I don't use an anti-virus i use common sense 2016 :^)

>i don't use an anti-virus i use common sense 2016 :^)

literally why wouldn't you use an anti-virus? there's no downside to using one. even the most poorfag computer on the market now can run anti-virus with no performance hit

Other urls found in this thread:

chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php?chart=chart4&year=2016&month=4&sort=0
av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/avc_factsheet2016_08.pdf
pastebin.com/M44GwUKU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

you are incorrect about that

that line of thinking only makes sense on *nix or bsd, there's way too many exploits and attack vectors on win platforms to rely on "muh common sense"

Because I care about security.
Antiviruses are "botnet".

There's no reason to use an antivirus unless you're one of the few people still using windows in 2016

t. rootkit devs

It encourages you to offload common sense to a program which is bad (I know what I mean fuck you Im drink)

Because I understand the fact that I, as a human can make mistakes and I would rather have a limited safety net than no safety net.

If you believe you cannot make mistakes like other people, because ur leet, you are delusional.

>there's no downside to using one.
Every single one interferes with your system's activities.

One example, nod32 wouldn't allow me to install the correct driver for my Sound Blaster (only the Microsoft one) even while I had it "disabled" (I had to uninstall nod32 to install the driver).

Every single antivirus is fucking around with your system's operation in similar ways. Every single one is digging around in the background in everything that is going on. Many of them will hijack your Internet traffic, MITMing your "secure" connections, by default.

Most antivirus programs are a single step away from malware at this point.

Anti-virus is a meme, anti-malware is all you need because of this

anti-virus = anti-malware

Which antivirus gives no performance hit? I'm genuinely curious. Had Norton on my machine and it would never stop running background tasks. Kept my disk usage way high.

Because I use Qubes and routinely delete and create VMs from the templates.

chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php?chart=chart4&year=2016&month=4&sort=0

go away McAfee

If your using windows 10, microsoft security essentials is built in anyway. If you were smart enough to stick with windows 7, MSE + malwarebytes are both free and provide the best protection on the market. Why someone would pick to be careful instead of using free programs to enable them to not give a fuck is beyond me.

As i said in my previous post. Microsoft security essentials (built into windows 10) and malwarebytes. Both free, both low system impact, both together protect you better than any paid antivirus in existence.

>Norton has deposited $0.10c into your account.

holy shit Kaspersky blown the fuck out

>with no performance hit
thats not true. last time i used an antivirus program it made the computer unusable if any automatic scan is enabled.

>> there's no downside to using one
>everything takes twice as long, computer stutters continuously

Nice try, AVkike-sama. Removing MSE and MRT is the first thing one has to do to make windows at least vaguely useable.

MSE has literally some of the worst detection rates of any anti-virus software, friend

lower means better, breh

that's true

mse only prevents about 96% of malware infections in real world tests which makes it one of the lowest performing anti-virus products you can get

but, stop and think about this....

>0
>96

Thats why you supplement MSE with malware bytes friendo.

Malwarebytes
a
l
w
a
r
e
b y t e s

Every time MSE deleted something without asking me first it was clean.

You probably mean 96% false reporting rate.

no it actually has one of the lowest false-positive rates

>trusting bogus internet claims instead of first hand experience

Whatever, JIDF.

I don't need to use antivirus, sorry kid. Considering I know quite a lot about computers, I only use Arch linux and MacOS as my operating systems.
I've simply got no time for things like Windows.

>trusting anecdotal evidence over actual studies

av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/avc_factsheet2016_08.pdf

>One of the few people still using Windows in 2016.

I regret to be the one that breaks you away from your Linux fever dream, but Windows is still the operating system used by the gigantic majority of PC users.

Not anecdotal, it simply happens with my pattern usage. Which is like most of /g, namely:

>not clicking obvious malware links
>pirating ton of shit

MSE cockblocks virtually all cracks and utilities which inject stuff. Even avast knows better than this.

>implying that any malware that is still operated by someone isn't FUD, and even if it isn't any malware that you should be concerned about won't deal with your AV pretty fucking fast

>Anti-virus is a meme, anti-malware is all you need because of this
>

What's the difference for god's sake?

>literally why wouldn't you use an anti-virus?
because I'm not an incompetent fucking retard.

>there's no downside to using one
when AV programs aren't flagging legit programs and crunched/packed executables as Potentially Unwanted Programs, they also steal private information from your systems, because you sad retards think that some bloated and painfully slow AV software, usually written by dickheads that are after $, is going to SAVE YOUR ASS! quite the opposite.

how fucking stupid are you, op? out of 10? i would guess.. at least 9.9?

> be me
> 30 years of computing
> 4 non-destructive infections (3 on the ancient commodore amiga, 1 on 386-PC 25+ years ago.. before most of you sad fuckers were born)
> NO INFECTIONS SINCE THEN.

HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU IDIOTS GETTING INFECTED ALL THE TIME?!?!

you don't need AV, you need a shotgun blast to the face.

fucking lamers.

learn to computer, retards.

What is best antivirus for Windows 7?

>HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU IDIOTS GETTING INFECTED ALL THE TIME?!?!

Downloading backdoors and shiet and not knowing about virustotal is an art.

ph2, procmon, rohitab api monitor, spider sense tingles

>he still has networking enabled
lmao

Common Sense 2016 Oct. Revision

>not knowing about virustotal is an art.
depressing

calm down gramps, take your blood pressure pills

common sense 2017 was just released ;)

i'm still on Common Sense 2007
haven't found a reason to upgrade

>/g
get out

>using the smiley with a carat nose

Hi Terry

>spider sense tingles
All my keks

>using windows

>Removing MSE and MRT is the first thing one has to do to make windows at least vaguely useable.
BS. MSE has no visible impact even on my old machine. So why the fuck would you "delete" it when you can just disable it if you don't want to use it so much?

i do run one but mainly rely on common sense professional 2016 and only alerts i have gotten from my antivirus are shitty false positives from few kms tools

this means antivirus is useless

dis
plus a layer or two of tinfoil
don't run errythang as admin, always think b4 clickings of yes/ok/maybe
no no no no
why
>sex object

because packed and obfuscated executable files are 99% bad news. There is no sane reason for legitimate software to employ those kind of methods in a binary.

Linux for myself
Avira for people who want AV advice from me

t. windows user

i'm the virus

I just run a relatively secure browser with uBlock matrix and an ad blocker. No need to run active protection really so I don't *have* an antivirus so to speak of. I just do automated weekly scans when I'm not at my computer.

Also what point is there when so many viruses can be made FUD with 0% detection rates? If you're not stupid enough to get bloated up with spyware, you shouldn't need help from an AV.

>there is no downside

Last time I was using nod32 it was messing with my emails and had 25% cpu usage at times

>malware bytes
that looks like bloat

>$0.01c

>Rohitab api monitor

Blast from the past holy fuck

lol ur old

Just turned 19 some months ago. Have you achieved what you dreamed of when you were my age? Any tips?

>even the most poorfag computer on the market now can run anti-virus with no performance hit
?????

MSE used to be passable but it is shit since years now.

>HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU IDIOTS GETTING INFECTED ALL THE TIME?!?!
I don't understand this either. To get a virus you either need to click on ads, click on surveys, download stupid 5kb .exe files and execute them, install browser bars and shit that come bundled with software, download stupid torrents with thousands of seeds, search for direct downloads of games, movies and music, download 700mb movies (not you yify) - the list of stupid shit goes on.

If you have the common sense not to use Windows, you don't need an antivirus.

>/g

What's the most light weight and non-instrusive alternative for that? I'm tired of crap like nod32, kaspersky, avast, avg, etc

t. Neo/g/

A shotgun to your face.

That's just my first impression of it friend.

Becuase you're underage.

With KA shutting down I tried a few different sites and tried a malware bytes torrent with like 900 seeders and I thought it was safe. It installed like 10 programs and installed a fuck load of malware.

I decided to download malwarebytes from the official website and run the trial. It found like 800 files that were either malware or corrupt. And now it finds nothing.

When I use windows defender it keeps finding at least 3 things a day coming from /appdata/. And this only happens the next day so I feel like the malware installs its self every 24 hours. What should I do besides a system wipe?

Basically lurk moar or an hero.

>literally why wouldn't you use an anti-virus?

Linux

And antivirus software in itself is usually some freemium / malware shit. Any that aren't (maybe ESET) are paid only.

Yes, they're too bloated, even for modern systems. Some will eat up more RAM than your Web browser.

Also, the politics of false positives, some of which I strongly suspect were added at the request of the MPAA and other anti-piracy agencies.

stealing the thread
I got this virus by mail as a .wsf file ("Windows Script File"), any idea of what does it to? pastebin.com/M44GwUKU

Thankfully i'm equipped with the latest Common Sense Linux Distro, and I just opened this script as a text file with less.