Why does everyone consider mechanical keyboards to be better than laptop-style...

Why does everyone consider mechanical keyboards to be better than laptop-style? To me they feel clunky and plasticy like a kids' toy while laptop-style feels sleek and has way less unnecessary travel distance. This causes the problem of not knowing if you actually hit the key which is why some mechanical switches have annoying bumps in them. I want to like them because all gaming keyboards have gone mechanical, so show me the light anons.

Did I mention the loud noise factor?

If you find a switch you like, you'll more than likely prefer it to a rubber dome switch because they do feel smoother/more responsive/nicer in general.

Based on your thoughts on "unnecessary travel distance" and "annoying bump", I'd imagine you would like a heavy linear switch like MX Blacks. The weight of the spring on Blacks is heavy enough that avoiding bottom out will be easy, and you'll just have to trust that the switch has actuated without much feedback.

You also may have not liked the tactile bumps because they were crappy switches, genuine MX Browns don't have very nice bumps, very blunt. If you ever have a chance to try out Kailh clickbar switches, they are amazing. Incredibly sharp bumps.

And if you do end up preferring dome, scissor switch boards in the end anyways, who the fuck cares. Nobody else is going to be using your keyboard so just type on what works for you.

Heavy linear switches fixes this too.

>show me the light anons
if you really like short travel distance, then mechanical keyboards just aren't for you. But the point of a mechanical switch is that you don't press it all the way down, so you don't hit anything suddenly and you're less tempted to just hammer on the keys and fuck up your fingers. There's nothing wrong with a membrane keyboard, especially if you eat at your desk. But mechanical keyboards are more customizable and more comfortable to type on (in my experience at least) over long periods of time.

>everyone
Don't generalize. Just because some people here express their opinions and you happen to read/remember those doesn't mean they are everyone. Take into consideration too that some people follow trends as well, that's not to say their opinions are suddenly invalid but it's something you yourself have to consider.

People like what they like, you don't have to like mechanical switches and if you like what is commonplace then you're lucky.

That being said there's no harm in trying new things to see if you might like them more than what you currently like.

OP here. I use a Razer Lycosa now and I don't press very hard or feel like I'm smashing into the bottom. My only complaint with it would be that the keys can get kind of stuck when I don't hit right in the center.

I'm looking at the G613. I love that it can connect to my phone and that it's wireless, but people seem to not think very highly of the Romer-G switches. I didn't like that it isn't backlit at first but now that I think about it I basically don't use the backlighting anyway since I'm a touch typist and I could turn on my smart lights from the controller on my desk anyway if I really needed to see something.

Typing on a keyboard where you're just pressing the key halfway down sounds really weird and hard to get used to.

And when I said everyone, I literally have never seen someone say otherwise so I feel like I'm alone in this opinion. Also, pretty much every gaming keyboard made in the last few years is desktop-style, not laptop style so I think we're approaching the point where the decision will be made for me. I need to get used to it because I won't have the choice.

Your mistake was buying a Razer board. Razer uses their own switches that are well known for being piss.

You seem to have an obsession with the gaming thing. "gaming" mechs are no different from normal mechs, besides the fact that they tend to be marked up a bit.

My personal recommendation is a Vortex RACE 3 with whatever switches you want. Solid aluminum chassis, nice dyesub PBT caps, $120.

For me personally switching from a MacBook chiclets keyboard to a mechanical keyboard totally got rid of all my wrist pain. Depends how much typing you do but for me it's made a huge difference. Idk how anyone can use chiclet keyboards if they are doing programming.

MK users have to justify paying over 300 dollars for an accessory that doesn't improve speed or comfort.

So mostly, justifying placebo. Like SSDs and headphones.

Scissor switches are a kind of mechanical switch

It entirely depends on the switch being used by the keyboard. I do a lot of writing and all the advice I was getting was to use blue MX switches because they're the most clicky and 'satisfying', but I didn't like the unusual amount of resistance they gave me. When I switched to a red MX I couldn't get over how smooth and fast typing was. It's hard to gauge just on how expensive they are, but you might want to change based on switch. There are also plenty of decent membrane keyboards out there that are also excellent and comfortable to write on; my portable keyboard for work is a HHKB with membrane switches that works excellently.

HHKB shouldn't be recommended as a membrane board because:

A. its not membrane, all discrete switches
B. topre is overpriced. its good, but far far more expensive than someone who has no idea what they even feel like should ever spend.

>avoiding bottom out will be easy
but I *want* to bottom out

With normal keyboards, gaming is an important distinction because cheaper keyboards won't allow you to hit multiple keys at the same time (n key rollover). Is this not true of mechanical keyboards? Also, I would never get a tenkeyless keyboard. I don't know how anyone gets by without numpad.
I can't believe anything you say if you think SSDs are a placebo, let alone audio quality.
Then I guess I've been using mechanical keyboards all along.
What does it mean for the Blacks to be heavy? Greater actuation force?

>Also, I would never get a tenkeyless keyboard. I don't know how anyone gets by without numpad.
>
tenkeyless is primarily a way to move the numpad to the left side without having to buy a rare and expensive keyboard

Keyboards don't have to be designed for gaming to have nkey rollover. As long as the board is more than $90, it probably has it. Vortex boards have it.

The spring is heavy. It takes more force to actuate it, and more to bottom out. Blacks are linear switches so there is no bump, just imagine pushing down a spring.

programming is more thinking than actually typing. you can type at like 40 wpm and still be efficient as long as you know what you're doing

I can't stand laptop keyboards. There's just something about them (probably a feedback thing but idk) that makes typing feel super uncomfortable. On top of that, laptop keyboards are always a fixed distance from the screen. Fuck that.

I only recently switched to mechanical and I love it. However it's way more important that I just have a free keyboard with plenty of travel. Laptop keyboards are gross...

Actually laptops are gross. My laptop is a necessary evil for when I can't use my desktop.

This. I'm a superstar programmer, but I never learned to touch type, and still hunt and peck.

Real programmers use vim while not knowing how to touch type.

Unironically this sans the hunt, I spent time learning to type using the homerow and it's faster for typing in English but that's ALL, and if you make a mistake it sucks dick. For programming, hotkeys, numbers/symbols, navigation, basically anything outside of English, peck is faster for me even accounting for inaccuracies, making corrections is faster.

Factor in Vim motions not being about words and then combine this with the fact that you can be faster with motions than anything else and you have a good match for productivity, you don't need a high English WPM you need a high APM(actions per minute).

Another thing I worry about is that the long travel distance will make it annoying and slow in games as you need to change which keys you're hitting rapidly and frequently. The not bottoming out thing doesn't apply here. You'll definitely be holding down the WASD keys all the way while walking around in a first person game.

>Also, I would never get a tenkeyless keyboard. I don't know how anyone gets by without numpad.
Thermaltake Quickfire TK (with your choice of switches). Switch from the regular arrow/home keys etc to numbpad with one key. Also very cheap. I've had mine for almost 3 years and it's solid.

They're a huge meme, the newest Microsoft Sculpt is objectively better in pretty much every way (less actuation force, less key travel, less noise).

Also, they are pretty much for autismos. Autistic people usually have a heightened sense of touch, thus they would generally prefer a key that feels "interesting" and "fun", and sounds "clicky"..

I think this user was talking about the HHKB lite. It has regular rubber domes like any other non mech keyboard.

SSD is the biggest placebo, agreed.

>Liking chiclet
Kys normalfag you are killing computers

theres a whole row of numbers above the letters

>He hasn't used an old alps keyboard heavy enough to kill someone

Laptop keyboards feel better than most prebuilt included keyboards though

>Why does everyone
>To me
Preference.

LCD monitors are the biggest placebo, period.

CRTs forever

>Why does everyone consider mechanical keyboards to be better than laptop-style?
I have a keyboard like that top one in the picture.
It's utter shit.

>cheaper keyboards won't allow you to hit multiple keys at the same time (n key rollover). Is this not true of mechanical keyboards?
not really, no. Never encountered a mechanical board that had that problem. Then again, most mechanical boards aren't exactly cheap anyway.

>Like SSDs and headphones.
Please type such bullshit at the start of your post, so people don't have to read the rest of your stupid brain puke.

>i want to like them because all gaming keyboard have gone mechanical
>gaming keyboard
I don't see your point. Are you asking for a gaming keyboard with a laptop style or what?

>ssd and headphones
>placebo
I think you should check again what "placebo" means.

You shouldn't complain about mechanical keyboards feeling like plastic kid toys if you buy plastic kid toys.
Bottoming out is a bad feeling, no matter how much you think to like it at first, but also the tactile bump of cherry mx isn't nice feeling because it seems like sand got in the switch. Other switches with an actual tactile bump might feel better, but you might also enjoy linear switches.
Honestly n key rollover is a marketing meme: unless you play something that requires the use of a metric ton of macro, all made from different combinations of the same closely grouped together keys, you'll never feel the need of such a thing.
For all your concerns, go to Cred Forumsmkg

How can you stand to type on those cancerous chiclet boards?
I had to buy a small mech keyboard for my laptop because the chiclet keys were giving me aids.
Do you actually enjoy those trash keys? I take it you don't do much typing.

butthurt MK users. Enjoy your 300 dollars paperweight

As I said above, I use a Lycosa, which is not chiclet. The newer Razer keyboard, the Deathstalker, which hasn't been updated in years, uses chiclet keys. But they are more like buttons on a game controller. An Xbox controller doesn't have huge buttons you have to press down half an inch like on a mech keyboard (I mean ABXY and D-pad, not the triggers).

buypigs want shit to spend money on, spending money on shit like this is literally their hobby

it's all a buypig is good for

>liking chiclet garbage
neck yourself

but that's not good for your fingers

Never seen a person get injured from typing on a keyboard.

I use a wireless apple keyboard like the one in the OP. I used to use a Das Keyboard primarily. I just grew out of the mechanical meme. To be honest I never really hated rubber domes that much. I had a few cheap microsoft comfort/ergo keyboards with rubber domes which were decent enough.

To me the scissor switch is the the best feeling. It like a more positive rubber dome, but the travel is way shorter, the rebound is fast, and they're really quite. I wish more companies would make scissor switch keyboards.

>300 MK
Sounds like (((somebody))) tricked you into wasting $300 on a keyboard that you could have bought for $100, and now you're upset.

Is scissor switch the new apple keyboard? If yes then yeah they are great.

Yeah thats the switch they use.

I like mechanicals because they feel really good to press, like an arcade button or something. I also like the sound they make, but there are silent switches.
It's a preference thing, but I find most rubberdomes to be way too mushy.

The sort of deadzone in travel with rubber domes, and the fact that keys tend to be really wobbly are their biggest drawbacks.

nothing wrong with tenkeyless. numpads were made for accountants who punch rows and rows of numbers over and over
programmers don't (or they shouldn't) want to move away from the home row so it's easier and faster to learn to use the row above the letters

>Why does everyone consider mechanical keyboards to be better than laptop-style? To me they feel clunky and plasticy like a kids' toy

Well sometimes, when people do something for a long while they start getting into the idea that they know everything. That is when they disappear right up their own arse holes. Take desktop ricers, Arch Linux users, and audiophiles, for example. They have completely gone contortionist and disappeared right up their own rusty bullet holes. Same with people who shill mechanical keyboards. Theres no actual advantage to having one they just look pretty. Mechanical keyboard users are usually My Little Pony freaks and very likely asian

>Placebo
>Headphones
>SSD
How are you actually this retarded user? Seriously? Are you deaf and blind?

Yeah I don't get how someone can think SSDs are a placebo when you can see videos of boot times compared side by side and one is like 10x the other.

Am I the only one who prefers the "shit" membrane keyboards over the mechanical ones?

I'm just used to typing on them, and I don't like the excessive noise the mechanical ones make.

I make way fewer mistakes typing on my mech keyboard, but I guess it can vary per person.

Got mine for $100 and they are heavily overpriced in my country.

A million times this. There's a point up to which it's all just autism. Mechanical Keyboards are generally better, BUT do give me one very well made chiclet (apple magic keyboard) or hybrid membrane (topre or NovaTouch TKL) over a shitty cherry mx red keyboard any day.

I wish that mechanical keyboard generals would convert into keyboard general. There's some use scenarios where having a chiclet keyboard will make way more sense than having a mechanical switches. One such case is when you're pulling an all nighter, writing code or doing some research heavy paper, and you're already so tired that you want some light, but very tactile switches. A good chiclet keyboard does a perfect job in that regard.

>For programming, hotkeys, numbers/symbols, navigation, basically anything outside of English, peck is faster for me even accounting for inaccuracies, making corrections is faster.
That's because you're a shitty typist and you didn't bother to learn typing characters like []{}@&#|. I also fail to see how touch typing can be both faster for typing English text but slower for typing vim commands which are pretty similar to English text in that they mostly consist of letters.