What's the catch?

What's the catch?

Other urls found in this thread:

indiegogo.com/projects/sentry-console-sized-mini-itx-gaming-pc-case-computer#/
pcpartpicker.com/list/QxzJ7W
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-3-1200-vs-Intel-Core-i5-8250U/3931vsm338266
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-3GB-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-Mobile/3646vsm164336
pcpartpicker.com/list/pJJJ7W
nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/laptops/#forceLocation=GB
cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel Core i5-7300HQ @ 2.50GHz
cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel Core i5-4690 @ 3.50GHz&id=2236
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's costco.

If you but it, you can't spend the money on pussy you fucking loser.

>dell
>intel

TDP throttling on top of thermal throttling especially when using the cpu + gpu (gaymes)

Just build a mini-itx desktop instead

Is that...bad?

dual core in 2018

>spending money on pussy
lol this looser can't get it for free

all i5 processors are quad core

realtek ethernet

that's not the same thing as a laptop at all.

>just buy a trailer for your civic, why buy a truck?

The catch is that buying a gaming laptop makes you a manchild

>all i5 processors are quad core
Yeah, they are now in the HQ line, you fucking noob

Looks like a good deal to me. Though gaymin laptops tend to heat up drastically at full load. And since this thing doesnt look like an RGB meme machine complete with hole technology, youll probably want to set it on a cooling pad to make it last longer.

>i5

>that's not the same thing as a laptop at all.
right it's better

Even a mini-itx desktop which takes up about the same space as that laptop when open will cost about the same yet give you twice the performance.

Why do you want to pay the same amount to get half the performance. It doesn't make any sense.

Even if you blew 60F cold air on it you won't escape TDP throttling which generally throttles performance to 50% on the CPU and GPU when you play gaymes

Just turn off the throttling.

The mobile i5

lmao can you imagine what would happen of you could do that?

It costs $800. Never spend more than $400 on a computer.

I can imagine a cooling pad and stable temps yes.

Cooling pads barely help unless you open the thing up.

I said TDP throttling not thermal throttling, both are not the same. Thermal throttling engages when temps reach ~160F and TDP throttling engages when more than 35-45 watts are used by CPU AND GPU, temps don't matter at this point.

mobile gtx 1060: ~90W TDP
mobike i5: ~15W TDP

lmao when you play games this thing is going to TDP throttle like a mother fucker, 30% performance throttling wi definitely happen if a game can max out the cpu and gpu

mah nigga. currently using a dented outlet laptop purchased for half price

>i5

he's not wrong, you fuck. you just mad cause he wa right so get out

Holy fuck, yeah this sonavabitch is gonna massively TDP throttle

>all i5 processors are quad core
incorrect.

OP's processor is quadcore tho

I cant take tge ITX ensamble in a backpack

yes you can, these things have become pretty slim

indiegogo.com/projects/sentry-console-sized-mini-itx-gaming-pc-case-computer#/

Cooling is probably shit. Buy a laptop cooler.

Also, get the extended 4-year warranty. These things use the cheapest possible parts. Also, 256GB is hardly anything.

Even if cooling wasn't shit you can't magically pull 150 watts from a fucking laptop power brick much less the fucking battery. Hell the motherboard itself limits power draw to 45 watts like user up there said regardless if you have it plugged in.

Ensamble, aka monitor, keyboard, mouse and all cablea neexed. Probably need to bring a desk some places too.

That can all still fit in a bookbag.

pic related: 16" $99 display ~1/2" thick

Are you really going to be travelling that much anyway? Literally 90% of the people who get laptops leave them at home on top of the same desk for years.

Yes I have been doing so for a while.
Bullshit can the two things you posted fit into anything wearable along with a keyboard mouse and cords, especially without damaging the screen.and I sure as fuck am not going to set it all up and pack it up again just so I can use it for 30 minutes.

He's baiting you, shut the fuck up you idiot.

Everyone here knows itx can't compete with a laptop for portability. Look at that fucking PSU.

10 minute battery life and for whatever reason it's unbearably slow after a month of use - nothing can change this.

>dell

it's not a mac

not baiting, that itx case with gpu support is insanely small

it can literally fit inside a backpack along with the fucking mouse and keyboars + screen you fucking retards

It's either this is have a laptop that constantly TDP throttles to 50% or less performance even IF you can cool it enough with a huge cooling pad and cranking the AC to 60F 24/7.

Why spend $800 on a shitty laptop that will have 30-50% the performance of a $800 slim mini-itx pc + slim display (can be protected with microfiber towels for transport) that will give you 100% performance?

>thonking.svg

Why the fuck are you evangalizing ITX? Are you a shill?

Wrong thread and board
>>/lgbt/

Because laptops are obsolete now. If people truly want portability which is why people buy them for then we now have PC tablets (ie surface pros).

OPs laptop is going to have very bad performance with all the tdp throttling he literally cannot turn off even if he brings his laptop inside a walk in fridge. The mobile gtx alone can use up to 100 watts and the mobile i5 up to 45 watts which laptops simply can't deliver. At best OP's laptop might let him draw 65 watts max which is about 50% of the performance of what a mini-itx pc of the same price range can achieve.

Too expensive at that price it should be atleast a 1070

> having all these numerical stats memorized
Try harder next time, shill.

>memory
when did it become hip to use that term instead of RAM ? even people who dont know what RAM stands for get that more RAM = faster speeds. When i see the term 'memory' its all the more confusing due to the ambiguity of that term

prove them wrong then

Also low GHz intel processor = massive bottleneck in gaymes from the get-go, enjoy those super low stuttering frame rates at 720p

Well of course you're more likely to see a CPU bottleneck if you're limiting yourself to 720p.

But the fact of the matter is that the laptop is still a superior portable PC than any itx system.

it's gross looking, but other than than nothin' bb

>Well of course you're more likely to see a CPU bottleneck if you're limiting yourself to 720p.
1080p would be a fucking nightmare with all that tdp throttling.

>But the fact of the matter is that the laptop is still a superior portable PC than any itx system.
Really even if the CPU throttles to 1 GHz and GPU to 500 MHz and you get massibe frame stuttering from all this?

Look point is that laptop has a nice spec sheet but real world performance is going to be dogshit and you're gonna regret it.

>inspiron
>gaming laptop
>ssd meme
>intel
>nvidia

>he still asks what is the catch

Okay how about you prove your point by showing someone using an itx build while on a bus without looking fucking retarded.

A battery powered itx build with a keyboard and mouse, battery, screen, and can fit in an average backpack.

Oh boy I wish I could be there in person when your face turns into a toilet when you attempt to use that piece of shit off the charger and you get a stuttering 10 fps in cowadooty.

Why is it that the dumbest posts on this board are almost always accompanied by a shitty anime pic?

What's the correlation between watching anime and being a retarded manchild?

Why is it that the dumbest posts on this board are almost always accompanied by a shitty copypasta?

What's the correlation between being braindead and being a copypasting faggot?

The price ain't bad for the specs.

deal of the decade

loser* you fucking niggers can't spell for shit

The catch is that it's a piece of shit. I work in geek squad and about 3 of 5 of these returned we're because of bluescreening.

Oh my God you're an idiot

You will have to fight witches at night while using a frilly dress.

I don't see how this is a catch

OP wants that notebook so he should buy it. Throttling etc doesn't matter because the performance is good enough for an internet machine and office work. It's cheap enough for what it it.

What's with all this crap about throttling? There are literally videos out there of people playing AAA titles on these laptops for hours with perfectly fine temperatures.

the catch is that the mobile equivalent of those parts are less than half of the desktop varients

the 4c/4t ryzen 1200 or i3 8100 are faster (altho mobo prices for 8100 are insane so its still logical to go with 1200)
the 3gb 1060 is faster than the mobile 6gb

also ur paying almost $200 more dollars an for that price u can get an EVEN better cpu an gpu in desktops

pcpartpicker.com/list/QxzJ7W

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-3-1200-vs-Intel-Core-i5-8250U/3931vsm338266

gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-3GB-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-Mobile/3646vsm164336

also good fucking luck gaming on just 250 gigs of space, when most AAA games nowadays are 50 - 100 gigs after patches

add a 1080p ips monitor, windows and keyboard to that price you nigger. Don't post pcpart lists if you don't have all of the components.

u cant even fucking BUY a 15 inch 1080p screen either way they go as low as 70 dollars for a 21 inch and a fucking MK120 costs 15 dollars, so just add another 100 dollars and its still no where near 800 dollars

on low settings, it's not about thermals - it's about tdp throttling

both the i5 and 1060 have a total tdp of like 150w which that laptop can't fucking supply so when power draw goes above 35-45w it will throttle the cpu and gpu

added a 1080p IPS and keyboard and mouse

pcpartpicker.com/list/pJJJ7W

adding windows is retarded because you dont have to activate it unlike widows 8 and prior, also the cost for pro (which is the good version that lets u manually adjust upgrades an such) is so much more than the home version, when u download and create the ISO u are given pro as an option...again FOR FREE because activation is not ENFORCED

Ok user, I have the last gen version of this PC. It's actually pretty decent until you want to change/repair your OS. Then you will wish you had picked anything other than Dell. I went on a week long vacation on the other side of the US for a week and I shit you not on the first day Windows 10 corrupted. Just do a repair with a W10 install USB, no problem, right? Well, no. You see they have some weird ass SATA controller or some shit that Windows can't fucking deal with. You literally can't repair, reformat or even install something like Ubuntu as an emergency OS on this piece of shit. There are no drivers available that will load during setup either. I had to wait until I got home and take the HDD out and put it in my desktop and then I could reinstall.

Fucking kikes pull this shit to make you want to pay them just to get it over with. People without technical knowledge are truly fucked by them.

It's ~125w not 150w, probably even less in real world usage.

>lmao1080p

tdp does not mean what you think it means.

and if the one OP linked is the same as on the australian site, it comes with a 180W power pack so power throttling won't be an issue.

>Being this much of an autist

>non-M mobile processor
trashman.jpg

how long till buttcoin miners buy several of these at a time?

ITX guy is right, if you have to go somewhere that isn't a LAN party just bring a low-end or used laptop or tablet

Housefire

samefag

nigger the CPU alone has a tdp of 45W, 1060 is 100 at least

not an argument and he's right

retard

mobile version is only 60 – 70

nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/laptops/#forceLocation=GB

lelno, desktop variant (1280 cudas, 1.5-1.7 GHz, 3.8 TFLOPS) uses 120 watts while gaymen

Mobile variant is just clocked slightly lower (1.4-1.7 GHz) so at best it uses 100 watts while gaymen

BUT no thin laptop would ever let you draw more than 35-45W and CPU is used while gaymen.

>tl;dr this thing is going to stutter and lag like a bitch no matter how much you cool it

Throw me the link Opie Dopie

Listen to the anons in this thread OP, this laptop is going to drive you straight to buyer's remorse town.

If you're actually going to be traveling that much then get a proper gaymen laptop like an msi one.

pic related is their i7+gtx 1070 model $3,000 gaymen laptop after an hour running cpu and gpu load. You won't even get half this performance on this shitty thin laptop guaranteed.

Maybe the OP doesn't have 3000 bucks

Only if you're some snooty dumbass who thinks what retailer you use to purchase general goods is indicative of your social status.

It's a 4C/4T 3,5ghz cpu...

>inspirod

wrong
>fucking noob

Then he shouldn't be buying a gaymen laptop then, good things cost money. destop pc would be a better alternative for him, hell the 1060 + i5 desktop parts only cost like $500 alone

HQ is M equivalent retard.

Aren't you supposed to get good deals like this at Costco

I was thinking of buying similar laptopt Lenovo Y520 with GTX 1060 and i7 7700HQ but now i am worried after reading this thread! What if i play with the power adapter on will that slow my laptop down?

i have an msi gaming laptop with a 1060 and i7, i cant play anything demanding if i dont have it plugged into the wall.

No i mean trottling problems like that user is saying. Will it be bad for gaming even when plugged in?

no... unless the laptop has some really shit cooling. ive never had mine throttle ever

Ok op. I get your point, that price seems way too cheap.

The only thing I can think, is that's its the original batch from last year that had absolutely terrible screens.
They changed to a different model screen at some point, and fixed the issue. But you really don't want that shit One

Sorry, can't tell you anymore

Just get a laptop with a thunderbolt port and get an eGPU. Those ultra cheap gaming laptops from HP and Dell have heat problems because they're just slightly oversized versions of some budget chassis. In this case I'm willing to bet the chassis and cooling is based off the Inspiron 5000s or 7000s which were designed for 15W CPU + MX150 AT MOST.

Jesus christ guys tdp throttling LITERALLY cannot be bypassed by cooling the shit out of the laptop even with fucking liquid nitrogen. The laptop in OP's pic is limited to 65 watts maximum which means playing a game for a few minutes will cause clockspeeds to plummet to 50% and while the tdp throttle engages and disengages frame stuttering is guaranteed.

tl;dr good gaymen laptops cost thousands, get a desktop, poorfags

Nigga you have a 240 ssd and nothing else. Is he gonna own three games at a time?

That's literally worse, high latency will make input lag intolerable and no thunderbolt can deliver 16GB/s which is what GPUs use.

Just ran timespy on my Quanta laptop with a 1070 in it after reading these comments, I got 1500ish on battery and 5500 plugged in, holy shit

Bruh if a battery even attempted to deliver 100+ watts it would literally fucking violently detonate.

they're gonna watch u jerk off

according to what? i highly doubt that the clockspeeds would throttle that low if its plugged into the wall.

Depends on usage, people don't notice it because they rarely play gaymes, just use the CPU on moderate load. However OP plans to play fucking nintendo which will literally max out the gpu and cpu. A laptop that thin would fucking detonate if it even attempted to provide 150 watts both the cpu and gpu use. This ability is reserved for high end gaymen laptop which have those super micro itx PSUs.

an even better question should be in what alternate universe is that plastic piece of shit worth $799 dollars?

in a universe where a 1060 is going for like $350+

enjoy your literal trash cpu
cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel Core i5-7300HQ @ 2.50GHz

cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel Core i5-4690 @ 3.50GHz&id=2236

cant tell if mentally disabled or just trolling. you should go ahead and neck yourself either way.

the catch is that it comes with a fuckton of unremovable bloatware that renders the hardware completely useless. I bought a laptop from costco. Not to say its costco's fault, but it fucking sucks dick even with an i5 inside. Even opening the fucking file explorer is slow as hell.

i guess it depends on the laptop manufacturer. the msi one i have has never throttled down its clockspeeds, and i monitor it all the time during gaymen

>inspiron
>dell

the thing will mostly fall apart also the processor is slow.

Don't expect to run anything released in the last two year on anything but low

you can do a clean reinstall though, the windows product key is tied to the hardware, so you just need to use the tool MS provides

what is intel xtu
my i7 surface doesnt throttle anymore after undervolting and dicking around with settings. why couldn't someone with laptop do the same

Dude, wtf? How dumb are you? Can you whip out that mini-itx build and push an "on" button and start working/coding/whatever on a bus or train or plane?
The ability to be turned on and used in the same few minutes (also known as portability) is the real value of a laptop. There is no mini-itx build which can do that without autism-tier nigga rigging.

This is right.

You're retarded. A laptop throttling the CPU to 1 GHz and GPU to 500MHz really still is better than a mini-itx which you can't even use at all.
You mean the laptop is stuttering at 10 fps? Gee I sure am glad I chose a laptop based on gaymen and nothing else!!!
They're trolling you/whoever they're responding to. You fell for it. I guess I did too, but I doubt anyone reading this made it this far.
His text isn't copypasta, please kill yourself.
What's the correlation between being braindead and thinking something is copypasta when it's not even close to copypasta?
Oh look, it's the same faggot! Please kill yourself or get off Cred Forums, or both! 谢谢!
>lol, you referenced a real datasheet? I will reference nothing! THE REAL WORLD DOESN'T HAVE ROOM FOR ME!
>I'm retarded and didn't look at RAM prices OR GPU prices! Because I'm retarded! Or I'm just too dumb to explain myself before I post! Because I'm too busy being retarded!
>I use the word literally and I have no idea what it means.

I hope all these people die in a fire.

>indiegogo
If you want something that doesn't deliver.

Naturally what you want in a notebook is an 84 watt CPU.

you are going to want more ram for dual channel

Windows

>been hearing the 'devs will optimize for multi-core soon!' since 2013
>most things still only use one core

Why are we all pretending here that all gaymen laptops are created equal? This one is guaranteed to throttle because it doesn't have the same vrm/phases high end gaymen laptops do that can pump out hundreds of watts. Also you're not going to be using a gaymen laptop in public, that's how you entice theft and bringing a lock with you everywhere is going to be a pain. To top it all off you need to be plugged in else the battery can only deliver a fraction of the performance.

I don't understand why people don't buy a cheap thinkpad for portability and build a mini-itx for gaymen.

So what? You can turn it off easily.

Had this one for one night before I returned it. The fans are loud as shit, even when just on youtube those fuckers had the potential to wake someone else in another room. Clunky as hell too. Temps weren't bad though.

Honestly Kaby Lake R CPUs are more worth it for laptops these days, but the one you have in OP is decent enough.

Just remember it's consumer grade and iirc Dell had some issues with hinges on earlier Inspiron models.
The fact that is has a dedicated GPU as well as an HQ CPU kind of makes it worth it for that price, though.

How can it be a gaming laptop if it isn't covered in RBG lights?

same here, i've seen reviews that y520 is perfectly fine for gayming, that only screen is somewhat medicore, none mentioned tdp throttle. I need to dig deeper.