Why is it not okay for Microsoft to have a monopoly of the desktop OS market...

Why is it not okay for Microsoft to have a monopoly of the desktop OS market, but it's okay for Linux to have a monopoly of the supercomputer OS market?

Well linux isn't a company so it can't be a monopoly.
Might as well say that water monopolises the ocean. Yeah it will, it's the fucking ocean

Because the fascist government can control Microsoft by threatening their profit dollars, but Linux is run by a nonprofit foundation, so they are truly pure and free.

Linux is not a corporation and no one forces the scientists to install Linux on their computers.
> I'd love to run osx, but my super computer came with Gentoo and the bootloader is locked

How can something that can be build, distributed and changed by everyone be a monopoly? FOSS is a resource, not a product.

>Linux is run by a nonprofit foundation, so they are truly pure and free

/thread

No one out there is forced to use Windows either, you fucking moron. A majority of people use it because it is superior and suits their needs. They're all free to change at any time.

systemd is not Linux and never will be.

false.

>want to use ATM
>it freezes
>cmd shows up for half a second
>"ATM is out of order"

Why OS do they use?

>Microsoft literally paying vendors to only sell computers with Windows preinstalled, otherwise can't sell computers with Windows at all
>Locked bootloaders
>Paying schools and other institutions to only use Microsoft products

nice pepe

Wow, merely gainsaying me was sufficient to totally convince me. I'm a #LinuxMeasle now!

>Microsoft literally paying vendors to only sell computers with Windows preinstalled
Because those Dells with Ubuntu bundled were so successful, right? Not to mention the half-a-dozen Linux-only vendors out there like Penguin Computing and etc. Soooo successful.

You just realized people CHOOSE Windows, it's not imposed on anyone.

>Locked bootloaders
No one forced you to buy that specific hardware model for which Linux has no support. A lot of supercomputers can't even run Windows because they're not Intel architecture, what do you have to say about that?

>Paying schools and other institutions to only use Microsoft products
Microsoft's so mean, giving away their products to educational institutions like that! Who gave them that right?!

Did you even read the post? Fucking Microsoft shill

If you had ever actually worked in an organization where you were forced to use Office 365 and Outlook, you wouldn't think it was nice. People actually think that computers are still buggy because they have to use Microsoft products.

Google B A S E D Organizations

open source office software isn't even as good as microsoft office, at least it wasn't in 2008, openoffice was riddled with bugs, and for example gimp isn't even remotely on par with photoshop

Wow, success really does breed jealousy!

You know jack shit of IT if you think organizations should give their users a choice of what to use. Also, it's not like there's much competition to Microsoft Office out there, especially in the open source world.

kek

Google Docs just werkz, and also integrates seamlessly with locally hosted LDAP. If you think that IT should be fascist control freaks who tell their users what to do rather than supporting their users, then that's your problem right there. Every work-group can choose their own technologies. I've used five different video conferencing applications in the past year, and Skype was, by FAR, the worst.

>Google Docs just werkz
>no macros
>no database
>no VBA
>lost formatting
>etc.
Confirmed for amateur.

>If you think that IT should be fascist control freaks who tell their users what to do rather than supporting their users, then that's your problem right there.
Nice strawman, but all I said is that any enterprise IT sysadmin worth his salt won't let any unhomologated software in his network.

>Every work-group can choose their own technologies.
Not if you'd like to have interoperability, and Microsoft technology is pretty much the de facto industry-standard.

>I hate Skype
Reminder that Google Hangouts doesn't meet half the requirements of a corporate IT environment. Lync/S4B just werx.

>needing a database on a desktop
>needing comic sans
>letting half-trained amateurs write shitty code that runs in a spreadsheet

confirmed for 8th r8 organization m8

It already is pretty much standard in most distros and a requirement for many important Linux software packages.

>I get to decide what my users need or don't need
>but you're the fascist dictator for implementing a security and interoperability policy

What's so bad about systemd anyway?

>not needing comic sans
pleb.

Unaudited NSA backdoor

They make pills for paranoia now, you know.

Shill harder

> because it is superior and suits their needs.
Most of them don't know wtf is OS in the first place.

k

>implying freetards do
They can't even agree whether their OS should be called Linux or GNU\Linux.

>implying naming controversies are technical argument

or as i've recently come to call it, GNU+Linux

A technical argument lies beneath the naming controversy, you nimrod! Namely, the definition of operating system.

So we "freetard" know what is OS, but can't decide kernel or userspace are the more important to name it, but we know (and potentially many OSX and *BSD user as well) what is OS and we know we have some choice if the developer gone wild. Can't babyfeed you better.

>you can't decide what is best for you without knowing intricate masturbatory internal details about it
That's how you disregard Windows users' choice of OS. It doesn't matter if they have never heard of a kernel, you don't need to know what an inlet camshaft is to choose the best car for you.

Not really...

Because the Linux "monopoly" is based on its quality, not on commercial scare tactics / unfair business practices. Linux is chosen, Windows is forced down corporate buyers' throats.
Obvious.

I think you are confusing retail and corporate.

bloated and nonsensical "lets throw everything into a heap because why not, fuck the UNIX philosophy" design

this guy has a job, you guys don't
/quarrel

On the other hand, there is really no cure for being a cunt.

>Because the Linux "monopoly" is based on its quality

haha no it's not

Nothing.

K Brenda.

In New Delhi

>this is what freetards actually believe