HomePod

So I'm wondering if Apple opens this up maybe it's worth a buy.

Has anyone listened to one yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

techinsights.com/about-techinsights/overview/blog/apple-homepod-teardown/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yeah, I remember listening to a mono speaker back in the 70's.

> if Apple opens this up
Did Apple even say something like that, and why do you trust them? Marketing touts privacy, licenses say no privacy.

Shills want to tout that Apple hardware is sensibly priced somehow, common sense says something else entirely.

Like in this case. There is no fucking way this should be $216 in China.

> maybe it's worth a buy.
Even all that aside, why would it be? Did you really need a microphone listening to voice commands to turn on/off specially connected lights or some shit? Is this even better than using your smartphone or a switch?

Is it worth having marketing firms record and analyze everything you do in terms of sound 24/7?

>opens this up
why would they do that?
it's built specifically around locking people further into the walled garden of apple products

that's why they are willing to take such a hit on their margin
also, fucking why? there are a dearth of various speakers that can play whatever you want
what makes this dumb speaker any better than anything else on the market?
just get a google home mini/echo dot and hook it up to the proper set of speakers you should already own if you are interested in listening to music

No you don't.
'70s had awesome hifi.

Just get a Sonos one

I listened to one in the Apple store. It sounds good, but lacks a lot of midrange.

> pulling a Bose
Marketing mediocre product as being somehow superior solely based on muh brand recognition.
It probably sounds...fine. Nothing special, but ok enough for bgm.

>Is this even better than using your smartphone or a switch?

Yeah, I find it pretty useful with my Echo. I want another one for my living room and this would look better than setting up two bookshelf speakers with an Echo dot and wiring them up.

These are the only pods I need in my life.

>what makes this dumb speaker any better than anything else on the market?

Because it's actually supposed to be not a dumb speaker.

> Yeah, I find it pretty useful with my Echo.
What does it even do?

I think the maximum I found useful is to trigger a bunch of stuff when your smartphone is back in WLAN AP range - it's a fairly reliable signal that you're probably home if you use smartphones like most people do.

Never found any real advantage for voice commands.

Except that's actually what Google is doing...
Apple has surprisingly low margin here, 29% is actually - bad.

I can't imagine the shareholders will be happy with this report.
techinsights.com/about-techinsights/overview/blog/apple-homepod-teardown/
^ actual report, not some bullshit article about an article about the report.

I have to unlock my phone and open an app vs just saying a simple command. I even have manual switches for my ghetto smart home set up and I still find it easier to just say it hands free.

-High fidelity mono speaker.
-mono speaker
-mono

kill me pls. I'm sick of this word.

iTODDLERS BTFO

Where does it state it is mono?

>hmu senpai

Implying 99% of people, including YOU have their speakers set at a correct distance and angle for proper stereo imaging.
A mono loudspeaker is fine for 99.9% of people, including you.

Is it time again?

Retard probably thinks the woofer is the only speaker there

Reminder that Applel audio products are all churned out by Beats by Dr. Nigger.

Cred Forums is that way m8 ->

even if this is true, the fact that it requires another iDevice to interact with it using nonfree protocols, you can bet that apple priced in the value add shit like iTunes and sales of iPhones for this thing into the margin.

The actual state of /g

You could have this on the lock screen itself, or run voice recognition botnet style 24/7.

But the question is, what does the automation even handle?

The WLAN AP detection thing is decent enough to turn off lights, various electronics and AC, run robot vacuum cleaners, and set your smart window blinds to automatic climate control mode when you leave, and of course set everything to another sensible state when you come back (lights on, blinds in the living room up, robot vacuum -> parking if still cleaning)...

But I saw few interesting uses of voice commands, DESU.

Retard needs to learn some reading comprehension.

It might be fine for mono audio, but since 99% of audio is stereo it requires mixdown, so any pretense at audio quality is laughable.

Not your personal consumer review site.

Source?