/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

>Headphone FAQ and guides
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

>Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/store/product/Ear-pads-earpad-cushion-for-Beyerdynamic-DT770-DT880-DT990-DT-770-headphoneFree-shipping-alistore/1146389_32549420237.html
archimago.blogspot.com.au/2015/05/measurements-usb-hubs-and-8khz-phy.html
e-infin.com/ww/item/2432/akg_k712_pro_reference_studio_headphones
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Are there any headphones with extended sub bass and neutral treble? The DT880 are almost perfect if not for the ear raping treble and weakish mid bass

EQ down the treble, nigga.

me on the right

Still enjoying my based ATH-M50x headphones. Glad I listened to you guys.

bought the akg k72's

Arrived today, they sound like shit, like a have a wet flannel over my ears, all bassy and tinny, vocals sound shitty

Gonna return them and probably just keep resoldering my motorhead phones

Are the sennheiser momentum m2 in ears any good before I bother retrying my crappy soldering?

Can you remove the earpads of the DT770 and wash them without fucking anything up?

I have them for 4 years and the earpads turned black/brown/solid and are filled with earwax

>turned black/brown
hair bleach will turn them white again

I don't mid the color i just want to clean them

Does the bass mod really change the sound on these, or is it mostly placebo? People say it really gives them a punchy bass and whatever

Why would you want to bass mod? It wrecks the resale value. Buy closed back K550 headphone.

>Why would you want to bass mod?
To get more bass?

I have $70 for a headphone amp. What to choose for a stationary usage?

smsl sap2

>Buy closed back K550 headphone.
From the graphs those actually look pretty tempting. All the way from the deepest bass to the highest treble, seems pretty smooth I think?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do these look like they're good for EDM and anything that requires a decent ammount of sub bass?

I'm looking for good wireless headphones. Any recommendations?

>Budget
500 euro
>Location
UK
>Source
Bluetooth
>Preferred type of headphone
Full sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Very comfortable
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral
>Past headphones
B&W P7

>seems pretty smooth
Smoothing the graphs will do that for you.
I happen to think the k550 and derivative models are poor headphones and would take the dt770 over them any day as a V-shape headphone.

Ah so they're V shapped... I'm trying to avoid V shapped headphones. I've listened to the DT990 before and I can't stand the recessed mids and the ear molesting treble. As far as I know the DT770 is only slightly less sibilant. The goldenears graph are kind of misleading.

In my searches I found the Denon AH-D600, supposed "successor" the the D2000/5000/7000 that so many people seemed to enjoy a few years back. Any idea how they sound? I like my bass (and sub bass) but I also don't mind clean mids and treble ofcourse. That bass bump around 100Hz looks crazy

The real successor to the old Denon line would be the Fostex TH- series and the E-MU Wood series. Reason being that Fostex made those headphones in the first place, Denon just licensed that OEM model, but now Fostex sells different models all based on that original platform.

Yes, I read about that but the Fostex are extremely expensive.

>Budget
$150 CAD
>Location
Canada
>Source
Smartphone
Full sized over-ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Not that important, won't be worn for more than 1 hour at a time
>Preferred tonal balance
Scooped, high treble/bass low mids
>Past headphones
Grado SR60e
Sennheiser HD558

thanks!

Are the sennheiser momentum m2's really as good as the reviews say?

I don't want bassy ear phones but want good sound quality and it seems the main selling point of most headphones and IEM's is the >BASS BOOST!

Which mod?

That was a while ago, back when those things were new. I don't really remember, other than that the weren't much like the Foster OEM headphones.
TheFostex-Massdrop thing, THX00, is lower in price. Still not that cheap. The Fostex headphones aren't very closed wrt isolation either, more like semi-closed that lets in sound.

>the main selling point of most headphones and IEM's is the BASS BOOST!
Most in-ear have a bass boost anyway, whether they advertise it or not.
Did Senneheiser have an M2 in ear? I remember both "over ear" Momentums were pretty pissy as far as sound goes.

What's the advantage of getting the o2+odac over Fiio E10K other than more power?

Do they sound different?

Reposting from last thread
>Budget
Less than 100 CAD
>Location
Canada
>Source
PC
>Preferred type
Over ear headset preferably
>Comfort level
comfy
>Past Headphones
Used to use some nice sennheisers, since then I've been bouncing between gifted headsets of the sub 50 dollar range. Currently wearing sades SA-708. Had a pair of Turtle Beach Z22's which weren't bad but ran into build quality and driver issues.
Have a green grill as tribute.

>Do they sound different?
If the e10k is capable of powering a pair without clipping and enough loudness than no. If you're talking about planar magnetics that's a different story and the o2 is recommended

I told you, but you didn't listen. Try K240, they are rather good and cost like only 15-20$ more.

>Budget
$150
>Location
US
>Source
Computer
Full sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfortable enough to have them on for long periods of time.
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral
>Past headphones
Some skullcandy earbuds I got as a gift.

I don't know much about headphones any help would be very appreciated.

V-Modas

Fostex T40RP MK3

Those look overly bassy. How about the D600s?

Thanks!

Is this snakeoil? I want to buy one.

Or do I go with something cheaper?

Get K712 / K7XX pads if you want bass on those.

Stock earpads are shit and don't seal well.

Why are you even considering it?

Price
>60
Source
>PC
Preferred type of headphone
>Full-size
>Open or closed
>Closed
Past headphones
>hd 202

>Why are you even considering it?
Because someone said it was better than using Optical to USB.

Or do I go with something expensive?

Are they all snakeoil?

>snakeoil
99% sure they are, tell us your use case scenario

Yes.

Consider Bose noise cancelling wireless or Sennheiser Momentum.

DT770 80 ohm

HyperX Cloud

MDR-V6 or MDR-7506.

M30x or HD419

>tell us your use case scenario
Because I'm thinking about buying a cheap SPDIF to USB before (pic related). Someone said

Won't benefit you.

>80 ohm

Why fuck?

what's wrong with the 80 ohm, it's easy to power, is it significantly more expensive in your 3rd world country?

>DT770 80 ohm
it's 250 bucks here

M50x then. Surely it isn't 250 bucks.

do you have stutter? get a usb hub and run dac through it it should fix it
or better motherboard will do the same

here, cleaning them didnd't fixed the leather becoming hard and fucking up my ears

Any experience with chink earpad replacement?

aliexpress.com/store/product/Ear-pads-earpad-cushion-for-Beyerdynamic-DT770-DT880-DT990-DT-770-headphoneFree-shipping-alistore/1146389_32549420237.html

Should I go with this one or there is any better option?

Looking for some on the go headphones, for long rides and work.

>Budget
$125 USD or 1000 NOK
>Location
Norway
>Source
Smartphone
Full sized over-ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Important
>Preferred tonal balance
Warm, all round. I don't have much experience to describe this very well.

Thank you!

>get a usb hub and run dac through it it should fix it or better motherboard will do the same
Done reading through this. It's convincing.
archimago.blogspot.com.au/2015/05/measurements-usb-hubs-and-8khz-phy.html

it's 12 burgers, not a big risk
HD419 or HD451

Well, will buy them and report back when I get them

Are there any high level audio quality in ear monitors without bass boost and just a flat response?

Had over ears before and loved them but they were really tight which made them nice for using at uni but want something a bit smaller

Budget is about £70-£100 in uk

Etymotic HF5 or MK5.

Thanks will look into them

HF5 is darker, response similar to that of the ER-4PT.

They have a frequency response of 15Hz to 15KHz, will that affect listening to songs at higher frequencies much or are most songs below that?

...and MK5 is less sensitive. Pick your poison.
Etymotic doesn't overstate specs like most manufacturers do. Most music falls within that range.

Ok, planning to listen to stuff like Motorhead, Eurobeat and anime songs, also some older stuff like drifters and Roy Orbison

They'll do fine. More than fine.

It's essentially this, Etymotic makes the flattest IEMs but they deviate from perfection a bit.

The MK5 is flatter than the HF5 but the treble response is a bit harsh and it's harder to driver.

The HF5 is less neutral, has a smoother treble response, and easier to driver.

Personally I think the HF5 is better but some will disagree.

Coming to disagree with you. I prefer the MK5 response and form factor over HF5. Then again I'm used to really neutral signature which many people find a little bright. The differences between them aren't monumental anyway and for whatever kind of music listening both are great.

>Budget
100$. Flexible
>Location
Sweden
>Source
Computer
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed preferably, but I wouldn't open if it meant better sound.
>Comfort level
I don't want to compromise too much.
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral to bassy.
>Past headphones
AKG 518LE. Good, neutral sound. Need something clearer and louder though, especially on the lower register. The cord is way, waaay too short though and that has caused me some problems.

>"I wouldn't open"
I meant to write "I wouldn't mind open"

How do those compare to the HiFiMan RE400?

HD558

Destroys it.

But a real neutral signature is not for all, RE-400 has a bit of a warm tone to it.

question is if you can hear that 8khz or not
~-100db is impossible to notice for me

only actual good thing hub can do it not starve usb only powered dac
most modern boards don't as is though

In addition to what the user before me said, Ety's require deep insertion and that isn't for everyone either. Some find it uncomfortable. Sound wise I don't think there's any comparison, Etys win.

Damm, headphone newbie here, there's literally a fucking ton of information in the pastebins and the installgentoo wiki. I just want some comfy and nice quality headphones for my daily commuter. Price range under $40

fill out the form kiddo

RE400 upper range(basically everything above 1khz) is further reduced compared to HF5.
Durability is quite lacking on RE400, flange tips are nice and supple. Earpiece body does not readily permit deep fit. Less isolation than Etys, somewhat middling isolation aside from large biflange.

> neutral to bassy

HD558 falls in the neutral part :^)

Ok, not sure if this is the right thread, but I bought myself bose companions III and they have a jack socket in them. If I plug my headphones into them (I don't want to listen to Death Grips at 3am outloud), will the audio quality be lower, than while plugging the headphones right into my computer?

Are you sure they are flatter? Just looked at some frequency response graphs for both and the RE400 seems flatter.
How would you compare those to the mc5? The hf5 might be too expensive for me to buy now.

Someone know what output impedance it have?

MC5 isn't worth it, outdated design.

MK5 is better.

e-infin.com/ww/item/2432/akg_k712_pro_reference_studio_headphones

Anyone ever bought from these guys? They're selling K712's for only $238.

The thing is I don't have access to the mk5, that's why I ask.