/wt/ Watch Thread, Classy Chrono Edition

This thread is about the appreciation of chronograph horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=P5jRLH0L5S8

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

japan-onlinestore.com/SBGA281
ebay.com/itm/Seiko-Analog-Sport-Watch-Prospex-Baby-Tuna-Black-Mens-SRP641K1/292281448694?epid=5003305629&hash=item440d54f8f6:g:OVYAAOSwOYFadGQB
forums.watchuseek.com/f642/grand-seiko-straps-2462569.html
s.aliexpress.com/bYb2uaEF
seiyajapan.com/collections/buckle-clasp/products/genuine-grand-seiko-buckle-16mm-capital-letter-seiko
ebay.com/p/Omega-Speedmaster-351050-Wrist-Watch-for-Men/219490369?iid=332555266731
amazon.com/Citizen-BJ7000-52E-Nighthawk-Stainless-Eco-Drive/dp/B00074KYC8/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1519007699&sr=1-1&nodeID=6358540011&psd=1&keywords=citizen nighthawk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

looks big

wristlets need not apply

looks dressy as fuck

This is a good watch

just ordered an seiko sne437

I want to change the band to a jubilee or oyster style one.

how would I know if the curved ends will fit the case?

does anyone know of good one sthat will fit this watch?

my wrist is 7.5", anything over 42mm still looks stupid even if it "fits"

w2c

Interesting about the crown. I plan to get a quartz but it would be my second GS. First GS for me would have to be a spring drive or auto.

You bring up the serviceability of the spring drive which is something I as well am concerned about. My current goal GS is a SBGA081.

You could contact strapcode and give them the model number to make sure it fits the case

I like the super oyster

for what purpose

>SBGA081
Deprecated :^)

Funny enough I actually prefer the old GS dials. Plus don't care about resale.

An advantage of the 9F movements is that they are the only GS movements that Seiko USA can service without having to ship them to Japan. That's what I think I recall reading before sending it in.

You can't go wrong with the autos either. I have an 8L35B movement and it is top tier. I can only imagine that the 9S is probably something truly remarkable.

Pic is another GS 9F I considered.

Picked this up yesterday.

Thoughts?

should've left it on the ground

Thx m8

>citizen
>ever

Rewards for their long-time employees.

fuck that's nice

I want to get a Tudor bracelet for my PADI special edition and I am not sure it will fit

>getting a bracelet that costs more than the whole watch

Well I want the spring lock on the clasp that the divers have

shigeru

japan-onlinestore.com/SBGA281
so i'm trying to research this a bit, what's the diameter?

Says right on the link you posted. 39.4mm

Oh is the width measurement the same? I guess that would make sense. Thanks user. Adding it to the life long wish list.

Anyone know where to get a Seiko Baby Tuna ? All prices are inflated.

Black/gold colour way

>eta hand size is .25mm

ebay.com/itm/Seiko-Analog-Sport-Watch-Prospex-Baby-Tuna-Black-Mens-SRP641K1/292281448694?epid=5003305629&hash=item440d54f8f6:g:OVYAAOSwOYFadGQB

>people on the urban soyboy getting ass blasted over edc's with pistols in them

how would this look on a black leather strap?

There's a whole thread on WUS dedicated to GSs on straps, just take a look:

forums.watchuseek.com/f642/grand-seiko-straps-2462569.html

Help I cannot stop buying digital Casio's.

>forums.watchuseek.com/f642/grand-seiko-straps-2462569.html
this is not ok

why not fag

i wish they would release a textured dial like the snowflake, but black instead of white. that on a leather strap would be ideal.

Looking for a really well-known chronometer similar in design to a speedy, automatic, under $2K. I don't mind it being used. Should I just save up for a moonwatch instead? Or are there better alternatives in the 1500-2000 range?

bulova moonwatch

Me again
Is the Speedmaster Reduced okay? I mean it didn't go to the moon but hey craftsmanship is what I'm looking for here.

not auto

yeah no one cares about the difference

i actually prefer the reduced

I like the look of the reduced. The movement is not very service friendly if that is something that bothers you.

Why? The smaller dial?

he is a tiny man with atrophied wrists

yeah the smaller size makes it more practical as an everyday watch. the two tone gold also works well as a dress watch should you desire.

>yeah the smaller size makes it more practical as an everyday watch.
for a woman

>the two tone gold also works well as a dress watch should you desire.
gay

kys pleb

>I have a single old black and white photo
>that means I should wear a tiny gold plated version of a mans tool watch

AHAHAHAHA

i wear a 40mm every day famalam sorry i'm not as fat as the typical burger and have 6.5" wrists ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

some of us just don't care for a 52mm panerai

>some of us just don't care for a 52mm panerai
we...we were talking about the omega speedmaster, not the 52mm panerai, did you become confused?

Not arguing about the two tone. Conflating big watches with being manly is just about the same tier retarded as what you would call "soyboys" thinking they are manly growing beards.

suggesting you could have a two tone tool watch of an iconic model which would serve perfectly in literally any occasion short of diving is bad?

sorry you have pleb taste?

>hurr durr 42mm is for men but 38mm is for faggot women
did you remember to take your medicine today?

I don't conflate big watches with being manly, I conflate seeing a normal sized functional tool watch and thinking "oh i wish that were more dainty and covered in gold!" with faggotry

>>hurr durr 42mm is for men but 38mm is for faggot women
>did you remember to take your medicine today?
I am confident that what ever watch you are wearing would look better on you if it were 4mm smaller in diameter with more gold accents, I am very sure that's the kind of "man" you are

>name a speedy reduced model i think looks good as an example of how versatile it is
>literally costs no more on the used market than SS models
>insinuating i'm some arab money who considers the pinnacle of class to be gold chromed lambos because i like a two tone model of a watch
whatever friends you have must hate you lol

whatever helps you sleep better, champ. while you're at it, tell rick flair he's a dainty faggot for only wearing solid gold rolex tool watches.

I'd go with the black dial one.

Do they make it in 34mm with rose gold accents?

No not to my knowledge

Dang, when will us real men catch a bread :(

that's gaudy as fuck

there are a shitload of different references, you'd be hard pressed to find a face you didn't like. you can find good examples for ~2k usd. motm for horological reasons is archie tier, who cares unless you're really interested in getting the hesalite.

Unrelated but I would wear the fuck out of a rose gold datejust

The reduced came in both plastic and sapphire

I got the SRPC13 recraft with the teal/blue-green dial from my local brick and mortar store for about 230usd. I am surprised it was in stock, I thought the entire internet had bought it up to flip it for a higher price.

Found a sbdj027 for 359 USD at the airport in the Taiwan airport. Should I go for it?

I've got bitch wrists and it's perfect.

And how is it?

A bit bigger than it needs to be. The hidden lugs help to reduce excessive lug overhang, which helps it look a bit smaller on the wrist. If I really find that don't like it I will probably trade it for a mini turtle.

can anyone recommend a watch winder?

does it need random turns or certain turns per day?

Why would someone get this over an Oyster Perpetual?

>pic related

"What time is it user?"
"Black"

s.aliexpress.com/bYb2uaEF

bamp

The Speedy Moonwatch isn't automatic, it's manual wind. The Speedy reduced is the auto.

and should I get one with multiple winders?

boof

It's called a chronograph.

Why is there such an influx of people getting this wrong lately?

Talk me out of buying a cheap analog casio quartz instead of a memechanic

How do you know that he wasn't actually looking for a chronometer? Those are also a type of watch by the way.

I know I got it wrong at the very beginning too. In French, everyone outside of watch nerds says "chronomètre" when they mean stopwatch.

The speedmaster isn't a chronometer.

>I actually prefer the old GS dials
Well then you're in luck, a Sarb will give you 99% of the experience of the old Grand Seiko branding.

To me, the new branding is infinitely better, and truer to the original Grand Seikos.

anyone knows a good website to buy a butterfly clasp for a watch strap in europe?
nothing crazy, I'm just trying to avoid cheap almost plastic shit (which is 90% of what I see on amazon)

If you don't appreciate the engineering, and just want a watch for aesthetics and time, definitely buy a quartz watch.

If you're interested in the engineering/complications or resale value, go mechanical.

is it impossible to appreciate the engineering that goes into a quartz movement?

AliExpress

You can appreciate it, especially if there is something special about it. Like Spring Drive, or the high accuracy stuff from Longines, Citizen & Seiko.

No, but there is significantly less to appreciate.

6 different fonts

To elaborate...

What's cooler? An enigma machine (which can be cracked) or a SHA algorithm (which is secure).

A nice mechanical watch is a painstakingly handcrafted marvel of mechanical engineering (which doesn't keep perfect time).

A quartz watch is based on the vibration of quartz (which keeps near perfect time).

Which is cooler to you? How much is that coolness worth to you?

The quartz

$50

>Well then you're in luck, a Sarb will give you 99% of the experience of the old Grand Seiko branding.
This isn't true and makes you sound like a pure brand whore

>To me, the new branding is infinitely better, and truer to the original Grand Seikos.
Only the first GS model had GS exclusive branding. Most vintage GS and KS models were dual branded Seko and GS or KS. I also prefer the co branded dials for their consistency with those vintage GS and KS models.

I wanted something that would last a bit and not rattle around, I'm not gonna put this on a 5$ shit watch

Should I get the SKX007 or the SKX013? I like the 013 idea of a mid-size diver, but I'm afraid the gaskets might be harder to come by, since its not as usual as the 007/009.

Be aware that that Speedmaster uses an ETA 2890 movement with a piggyback Dubois-Dépraz caliber 2020 chronograph module. Independent watchmakers will typically not service those modules and you will need to send the watch back to Omega for services, where they will remove and replace the entire piggyback module rather than bothering to service it. Make of this fact what you will.

Have you even looked? You can get the stuff they supply to makers of fake watches. So they're reasonably good quality for the price. If not you only wasted a couple if bucks.

>I'm afraid the gaskets might be harder to come by

Maybe like 50 years from now user.

All those SKX models are in total abundance. There's no shortage of skx anything.

Thx. I guess its only my fault I live in shitty eastern Europe where the watchmaker will skin you for parts for a watch outside the norm, i.e.1the usual quartz shit. Fucking battery monkeys...

Good taste, user

Wtf do we have the same watches?

Fucking beauty.

>tfw no 38mm Grand Seiko snowflake

How is the lume? Been thinking i might cop

>25k asking price

That's a bargain
Link pls?

That's absurd. That's more than the last Grand Seiko Astronomical Observatory Chronometer to come up for sale went for and the AOC is worth more.

Low effort, 2/10.

I've owned one, excellent watch. Bought mine for £700 and flipped it for £1000. Don't buy one for more than £800 with b/p.

As others have said movement is potentially a problem service wise. Go for the standard black, really stunning watch at a perfect size.

>Don't buy one for more than £800 with b/p.
So don't buy one?

wtf I love him now

i love the green dial, but i don't think i'd want the green bezel on it

The mini turtle is a fucking abomination. Get the real turtle unless you have little girl wrists in which case you should be buying an SKX013 instead.

no it's not

Where can I get a classy as fuck strap like that?

good looking chrono OP

>Then, and only then, do we sell it. The Explorer sells for $180 (with authentic Rolex bracelet, $195) at fine jewelry shops. Other waterproof, self-winding chronometers from $175.

>Rolex for $195 with bracelet.

>mfw even with inflation, I was still born in the wrong time...

Good morning! Question for you guys. In visits to 'official' watch stores, I've heard various combinations of the same claim: that hand-wound movements in the long run are more accurate than automatic wind. I can't find any literature on this, and I'm curious if there is any merit to this claim.

The way I figure it is that each watch is basically individual based on the quality of the movement, assembly, and regulation. But has anyone simply tested an automatic wind movement against the same movement with the rotor removed and hand wound?

Also, would it simply be the case that a hand-wound movement might be more accurate because of it being wound theoretically at the same time each day, using the same area of the mainspring compared with an automatic wind, which might be more variable? Curious as to your thoughts. Thanks.

Pic related running at 0. Right now it's more accurate than my Seamaster which I just got back from servicing....thus the question came back to my mind.

Who/precision/ today?

>I've heard various combinations of the same claim: that hand-wound movements in the long run are more accurate than automatic wind.
That depends on how you define the long run.

I would think that, over the ~5 years between services early in its life that an automatic would tend to be more accurate than a manual wind watch because the automatic will remain close to fully wound constantly while on the wrist and will only consume the first ~8 hours of its power reserve over night, while a hand-winding movement that is wound once a day will cover its first 24 hours of power reserve loss, and I would therefore infer that it would be at a higher risk of rate variation due to isochronism as a result.

Conversely, over the very long run of multiple decades past the point of easily being able to replace the mainspring barrel, then automatics would start to have a higher risk of low amplitude, short power reserve, and more isochronism versus a manual wind watch where the mainspring is attached to the barrel and barrel wear shouldn't be an issue, meaning that amplitude and power reserve should remain good over the decades as long as the watch is serviced regularly.

These are just deductions though.

If you guys think r/watches is bad the facebook watch groups are even more horrifying

Thanks. In all honesty, the claim had struck me as a 'selling point' for manual wind watches, a talking point that a salesperson would use to coax a customer into not dismissing immediately an expensive watch they have to wind themselves.

Given the technology though in modern watches, couldn't we expect a constant rate of power (sorry, I don't know the correct terminology here) from the mainspring for at least 24 hours? I haven't seen a mechanical watch today that has a power reserve less than 30 hours...most of them seem to be 44 hours and up. Would it not be reasonable to assume that the power loss tends to happen in the last 8-16 hours (just a guess here) of modern watches, thus making the hand-wound similar to the automatic wind in terms of getting power from the first day of full wind?

Or, am I simply going down the rabbit hole?

I always forget they wouldn't make those unless someone was buying them

>This isn't true
Of course it is.
A Sarb has the same styling as a GS, and the applied S E I K O logo branding is the exact same from a few feet away.

>makes you sound like a pure brand whore
Lol, what the fuck are you even talking about?

>the first GS model had GS exclusive branding
Exactly.

>Most vintage GS and KS models were dual branded Seko and GS or KS. I also prefer the co branded dials for their consistency with those vintage GS and KS models.
Talk about brand whoring.
And that style of branding was retarded. The dials literally spelled out the word "seiko" twice, plus a third reference with the "S" in the "GS".

minor difference being his hulk seems to be a rep vs yours which looks legit. spot the off lume plot at the 10 oclock on his. i'm sure a clearer picture would offer more evidence

How similar the rate of a mechanical movement is at full wind after 24 hours depends on how well the movement and particularly escapement design compensate for the inherent isochronism of conventional mechanical movement designs, and that number is essentially never 100% exactly.

Basically, if you take a mechanical movement at full wind and put it on a timegrapher to measure the amplitude of the escapement, and then measure it again after 24 hours, you will see that the amplitude will decline to some extent. The two variables involved then become: How well is the mainspring able to minimize the decline in amplitude over the first 24 hours, and how well does the escapement design compensate for that gradual decline in amplitude over the first 24 hours and minimize the consequential change in rate?

While modern mechanical movements do pretty well in this regard, especially over the first 24 hours, they aren't generally able to *totally* eliminate rate drift over the first 24 hours so I still think its reasonable to infer that the a new automatic would have some measure of advantage in this regard when new.

Getting constant torque from a mainspring is a really expensive problem. Modern watches are slightly better at it than watches from sicties yers ago, but not much. You really need a fusee, a remontoire, or a special escapement like the one from Girard perregaux.

That is some ugly looking mofo

Got it...that makes sense. Is the decline of amplitude related to the total power reserve of the mainspring (i.e. all other things being equal, a mainspring that has a power reserve of 50 hours will show a smaller decline in amplitude over the first 24 hours than a mainspring with a power reserve of 30)?

Yup, that makes sense too. I remember reading about the fusee and chain which was intended to solve this problem...cool stuff to see.

>A Sarb has the same styling as a GS
Not really, and the external finishing is on such a different planet that they are worlds apart at a glance.

>and the applied S E I K O logo branding is the exact same from a few feet away.
Ah, so the concern is that others might look at your wrist from a few feet away and think you are wearing a S E I K O instead of a more 'prestigious' brand?

>Talk about brand whoring.
And that style of branding was retarded. The dials literally spelled out the word "seiko" twice, plus a third reference with the "S" in the "GS".
Oh, so because you don't like it that means it wasn't what Seiko did for most of the existence of Grand Seiko and King Seiko prior to quartz, and that Seiko should abandon the historical continuity of the dual branding? Personally I'd have preferred they stuck with tradition because design traditions in watchmaking are valuable.

>Got it...that makes sense. Is the decline of amplitude related to the total power reserve of the mainspring (i.e. all other things being equal, a mainspring that has a power reserve of 50 hours will show a smaller decline in amplitude over the first 24 hours than a mainspring with a power reserve of 30)?
I think that's reasonable to infer, since the longer power reserve movement will start at a similar amplitude at full wind and finish with a similar 0 amplitude when it stops, logically the rate of change in between must be slower.

Thanks. It all makes sense now.

>Not really
Autism.

>Ah, so the concern is that others might look at your wrist from a few feet away and think you are wearing a S E I K O instead of a more 'prestigious' brand?
The point is that you get 99% of the pre-2017 GS branding in a Sarb.

>so because you don't like it that means it wasn't what Seiko did for most of the existence of Grand Seiko and King Seiko
What?
When did I say this wasn't what they did for "most of their history"?

>I'd have preferred they stuck with tradition
The oldest, most original GS tradition does not include the "S E I K O" logo.

>The point is that you get 99% of the pre-2017 GS branding in a Sarb.
Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with that. Anyone who isn't interested enough in watches to understand what makes a Grand Seiko different than a Seiko they see in their local department store is going to be just as dismissive of the "Grand Seiko" at the top of the dial as they would have been of the "Seiko - Grand Seiko" on the older models, and I don't think it was worth sacrificing the historical continuity of the dual name for this reason because think the exact same people that went "LOL SEIKO" before are going to go "LOL grand SEIKO" now. Personally I think they would have been better off to spend more money to educate the market on the tradition and history of the brand than on redoing all the dials.

I don't think there is any point in arguing about it any more, I think there is roughly a 0% that either of us is going to convince the other.

What a fucking beauty. My fantasy is finding watches like this and vintage Fender's at garage sales for nothing. I hate when winter is over but I am excited to go hit up garage sales with a couple of hundred in my pocket this spring.

>the label will make any difference when people glance at your wrist and think you're wearing the seiko 5 or sarb you bought at Sears

Who gives a shit about heritage and branding when you have boring fucking styling.

>Who gives a shit about heritage and branding

Yeah, I think the difficulty today is that with the availability and info on the internet, it's far more difficult to find people who are selling things that they don't know anything about. All it takes is a google search for them to know that their watch is valuable...they may not know precisely how valuable, but they'll have a basic idea.

There are always pockets though; small towns or old people who simply don't know that info is out there. A sudden death in the family, or someone trying to get rid of stuff quickly in order to sell a house they can't afford or upkeep.

Unfortunately, in that respect it's a kind of exploitation...but then again, things are only as valuable as what people are willing to pay for them. Should we feel guilty for being there at the right time? It's a tough one...

>Anyone who isn't interested enough in watches to understand what makes a Grand Seiko different than a Seiko they see in their local department store is going to be just as dismissive of the "Grand Seiko" at the top of the dial as they would have been of the "Seiko - Grand Seiko" on the older models
Wrong.
In the pre-2017 GS branding, the applied logo at 12 o'clock is the EXACT same as the applied logo on Seiko's cheapest offerings.
At least now the GS logo and branding is distinct, just as it was at the beginning of Grand Seiko.

>sacrificing the historical continuity
What about the historicity of the original styling that predates your precious dual branding?

>the exact same people that went "LOL SEIKO" before are going to go "LOL grand SEIKO" now
At least the logo is completely different now. Just like it was at the beginning.

Not him, but the current post-2017 branding is much closer to the original branding.

The guy who said "who gives a shit about heritage and branding" isn't the game guy who was I was arguing with about Grand Seiko only vs. dual branding. Or at least I don't think it's the same poster, so I just made fun of his plebtastic comment.

And I wasn't disagreeing that the new GS branding is closer to the original, I was saying I personally preferred the historical continuity of continuing to use the dual branding that Seiko used for KS and GS models well into the quartz era, so basically the argument was preferring historical continuity over going back to the original branding. I don't think there is any chance either of us is going to convince the other, either, so I don't see much sense in arguing the point with him any further.

>Personally I think they would have been better off to spend more money to educate the market on the tradition and history of the brand than on redoing all the dials.
No.
A good brand should speak for itself based on its merits.

This is almost impossible to do when the brand on the highest of the high end product is the exact same as the one on the cheap product.

Grand Seiko made the right decision by ditching the generic seiko logo and going back to the original branding.

Well this is a really disappointing start after a fresh service...

Magnetized or did they just not regulate it AT ALL after they finished servicing it?

Actually, since its running massively fast it's either magnetized or they messed up setting the regulation, if they'd forgotten to re-regulate it then it would be slow, not fast.

I'll be testing it dial up, dial down, and 3up over the next 2-3 days and then depending on the results just regulate it, or take it back to the watchmaker.

Makes sense.

Oh, if you have a timegrapher, check the amplitude dial up, I'm curious to know what its giving freshly serviced.

Is there a Seiko that's not ugly as shit

I'm travelling so I'm afraid I don't. I can try to get a recording.

True but I would say most people setting up a garage sale have no idea what their stuff is worth or don't care for some of the reasons you listed. Anyone who was serious about getting a price for something would list it on eBay.

That being said a lot of normies have no idea about brands outside of Rolex. They also think Invicta is a reputable brand becuase their mall has one.

Ah, no rush then. Whenever you end up with access to one is fine.

Dozens to thousands.

Give chronometer with cluttered dial now!

Anyone knows where to get a Seiko signed buckle? I'm going to get an aftermarket strap but I'd like to have a signed buckle on it if possible.
I only found Grand Seiko buckles, but my watch isn't a GS, and I don't want to pay too much for a buckle anyway.

seiyajapan.com/collections/buckle-clasp/products/genuine-grand-seiko-buckle-16mm-capital-letter-seiko

This is what I got for my 5740C, at least.

Oh, I was thinking more like $5 to $10.

Good luck, you're going to need it.

WELL DONE AND CLASSY

Navitimer? Or do you mean lines of text like a Tudor?

Why are you posting a Roman Emperor to defend boring gook shit made for braindead boring middle managers and aspiring weeb Staples employees?

I think he means way too much info like the citizen skyhawk or w/e it's called

No effort at all, 0/10.

Gift for a friend, finally finished. Doesn't have the BB block hands because I think he might want the Mercedes hands.

Thoughts?

Yes.

On what? A YouTube video?

Post a screen cap or 4

the facebook page jabronis

There is a 39mm snowflake in precious metal

Hey Lemania Speedy bro, was it Maple Jewelers you recommended me? A buddy is trying to find info on the special edition cocktail times (SRPC01) because we heard it's being released again internationally, would Maple be a good bet for this?

What watch?

Seiko 5256

Yeah, he should be getting them if they are getting released again. Your buddy might want to call and see if he can get the guy to call him when it comes in or any he gets might get sold instantly. Enough people know about his store that the sought after models tend to sell out fast.

what do you think boys

why is that font used for 'automatic'
looks really out of place

post this and get nothing but hideous watches in response. I personally only like this one but i think the black shit in the hands ruins it so i don't even really want it anymore.

because its a trash tier ali express fifty fathoms clone the tiger in the name should have given it away.

Fuck this is an interesting dial. Never saw a penisquartz like this one before, what does /wt/ think?

are you people all mentally ill?

As a penis quartz owner, that looks hideous.

does /wt/ have discord?

where the fuck do you think you are sunshine

Likewise, user. I love this thing.

The new ones come with the cyclops because they figured out the glue problem with the pressure, but I love the aesthetics of this.

lol, wow

Not really my thing. It's got a little too much of that 1970s Seiko VANAC vibe for me.

hahaha

It doesn't look great here but it's probably poor lighting. My QR looks amazing in bright light but rather dull in less favorable light.

Alright, had to try.

Does /wt/ have instagram? Post your accounts.

What's the link to the official /wt/ Myspace page?

Post your MSN guys.

A/S/L?

We simply MUST exchange carrier pigeons some time, guys.

i'll send you some paper in a bottle via the ocean in a bit f a m

Guys, what's the semaphore for "ROLEX"?

Help what Casio should I get next? Probably will end up getting all three regardless.

I'm watching a few on eBay. How much did you pay for your King Quartz if you don't mind you asking?

the GS global website seems to be missing a lot of models, where do you find them all?

>tfw no built in Windows utility to synchronize your timex datalink since winme.

Not him but I paid about $120 for mine from yahoo jap

Got my sweet new flamingo NATO.

Thanks. I've found a couple of Type IIs for £95 but I'm holding out o a King Quartz.

I paid 155 for that twin quartz.

/r/watches

i'm interested in buying a radio controlled watch, are they as accurate as advertised? I'd like to get something under $50 if possible

using optical or usb?

Get a Skmei instead of the middle one. it's cheaper, has a better light and has a metal case.

>are they as accurate as advertised?
yes

My Type II was around £30, don't overpay.

already have one senpai.

>fuck the user that posted thisnthe other day
How can I get this from rakuten into the EU without taxes?
How can I get a nip watch without getting raped?
I am going to Japan later this year but pic related isn't a current model anymore. Would it be easy to find?

>look at prospex divers
>all the good looking ones use glass crystals
>all the sapphire watches dont have the looks I want
Reeeeeeeeee I just want watch crystals that dont scratch like soft cheese damnit.

Had mine for a year now and while the bezel and case are scratched up the glass is flawless.

>tax evasion is a crime
Now this out the way.
How can I get this from rakuten into the EU without taxes?
Shouldn't try it. There are ways to reduce or not pay, but I wouldn't trust any.
>I am going to Japan later this year but pic related isn't a current model anymore. Would it be easy to find?
Look for stores that have it, online, and go buy it in person. You might get a discount too. It's not going to be that hard. But after you bought it, make sure to dhl the box and paper from japan to your home. Don't have it with you or the customs might just fuck your shit up.

Are there any automatic Seikos with this kind of turtle-shaped tuna case?

Jokes on you, i use a fountain pen to write to my penpal.

is this the pinnacle of industrial design?

If you get a jap scummy enough to mark it as a gift and as "watch parts" or something under 50 usd you are golden.
But i doubt that you find one

a e s t h e t i c

>having to push a button to see the date
nah fuck that

i want this, but will i miss having day/date?

probably not

aren't they really inaccurate?

what sort of look are you interested in? the SLA017 has a domed sapphire crystal

People keep saying this but it's not been my experience.

More inaccurate than Casios
Casios normally have around +/-5 seconds per week while Skmeis easily have +/-20

bigass tax refund came in
what should I blow it on and regret later

I think they are much prettier without day/date. There are so few times when I want the date on my wrist. I use it if it's there but I don't have a problem not having it when I don't.

Frankly, I'm not sure where you're getting these numbers. My Skmei is essentially as accurate as my Casio.

116200 datejust with a blue dial. Send it to me afterwards.

It definitely looks nicer without it, very symmetrical. But I’m used to pic related so it’ll be a bit of an adjustment, I check it fairly often.

From my own experience
Though they can vary by default since I think they all use the same quartz movements anyway

Ah, perhaps I got lucky.

Love this one

Seiko makes a bunch of different models that all look like this, what the hell is the difference between them all? Tried one on a Macy’s that was like $500, looked just like this SKX009K2 on Amazon that’s only $200. I think The only difference is the Macy’s one said PADI on it.

the king of wristlet watches

Markers, color, padi, country, and strap, all have different item codes

You were looking at the SRPA21

>10atm in a window
???

nice

My condolences.

Worth the extra money or should I just get the SKX009K2?

get it if you want it

It's only like $50 more than an SKX, you get a much better movement, better bracelet, better dial. Worth it if you ask me.

I was specifically looking at the SNE453 and 493, like the ones Billy "I bought two Prospexes to average out the price to something reasonable" Hotdogs has. But all of the solar movement watches are Hardlex, and I tend to be hard on my crystals for whatever reason. Mineral glass has never held up scratchless for me, and I dont see Hardlex doing any better. I do like how the 453 looks, and as somebody pointed out, the PADI at least has the potential for being worth more one day.

The SLA017 is a $4000 watch. The SPB053 is a $700 watch with a $300 watch's movement and sapphire. Do divers typically command more dosh? I mean, SARBs arent very expensive, but use the same movement with sapphire crystals.

It’s about $150 more

You can get them for around $280 or so last time I checked. Look around a bit.

Just modified my perlon strap to fit my Vostok Amphibia, it looks pretty badass. What do you think?

The amount of time this probably took you is embarassing

/wt/'s opinion on Junghans? I am considering a Max Bill (no chrono) but am wondering if it's worth the price. Anyone have experience with the handwound version? What is the movement like? How's the crystal?

this is my 14 year old neighbor's watch, is he WIS?

The only real complaint about the crystal I've read is how it's AR coated on the outside as well. So scratches aren't really that easy to get rid of.

I've heard that they're a little loud and easy to scratch but otherwise not many complaints.

On the other hand AR on both sides of a crystal looks fucking fantastic, like there's almost nothing there.

>Even with inflation Lolex are 10x the price

Seriously, fake luxury

>Polex

I hate that watch. I have similar and the crown is so delicate that it's caught on my clothing and stopped running. Battery does in two years. Uggg, it was cheap but I'm still annoyed that I bought it.

Would love a reimagining of this

Are "polished" watches a buyer beware? What does that even mean? This looks too good to be true.
ebay.com/p/Omega-Speedmaster-351050-Wrist-Watch-for-Men/219490369?iid=332555266731

You need to fix your deductions, dummy

You just reminded me I owe about $5k In buttcoin taxes and shouldn’t be buying any watches.

Objectively speaking, polishing can eliminate blemishes or small scratches in a case and make it look nicer. However, it can also change the original finish of a case (from matte to polished, for example), round off previously sharp shapes, and change the shape of the case.

Subjectively speaking, for the majority of collectors, the downsides I mention get serious weight and a poorly polished watch has a far lower value.

That would be neat, but I hope it would live up to the vfa ethos - say, a 30spm on the wrist guarantee.

I never see good polishing jobs on 90% of watches. Most people have no idea how not to fuck up edges.

Back in the watch game after a long absence, growing my colleciton.

Gonna pick up a Citizen Nighthawk soon

>That would be neat, but I hope it would live up to the vfa ethos - say, a 30spm on the wrist guarantee.
To achieve a +/- 30 SPM standard that they could guarantee would likely mean a lot more adjustment labor than customers in that segment today would be willing to pay for. Right now I believe only LVMH is claiming that kind of accuracy on a mechanical, and that's on their MEMS movement.

That's not to say it couldn't be done, but it would cost a LOT of money to do with a 9S85 based movement.

Which one? I was always partial to the oldest one, until I tried it on. The bracelet was VERY sharp on the wrist...and the case was less elegant than in photos. But I still do regret not picking one up.

amazon.com/Citizen-BJ7000-52E-Nighthawk-Stainless-Eco-Drive/dp/B00074KYC8/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1519007699&sr=1-1&nodeID=6358540011&psd=1&keywords=citizen nighthawk

Damn that blue lume looks sharp

I just want to have the watch to use every day. I'm not a serious collector. Would it be worth it? Or am I better off going to my local boutique and paying retail?

Holy shit...I thought they'd long since discontinued this....

Fuck...I don't have the money now....damn.

Go for it though man. There was an all black version that I tried on in an airport many years ago...looked bloody awesome.

But definitely try it on before purchasing...I distinctly remember how uncomfortable the bracelet was. The edges of the links are sharp...very sharp. And the case is a little boxier than it looks.

Much like the original vfa, which was significantly more expensive than the "basic" grand seikos of the time. I could definitely see a market for a limited run of modern vfa at around the 40-50k mark easily.

What's the best cheap watch from aliexpress? It must be around 38mm

R8

Put all those shitters in the bin/10

I don't know why, but I really hate that fucking Mickey mouse watch...

3/10
4/10
1/10
0/10
0/10
Consensus, not sure if bad taste or bait.

They're all garbage. Not even meming. There's no harm in spending $12 on a garbage watch, but nothing on that website is quality.

Ditch everything except the Bulova. Then get an actual g shock like a 5600.

i won something from buyee two weeks ago, paid, said it shipped but doesn't say when it will arrive.

where does it say that? Nip websites are a nightmare to read.

Apologies in advance...the usual wall of text is here.

First, I wanted to thank you all for your enthusiasm in my Seagull journey...so far the watch is fucking exquisite in terms of performance, so much so that my Omega is now sitting safely in my drawer in its box. I'll take it out again soon, I'm sure...but for the moment it's 'all Seagull'. Also, if it weren't for you guys, I wouldn't have known of its existence. So, thank you.

Secondly, I'm drunk right now, and thus I'll be a little more wordy than normal. So, I apologize in advance. It's been a very difficult and stressful but productive day, so I'll get to the point (while the thread is quiet).

I've always had an attraction to the Rolex Daytona. I can speculate why; the old El Primero movement (10 beats a second), the very well proportioned and classical styling of the face and subdials, and of course I can't ignore the prestige that comes along with it. In fact, now that I think about it (in my drunken stupor), I've always been attracted to the Sea-Dweller too....though it's more because I hate the magnifying eye on the surface of the Submariner.

There are always forums where people slag on Rolex, for whatever reason. But I've never heard any serious critique of the Daytona. So, I appeal once again to your knowledge...is there any serious reason not to like this watch (and have it on my list of 'things that I want'?)

It's a silly question, in a sense...but it's one that comes back around every few years to the forefront of my mind. Is there anything to criticize about this watch, from an horological point of view?

Thanks in advance...from the depths of rum territory.

Fossil Blue Masterrace.

The Daytona has, more than any other Rolex, had prices ridiculously inflated by collectors. Compared to what you can get for the money I think it's very hard to justify.

Yes but old pic

Fair enough; I had heard rumors about them artificially increasing demand by restricting production numbers, and at least when I last looked into it there was a 2-year waiting period just for a stainless steel version.

But from a strictly horological standpoint (movement, accuracy over long term, etc.), is there any reason not to like it? The reason I ask is that there have been threads on there before that have informed me seriously about why not to purchase a certain watch or why a certain watch is a good purchase. But with the Daytona I can't find anything definitive. It's all masked, veiled by the reputation of the watch itself....does that make sense?

Pic unrelated...but beautiful.

I'm sure the movement is fine. Believe Rolex holds it to the same 2spd standard. But at least to me the value of Rolex is as super-high-quality production watches under 10k; much as I love the idea of the skydweller, complications don't really strike me as rolex's true wheelhouse. Do you really want a Daytona for so much more than a jlc or a zenith?

Yes tax evasion is bad. However I am of the belief that when an item cannot be sourced within your own country and it is not for commercial use or reselling then you should not have to pay 21% fucking VAT.

Thanks for tips
Is that yours? Nice. How do you like it, any wrist shots?

What strap is that

Would give my left wrist for a Daniels.

Thanks! It's the aesthetics that speak to me, not the value. The origins of my question are perhaps a little less honorable, and more instinct. I love the look of the watch, the design of it, the aesthetics of it. But there is almost nothing out there to tell me if the movement is a good and reliable one, if the rate is good over time, etc.

Yes, we can definitely compare the prices and find other watches that are better value...in truth it would be smarter for me to simply save the money for an eventual Lange. But there's something about the Daytona that really speaks to me, and I'm hoping that an user can tell me, 'well, the movement isn't all it's cracked up to be, and here's why'...or 'it's worth every penny'...or 'if you can get one pre-owned, go for it'.....

That's more along the lines of what I'm thinking. I want to know if the watch is as valuable as it is in my drunken stupor of a mind.

Agreed...but I really want one of the pocket watches. Actually, watching his lectures on youtube made me want to learn more about watchmaking in general, not because of his personality per say but because he makes it seem so doable....like anyone who put their mind to it would be able to accomplish something special, unique, and above all else, beautiful.

thrown out, Delma Swiss made

recovered

It is very doable man. You just have to learn. Alot of guys 35+ come to the watchmaking school to start over with something new. it's never too late. George Daniels was definitely my biggest inspiration going into this.

How autistic would it be to mount a stopwatch and a pocket watch to my car dash?

Seattle WOSTEP?

Thanks for the encouragement....sadly, that boat has sailed for me because my hands shake too much. I have exceptional fine motor skills, however the hands and fingers must always be moving. A contradiction on the surface, perhaps, but one that directly coincides with my field of work and that I must ask you to take without further explanation.

While I think I have the mind for it, my fingers just won't accept anything that is slow and steady on a microscopic level.

Have you ever made your own timepiece?

Depends on the car. If you use a classic 911 for road rallies and have a set of Heuer dash clocks, it's very cool.
An old soviet chrono zip tied to the dash of your mom's minivan isn't quite as cool.

>I get paid to finger teenage girls

What about a truck?

Is it me, or does it always seem like the hands on Langes bend upwards towards the tip?

I don't see it

Well not specifically in that pic, but look at some videos.

No
No, we're not that far in yet, but we will. Pic related is what we will be making (with our own design). It was made by another student years ago.

No
No, we're not that far in yet, but we will. Pic related is what we will be making (with our own design). It was made by another student years ago.

NEW THREAD

I think big letters on straps are overall gaudy, butt fuck it, it's you're life.
You would have had a better result with a decent thread.