/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly search engine, mailing lists...
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try protonmail or disroot

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Cred Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

gnome-look.org/p/1187179/
extensions.gnome.org/extension/55/media-player-indicator/
extensions.gnome.org/extension/365/transmission-daemon-indicator/
gentoo.org/support/use-flags/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Default_applications#XDG_standard
support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1164411#answer-978198
cdrtools.sourceforge.net/private/linux-dist.html
github.com/mattanger/ckb-next
bleepingcomputer.com/news/linux/ubuntu-gets-in-the-user-data-collection-business/
mobaxterm.mobatek.net/)
spacemacs.org/
github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs/releases
duckduckgo.com/?q=standard text editor&t=ffab&ia=web
lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2009/03/msg00780.html
askubuntu.com/questions/71332/kernel-panics-with-cannot-open-root-device-error-where-do-i-append-the-root
nurgo-software.com/products/aquasnap
suse.com/documentation/sled11/book_security/data/cha_start.html
youtube.com/watch?v=nvY1EWC9XJw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

maybe the ISO is corrupted?

Second for Xubuntu

and yes I changed the emails in the OP to not be fucking "Autistici"

I tried both netinstall and Live, I also tried the work-respin earlier and got the same error.

Supposedly the error is in my SSDs, but I just installed Debian on them with no issue

I also chose the "check ISO before installing Fedora 27" or whatever it was

Can QEMU do shared clipboard stuff without SPICE?

Still looking for a way to make the application menu display a programm i installed under the category "Graphics" rather than "Lost&Found" in the Plasma 5 Application Menu widget
Yes I already tried rightclicking the application menu settings. See Image
I don't know what the Desktop files are

>right click
>edit applications...
Come on now.

yeah, I got it.
Sorry

As much as I'd like to distance from Google unfortunately English isn't my first language so any search I do with those alternatives (not in English) only garbage and poorly related content pop-up.
How do?

Why the fuck won't the terminal emulator start when it's a fresh fucking Debian install?

Seems like quite a fucking problem since the Debian baby proofing won't let me log in as root in the graphical log in.

QUICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tomboy or gnote? which to use?
i've always liked tomboys, and i hate C++, so that's two marks for tomboy

debian's a pretty standard distro

I know that, but why is it malfunctioning straight out of the box?

Do you guys like my artwork?
{alias,nigger='{printf,'\''that'\'\\\'\''s%1sracist'\\'n'\''}'}

Time to fell for Gentoo meme.

>the terminal emulator
>fresh install
>graphical login
what does any of this even mean

I just finished my initial wave of tweaks and package installs for Debian Stretch. What are some things I shoud not live without?

Notepadqq

Hey g, Was wondering what DE or WM I should use for arch. I have Budgie right now but it seems to run too much off of Gnome. Was wondering what your favorite ones were.?

It's a brave new world, brother

I'd personally go with tried and true XFCE

i3 or openbox

You might try Awesome, i3, or dwm depending on your tastes.

i3

Breathing.

Too late, user. I was rushed to the nearest hospital, but their machines all ran Windows Vista, so I promptly killed myself via fatal exposure in the radiology lab.

And yet you left prism-break, and they recommend autistici for everything.

kek

I actually use GNOME on Arch, with the following tweaks:
>Matcha Gtk and Matcha-Dark shell themes
gnome-look.org/p/1187179/
>mpd (systemd/user service) + mpDris2 (starts automatically at login thanks to /etc/xdg/autostart/ file in "mpdris2" package) + Music Player Indicator shell extension
extensions.gnome.org/extension/55/media-player-indicator/
>Transmission daemon indicator shell extension pointed at my NAS/seedbox instead of localhost
extensions.gnome.org/extension/365/transmission-daemon-indicator/
>Termite instead of GNOME Terminal
("termite" package)

Oh, right, and I've got Topicons Plus running there, but who doesn't have that?

Gnome would still be a great DE if the devs were not so obsessed with making it so fucking featureless.

>so fucking featureless.
Tell me about it.

Cinnamon is literally the perfect DE. The devs just need to cut the apron strings and get rid of all the gnome deps.

>you need an extension do disable suspend on lid close
>you need an extension to change many of the keyboard shortcuts
>you need a separate control center to change the shell theme
>extensions break every update
I'm not hating on it. I always liked. I wish I could still use it.

Any chance I could get that wallpaper?

It fills me awe to see the Stallman evolve in his role as the most hallowed excellency st. Ignucius, here seen commanding the wildlife with the power of the muses, his holiness truly is beyond reproach.

I'm not hating either, to be honest. GNOME has always been my favorite, especially after GNOME 3 came out. Just wish there was a little more out-of-the-box customizability.
I liked Kali for that reason, it has some great customization options.

Redpill me on kubuntu

Includes proprietary software. KDE is good but I personally don't like it.

>Just wish there was a little more out-of-the-box customizability.
I mean, isn't that what extensions are for? You're given a Turing-complete scripting language in which to tweak the fuck out of the shell. The one thing I really think needs to be redone is moving GNOME Tweak Tool's functionality into an Advanced tab of the main Settings application. Fragmenting settings is fucking retarded, as we've seen in Windows >=8.

>Fragmenting settings is fucking retarded, as we've seen in Windows >=8.
YES. I don't think I'd have any complaints if they just consolidated their shit.

How the absolute cunt pissing fuck do I get debian to stop trying to open new links in fucking firefox? I dont want to use firefox for a single god damn thing and no matter how many config files I flip through setting them to my preferred browser, it *keeps fucking opening new firefox windows*
I've tried sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser and it's already set to my preferred, what the hell else can I try?

What the difference between /13/ and /17/?

>/13.0/ and /17.0/

Fixed

What DE are you using? Is $BROWSER set? Some environments override things like x-www-browser and have their own default handlers.

17 is more up to date and should generally be used in all cases.

I'm using DWM. I got frustrated and just "whereis firefox firefox-esr" and deleted every single path and bin file and it finally fucking defaulted correctly.
I'm pretty sure it's because I have gnome running in the background somewhere because I never got rid of it after installing debian and it was probably interfering with my defaults because it's an intrusive pile of shit.

>17 is more up to date and should generally be used in all cases.

Many thanks, user. :)

So, i don't need this, right? I won't use systemcrap.

I just select profile 19 (desktop/plasma stable).

Right, if you're using OpenRC you can skip it.

Alright apparently fuckin never mind, now it defaults to chrome. Is there something I'm fuckin missing here? Why is this being so fucktarded?

Thanks man!

What application are you trying to open links in? There's probably a config setting somewhere. Also check what /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser points to.

Trying to just vivaldi, I plan on switching to firefox quantum (it's faster and doesnt have the same tearing problems) but I'm waiting to get set up at my new place to pull all my configs off my desktop.

The very last line of x-www-browser is
exec -a "$0" "$HERE/vivaldi"-bin "$@"
Which I assume reflects my setting in update-alternatives, although that never seemed to do a damned thing

You aren't understanding what I'm asking. What application actually contains the links that you're clicking?

All of them. My DC++ client, IRC client, steam client, pdf embedded links, word embedded links, anything and everything opens in the wrong browser (except now that I've deleted every single other browser except the one I want them to)

Man, the USE flag is a pain in the ass to configure.

There are dozens, hundreds, thousands of options to set up.

gentoo.org/support/use-flags/

There are other alternatives links than x-www-browser. Check the value of gnome-www-browser, and the $BROWSER environment variable, and the GNOME settings application if you have that installed.

USE flags are the primary point of Gentoo. Why are you using it if you didn't want to delve into that pile of autism?

>This OS has me compile every single package from scratch tailored to my needs
>Why do I have to spend so much time configuring it
tickling my pickle

I want to switch to Linux. I don’t really have any experience outside of windows but I am not a complete newbie either. I am mostly interested in simplicity and security, and I read that Alpine Linux is good for those attributes.

Is Alpine Linux a good choice for simple security? Does anyone have any experience with Alpine Linux?

You don't have to list ALL USE flags in /etc/portage/make.conf. Just the ones that you definitely want to have if they're available.
Use /etc/portage/package.use for specifying how you much functionality you want in your software.
Also most, if not all, USE flags are self-explanatory.

Alpine Linux doesn't use the same C library as most other Linux distros so third party Linux binaries generally won't work. Just use Ubuntu as your first distro like most people.

I have used Ubuntu before, and I did not really like it. It was very hard to try to update firefox (I was trying to download from google drive and it wasn’t working). I eventually gave up and just used google chrome, but even then some of the files I was trying to download from google drive were invisible (ebook files mostly chm).

I understand that there is a learning curve with Linux distros and that you need to find all new programs. But isn’t finding suitable replacement programs all I really need to worry about? All I really need are programs to burn CDs/DVDs, convert audio and video, a media player, a torrent application, and an ebook reader.

Welcome to Gentoo, enjoy your stay.

But he isn't like most people, he's a special snowflake!

Is the boot partition necessary?

This is supposed to be the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. Maybe you should start an Unfriendly GNU/Linux Thread.

I would just call it 'Unfriendly Linux Thread'.

You're a nice person. Thanks!

Yes, if you want to boot your system....duh

My problem with Ubuntu is that is comes with lots of programs that are normally used with windows, but they can’t be updated. Even if you took the time to delete them and get new ones, if you ever had to reinstall Ubuntu, it would have all of this semi-functional crap on it. I would rather spend more time finding programs for an obscure bare-bones operating system...unless there are other issues besides just finding new programs.

Red Hat's remote-viewer went from 200M to 1600M memory in 7 hours

why the fuck will my hard drive randomly decide to not spin down when running on battery with laptop_mode, even though other times it works fine

You don't know what you're doing, and it's not going to get easier anywhere else. If a package is out of date, remove it and install upstream binaries or from flatpake or from a PPA or build from source. This is not a problem that goes away with any distro.
> if you ever had to reinstall Ubuntu, it would have all of this semi-functional crap on it.
This isn't Windows, spacky.

FUCK LINUX FUCK THIS SHIT PIECE OF CRAP!!!

I'M DONE!

>use a proprietary driver module
>under a proprietary hypervisor
>HURRR Y IT NO WORKY

so bad that kde made neon

cp /usr/share/applications/programm.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/
nano ~/.local/share/applications/programm.desktop
Category=Graphics

you'd know if you could see the output in a terminal emulator :^)

weston
i3

ob is flexible but you'd have to set it up
i3 is pretty much ready ootb

do you use gnome wayland? do you have radeon? does it make mpv playback micro stutter? is nautilus slow to open folders(as if it caches the files for the first time)?

it is [if you know js]
it has a nice dev pop up console and shieet

~/.config/mimeapps.list
x-scheme-handler/http=userapp-Firefox-desu.desktop

change the http related entries to your browser under [Default Applications]
debian may use another file
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Default_applications#XDG_standard
btw you don't have to use the ff provided by debian
support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1164411#answer-978198

>programs to burn CDs/DVDs,
it is only one - cdrtools, and a few guis
cdrtools.sourceforge.net/private/linux-dist.html
i think you still have to use a ppa if you don't want your cd ruined by the broken debian fork that is preinstalled
the rest is ffmpeg shotcut mpv transmission mupdf

So I updated my Fedora 27 like it's been begging me for a week, requires restart, when it starts back up all I have is a black screen with a blinking cursor, nothing else! I can select other kernel versions, only one of which still works. Rescue mode doesn't boot either. Any idea whats going on?

ask fedora irc

>laptop_mode_tools
>Not using tlp and tlp-rdw

Because VirtualBox vga emulator is a garbage.

>su password is strong
>sudo password is not because I don't want to type a strong password 50,000 times every day

What is the solution to this?

Use strong sudo password and use sudo -i for interactive root shells if you're going to be doing a lot of shit elevated.

>su password is strong
You mean the root password is strong. su is a utility to Switch Users. You can su to any user.
>sudo password is not
You mean your password. Sudo is a utility to run software as other users (Switch Users DO: "command"). You can sudo any user.

Any idea how I could go about mass-renaming these files?
Currently they're named
>Copy of Hunter.X.Hunter.-.001.[SUB.1080p.BluRay.x264].[DHD].mkv
But I need to remove the bullshit so it looks something like
>Hunter X Hunter 001

Test before executing.
#!/bin/bash

for OLD in ./*; do
NEW="$(echo $OLD | sed -e 's/\./ /g' | awk '{print $3, $4, $5, $6, $7}').mkv";
mv $OLD $NEW;
done

exit 0;

There probably is a very friendly gui software that can do that with easy. You just had to search "gnu linux mass renamer" or something like that.

I wish I was dead. I don't want to click on car pictures anymore.

thanks for explaining the obvious

You are welcome.

Thankyou! I'm sure there are plenty of gui tools but this is a headless server

Did you test it before thanking me?

I have to sleep. I'm going to assume it worked.

Hey guys, I seem to have a unique problem. I am dual booting linux on a laptop, but every time I boot into any distro, my USB mouse doesn't work and my trackpad starts acting retarded. Any idea why?

Relevant info
Corsair Glaive RGB mouse
Asus ROG GL503 Laptop
Have tried on Mint, Kubuntu, Ubuntu, and Antergos (Would prefer antergos because my friend and I are using it together)
I have been putting it on my ssd, which isn't very large.

Which of these would cause the issue?

I would prefer to have a "No Retards Linux Thread".

Its a thing with the mouse you need to install a driver sadly.

github.com/mattanger/ckb-next

What about the trackpad? Just more driver shit?

>play 0ad at highest settings
>24fps
>switch everything to the lowest possible
>24fps
o-okay...

C I N E M A T I C

>"I don’t really have any experience outside of windows"
>wants to install Alpine
never go full retard

going right to the deep end is one thing, but going straight to alpine is like going to a different pool altogether
alpine is not a gnu/linux distro, it uses musl libc and busybox instead of gnu libc and bash, if you don't know what that means or what it affects, you really shouldn't be looking at alpine

Hey mates, I've been avoiding GNOME because of the lag I get in the app menu. At the time I really wanted fix it, trying multiple solutions to see it fail.

I really want to move to GNOME now, how do I fix the lag?

>root password
you don't have to use the root one but the one for the user you're switching to

what's your pc?
maybe disable animation
enable gdm auto login to save some ram

Hey guys, new to Linux and all that shit.
Had too many problems with Windows fucking me over on a constant basis and got Ubuntu working in dual-boot for my main computer.

Decided I'd move all my images and mp3 files to another old laptop I have that is also running ubuntu and get it all set up to transfer files between the two when need be.

Is there any specific shit you guys would recommend to get this going smoothly, and is there any preferred way to pull files from the linux partitions when in Windows?

Sorry if I'm an annoying cunt, don't really lurk /fglt/ and thought I'd give it a try asking.

bleepingcomputer.com/news/linux/ubuntu-gets-in-the-user-data-collection-business/

ubuntu apologists btfo

So I upgraded my Debian unstable desktop today, haven't updated it for a week maybe. All of the sudden the internet doesn't work. Not wired connection nor wireless. When I bring up my network settings it just says "the system network services are not compatible with this version." I tried starting the network manager manually
service network-manager start
but that does nothing. I know I should've read the update notes before just pressing y, but please I really want to save this machine, it's my main one and reinstalling now would be a pain such a pain considering that this desktop is my main computer. I only have a laptop that I have to connect via my phone now.

What is your fortune today, user?

fortune is bloat

Why are you still using "service x start"? Use systemctl and stop using those shitty symlinks or abstractions.

A really convenient way to move the files around is to use MobaXTerm (freeware, mobaxterm.mobatek.net/) and use SCP/rsync.

Use MPV as a video player and tune the system to fit your use case. You should be prepared to google any errors you get, chances are tens of people already faced and resolved the same issues.

I recommend learning the basic bash commands and try to spend an hour every day learning a part of the system. Over time this will help you a lot.

Welcome to the other side, we're here to help if you need us.

Please don't hack us hackerman.

how would I go about doing it in symlinks. I got the service command from someone who had a similar issue on Ubuntu.

I meant that "service" might just be a symlink to systemctl.
That's why you never use shitty old solutions. But more importantly, that's why you inform yourself about the things you do and not just blindly copy paste instructions. Read logs, that's going to tell you why it doesn't work.

I really like Emacs, but its bloated as fuck. Is there any stripped down version with decent support? (last version of MicroEmacs is from 2009)

Gnome by chance?
Unironically try a different desktop environment if you're convinced the results are not representative of your hardware. Gnome has some problems related to fullscreen applications like videogames.

mg

Yes I know I was being a fucking idiot for just pressing y when I should've read the bug report. But I manage to fix it, just had to manually install gnome network manager and all of if's dependence.

ifconfig eth0 up
dhclient eth0

Now you should have working wired ethernet, do a dist-upgrade.
note: replace eth0 with the """"""""""""""""""""""predictable""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" interface name if you have those.
If you don't have ifconfig (that's the latest systemd based distro thing) use busybox as a replacement
busybox ifconfig eth0 up

My pihole VM werks great but reboots take like two minutes because it's waiting for network even though I have assigned static IPs. Is there something wrong with /etc/interfaces?

Cheers man, will look into it!
Right now I just got SSH working between the two and made the keys. Gonna start testing some files so I can weed out some faults before I load everything up on the 'server'. If google doesn't help me with any problems, I'll try here as a last resort.

Other side is already looking great.

Is `more` less or `less` more?

Any recommendations on a decent laptop I can get that will allow me to learn Linux while also using Windows?

spacemacs.org/
github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs/releases - 25 days ago

Thanks, friend

Wait, I thought that Spacemacs is just a bunch of extensions _on top_ of Emacs.

thank you, but I managed to fix it but if a similar issue appears I'll try that.

duckduckgo.com/?q=standard text editor&t=ffab&ia=web
What did they mean?

This looks cool, but how much of it is customizable? I think it's written in C, not Lisp.

>I think it's written in C, not Lisp.
Well you need to make up your mind then. Normal GNU Emacs is essentialy an elisp interpreter disguised as a text editor. You're giving up your computer resources for it's endless customizability.
It's various spinoffs are not.
If you hope to get GNU Emacs but without the retarded bloat you're out of luck buddy, might as well switch to vi now.

If startup time bothers you look up emacs daemon/server and clients. They're cool as fuark if you have a work machine you never shutdown since it allows you to keep endless lists of buffers pretty much forever.

ed was a text editor created with teleprinter in mind.

>that's the latest systemd based distro thing
Deprecating ifconfig (net-tools package) has nothing to do with systemd, you absolute retard. But you wouldn't know that, since you're a retarded myth spreader who lacks even the basic knowledge about the topics he's discussing.

Read this for one reason:
lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2009/03/msg00780.html
Then figure out to use your package manager. Then look up the package that provides "ip". Then look at the upstream URL. Then see where it's pointing to and who's developing it. Then buy a gun and shoot yourself. Unfortunately I doubt you'll get that far, you'll most likely fail at the first step, using a package manager due to your retardation.

Thank you for your absolutely intelligent input nigger (friendly thread my ass)
If you have nothing else to say in a 400 character post but "retard" and "kill yourself" then either fuck off back to or protect the environment by not using your keyboard for no reason.

>If you hope to get GNU Emacs but without the retarded bloat you're out of luck buddy
I just want to use Emacs _only_ as a text-editor, without useless shit like Emacs Doctor or stupid games. Seriously, who thought it was a good idea? Do one thing and do it well my ass.

>Do one thing and do it well my ass.
What the fuck are you talking about?
I don't think there's a single piece of GNU software that conforms to the Unix philosophy (do one thing and do it well) with Emacs being the prime example of it.

>I just want to use Emacs _only_ as a text-editor, without useless shit like Emacs Doctor or stupid games. Seriously, who thought it was a good idea?
Make up your fucking mind, youre contradicting yourself every time you post a reply.

>I just want to use Emacs _only_ as a text-editor,
mg

>no input
>showing a retard (obviously you) how he got even the most basic thing wrong
Are you just angry because you cannot handle being exposed as an idiot who is talking (superficial) bullshit on a technology focused forum, thinking no one will expose his retardation and call him out on it?

>Make up your fucking mind, you're contradicting yourself every time you post a reply.

How am I contradicting myself? I asked for stripped-down Emacs because I'm only interested in text-editing.
One thing that I didn't mention in the first post (but added later) is that I want to customize it _in that respect_. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation. It's really hard for me to believe that no-one thought of removing stuff from Emacs that is not related to text-editing over the years.

mg looks cool, I will give it a try.

welcome to Cred Forums, you must be new here? ;) they can't stand being called out on their own bullshit. I find over and over again there's people that think they know linux, even have it installed and use it, but would have no idea how to use bash! this is the level of some people here that we end up seeing endless shitposts from. even google is too hard to use for them.

> literally
sick of people using 'literally' in a sentence. learn english or start speaking another language. english is obviously is too good for you. let me guess, you're american?

>Cinnamon is literally the perfect DE
it's quite horrible. maybe give other desktop environments a go?

Are there any books worth reading on being an arch user or should I just check the wiki when a problem appears?

Arch wiki + man pages and you should be good to go.

But read about whatever tool you're using when you start using it, not when a problem appears.

What is the main factor in a file transfer over USB 3.0 lagging like fuck? I'm on Fedora KDE 27 and it's a i3-3110 with 4GB DDR3 RAM and Intel "GPU".
Is there anything I can do to make it smoother?
Is it KDE's fault? (KDE is shit smooth otherwise)

Read speed of the drive being copied from. Write speed of the device being copied to.

The CPU goes up like 25% across all cores though

>What is the main factor in a file transfer over USB 3.0 lagging like fuck?
The filesystem of the removable pendrive.
fat32, exfat and ntfs (realistically the only filesystems with enough compatibility to be used on another operating systems) do not have a native kernel driver. For technical and licensing/patent reasons they all use abominatiosn like fuse which offer dogshit performance and there's pretty much nothing that can be done about it.

Your choice is either use ext2/ext4 for large external storages and just giving up on the possiblity of using it on other operating systems without 3rd party software or using fat32 and god forbid you trying to copy files larger than 1G.

Both drives are ext4. I'm thinking the i3 is literal ass.

what are the speeds though? Are you getting better transfer speeds on other operating systems? What speeds is the device rated for? Have you tried using some software measuring transfer speeds?

I don't really have anything to compare to, because this is the only USB 3.0 hardware I have, but it's pretty fucking, like a 3GB file transfers in like 20 seconds.
Haven't tried other OSs.
I just wondered if there was a way to stop this shit from lagging.

Actually XFCE...

No idea then. I don't play videogames.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

/fglt/ I have a rather weird question.
I'm looking to design a hardware unit that displays text on a screen. Basically, you attach it to the system bus (AXI4 in my case), then you can write characters to it and it emulates a framebuffer containing an image of the text currently stored in its text buffer. I am now wondering how I would best design such a unit in order to be able to integrate it into linux. What I'm looking to end up with is basically something that displays the output of a tty, but doesn't have to care about where the input comes from. I have been reading about tty drivers but it seems that is still one level above what I'm trying to do as I am not looking to implement any tty functionality, just provide an output sink for a terminal. Can anyone give me a pointer?

askubuntu.com/questions/71332/kernel-panics-with-cannot-open-root-device-error-where-do-i-append-the-root

Make sure NetworkManager isn't running.

Hello anons, I have a question if you don´t mind. As I posted in I'm trying to improve my iptables rules about toorrenting with RELATED so I can use all ports but not openning them always. Am I in the good way?

When I got this I just boot the previous kernel lel It used to be because I installed /boot/ with not enough space.

i'd look it up online if i knew how to consolidate my issue into one coherent sentence, but here i am... i'm mostly enjoying GNOME, but there's one thing that pisses me off and i have no idea how to even start fixing it.

say i have two windows side by side such as Firefox on the left and VScode on the right using Win/Cmd + left/right (pic related). i then want to bring another window into foreground, such as file explorer, on top of Firefox, and be able to use VScode while the file explorer stays on top of Firefox. what happens instead, is as soon as i click on VScode, Firefox automatically gets returned into foreground, hiding the file explorer completely.

i like the fact resizing one window resizes the other one accordingly, but i don't agree that the two windows should be treated as one, meaning any other windows which are not tiled in such a way are sent to back.

if anyone knows what the hell i'm talking about pls halp 2 fix, preferably in a way that doesn't require replacing GNOME completely.

You want to disable "click to raise" behavior. IIRC GNOME Tweak Tool can do that.

Can I just remove it? Always thought it is required for general network connectivity.

It's just a convenience thing on servers and can be disabled. Make sure nothing in PiHole's UI is using NetworkManager for status checks, though.

tried all the options but none of them seem to make a difference to this particular issue. thanks for the suggestion though.

I want to go back to Windows but I seem to be having some problems creating the bootable USB.

How exactly do I format an USB to FAT32 in Ubuntu? And also, why the fuck does Rufus doesn't recognize my USB?

You don't. You're here forever.

mkfs.fat /dev/sdXX
where sdXX is the partition label you want to format as FAT32.

lsblk to get the list of devices

if you're switching to Ubuntu (good and intelligent move), you better get used to googling for easy shit like that
not even gonna spoonfeed you because you can google that search term and it will give you the answer
and this is why retards never even learn about ubuntu or linux, because faggots like you spoonfeed them and they're never incentivised to learn a fucking thing on their own initiative

he wants to go back to windows you insufferable cunt.

then hes in the wrong board you fucking twat

What distro should I choose?

1. Debian has old packages
2. Ubuntu shoves Amazon down your throat
3. Arch is too difficult
4. Manjaro feels slow even with XFCE

What is left?

Fedora

>What distro should I choose?
It actually doesn't fucking matter and you have to be an idiot to believe otherwise. Pick the one that suits your needs most and stick with it.
Debian stable is a good starter and considering the history of it it technically should stay a fine choice for the next 20 years.

Maybe check tilling extensions for gnome with a behavior more to your liking.

That's not what RELATED is for. When you open an outgoing connection to a server, your client sends an ephemeral port number to which the server is supposed to send its reply. The incoming ephemeral port connection is RELATED. The port number you get for other peers on a torrent swarm doesn't come from any information a firewall can reasonably be expected to inspect.

Bittorrent can't have outgoing port restrictions, or at least shouldn't if you care about maximizing performance. What you probably want to do is run the torrent client as its own user and create -m owner rules to limit outgoing traffic from other programs.

You can use debian testing. I use stable and it just werks.

Already googled it a shitton, but every time I try to boot the USB, it says it's not in the correct format. Already tried FAT and NTFS. Currently using YUMI to install the .iso in the USB.

>ubuntu shoves amazon down your throat
Are you planning to use stock 12.04?

i made the switch back to windows

good goy

user NOOOOOOO!1!!!!one

pajeets now have your personal information/banking passwords

>Bittorrent can't have outgoing port restrictions, or at least shouldn't if you care about maximizing performance. What you probably want to do is run the torrent client as its own user and create -m owner rules to limit outgoing traffic from other programs.
Thank you, I understand it a little better. That's why I couldn't find any information to my issue, because I was getting it wrong.

Right now, my rule looks like this for the listening port of my torrent client:
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport PORT -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport PORT -j ACCEPT

I'm blocking myself a bunch of ports because I noticed it improves performance when I clear the rules. What I should be dooing (beside you said in your reply) to not block myself out? Thank you user.

I'd just use UART over USB and an arduino or similar microcontroller

Not enough context to say. If you're blocking all outgoing connections by default, you would want a rule like
-A OUTPUT -m owner --uid-owner torrent -j ACCEPT
Where 'torrent' is the name of the user running your BT client. I wouldn't exclude UDP connections unless you're absolutely sure you'll never use DHT.

Install Crux

See

Hm. I can give you some context then. I already has all policies with DROP, so I'm trying to open only the ones I need. With that in mind, I don't want to open ALL ports a torrent can use, but the ones a torrent will require. That's why (before you taught me) I was searching for the related option.

Is there a Linux equivalent to pic related? It was my favorite thing I could do on Windows.
It's from AquaSnap, some premiumware I shelled cash for because it was better than the default - nurgo-software.com/products/aquasnap

System details: Currently running GNOME 3.22.3 on Debian Stretch

Why the fuck would you ever want that?

Making specific windows stay on top from time to time has plenty of uses, especially with what I do.

> I already has all policies with DROP, so I'm trying to open only the ones I need.
I think you need to do a lot more research before you can run a configuration like that without inadvertently hamstringing yourself.
> I don't want to open ALL ports a torrent can use, but the ones a torrent will require.
Since almost every torrent program can be set up to use random ports over an arbitrary range, the correct answer is "Literally all of them." At minimum 6881-6889 plus 49152-65535 would cover peers configured according to best practices. From a security standpoint, Bittorrent already opens up so much two-way traffic that limiting its outgoing port selection is pointless. Anyone who wants to open a connection to a botnet controller is just going to use one of the ~15k ports you already need open.

right click >> keep on top

>the correct answer is "Literally all of them
Yeah, that's what I thought. Therefore, I was searching some kind of rule like the previous we discussed to let the torrent but only the torrent connect to where he needs. Seems like maybe closing all and running the user based rule would be my best approach. Am I wrong?

Aw fuck, forgot about that. Thanks.

I'm having an issue with pulseaudio since a few days. Everytime a new sink input connects (web browser, video player, etc), I'm hearing a short crackling. What can I do to investigate and fix this? All I can find are threads with generic crackling issues, but my issue only occurs for a fraction of a sec. I'm on Arch and this started happening since a few days after I upgraded to the latest kernel, I think. This happens on both my desktop and notebook, running different DEs on Arch.
>inb4 uninstall pulseaudio

That and put your torrent client in a sandbox or set up some mandatory access control rules for it.

>or set up some mandatory access control rules for it.
Like strong user and password? Or do you suggest something different? I'm used to mess around with LXC so making a new container shouldn't be any issue.

in kde5 on debian 10, receiving an error notification (e.g. failure to mount) drives my notification volume up to maximum, while everything else stays the same, and the only way to fix it is globally reduce the volume and then change application volumes relatively
any idea how to keep this from happening?

I deleted ~/.config/pulse, restarted and the issue seems to have disappeared...

Mandatory access control would be like SELinux or App Armor rules so it can't do things outside its little area. LXC will also work.

How would you personally backup an existing mdadm array? Say you had 8 drives, would you just have two separate mdadm arrays? Raid0 seems stupid but I would still have the other array plus fuckhuge performance.

Thank you again user, I thought for a while on isolating torrents as I isolate the web server, and I think you gave me the final push. I shouldn't need an excesive control if I have the client into a container.

Hi m80s.

I installed Linux Mint over a week ago, because of Windows messed up system of shutting off, broke it, then deleted linux, windows was still broke, deleted windows and reinstalled it from scratch. But thats on my main drive.

My secondary drive (2 raided HDD, 1tb, 500gb each) was another victim of my installing of linux, never worked on Linux, doesn't work now on my fresh install of Windows.

When I try to boot into Linux Mint live CD, it tells me that I should boot fix my drive (which I can't, or don't know how) or mount it as Read only.

I intend on doing the latter, in order to back it up, format it, get rid of the shitty useless raid, install Linux mint in one of them and format the other one in NTFS to use it as my secondary drive for windows...

Well, how do I boot into Linux Mint Live USB with my /sdb1 and /sdb2 into read only? Or in windows? I don't care, the only thing i want is to back it up and get over with this over a week long nightmare

tldr: how do I mount a corrupted internal hard drive into read only state in a Linux Mint live usb (or any other live SO or Windws for that matter) in order to back up the data

note: my drive is not in a software raid, it's in 2 specific SATA ports for making it raid that ASUS dedicated in the motherboard.

>inb4 reddit spacing
If i had a reddit account I'd ask those fags which usally are more helpful to newbies than smug 4channers, i just wanted to make it more readable.

Which email client do you guys use? I used to use thunderbird but was wondering if there is anything better.

mount -o ro /dev/sdx

That's mounting as read only.

crackling has come back... I'm so fucking angry

I've already asked this and haven't been given a real answer. Why compiling from source makes programs faster (e.g. Gentoo)? What is the real reason? Different instructions sets of CPUs?

when a dev releases a binary of a program, they typically compile in support for all features and compatibility so as to work on the largest amount of machines possible without trouble
if you're compiling it yourself, when you build it you can pass flags to exclude certain things or to take advantage of special features of your hardware, i.e. if a program by default contains pulseaudio support, but you don't use pulseaudio, you can tell it to not compile the pulseaudio related code. on the other hand, if, for example, you have a fast graphics card, and the software doesn't do hardware acceleration by default, if it's available you could tell it to build hardware acceleration support
the actual gains will vary pretty widely by package, and the largest thing you'll likely gain is smaller binaries, but again it all depends on what package you're compiling, and of course if you compile a package with the default options there won't be a difference from the prebuilt binary
the area where you'll likely see the most gains is in configuring and compiling your own kernel

That one was helpful, thanks senpai

anyone know good timeline creation software to link with emacs?

Do you have libinput installed? IIRC, this is what fixed mine. If that doesn't fix it try xf86-input-libinput.

Org-mode can probably do that. Org-mode is magical.

>Install Crux
Best in thread.

Currently in Linux Mint safeboot mode, because the drive wasn-t letting me boot in normal mode, i can see it in the file manager program, but cannot mount it...

Any music players that come close to the functionality of MusicBee? Most important features to me are being able to download tagging info + album art from the internet, and being able to organise my music directory automatically by tags
(using musicbee in wine is too buggy to be tolerable, otherwise i'd just do that)

Most graphical players will auto-download album art. Hell, even mpd clients like Cantata can. Downloading tagging information for ripping is a function of the ripping program's CDDB integration. I know brasero (GNOME default) and K3b (KDE default) are both good at that.

I have no idea how to solve your problem but never dl DHD if there are any alternatives.

I don't know if you're still there user, but I think I'm discaring isloating it atm. I need to mount a HDD and since I have to do some tweaks I end giving up some security measures for the sake of the container. So, following next line from Deluge page:
For security it is best to run a service with a specific user and group. You can create one using the following command:
sudo adduser --system --gecos "Deluge Service" --disabled-password --group --home /var/lib/deluge deluge
This creates a new system user and group named deluge with no login access and home directory: /var/lib/deluge
I think I will be pretty okay. Thank you once again for all you helped me to learn.

If you really care about security you should use additional security layer.
Remember that default umask will allow this user to read your files.
I personally use and like apparmor.

I know next to nothing about apparmor and selinux because them seem infinite. I gave a look to apparmor on debian and seem like I have to download profiles or something like that. Should I really mess around with AppArmor if I can't configure it properly?

You could also run it in a VM, whitelist outbound connections from the VM's source IP, and use the neat 9P functionality in libvirt to mount a directory on the VMhost system as a directory inside the VM, and then use that for storage.

Apparmor is turbo easy.
Literally run # aa-genprof $application
Then run application, go back to root terminat, hit s (scan for events) and allow things that application need then repeat while app will work propertly.
Then you can manually tune profiles, they are in /etc/apparmor.d

You exploded my head, user.

So it would be like aa'genprof Torrent
Then ./Torrent and scan the results form terminal?

If you have torrent in non standard path (you wrote ./) you probably jave to provide full path to executae.
Also suse.com/documentation/sled11/book_security/data/cha_start.html

>If you have torrent in non standard path
Nah I was trying to avoid particular examples. Actually as you could see I will be using deluge with the deluge user.

Is this stallman speaking here youtube.com/watch?v=nvY1EWC9XJw
?

alright, im fed up with systemd.
Im ready to fall for the install gentoo meme.
However, i do not want to use genkernel, as it defeats the purpose.
Where do I begin to read what kernel modules I need for specific hardware, e.g. a t420?

Yes. If I remember correctly the speeches are from the movie Revolution OS. Check the pasta link in OP for a link to the movie and other RMS speeches.

opinions on Manjaro?

Slackware is the answer

Which solution is easiest/cheapest to go beyond 1gbit Ethernet? Imdont know shit about midnight or sfp and whatever else there is. Cable length should be ~20m long too.

Includes non-free software.

There is nothing on your network that would benefit from having 10gbit throughput. Even if you're streaming multiple 4k titles simultaneously , you wont be reaching the throughput of 1gbit

Also, the cost of setting up a 10gbit network is astronomical

Two 1gbit Ethernets.

Hello /fglt/ !

My MSata SSD just arrived today.
I'm planing to stick with Win7 in one partition and try a loonix distro in another.

What's a good distro to play with it?
I want something light, basic, then gonna add some shit to it.

How's Arch (or Antergos) for a newbie?

When building our kernel, consider the following.

Processor (name, model, type)
Hard drive (type, capacity)
Network card (ethernet, wireless)
Internet connection (dial-up, DSL/cable, WiFi)
Input devices (keyboard, mouse, Wacom)
Video card
Sound card
Monitor
Printer
Other peripherals and devices (Mic, camera, etc.)

use. commands to find the info for each, enable the module. If its not obvious, look on gentoo wiki.

ᖩȫNJinʒŦʒʓʔʞŧNjăŨăüNjăNjɗ846546768456794876458974896679876643sdmngvjerhigegenhuihy%^&%^&(^$%$%$^%$^&*^&$^#^ƒ├≈°
≈[\]ƒ#FM»/èfgbegirhgregiuhirhuj5uY^T^&GUHF%&GF&F&GBII

so?

It violates your freedoms.

>It violates your autism.
FTFY, Richard.

but according to Stallman literally everything other than a few obscure distros are non-free
it's a bit too autistic

Parabola and Trisquel are just rebrands for Arch and Ubuntu. Everything works the same.

You don't need to agree with him about everything. And the fact that the FSF doesn't endorse a distribution doesn't mean you can't safely use it.

Debian includes only free software and has a non-free repo that you don't need to enable.
Fedora also includes only free software but makes non free firmwares available, just don't install them. I think CentOS is in the same situation.

>freedom is restricting your personal computer habits because a communist jew told you to respect licenses

>I'm an uneducated american teenager that screams communism at everything he doesn't like or understand

Free software allows you to do anything with your computer. Proprietary doesn't. Proprietary software restricts your "computer habits".

>Parabola and Trisquel
that's not how you spell Hyperbola

Just use Xubuntu. Anything much lighter than that starts cutting out things newbies might want.

Newbies to what?

Is there any reason to use St over urxvt?

uses less mem and you don't have to deal with Xresources nonsense

/newtolinux/ here
Is there any easy way to play audio files out of a server without having to go into the terminal each time? Got my speakers plugged into it and sometimes just wanna boot up the server and play shit through there quick and easy without relying on the terminal too much to SSH in and get each file.

isn't that was mpd is for?

mdp + ncmpcpp

Gonna check again the LXC sharing HDD option since I'm a derp and the iptables rules I wanted to use it wasn't designed for the purpose I wanted to use. Sorry for changing too much, and thank you once again.

is virtual box safe? or is it gonna sell my data to nsa?

Unless you code it your self, there is no real way to know

I was thinking about getting a vpn subscription and running a lubuntu vm on my windows 10

>windows 10
You're already deep in the botnet.

>vpn
Get a cheap vpn and setup a proper openvpn tunnel for your self.

*cheap VPS