Home server general - /hsg/

home server general - /hsg/

comfy BSD is the most secure edition: media.ccc.de/v/34c3-8968-are_all_bsds_created_equally#t=3538
+ run your own DNS server edition: zwischenzugs.com/2018/01/26/how-and-why-i-run-my-own-dns-servers/
+ RISCV Homeservers NOW
Are you interested in learning Linux or BSD administration and configuration better. Becoming a systemd expert? Or maybe you hate that shit and want a cozy little BSD machine to run services on and interact with. Or practice more advanced and complicated networking setups.

>news:
> EVERYTHING IS ON FIRE AAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! (except raspberry pis, which are safe) and Risc-V.. maybe?
> LKML is hosted on somebodys homeserver!

>chat
> discord.gg/9vZzCYz

youtube.com/watch?v=Del1GNuODL0

Other urls found in this thread:

southampton.ac.uk/~sjc/raspberrypi/pi_supercomputer_southampton.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Already own a microserver gen8 and I fucking wish I bought more. They used to be £179 plus £50 cashback every now and then. Now the base model is up to £499 on ebay.

About to pull the trigger on a used custom NAS on ebay. Supermicro X10SLL-F, Pentium G3258 and 8gb ram. This will be just used for storage and my microserver will do most of the heavier lifting.

Since they both have dual NICs and both will be running ubuntu, how can I maximize bandwidth between them? Is SMB multipath as simple as it sounds or do I still need to set up bonding?

I have a raspberry pi 1 lying around somewhere. Any reason not to use it as a mini-server?
(New hardware is currently n.a.o)

>raspberry pi 1
throw it in the trash

How's Alpine for home server?

its perfect

>comfy BSD is the most secure edition
This is why the thread has been gone to shit

Setting up my OpenBSD package build cluster today. A Soekris I had lying around as a master and some diskless slaves that boot over the network.

Can you give me some advice for a home computer I could use for this? Don't want a raspberry pi, just something I can seed and mess around with. Cheaper is better.

>the thread has been gone to shit

I've since moved to Void. I prefer xbps and runit and I can also choose a musl variant if I so choose. But I used Alpine for a good, long while and absolutely loved it. It's small, efficient and easy to use. I highly recommend giving it a go.

>Security people are often the black-and-white kind of people that I can't
stand. I think the OpenBSD crowd is a bunch of masturbating monkeys, in
that they make such a big deal about concentrating on security to the
point where they pretty much admit that nothing else matters to them.

>To me, security is important. But it's no less important than everything
*else* that is also important!

> Linus

Optiplex USFF of some kind (perhaps 780?) will get the job done. But I highly recommend getting a machine like the 7010 MT if you can afford to do so.
Optiplexes are often deployed at small businesses and enterprise enviornments. Like the ThinkPads Cred Forums is so fond of, they can be obtained on the cheap. *nix support is pretty good, if you're interested in that sort of thing.

I've got an system x m3 laying around. What could I do with it? It has 96GB RAM and 7TB sas storage and 2 xeon with 4 cores

Scored an R710 with two 300GB 15K SAS drives, two Xeons, and 96GB of ECC RAM over the weekend. $200. Did I do well?

Better question, what do I put on it? The Xeons are quad cores with hyper threading. It's also got a total of six or eight gigabit ethernet ports. I would like to use all this power somehow.

None at all, I love my rpi1 server because it runs on basically any USB charger and costs almost nothing in electricity

Replaced Dell 2U server with 3x15k SAS drives in raid 5 with $10 orange pi zero with SSD and it's not even that much slower.

I can't stand linux tho, too much work for me so I'm gonna get one of those chink intel x86 sticks and just rip board out.

Sup poorfags bixnood here to shit up your server thread. Why are you all so poor and stupid? Smell ya later losers.

Not a huge fan the direction the FreeBSD core team is taking development. Complaining about CoC bullshit instead of fixing critical CVEs. I still need ZFS in my life though. Has anyone used any Illumos based distros yet? Specifically OpenIndiana. I was a Solaris admin for a few years in the late 2000s, so I am pretty familiar with the source, but not really the derivitives.

You dont even sound like me, and how old is that pic? I went back to Safari a long time ago.

Does the Orange Pi Zero have 1000baseT?

don't fuck with anything greater than layer3 for increasing bandwidth. Get a switch that supports LAG creation and use that.

What's the best way to backup a server off site in case of a disaster that would destroy it?

I'm sicked of Transmission and tried to mess around with Deluge and rTorrent. I must be fucking more brainlet than I thought since I couldn't maken Deluge work and I feel like rTorrent wiki is infinite. Some tip for a retard user?

Why? Mine runs pihole just fine. There are a lot of server tasks it would be good for.

Veeam

If you can afford it - tapes. LTO4 drives can be had for around $200, and then tapes are around $20/800GB. LTO5 is around $400 for a drive and $30/1.6TB. If that's too pricey, cold storing HDDs is not ideal but will work for around 3-5 years before you start to see bitrot and platter degradation.

>he got memed into paying money for a GUI wrapper to a 20 line bash script, rsync, and tar

>HDDs is not ideal but will work for around 3-5 years before you start to see bitrot and platter degradation.
you're a retard. bit rot happens regardless of age or use, read a datasheet and look at the URE statistics. Its the entire reason why enterprise class disks exist. And it happens to SSDs as well.

Your idea of platter degradation is retarded as well.

You have no clue what Veeam even is or does do you? To start off with you're retarded batch script doesnt do dedupe and compression, making it actually possible to transfer several TB worth of data over a typical WAN connection. This ignores things like hypervisor integration, SureBackup or that it is actually designed to scale to service provider level environments.

hello fellow firepower fag, what version you running in prod? do you have any 8350 stacks?

>what version you running in prod
This is at home, FTDv 6.2.2.1

>do you have any 8350 stacks?
This is in my home so obviously no, i'm not spending a million dollars on a firewall for home

>inb4 why did you buy FTDv for home
I developed a crack for it, pic related.

Ah, this is my shit home lab. Running on Ryzen 1700. 32GB for now. Will increase to 64 GB soon.

I work for cisco so dont need crack shit. We have internal licese generation tool.

Also trying to download internal cisco lab right now. About 60GB. Has ISE, Stealthwatch, AMP, ASAv, WLC etc as an all in one package.

Any chance you want to send me some 10Gbps licenses for the CSR 1000v?

Tape seems a little high end for my use case. I'm looking to back up like 10TB of data for my home media server. While that amount of data storage on tape might not be that bad price wise, the act of backing up to the tape and moving the tapes somewhere isn't very convenient.

>you're a retard. bit rot happens regardless of age or use, read a datasheet and look at the URE statistics.
You are clearly the one who hasn't read the Western Digital whitepages on using rotating platter medium for long term archival in cold storage. You clearly have never run a cold site. HDDs degrade at a rate much faster than tape media when in cold store. Sure, you can restore and recover blocks, but in terms of lifespan and uptime, you are best off not using them for cold storage.
>dedupe and compression
>what is tar -czf
>what is tar-dedup, zbackup, SDFS, lessFS, fdupes, ZFSdedupe, and a billion others
Also, why the fuck do you need hypervisor integration? You should be doing those sized backups directly from your SAN environment, not from your hypervisor. It is like you have never actually managed a datacenter before, and you just use whatever flashy software the faggot from SV shoves in your face.

just buy one poorfag :)

Sorry man, dont want to get caught and bendover.
If you report it cisco, I be fired.

s/uptime/MTTR/

Use transmission daemon

Why would I report it to Cisco? ffs, I just told you (Cisco) that I developed a crack for your firewall.

Veeam also integrates with various SANs you retard

I´ve been using it since ever but the fuck gives me troubles from time to time. Last one was it doesn´t download certains torrents and I couldn´t find why. I tried same torrent with other client and downloaded at full of my bandwith. That's why I was trying other options.

>BSD is the most secure edition
Why do you autists still repeat this?

>Veeam also integrates with various SANs you retard
So does my 20 line bash script, and it didn't cost 10% of the fucking IT budget to license. Windows and vSphere admins are the most braindead people in the entire fucking world. If some skinny soyboy from the bay area offered you a web frontend that helps automate you tying your shoes I am sure you would buy it, as long as it used 20MB of javascript and has a flat UI. Oh, BTW, did VMWare finally get all the features from the flash version of the vSphere client over to HTML5? Because last time I checked you idiots where still switching between the two for basic tasks.

>muh magical bash script does the same as 3.5GB of code
stay a larper user. you dont even know what log truncation is do you? or object level restores are do you?

>3.5GB of image assets and reactive javascript for animations somehow makes my software worth thousands of dollars over a functionally equivalent set of scripts
It is you who is the larper bix, characterized by your half baked buzzword salad that you dont even understand.

stay off of 8pol, some very shady shit on the mod/admin side happens there

the admin is scummy as fuck but its a decent board nonetheless

How much would you guys be willing to pay for a HP g8 with a Xeon 1265L and 16GB ECC RAM? Just curious how much these shitboxes are worth these days since g9 is a turd.

>When you nearly fuck up a distro upgrade because you forgot to uninstall and reinstall the ZFSOnLinux packages

I should just migrate everything to SmartOS and use LX zones and not worry about this anymore.

Maybe like $100 at most. There is very little reason to own those things.

>doesn´t download certains torrents and I couldn´t find why
Weird ass problem

>Weird ass problem
Indeed. The worst part for me is that I heard for a few people that it is a non rare issue, yet I only could find one result in google and it wasn't exactly my case.

There's no single best way.

I've liked bup and borgbackup for backups. Especially if you have SSH access to the remote server everything is easy.

>I think the OpenBSD crowd is a bunch of masturbating monkeys

You say that like it's a bad thing. I'd rather have monkeys that can masturbate than ones who can't figure out how to poo in loo.

The best thing about OpenBSD is the man pages. On Fedora if I want to figure out how to change my sound volume from command line I better have an internet connection. Then I still can't figure it out because everyone says dude just install pavucontrol. It's solid advice too. Pulse Audio is a clusterfuck. Avoid interacting with it directly. On OpenBSD I use the man pages. So much nicer.

Are those SMA connectors? If so then what do they do?

Page 7 mates.
Btw, managed to get delunge. I'm too derp sometimes.

>Page 7 mates.
These threads never last because i'm the only one who can talk about relevant things, and bait people in to yous to the point that people impersonate me. No one wants to talk with some pifags about larping that their shit boxes are servers.

Yeah I got a HPE Gen10 but I'm happy already with what it is serving right now beside the transmission-daemon issue so I can´t help a lot. Sorry mate.

Normally I'd say back up any important files as an encrypted file on your parents computer
but that's probably only 30 feet away at max

should I just go for a ubuntu server if I want to set it up as a seedbox for my torrents, small minecraft server (5~10 players at the same time) and sometimes I will browse the web/watch media with it? nothing over 1080, maybe I will get a cheap 1030 or similar for that if needed.

If nothing of that task are gonna be 27/7 you're already settle with a workstation.

I just installed w10 ltsb as I had a usb lying around and set the minecraft server, so it's already 24/7, and I will do the switch when I decide if to set up windows server 2012 or ubuntu server, or maybe just debian or whatever that werks
the mc server and seedbox (probably deluge) will be 24/7, and watching media/web only once a few days

My opinion is that if you're only running that (although I don't know how thirsty is a minecraft server) and it is your 1st "server" you will be settle with some SoC like the Odroid. Low consume, can run cool and cooler if you get some chipset sink and swap its default, and you will be able to keep your workstation for you.

I have been already using my PC as a seedbox, just running deluge 24/7, for some months without much problems. A friend has a pentium (the same socket as an i5 2500k) with 2gb of ram, I have have 8gb that I could use for that. It will consume more than an odroid c2 (which was already my first option) but I plan to use like 4 HDD, 1tb, 4tb, 2x8tb.
A minecraft sever doesn't consume a shit from what I have seen, just a gib of ram with 5~10 players

>4 HDD, 1tb, 4tb, 2x8tb.
>a gib of ram with 5~10 players
Then get cheapo parts with 4 satas and cheap cpu imo. I will be a good server.

yeah, i'm going with that, i just need the OS for that, and a way to transfer all my torrents and settings from my pc to that "server"

If you just want something "that it just werks" go something vanilla as ubuntu, yep. If you think you will tangle or refine it in the future search something that let you practice then.

I AM DYING OF LAUGHTER

ok, then I'll go for that. also I will use a smol ssd (120gb) for the OS as I have already a bigger ssd on my laptop, I guess

As the other anons stated, alpine is great for a small footprint server. I am useing it now for my data server, with absolutely no issues. Even setting it up was easy, they have a wiki on their site as well as a forum.

Alpine also works great with ZFS, so it makes a good SAN head

Re-purposed MIPS network appliances make the coziest BSD systems, even if they totally shit themselves with more than three concurrent users and take a minimum of ten hours to build anything from pkgsrc.

Looks pretty cute. What do you use her for?

I finished building my OpenMediaVault NAS a few days ago and have been playing with the storage settings. I'm currently in the process of transferring my media over for Plex. This is pretty neat.

Any recommendations on something 300 or less that can hold 4 3.5 HDDs and not make my power bill fucking skyrocket?

PowerEdge R710 LFF can be had for around that price or less. You are probably going to be paying around $10 a month in power depending on your kw/h price. You will need somewhere to put a rack sized server though.

Freaking love Alpine for my docker images, haven't thought to put it on a server. I'll have to try it.

Yeah, that's fine thanks for the recommendation. Any way to replace the fans with quieter ones?

Check out SmartOS.
>boots from USB or PXE
>runs entirely from RAM
>everything runs in Zones
>very config management friendly
>KVM support for running VMs

The R710 fans are pretty quiet after they spin down. I have a rack with 6 of them ()
in it across the room from me and it doesn't bother me at all when I have music going.

Apperently I posted the wrong picture with my second rack this morning, but the other one does have the R710s and a few Powervaults in it.

I just set up multi wan failover to LTE on my pfSense box. Feels good man.

I live in an apartment with a woman so I'd highly prefer a way to damp the sound.

could you use a rp3 as a plex server? or what would be the most power efficient way of making a plex server with 1 user 99% of the time.

Also have a RP3 what should I use it for?

I took a look at that, and I have played around with it. Seems like a cool project, but I am not sure it is the right tool for the job. I don't really need all of the features it offers, just something to manage a zPool and a NFS server. SmartOS seems overkill for that.
I don't think you would have a lot of success replacing the fans, you could build a box with some vents and foam filters for it, but at that point you would probably be better of re-purposing a traditional computer tower of some sort as a server. Something like an HP Z800 has server hardware in it, is pretty quiet, but also runs a bit more expensive.
Plex requires media transcoding, which is a little bit much for a raspi to handle. You could use the raspi for some neat things though, for example an IRC bouncer, DNS/DHCP server, basic webserver, home automation, or whatever.

second one is meant for

Yeah, SmartOS is overkill just for that, and iirc there are problems with serving NFS out of a Zone. OpenIndiana or Alpine Linux might be better for that.

Cam Peterson youre such a fag. stop it.

Terminal server and a gateway to access other stuff on my internal network. Probably going to install a 4 or 8 port serial card in and hang a bunch of dumb terminals/DOS boxes off of it in the future if I can get the software stack right.

Still need to see if wordgrinder, calcurse and taskwarrior will build on it without making me want to kill myself.

>wordgrinder
Why not just emacs/vim + Markdown?

I'd just like a semi-WYSIWYG environment that allows for some degree of basic formatting without having to rely on previewing or an external viewer. I guess there are probably extensions to traditional editors that accomplish this, but a separate application dedicated to that kind of use sounded more appealing to me.

I use Vim already, but never really for anything but programming or quick note taking.

I've been using my desktop as a gaming rig/workstation/media server, but I'm probably going to build a new one sometime in the next year and use my old one as just a server.
Anyone have any ideas for what I can do with it to put its power to good use beyond just as a media server?

Haven't seen this thing for years.

Eventually got one on flee market but it had dead mobo.

What's with the keyboard, looks like some old HP unix workstation?

tfw my Librebooted C2Q server is proving to be as useful as all the former iterations, may RMS bless my efforts.

Damn, that sucks. Surprised there's anything to fail on them, they seem pretty simple, though everything's so close together in them.
There's a guy on eBay right now selling a literal farm of x86 RaQs complete with boxes and documentation they had saved for each and every one of them for $30 each. I guess that's not really relevant to this post, but I thought it was pretty cool to think about. They were still running them all until just last year.
That's a pretty good guess, it's a 700/96 terminal.

Alcohol is generally considered the best dampening material against womanly nagging sounds.

Hsg I'm so happy, I finally bought a kvm switch for my 42U rack. Had to sell my thinkpad though. I think 8 port kvm switch goes well with my hp tft7600 rack monitor.

I kicked my homelabbing to a new gear after years of neglect.. feeling good

Maybe someone here will answer.
Recently i did set up a pfsense box with 3 vlans, messing around with the traffic shaper i realized after a while that a setup in where vlan 1 has priority over the rest but if vlan 1 is not using anything vlan 2 and 3 can use all the traffic is impossible. So i did setup some minimum bandwidth reserve for vlan 1. Is that the best it can be done for this case?

>hey mom i posted it again ;DDDddd

Someone who knows iptables would like to lend me a hand? I'm trying to understand something but I think I'm getting it wrong.

This what are the gold round things in OPs pic.

>Get a switch that supports LAG creation and use that.
I already have that. Do I still need to bond both ethernet ports on the server side?

Yes.

Page 9 anons. You're welcome.

host a minecraft server

I'm building a tiny cluster of 4 OPi' for networking shenanigans. Software recommendations?

Planning on getting mini ITX board with a soldered celeron, since I have a lot of ddr3 ram around, anybody rocking a similar setup?

southampton.ac.uk/~sjc/raspberrypi/pi_supercomputer_southampton.htm

Hey guys I just got vCenter, ESXi, etc through VMUG and was wondering if there's any like "should do" or best practices or things that are recommended when I set it up. Already connected it to AD for authentication.

How would you personally backup an existing mdadm array? Say you had 8 drives, would you just have two separate mdadm arrays? Raid0 seems stupid but I would still have the other array plus fuckhuge performance.

Delete vSpehere and install Xen or better yet forget about hyervisors and use containers. The future is now.

RAID is not a backup solution. RAID is fault tolerance so you dont have extended downtime when a drive fails. For backup, you should either be storing your data on an offsite cloud storage provider, or back up to your own physical media (tapes, bluerays, HDDs) and storing them in a different site.

I've got an Asrock J4205 powered by an AliExpress Pico PSU, 16GB of spare DDR3 sodimm, an SSD and 2* 8TB HDDS.
Idles at around 10W, maybe 20W running with both drives spinning.
I use it as a NAS, torrent machine, HTPC (supports 4K HEVC on hardware), and run around 15 Dockers for self hosted services and media automation.
Handles it like a dream, and passively cooled.

I know raid isn't a backup, but what about backing a raid onto another raid? How else do you pool multiple HDDs together to get the required space?

m8 I wish they made something like that with 8 sata ports. Server boards with SoCs are usually hopelessly overpriced so I'm hoping someone will target the Nas/datahoarder/autism market for once.

Can't run Windows Server in a container. Plus you still need a host for the containers to run in, so why not ESXi with native containers or via a Debian VM?

Dude, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. You arent even asking questions in a logical way. Are you looking to run two different RAID arrays and have them mirrored? Why would you want to do that? Have you read about RAID 10 or 50? That still is not a backup though, that's just fault tolerance plus some increased performance.
>how else do you pool HDDs
tar -clpMzvf /dev/sdX /$whatever
When you are making your backups

How else can you make 16tb+ pools of data without some kind of software raid? What I'm asking is how to best handle the backups of such large volumes and wether it's acceptable to backup a raid array onto another raid array.

From what I could understand he wants to have raid0 speeds while keeping redundancy. Sounds like raid10 to me which is basically a raid1 of 2 raid0 arrays.

why is this a general

You use RAID to create and manage large pools of data that need fault tolerance, WHILE MAINTAINING AVAILIBILITY. When you need to create a backup of said data, you should not be creating another RAID array to cold store it. You should be writing multi-part archives. That is more efficient both space and mean time to recovery.
that's what I thought too, which is why I mentioned it, but then he keeps blabbering about backups too.

What do you mean by backing an array into another? Do you want to replicate files between two hosts or volumes?

I might be finally moving into my own place soon and I'd like to have a home server to keep all of my media as digital files so I don't have books and Blu-ray disks wasting space in a studio or one-bedroom apartment. I also want it to double as an htpc so it can to play back anime on my TV in addition to streaming the chinese cartoons and music to other devices I own.

I'm not sure what distro or processor would be best since I don't want to spend a lot on the initial build. Currently I'm backing up my anime on a 3 terabyte external hard drive which I'm not close to filling up but those cute girl cartoons are going to keep piling up. I also want it to be a relay point for Syncthing since I use that too keep my notes and reaction images the same across multiple computers. This might be a problem for a headless server since I'm not aware of a good cli tool for Syncthing.

hard mode: I prefer something that I could easily tuck away somewhere and not make a lot of noise.

What's wrong with a raidz1 backed up onto a separate raidz1? Just run a periodic rsync to keep it up to date.

>discord
just end your miserable life you little bitch

that's a hotsite, not a backup. Not very cost effective for most buisnesses, much less a homelab.

What about separate machine for each raidz? Can be done fairly cheaply if all you're after is a loaf of storage.

I would highly reccomend you not do that, but you are clearly so massively autistic that nothing said here will change your mind. Go eat a dick.

How is that worse than just multipart archives spread over disks? There's no need to get upset my autistic friend.

Well, first off you are incurring the cost of purchasing a second set of hardware, and on top of that you are using network resources in order to duplicate data across the two devices which will invariably slow down other network transactions. All of that, and you still don't have a "backup", you just have more fault tolerance. Both machines are (presumably) still on the same site, meaning that any disaster will wipe out all of your data. Also, you really can only still survive two disk failures (one per array) before your data is unrecoverable. It is neither a sustainable or efficient model in any universe. Build a single array, with a high level of tolerance, like RAID Z3, and then cold store copies of said data off site if something goes horrifically wrong. Then read a book about disaster recovery, MTTR, and RTO and get your life in order.

for horizontal cases, perfe8ct for a little homeserver under a table.

I just built WordGrinder on amd64 OpenBSD 6.2. Other than "pkg_add ninja" the only thing you need is to tweak the makefile to use built in ncurses rather than fuck with pkg-config. I haven't messed with bootstrapping Lua yet.

So I've tried plex and I really don't like the entire concept of it being basically a paid service you have little control over.

Is there a foss plex?

I've tried to find the same thing, and at this point, I've given up, so my media server is literally just an FTP server.

I have a VM with OpenMediaVault, currently learning about it and Docker plugins, a bit of a learning curve if you don't know networking but so far so good I made it work

Emby

Has 4 ports and one PCI-E, so you can add a couple more with a SATA card.

Thanks for the tip, man.
I've just started building Ninja, please save me from this hell.

Yeah but it's only pcie 1x unfortunately and igve not had good experiences with those cheap sata hbas.

Do you use on the fly compression at all? Always wonder how a low power quad core would handle a couple of TBs of ZFS storage.

>Always wonder how a low power quad core would handle a couple of TBs of ZFS storage.
don't those expensive fucking qnap or synology boxes use 15w pentium quad core chips? the 12 bay models, I mean

Yeah and they're disgustingly overpriced. Plus I find them hard to compare to because muh proprietary OS etc.

isn't that a clone with exactly the same premium features

Ouch, that's going to take a while. Go get a coffee or something.

Having tried to spec out equivalent hardware, it's the chips themselves that are disgustingly overpriced. Intel shekel-grubbing is in full effect. Check out a Ryzen desktop APU.

No they get paid to do IT right, not save a few bucks. You are a buying a product with support, that is what you are getting. No one wants the fucking hot shot in the office even if you are king shit. They want tried and proven software and solutions.

Translation: management wants to spend money on software rather than people, scrape by with pajeets who know which end of the fork to use on a good day, and then lean on vendor support to do the actual work of disaster recovery when the pajeets or general Windows rot isues (so really another group of pajeets) ruin everything.

t. used to work in backup vendor support and saw this over and over again

Don't get me wrong, Veeam has its uses, but 99% of backup recoveries happen because people are retards, not true DR.