ghz is capable of anywhere near a mile is a moron.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-range_Wi-Fi

>doing all this to secure your wifi
>someone just taps directly into your cable

>m

>not shitposting while shitting

Of course. How many ports do you honestly need exposed to the world?

that was done with big ass antennas, and probably some kind of signal amplification

wifi will works ok at 1000 feet at most, unless you use directional antennas

>shittingposting

the longest link on the wikipedia page about long range wifi is 304KM /unamplified/

of course these kinds of setups will require good, directional antennas that aren't surrounded by walls and 5 feet off the ground

funnily enough, this 304KM link is 5.765GHz (802.11ac)

shit/posting, or as i've recently taken to calling it, shit + posting

It's light, it doesn't stop travelling at any point.
Why is it so hard to believe this is possible when femtophotography is also possible?

>radiowaves are light

radiowaves are light

You are a faggot. Sure it doesn't stop traveling, but trees will attenuate the signal so severely, you're gonna need a goddamn Arecibo to practically extract any data. Although someone could just fly above innawood's property and get much less attenuation

No, you're a faggot. Guess what the Voyager space probe uses for comms? S-band specifically 2.3 GHz to earth and 2.1 GHz from earth. Voyager is 135 AU from earth right now.

>>Check your routers settings to see if ‘Allow Incoming ICMP Echo Requests" is enabled. If it is, then disable it. Keep in mind to turn this back on should you need ISP tech support so they can find your router for testing.
Hah. I remember turning that off. In response, my ISP turned off my internet.
I also filter MAC addresses and only permit only the ones I know.

>Hah. I remember turning that off. In response, my ISP turned off my internet.
wtf
to ISP that shitty even exist?

Considering it also provides cable TV and is ISP's property, I can see why. It's also noted in the agreement which I signed.
Security in general is just placebo. It's only a matter of time before it gets broken and all your CP funneled to the internet. I do agree that you still have to take precautions, but all that seems to be mundane once you realize that you're the weakest link in security.

I used to connect to their wireless and print to their printer a page that would tell them how to secure their wireless and how the next guy may not be as nice as I am.

But sometimes I'd just print a lot of black pages.

Depends on the mood.

Fuck off faggot were not stupid.

Radiowaves aren't light, just when you go to high frequencies they do behave like light, for example any object can create a shadow for the signal

>tomato has all everything defaultly off

niiice