Red-pill me on systemd

I don't see the problem.

Other urls found in this thread:

skarnet.org/software/s6/systemd.html
cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20180218.iso
twitter.com/AnonBabble

fuck off

w h y

because you and your "LUL REDBILL ME xDDDD" shit is cancer and you should at least post in instead of making a new thread for this basic shit

Just try using it; not just having it on your system, but actively make use of the features. You'll quickly discover why people don't like it. It will run fine for a while, but then it will end up getting confused as to what services are running. It will start refusing to start things that are down, or stop services that are up. The only cure at this point is a reboot.

You try to reboot, only to be told that systemctl can't talk to init, so you have to use either sysreq (to force unmount, and reboot) or use systemctl reboot --force --force --force to do a dity reboot without unmounting.

SystemD is trying to do too many things at once

t. Cap'n O. G. Spergmore

>calls something cancer
>suggest using a general thread
maybe you are the cancer.

>You try to reboot, only to be told that systemctl can't talk to init, so you have to use either sysreq (to force unmount, and reboot) or use systemctl reboot --force --force --force to do a dity reboot without unmounting.
This, but for killing some kind of processes. The rest of your post is mostly bs though.

One big reason is that it is literally NOT just an init system and Poettering himself has even admitted to this.

So we're talking about a community here that doesn't really like to be _forced_ to do anything, and in this case they are not only being forced to switch some software, but they are being forced to completely abandon the concept of running just an init system. They are being forced into a new paradigm in which one does not simply run an init system but instead runs this totally re-imagined vision of the responsibilities of PID 1.
And all done without any real discussion or input from the community as a whole, but just because Redhat wanted it this way.

Then on top of all that the developers are kind of assholes to everyone who doesn't want exactly what they already want. They simply don't care about the community as a whole, only their customers and other users of gnome. They can, and they will load systemd up with any dependencies they want if they think it's a good idea for their subset of the community and will just throw the middle finger to the rest of us.

Furthermore, We are digging a pit for ourselves. Systemd was able to replace our old init systems almost overnight. Most people probably think that's a credit to systemd itself, but I say it is a credit to the "unix way". If our old software didn't follow the unix way then ironically systemd would not be able to exist today. We'd be _stuck_ with our old shit because it would be too deeply embedded and required by core system components to get rid of.
Well that's what systemd is doing to us now. In the future it will be incredibly complex and next to impossible to ever dethrone systemd (it's already next to impossible and we're just fucking getting started).
We are going to be stuck with systemd forever if we keep going down this road, so I hope the people who are in favor of it REALLY know what we're getting into and they aren't just going along with it because "lol it just works".

Don't listen to Cred Forums. SystemD is a great operating system.

There is no problem, the only ones bitching are freetard neckbeards who can't learn anything new anymore and cry out because people touched their toys.

Actual people don't really care, if anything, it's for the positive.

So you have no real argument then?

>people unironically advocate switching operating systems because they disagree philosophically with the bootstrapper
O i am laffin

>philosophically

skarnet.org/software/s6/systemd.html

>why everyone else is wrong and I'm the smartest: an essay

cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20180218.iso

>getting confused as to what services are running
>refusing to start things that are down, or stop services that are up

This is total bullshit. I've been actively using systemd for years, writing service files for my own daemons, and I've never seen any version of systemd exhibit these kinds of bugs.

not an argument

Werks on my machine.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

systemd only happened because Canonical's retarded licensing stifled development of Upstart. RH wanted an SMF-like init system, Poettering came with systemd and the damage was done

Which only happened because Apple's retarded licensing stifled adoption of LaunchD.

why do you want an argument? the thing you linked is just a bunch of name-calling and general cattiness

because he's Molyneux's bitch and says whatever his master says

>
>the thing you linked
different guy kek

well you showed me