/glmg/ - GNU/Linux Minimalism General

This is a general for discussing software minimalism and minimal software for GNU/Linux.

>What is software minimalism?
en.wikipedia .org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

>Why software minimalism?
- Fewer bugs
- Better performance
- Lower memory footprint
- Better maintainability
- Higher scalability
- Longer software lifetime
- Prompt delivery
- Smaller attack surface

Acceptable GNU/Linux distributions that aren't bloat

>Alpine Linux (Not GNU)
alpinelinux.org

>Void Linux
voidlinux.eu

>GNU GuixSD
gnu.org/software/guix/

>Gentoo
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Main_Page
gentoo.org/downloads/

>Slackware
slackware.com/getslack/

>CRUX Linux
crux .nu/
crux .nu/Main/Handbook3-3

>Devuan (Stable is horribly outdated, so be sure to switch to a newer branch. There's also Debian if you want Poetteringd)
devuan.org/
devuan.org/os/releases
devuan.org/os/etc/apt/sources.list
wiki.debian.org/ReduceDebian
devuan.org/os/documentation/dev1fanboy/upgrade-to-ascii

>Useful links
suckless.org/rocks
harmful.cat-v.org/software/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers

>Pastebins
Alternative to Bloatware v1.2 pastebin.com/9NtiV5MB
Pure ALSA pastebin.com/yKhgKt8r

Protip: If you aren't comfortable with the terminal or aren't proficient with GNU/Linux, this thread isn't for you.

Other urls found in this thread:

git.suckless.org/st
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i fkcing love arch linux

Cool! not going to add it to list, but i'm glad you found a distro that makes you happy ^.^

Also heres the WM ram comparison

careful with that devuan tho. it can and very likely will install libsystemd if you install some packages. i thought that systemd was completely removed from it but this distro is just a scam.

still beats the hell out of running systemd full time. Perhaps the packages you are referring to now have hard dependency on libsystemd. There's not much Devuan can do in that case.

Should be asking in the stupid questions thread, but what are gaps?

I keep seeing gaps mentioned when reading about i3 and such. I'm very new.

bloat.(wastes space that could be used to display something useful)

gaps are literally what it sounds like. They're little aesthetic gaps between your windows in a tiling WM. Without gaps, all your windows are literally right up against each other.
pic related is some random rice I found that has gaps.

and here's a pic with no gaps. It's really just up to personal preference. I think most WMs that support gaps allow you to toggle them on and off, so you can switch.

Also, if you want gaps on i3, you need to use the fork called i3-gaps

Interesting, thanks.

I could definitely see myself having a little bit of gap between them. Having everything run up against each other would be hard on the eyes for me.

sounds good!
oh and what do you think of my OP pic? uwu

what's a good number of packages to have? sitting at 901 right now

not terribly important, because different distros package stuff in different ways, leading to big differences in the count between something like Debian vs something like Arch.
Also, there are some people who use stuff like latex, video editing tools, or programming libraries for multiple languages, which always cause the package count to shoot way the hell up.

So in other words, don't worry about it too much.

hello anons, I have troubles with my wlp8s0 connection, Can you give me some suggestion please,

what distro are you using?

Why is ImageMagick consider the minimal solution for screenshots and wallpaper management?

under 999 desu.

nah, its either feh or that suckless

feh or hsetroot is the best way to do it.
Imagemagick uses like 10MB more ram consistently. It's not much, but why do it that way when feh and hsetroot work just as well?

Ubuntu 15

wallpaper is NOT minimal

this t.bh. Does feh use memory when setting a wallpaper

Speaking about ImageMagick, since I only use the "convert" part of this big chunck of software, is there any alternative to this ?

Very nice setup even if I can't stand that web browser.
I think I might also use that font.

>Also, if you want gaps on i3, you need to use the fork called i3-gaps
Why aren't they merging it in i3?

Are anybody else having glitches on their wallpaper when they run an application through bumblebee (primusrun/optirun)? It fucks it up and then it stay broken until you reload it. I think it might be an hsetroot problem.

>Why aren't they merging it in i3?
Apparently is implemented badly as a hack and, because of how i3 is written, it can hardly be done otherwise.
The maintainer of i3 and i3gaps is the same guy.

Daily reminder to join #glmg on EFNet
IRC is minimal

it's the faggot debian fanboy op again, putting in devuan just to subtle suggest debian. Still did not explain how that shit is minimal, how apt handles packages minimal and how the netinst is not bloated as fuck, installing random packages you won't ever need even when you uncheck everything. Also every installer who do not allow you a sh shell to proceed on your own is bloat. Still, let's include debian in the list cause the op has a fetish for it.

I never used debian nor devuan, but if you have a point you can argue your opinion without being a little bitch.
If it makes sense, he'll remove it. Archlinux had the shitty pastas for days; we discussed what was true (eg. no splitting packages) and what was bullshit (eg. vim brings X) to finally choose to remove it from the OP.

1. What is the fastest window manager?
{Also i tested "bspwm vs i3" and i3 works muuuch faster than bspwm, but i don't think this is The Fastest, because it's bloat}

2. Why glmg-guys so love dwm? According to this it eats much more memory than 2bwm for example, and also it uses XLIB(which is (?)slower(?) than XLIB).
And what's good about config.h?

>slower than XCB*

That looks so cool.
Gaps are shit

I agree Arch does not belong in the list with stuff like alpine, slack, void, etc. but imo same goes for debian/devuan. Systemd is the main point of course, and no systemd distro should be allowed in here. But, even without it debian (devuan) is still bloated. Debian splits packages more, and even so, is not entirely true and situational, for example in Arch meta packages are more modular and you can avoid the meta-package, picking single packages without breaking stuff, in debian you can't most of the time. Apt often pulls unecessary stuff as dependencies and the installer itself is bloated even without anything checked. Arch has an installing process the same as void (which isn't an arch fork, thank god, but inherited the good things, such as the installer) which gives you way more freedom than something like netinst, void adds up to that giving you (and not forcing you, like debian does) an installer script which keeps everything minimal, but in the end it's always: partition, mount, install base in /mnt, chroot and do what you want. In conclusion, I'd just remove debian and derivates as a whole from the OP. Even Arch has forks without systemd, even without it, it's still not minimal. Same goes with debian, for different reasons.There you have the non-bitching version.

forgot to add that stuff like GNU GuixSD, afaik, does not support LUKS encryption yet and if anything, users should be aware of that when choosing it. No point in being minimal if you miss some critical security features. It's like choosing a distro which doesn't support ssl/tls at all.

why does anyone actually run gentoo?

just seems like one of those waste-of-time distros like arch

i3-gaps causes memory leaks on muh gentoo, it was installed through an ebuild from gpo though so maybe I had an outdated version

>pulseaudio
great music taste, tho.

was meant for this delete and repost reddit hero.

it's actually more time consuming than Arch to install and marginally more time consuming to maintain. I've been using it since November 2017 and it's been quite good fun but it's definitely for hobbyists.

personally I think it makes more sense to use a WM that supports it by default, rather than some random fork. That's why I switched to using bspwm at one point.

Damn, these dudes are cute

I know right!?! ^_^

>got rid of dbus, pam, consolekit, and policykit
Freedom never felt so free.

is there an slstatus date format string? i've tried looking but there is very little documentation surrounding slstatus

>Why glmg-guys so love dwm?
It's a genuinely brilliant piece of interface. Workspaces are tags, multiple tags can be applied to one window, and you can make unions with a key press.
> it eats much more memory than 2bwm for example
2bwm doesn't do any of that though? To my knowledge the only other WMs that can are xmonad and awesome.
> XLIB(which is (?)slower(?) than XCB)
Makes no difference that I've ever been able to notice.
> And what's good about config.h?
I dunno if it's great, but I've seen a lot worse (((human readable))) config file formats.

gentoo is probably the only distro that has packaged dwm properly.

>getting dwm from a package manager ever

Good OP

yay u like it!

theres nothing wrong with doing that on gentoo. just remember to enable the savedconfig useflag so you can edit the config

>can't figure out how to patch st on gentoo

Just occurred to me the CloverOS guys do Gentoo with presets, how minimal are they does somebody know?

>tfw patched st but I don't remember how

patches are bloat. st is perfect by default.

i just want scrolling. otherwise it is perfect.

I am lazy AF. Is that any distro which is not arch but has something like AUR?

just git things

>Is that any distro which is not arch but has something like AUR?
Plenty
>I am lazy AF.
Void Linux?

>one week has passed
>still trying to use this shit distro called Crux

You are teasing me into trying CRUX

Most distros have some kind of automated build script. Fedora and Debian anyway. Of course windowed fullscreen support is only in git, and most distros just blindly ship the last point release instead.

never used that distro but it cant be harder to install than gentoo.

Nothing campares to AUR. I use arch btw

Crux is basically a sub-sub-niche version of Gentoo with extremely bad release testing.

I want to install Gentoo but I am afraid to ruin my dad's Ubuntu partition lmao

CloverOS is minimal in that it doesn't have useless services or programs compiled with useless stuff. The ISO includes software though.

Seriously, this distro is a mess!

I've been seeing a lot of people struggle with CRUX. are they brainlets, or should I take CRUX out of the list next time?

>on virtualbox
>just werks
>on vmware
>kernel panic
>on host machine
>kernel panic

maybe the kernel is not configured properly if its like gentoo?

I like my vanilla dwm. Fuck off fag

take out fucking crux

will do

>Fuck off fag

Is TCC worth using? Is it still being worked on?

Kernel is configured properly. All loaded driver and modules are included on config.

This distro is a fucking garbage bugged.

How well would Devuan work on a Thinkpad X200s?

why does the person that posts these threads always put little boys as pic related. We get it you like kids- this is not catholic church general, man. Quit it

Threadly reminder decimal kilobytes and bibibytes instead of proper binary kilobytes are bloat

>not measuring in nibbles

Devuan is a meme distro like crux.

Just use debian

figured it out.
>git clone git.suckless.org/st
>cp *.diff st;cd st
>git apply *.diff
>make & make install
*diff is the patch
way easier than gentoo's guide

>fell GNU/Linux-systemd

tfw enjoy installing distros and programs more than actually using them

>version of Gentoo
Wrong

installed void today after a month in fedora, and arch before that.
thanks

Dont rush to remove it before having a second opinion, not that I use or that I disagree in its remove

Works wonderful and I am now with Ascii (Debian Stretch) because cutting edge

I got rid of consolekit, policykit and avahi and is working great, feels good man

I've got an idea: If 5 or more people can install Crux and set up a basic environment, you do not remove it. If fewer than 5 people can do that then you remove it.

The installation must be done ONLY in physical machine or Vmware (Player, Workstation, EXSi ...). Not worth installing in Virtualbox.

Computers are bloat, goodbye.

This is true
But where will you go user? Let's be minimal in the mountains together

>2018
>not using smoke signal or letter

t. Kaczynski

computers are minimal. life is bloat.

Life is 0123456789
Computers are 0 and 1
Computers aren't bloat

If I did it once before from windows to a different os once before,
Is there any reason not to dban nuke it again before installing another os like ubuntu?

My sides

Guys why the fuck is twitter so bloat

PC is bloat. Laptops aren't. Laptops are /minimal/. If you own a PC, throw it away and get a decent laptop

How is Xmonad? I recently taught myself Haskell and heard about Xmonad so I'm considering switching over from i3.

dwm man

>implying you need anything more than tty1

How about you go do some integration testing on your piece of shit distro and do a little more meditation on the definition of "basically".

It's pretty good. I don't have use for anything more complicated than dwm, but if I did it would be xmonad.

Is Plan9 bloat?

>implying you need anything more than kernel

No just retarded, except Harvey OS.

using debian now should i switch back to gentoo?

yes

>gentoo

INSTALL LFS

Is midori a minimalist browser?

Use what you're comfortable to use.
Why have you choose to remove Gentoo and why you choose Debian as your new distro?

Just installed void linux with herbstluftwm, what browser should I get? Something minimal that doesn't sacrifice too much usability. Im using gnu icecat right now, but for some reason its very slow to load pages

I like qutebrowser but get used to using the keyboard often.

Qupzilla is good too, like a lightweight firefox.