Apparently my hard drive was automatically encrypted (without any notification or prompt...)

Apparently my hard drive was automatically encrypted (without any notification or prompt...)

I can't find my recovery key...
Help

Try control Z.

Give it back, Daquan

Give it back, Rajesh.

RETURN

>automaticially encrypted
sure thing Jamal now give it back

Install Gentoo

That looks like Windows so I wouldn't be surprised if you could just bypass the encryption by flashing Ubuntu onto a USB, booting into that, and backing up the contents of your hard drive. You'd be surprised at how retarded these companies get, they figure that just because their operating system is stopped by something, all operating systems must be stopped by that thing.

Lol. I don't know why did I try that.

Well I have the extended warranty and I just bought it. I still have all the papers and everything. Should I call someone or is there a way to check my recovery key?

I looked up on the internet that there was a possibility that the recovery key was backed on my Hotmail cloud (OneDrive). The only email I registered (on settings) was my UNI blackboard email and there was no recovery key backup there.

I'm desperate...

If you don't care about what's on the hard drive (cause you just bought it) you could you just wipe the hard drive and start over

So either go online with the Microsoft Account that was used on the Device and Using the Recovery Key ID on that page, generate a code that'll get past it.

Or just wipe the thing and start fresh with Recovery Media, like a USB or something.
Preferably with an OS that respects your freedom.

Literally your only options.

I guess you're too stupid to know what encryption is
Typical Linux user

I don't know if that could revoke the warranty.

Bought it on December. So I have 3 months of work there. I can't afford to lose that .

The only Microsoft account that was used on the device was my UNIs. I tried to do that but I only have my cellphone. I need another computer, which I don't have.. well I'll have to borrow one.

>Typical Ubuntu* user.

If you start now you may be able to decrypt it in 1 millon years, so you better hurry

Re-enable secure boot.

>automatic
Home versions don't even have bitlocker, which is retarded in current year because Android and friends have it for free

give. it. back.

its easy to to solve, log into your microsoft account, and look for your key,

>I don't know if that could revoke the warranty.
Are you mentally retarded?
You'd be booting from external storage, it would NOT revoke the warranty, and read the warranty.

IDK. It could be like Android that rooting/unblocking your phone revokes warranty. But yeah I'll read the warranty

Thanks. I'll do that tomorrow with some other laptop...

Thank you all guys.

Give it back Dayqwuan

I hope you made frequent backups.

t. retard

Give it back Reemo

>I wouldn't be surprised if you could just bypass the encryption by flashing Ubuntu onto a USB

>implying grandma wont forget her dementedass password

Thats what you get for not using C L O U D storage matey

Give it back Latrisha.

What if only the partition header was encrypted? maybe it was interrupted.

you mean partition table? i hope it was stopped in .02s because that's a lot of nothing

You don't encrypt the MBR or the GPT as you cannot boot if the BIOS can't see your partitions. Windows doesn't play nice when the partition header is not MBR or GPT either.
I've seen partition managers fail to wipe disks with faulty noise generated headers on windows whereas dd does the trick.

Linux lets you go partitionless with BIOS mode but that's only because you can create a small slice of 16 bit unencrypted code in the first 2048 sectors for grub to execute with crypt disks flagged true.

If bitlocker encrypted, it started on the NTFS volume.
Being a nonCoW and MFT based FS it's really not a fucking thing that you should interrupt halfway.

The weakest link in bitlocker implementation is the Trusted Platform Module. They can be hacked but its not easy. Its either this or rip data.
Re-installation is always an option.
Good luck

Also if you did any hardware or bios changes, undo them. that might be enough.

there are multiple exploits to unlock bitlocker partitions
no experience with any of them though since i don't use that shit

If you're not Tyrone, then the recovery key should be in your OneDrive

Give it back, Asphalt

The first lesson is always the hardest but at least yours is only 3 months of work. Have you learned the importance of keeping offsite backups now?

Hopefully you back up your data.

If not, you will from now on user.

The drive is encrypted, meaning even if you boot to another OS, you will not be able to read the files. All the skiddies who say "lol 1337 hax will unlock it" have never used a password cracking software. You COULD try cracking the encryption key. But be prepared to waste 2 weeks of your life with no outcome.

But keep trying to boot it. Remove any usb's just make sure it is starting with nothing attached. You could get into the BIOS and try turning secure boot off and clearing the TPM.

Otherwise, reset the OS and restore from backup buddi

Yep.... which cloud do you guys recommend? Is OneDrive ok?

Fml

>cloud
No. Do your own backups. How are you going to restore anything without a working machine and network.

Avoid cloud services like the cancer that they are. Why are you even on this board?

Don't steal Tyrone

Hayden Boot master race reporting in.
>install haydens boot CD
>recover system, do speed tests, make it faster
>enjoy that comfy feel when system is faster and you have your hard-drive back

Give it back Jamal