So what's the Cred Forumseneral consensus on NVMe SSD's? Are they Cred Forums approved?

So what's the Cred Forumseneral consensus on NVMe SSD's? Are they Cred Forums approved?

Other urls found in this thread:

techreport.com/review/30030/msi-z170a-sli-plus-motherboard-reviewed/2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Basically overpriced garbage.
Just get a SATA SSD instead.
-t 960Pro 512GB

They have poor performance increase over sata SSD outside of specific workloads. Most of Cred Forums just game. Just get a sata 2.5" or a sata m.2. drive if you dig the form factor.

but they are really fast.

What about failure rate and longetivity?

are you me??
litterally got the 960 pro 512 yesterday

I agree with him, currently with normal SATA SSDs so cheap there isnt that much performance difference that you can see. everything seems to be more theoretical performance.
Just get a normal SATA ssd. you save money and its still way faster than a HDD.

Their perf increase is now even worse thanks to Spectre.

I like mine.
By the time that actually happens a new one will be dirt cheap anyway.

the samsung 960 pro one can write nearly a petabyte before it fails.

They're really only useful in specific workloads, primarily the transfer of very large files IIIRC, and extremely small form factor builds like the NUC line and the other UCFF boards.

They are pretty pointless unless you really need that additional storage performance (either sequental or high QD random).
Actually a lot more.
3D MLC + LPDC ECC do miracles for endurance.

Yes, if you do heavy I/O or a shit ton scratch disk
I've heard that Intel's Optane SSDs last a whole lot longer than everything else but they cost so much more that you may as well RAID 1 two normal ones

IDGAF

I don't care about billion MBps speed, I want 10 TB SSD for cheap. SSD that are 500 MBps and have very low latency.

Ever so much worth it.

I have a 500GB 850 Evo and will probably replace it with a 500GB NVME if there's a good deal so I can free up a SATA port. Only have 6 SATA on the mobo and they're all in use.

>Approve
yourself.

NVMe are nice but costly. I would get one for a new build when you don't have to save every cent.
No. Just don't buy the PROs, they are overpriced, because 99 % of the users don't need them.
They use the same NAND.
A SATA SSD suffices in most cases, especially if you are looking for space. When you have NVMe drives installed you'll notice, the main bottleneck are SATA SSDs. But they could be an option for 4K editing.
Thats another nice thing, you can get rid of SATA cables and I hope this trend continues in the future. I'd like to see 2 or 3 of these slots on highend boards. They also cost only 30 % more.

How faster are they compared to SSD and are they good for OS partition? my new mobo has a slot for NVMe so I was planning to make use of it.

Worth it if you actually intend to use it properly. You have dum niggers here on Cred Forums that swear they're over priced garbage because their gaymes won't load any faster than a SATA based SSD. NVME drives are meant for work loads, not gayming or boot only. If that's what you're after and still want to use the m.2 form factor, just get the 850 EVO in m.2 form.

It's good I'd you have large file sizes that need to be rapidly moved.
It's good for 4k video editing as well.

Using it for Anything else is stupid.

It makes no difference in actual use outside of a few select scenarios. Databases under heavy load, editing scratch disk comes to mind.

>primarily the transfer of very large files IIIRC
Sure, but how often do you move files between two NVME drives in the same computer?

>extremely small form factor builds like the NUC line and the other UCFF boards.
sata m.2

Then get a sata m.2 too.

>A SATA SSD suffices in most cases, especially if you are looking for space. When you have NVMe drives installed you'll notice, the main bottleneck are SATA SSDs. But they could be an option for 4K editing.
Nope. Cool placebo you have going on there.

7x faster in benchmarks, exactly the same speed for 99% of tasks.

Some motherboard will disable sata port if nvme being used. So 5 sata port will available+ 1 nvme.

I talk about sequential writes. They aren't much faster in random ones. You probably never owned one.

That's only SATA m.2 cards not nvme. Unless the mobo is really that shitty

Probably true SATA cards NVMe uses PCI lanes.

techreport.com/review/30030/msi-z170a-sli-plus-motherboard-reviewed/2
>The M.2 slot accepts mini-SSDs up to 80 mm long, but only PCIe SSDs will work here—SATA gumstick drives need not apply.
Hah. Just checked and my mobo doesn't even support m.2 sata, only nvme.

Cheap NVME when

Adata NVME's are dirt cheap (compared to Samsung) and work really well. I paid like $180 for this 512Gb one

Samsungs aren't expensive, 110 for a 250 GB 215 for 500 GB. Still more expensive than SATA. You could get a 500 GB 850 EVO for 99 € some days ago. I hope it happens again when they sell them out so I can get cheap SSDs for storage.

Get the EVO, not the PRO

>inb4 hurr durr it will die

So I have both an NvME 960 Evo and two Samsung SATA SSDs in raid zero that equal the same storage space (250GB)... My question now is deciding which to boot from? Ideally I want my few games and most used software on NvME... Any advice here Cred Forums?

Always boot from NVMe, RAID drivers can be shitty. Then use the RAID for games.

anyone else got a 1tb nvme?
it feels like im finally free

Too expensive for a poor fag like me. Otherwise it seems pretty neat.

Only 500 G in my main PC, I would like to replace my 1 TB 850 with a 2 TB 960, but its not even existent atm.

They work, but SATA SSDs already provide all the possible improvements over HDDs. NVMe vs SATA is arguing over milliseconds in real time use.

Win7SP1 is pretty bloated, but I guess I'll bite the bullet and put it on the 960...

I've been using a 3TB NAS Raid for the past 4 years, plenty fast for media storage desu.

I'm not sure if 7 fully supports NVMe, 8.1 does, I would recommend it if you are a 10 avoider
For media yes, I don't use HDDs for anything else. I'll get me a 10 TB soon.

it does actually, pic related

i have an ssd in my computer. it runs fine.

really? i hear they're pretty buggy

runs better than an hdd

I don't know about that

Only if you have an Intel.

No, this is a PRO, and I didn't win the lottery. This costs 1200 €.

I would pay 500, maybe 600 for a TLC NVMe drive with 2 TB.

flash SSDs don't have low enough latency to really exceed SATA bandwidth for random reads/writes, but they can have enough requests in flight that they handle server or otherwise really well-threaded loads fantastically.

If your mission is fastest single threaded disk access for random accesses (i.e., QD=1 or 2), you really need to go with something pricier like 3DXP/Optane.

Flash can do big linear accesses in a single thread well (high bandwidth) too, since prefetching has a similar effect as bigger queue depth, so NVMe can benefit you over SATA there if your workload matches that.

Only can be booted on select UEFI mobos.
IE it's shit.
Unless you want to use it as a scratchdisk for graphics or downloading, compression, swap.
It wouldn't use it as long term storage just a work space.

tfw CFexpress is on its way! :D

For Cred Forums autists they aren't needed, but I have one because it's satisfying to have my OS literally installed onto my motherboard with no cables, and also it's got good endurance.

>I would pay 500, maybe 600 for a TLC NVMe drive with 2 TB.
Then you'll be waiting a while because 1TB EVOs are like 400-450€

Could happen, 1 TB costs 370 €

970 will come soon

I've had mine paired with a Ryzen 1800X for almost a year now. I'm very happy with it. That said, day to day I don't notice a difference from my old sata SSD in my last PC. Don't feel you need to avoid getting an NVMe drive, but don't lose any sleep about going with a Sata drive either.

Do I need to upgrade?

The convenience of having a tiny drive that plugs in flush with the motherboard instead of a much larger SSD that needs its own cable and mounting is nice, although this also applies to non-NVMe M.2 drives as well.

Yeah dude, shits old

What about SSD burst write speed on NVMe? My SATA-based SSD can just burst speed for a gigabyte or so before slowing to a crawl. Will a NVMeme-based SSD solve my problem?

only worth it if you regularly work with single huge files in PS or video

otherwise an SSD is going to be equal in 99% of the cases

>SATA

my sides

short story yes

>burst writing
What in the actual fuck. What sperglord created something new besides sequential and random?

MIT? burst rate has been a thing forever, usually lasts as long as the buffer does

are you some retarded meme-spouting shitter?

are you some retard cum-guzzling degenerate?

So this is an academic term and not an enterprise term? so it has no use outside of the classroom?

wtf are you talking about? burst rate is important in networking, storage, cpu, gpu, memory.....................

i want to install winxp on nvme ssd
worth it?

would it work properly? if so, go for it. hope you dont miss anything modern. tho i swear the file search works better than now on windows. mlocate still works better but good on ya

they are awesome, but most users won't benefit enough to justify the price over a SATA SSD.
t. 960 pro 512 GB

what of it?

means you lack the genetic capability to survive, sum goes in the towel, on the ground, into a sock, or in the vagoo. not in the mouth.

there are too many people. cumswallowers are part of the population problem

WinXP can't into TRIM so...

Seconding this. Three years of abusing a 250 gig 850 EVO SATA3 as my OS drive and it's still reporting 90% health. Unless you're shifting terabytes around on a daily basis for your 8k raws on a feature film or something it really shouldn't give you any durability issues.

Situationally, I'm getting one so i can put it in RAD0 since my mobo supports that but only for pcie m2 drives

> Got a 960 pro
> win10 still takes 3 min to boot
> guess it's time to install gentoo

How the fuck did you even manage that? Windows reboots in under 15 seconds on my machine and I'm still on a SATA 3 drive.

I have another related question for Cred Forums. Do you think it'd be worthwhile, instead of buying one SATA SSD, buying two half the size in Raid0? Would the performance advantage be worthwhile?

THat image is fake, what retard has to load a spreadsheet for 45 seconds? I opened spreadsheets the size of 100MB in 10 secs.

(sensor logs of an industrial device)

No clue, maybe it's waiting for the old mechanical drives I use for storage or something. Even Debian on my tinkerboard boots quicker.

I've got 2x 960 Pros 512Gb in RAID 0 as my system drive. That maxes out the PCIe 4x bandwidth for both reads and writes, clocking in about 7x faster than SATA SSD when it comes to data rate.

Whether that is of any benefit to you depends entirely on what you're doing and your other system components. Many games that require a lot of CPU number crunching during loads may not load faster with NVMe drives simply because you're CPU bottle-necked. Having a faster CPU shifts the burden back to the drive, especially with a decent overclock, I have my 8700k @ 5Ghz right now.

However some games do benefit, typically when CPU load during loading is low, and the data to load is very high. R6 Siege with HD texture pack (8Gb game), KSP, and Subnautica all stand out as significantly faster loading vs a SATA SSD. Also my CoDWW2 load speeds are now insane.

Depends on the drive, the 960 Evo has a 3 year warranty, the Pro's have a 5. If you're not writing more than say 10Gb a day they're expected to last way longer than you'll use them for. It'll differ from drive to drive.

They're cheaper (besides being faster) so if your system supports they're what you want.

You must be doing something very wrong. I suggest reinstall windows. Also do you have some very old CPU?

Don't count on it. SSDs fail randomly not uncommonly. Backup.

How hot can this thing be? I've read about it being as hot as 70C under load

>tfw still rocking 2x OCZ Vertex 4's
At least they managed to get one product right before going under.

UEFI Just sucks. Only benefit is allowing you to use a 3+TB drive as a boot/system drive. That's it.
So it's a pointless thing, unless you really gotta have 3TB or more data on the same drive as your OS/Programs.

>UEFI
2TB+ disk support is a part of the GPT disk layout. Technically you can install a traditional MBR bootloader into the first sector, but I'm not sure how well that's supported.

It's better it costs more

Cred Forums is just casuls so they'll say no

Anyone else /mSATA/ here?

Got an 850 Evo a week before Samsung announced the 860. So devastated.

>Are they Cred Forums approved?
You realize this is a freetard (read poorfag) excuse to not use a particular type of superior hardware?

It's obsolete. Moving forward laptops and desktops use m.2. drives and sata.

No duh. I'm still running an old Ivy Bridge platform. My motherboard has an mSATA slot, so I'm using it over a normal 2.5" drive.

>nvme vs regular SSD
Why not get both + a mechanical HD.
> poorfags will tell you to pick one
Pro-tip : don't

>windows 10 ltsb takes 3 seconds to boot from my 960 pro
>firmware initialization and uefi shenanigans take up arround 13 seconds

JUST FUCK MY SHIT UP. Coreboot x370 when?

My boot drive is a Samsung 960 Pro 1TB and my data drives are all 950 Evos. I don't even have a mechanical HDD.

>raid0
>ever

Mechanical always has its place for large volume archiving on the cheap. Sorry desu, you get no points for not having a mechanical. I have 960s and 850s and mechanicals as well as usb sticks/etc. Have to pick the right tool for the right job. You get negative points for just blowing cash on shit you dont need.