/wt/ Watch Thread - Casio Gang edition

This thread is about the appreciation of chronograph horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=2rr1ohi76TU

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

watchunique.com/featured/seagull-1963.html
youtube.com/watch?v=od9MkSOlYak
ebay.com/itm/NIB-Vintage-Fairchild-Solid-State-Tritium-Quartz-LCD-Digital-Watch-1331-FC1331/361491359430?epid=857748146&hash=item542a9066c6:g:lvcAAOSwWTRWuNH4
forums.watchuseek.com/f72/1963-chinese-air-force-style-watches-thomas-others-821627.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Do any watches other than the F-91W exist?

MQ24
I think that's the only other one though.

Not to the enlightened.

Which is better Sekio or Omega?

There are pretty much only two watch companies left with near-complete vertical integration: Seiko and Rolex.

this one.

do straight end metal brands look weird?

think I will regret settling for one since strapcode doesnt have one yet for my watch

Doesn't using or talking about that watch put you on a watchlist?

O M E G A
most under appreciated brand in the horological community.

yes

Maybe in the early 00s.
Today, no chance.
Making a bomb timer is easier and cheaper with a arduino or some other ic.

>one like means precision
>other's some shitty ancient Greek letter
I wonder what's better.

I got a F-91W a month ago, to use it at the gym, and found myself using it every day: I still don't understand why I find it so great to wear it daily. The other day my uncle found out a F-91W from the early 2000 in the bottom of his boat, still functioning.

That Casio is the definition of GOAT engineering:
>does exactly what it should do within acceptable tolerances for the application
>robust and reliable to survive years of use and abuse
>yet so cheap that literally anyone could buy it

For some reason I recently started having a thing for cheap but great products that withstood the test of time, probably initiated by that Casio, and got a pair of Koss Porta Pro.

How can other watches even compete?

>How can other watches even compete?
By ticking.

>use it at the gym
>How can other watches even compete?

How's the rubber smell? Ewwwwwwwwww

What's the best cheap watch from aliexpress? It must be around 38mm

I got an F-91W shortly after getting my first nice watch, once it came in I started switching to the Casio when I got home. Just found out about the AE1200 though so I'll be upgrading to that soon, plus I wouldn't mind being seen with this one in public.

Noice. I'll attach a wristband compass on that for survival mode

why do these sell for like 270$ on ebay from Hong Kong and Singapore? Except getting raped by my customs, whats stopping me from getting one for at least a 100$ off the usual price?

Ah yes
having the literally most common watch in the world puts you on a watchlist

It's not that great. For just a little more money, you can get one with an actual good backlight (illuminator) or with some degree of water resistance, or something that looks better like the ae1200.

Nothing. Don't buy it full price.

I don't really dig the James Bond looks.

also is the turtle just butt ugly and I like it because of spite or does it have some kind of dadcore aesthetics

I didn't like it at first but now I'm considering getting one after seeing it in person.

Today Seiko is better because Seiko remains a product driven rather than marketing driven watchmaker, and Seiko is one of only two of the high-grade production watchmakers of the pre-quartz period that still exists in largely the same form it did before quartz, like Rolex. Omega is not the same company, nor is Eterna, and Girard Perregaux is now a haute horlogerie brand.

Historically I would consider Seiko and pre-Swatch Omega/Lemania/Tissot to be a tie.

>do straight end metal brands look weird?
Yes, unless you have hooded lugs.

>cluttered face
>half the space is filled with useless information

I couldn't tell you, I like it too, especially the black and gold one.

nice watch as always Canadanon

they don't look great desu

>ALARM CHRONOGRAPH
>WATER WR RESIST

Raising the topic of how to into watchmaking in the last thread, maybe we could combine a collection of recommended resources and books in the OP?

I only know of Watchmaking by George Daniels and Practical Watch Repair by Decarle

That exact Flik Flak was my first ever watch, can't comment on the accuracy.

My dad gave me a digital Casio watch when I was a kid and I really loved it. Unfortunately, hinge broke so I had to buy a new one. Ordered F-19W because people say it's built like a tank but I find it difficult to believe that. It seems that anons here like it, though.

Any reasons I shouldn’t consider this Tudor? I can afford it, but honestly I’ve never spent anywhere close to $3k on a clothing item. I have a $1000 suit that’s about the most expensive clothing I own.

You can use it as a bomb

That's dope but there's nothing worth blowing up. If it's reliable enough for a bomb I guess it's good enough for me.

The strap is the weakest part of the f91w.

Isn't it quite thicc?

Yes

this
It's like an f91w on steroids

Yes. That model uses an ETA 2890 movement with a piggyback Dubois-Dépraz caliber 2020 chronograph module. Independent watchmakers will typically not service those modules and you will need to send the watch back to Tudor for services, where they will remove and replace the entire piggyback module rather than bothering to service it. That movement is trash by comparison to the Breitling B01 in the newer Tudor chronographs.

I'm looking into assembling my first watch, everyone seems to use an ST36 (6498 clone) and there are lots of parts available... but it's fucking huge and the cases are all 44mm+. Do you guys know of a smaller alternative? I kind of liked the fact that it's handwound, but that seems to be a rarity.

meh, they're like 1 dolla a piece.

Or just buy a new f91w for a couple dollars more lmao

Love my new watch. Still looking for a couple nice straps for it.

>not making your own denim watchstrap

I'll pass, thanks.

I hate how pretty much everything I've tried in the seiko prospex line is over 50mm lug to lug. Got to see some spring drive stuff, prospex divers and prospex land watches.

She's a bit dirty because I've already worn it.

Case is 44.5mm diameter, but its a dream for people with small wrists. Actual lug to lug is a lot shoter than the skx007 and the orient mako USA that I daily.

wtf that looks kinda nice

It has a field watch layout(hence the fieldmaster name) which is just what I wanted. Maybe one day they'll produce one in automatic.
Thanks. I had the mako serviced as well. She's now back to being accurate for daily use.

You got it serviced at the Seiko boutique? How much did it cost?

Took it out for a ride.

Thoughts on the Amazfit Bip?

>smartwatch

This watch i like.

I'm a blue collar poorfag. While I like the design I think the turtle might be a little too big and too fancy for me.
Equivalent to 15 USD.

what kind of "service" did you get?

Bought a meme, but im loving it.

The computer is a bit of a bitch to use, but meh, i dont do much cross country.

S A P P H I R E

He said he just cleaned the mainspring and the other internals then reapplied grease and reassembled it as he didn't see anything wrong with it. I'm back to +12 sec a day now as opposed to +10 minutes a day.
ehh

>Watches bought by suburban dads who wander into a department store watch section

Reminder: this is the guy who shits on Seiko mods

I wouldn't recommend it. My least favorite Casio watch

I wish it didnt have so many words on the dial
>RADIO CONTROLLED
yea i know kind of why i bought it
>BLUE ANGELS
yea I know its on the case back.....

But I guess since it does timezones they couldnt hide all of that in the rim. I do at least use a chunk of the features to make it worth it.

But now I'm wondering, is it possible to "clean" an eco-drives dial?

That's what I imagined

I think it might be a little too big user.
That too I guess.

Find me a good looking chrono / flight watch under $1000 that's solar

You should provide evidence, If you are saying such negative things about me, my nigga. Unless you gut some actual proof kindly fuck off.

SSG001

That's basically and admission of guilt lmao

WELP SHOULD HAVE ASKED HERE BEFORE IMPULSE BUYING

That computer looks easier to use as well, ugh.

Incidentally I also have terminal autism

You can just return it user.

Is this thee gshock to own?

I'm kinda tired of my Terrorist Watch, what should I buy for casual daily use? Digital would be nice.

Ah yea true that

wikipedia.org/wiki/Presumption_of_innocence

>reverse image search
>no results
a.. a girl?

Should I go with a black or a blue dial for everyday wear?

I think he just has moobs.

Look at the bulge in my pants. Do I look like a girl to you?

I owned both. I would go blue any day of the week.

blue

>Do I look like a girl to you?
yeah, are you not?

G shock GW-M5610
>more robust than your tiny terrorist watch
>stuffed with even more features
>even longer battery life
>even more accurate than f91w
>still affordable

Nice tits, fag

Not looking like a toy for autistic children

I'm not.

Thanks, will look into it.

Thank you!

I own this sexy piece. I wish I liked wearing watches; I end up taking it of when working.

The strap on my F-14 snapped, since it's integrated into the caseback I seem to be fucked.
I may try using super glue as it snapped right at the lugs.

Casio's

Have you considered killing yourself?

Maybe it's too uncomfortable or heavy for you, maybe try out other watches
I too hated wearing watches until I got into lighter watches at 19

that gold trimmed f91w is low key the best watch ever made

>le fuhny reaction image

>>>/reddit/

navy pilot larping btfo

this is massive

are those cheap $2/3 clipon compasses fine enough to attach them on a watch?

>wide shoulders
>man hands
>small, deformed breasts
>narrow hips
>clear crotch bulging
>no ass

mentally ill person gtfo

Why so mean? I'm not a tranny.

>not using your watch as a compass

do people seriously not know how to do this in the current year?

they're fine, nothing special

if you're relying on a compass for any important work you'll already have a decent one that isn't a tiny clipon, but if it's not crucial for anything then I can't see why those dollar store grade clip on compasses wouldn't work

prove it

this

if you legitimately need to utilize a compass in whatever you are doing you will have a quality one already. If you only need it casually then just use your watch face.

Therefore buying a clip-on one just makes you look like a try-hard and you're doing it for attention.

What do you mean prove it? Isn't my word enough? I'm not trans, but I do have gyno. Didn't think you guys would flip your shit. Next picture I'll have programming socks on or something.
Also
>no ass

>I'm not trans, but I do have gyno.
t. /wt/

sad desu

>f-91w
yes
>hi tech
thinkpad 1ssd + hdd + linux
>large sums of money
yep, i am frugal
>info about detainees
i download a lot of shit from pol including pizzagate, elsagate and all from ipfs threads
Olso opions about pic rel?

great. same functionality as f91w with a better light
I know two girls who wear this and they love it

Oh you're just a shitposter making retarded comments for no reason whatsoever then. No need to pile on to the original poster then.

Cool watch. Gets compliments from people funny enough. Then again it is kinda the hipster watch.

Should stop eating so much soy, brother.

what is wrong with you?
nice
i really like it but i hate this braclet
look like hot wheels watch
>trap
nice

Pic rel polish watch that was in space, yes Hermaszewski wore it

Blue. No contest

Not gonna lie, the only time I had soy in my life was when I tried soy milk and it was disgusting.
Cow milk is way better, and that's what I drink. No soy in my diet.

Except when you catch it on the edge of a table and the resin case breaks, then it's a piece of shit that gets thrown in the bin. Really wish they'd release premium versions of their "metal" cased watches that were actually made of metal, that'd be amazing.

That does not look like the same watch in the picture.

>xe drinks milk in general

wew lad

They really are not that fragile user..

>Rolex and Seiko are pretty much the only truly vertically integrated watch brands below $10k.

>both have significant brand stigma (Rolex: "lol snob" / Seiko "lol poorfag mallwatch")

Being a watchfag is suffering.

>Being concerned with brand stigma
bitch just buy what you like.

>brandfag

Be my gf (male)

Okay let me put it in words.
That watch looks disgustingly cheap, if you took the Omega & Speedmaster logos off I would say it was an Accurist, Rotary or Sekonda or something.

look at dis d00d, he actually is so insecur he actual cares what other people think

LAYMAO

lol gay

>he actually cares if his watch looks expensive or cheap
>he doesn't appreciate horological and historical value
>he buys watches for style

ok

The clothes (and accessories) maketh the man. Ever heard of this?

PEAK PERFORMANCE

i'm straight but god damn i would love to feel Joe's muscular gluts flexing against my hips as I pounded his tight, Elk fortified butthole

Anyway, thoughts on this G-Shock? Picked it up a couple days ago with my wife and her kids at the mall.

*hits you with an umbrella*
Calm down Eggsy XD

are you homosexual? this had got to be bait because you're in a world for hurt if you actually believe this

What NATO band will look best on this watch?

None of them.

The bond one

>Russian watch
>NATO band

the madman

>this is massive
for you

Stop caring about the opinions of people who know nothing about the subject.

Also, stop caring about branding and judge watches strictly by their aesthetics, manufacturing quality, and horological merits. The elevation of marketing and branding over the actual products is one of the primary cancers of the post-quartz watch industry.

Nice handwatch. Try wearing it like an adult.

Because I think you have made poor choices in life and by promoting yourself as a demented freak or whatever you are, you are "showing off" about it, and possibly encouraging more vulnerable anons to think this is an acceptable way of life.

I don't know why faggots feel this urge to tell everyone they suck dick. This is Cred Forums not /lgbt/

Definitely more fragile than metal or the plastic case of something like an F91W. I must've caught it just right on the edge of the table so that the end of a lug snapped off. Annoyingly I'd bought it before they got fashionable so now they're way too expensive for what they are.

Which bond one?

>stop caring about branding and judge watches strictly by their manufacturing quality, and horological merits
"Branding" and "manufacturing quality/horological merits" go hand in hand.
Hence the importance of vertical integration.

looks fine, it appears to be an older model

> i am a dumb prude and everyone should be one too!

nice one xD
let's go

>le pol is bad meme

stop posting and pay attention to your sociology teacher, faggot

the only and one

>"Branding" and "manufacturing quality/horological merits" go hand in hand.
>Hence the importance of vertical integration.
There are very few watchmakers today who believe in the old fashioned idea of building a brand on the basis of the actual manufacturing quality and horological merits of their products. Those few are dwarfed in number by watchmakers that see the industry as one centered on marketing the 'prestige' and 'brand image' and 'luxury lifestyle' of watches with the physical watches themselves being seen as mere totems that exist to carry the brand image generated by the marketing. it's this later conception of watchmaking that has been a complete cancer on the industry in the post-quartz era, especially as several major players in Switzerland believe to their very core that the shift to pleb-catching as a business model is what saved the Swiss watchmaking industry (even though Rolex, who never stopped being product driven even if they advertised a lot, remains by miles the most successful Swiss production watchmaker).

suggest strap for my cocktail?

brown leather

yeah I can see you not paying attention to teachers really helped you in life, ranting about people of different sexualities on a thread about fucking watches

Not the user you're bickering with, but that's exactly the reason I don't want to see pictures of anybody's bodies. This is the fucking Cred Forums watch thread, go to /fa/ for that shit.

>literally complains about a faggot posting outside of /lbgt/
>then immediately turns around and defends Cred Forums outside of Cred Forums
Not him, but holy shit the hypocrisy is incredible, especially since the fucking mods failing to keep Cred Forums in Cred Forums is a far larger cancer on this site than some faggot posting trap-ish pictures. This entire fucking board is now just Cred Forums technology.

Not earlier user. I agree with you, however I'm not convinced that any other watchmakers aside from Rolex would have done so well. Didn't watch houses like Omega, Longines, and others have serious difficulty after the revolution, to the point where they were forced to join together or face extinction? I may be wrong in the names, but from the little I've read so far it seems like unless a watch house was very famous, they would have tanked.

I certainly recognize the branding problem; how else can you sell a watch to someone when it's less accurate, less precise, and is more expensive to buy and service? You have to go in the direction of 'tradition', 'heritage', etc...it's the only way to trick people with money but not knowledge. They're like diamonds, in a sense...they don't have a practical use really, so you have to find a way to sell them based on emotion rather than rationality.

Not trying to argue with you, but I'm curious as to your thoughts on this.

Blue EULIT Palma, blue or black leather. I hate brown straps on blue faces, even if other watch people claim it looks good.

Is meant for:
Also, for future reference, you don't need to delete your post because of a typo, this is not reddit.

It's mostly because I like my wrist to have it's full range of motion.

Actually a Speedy is one of very few chronos I like. That one looks nasty & if I were spending that kind of money I would want a dial that didn't like some shitty £35 watch from Argos.

You're supposed to wear watches above the wrist bone to avoid this exact issue. For some reason it has become popular in some circles to wear them on the hand like a limp dick.

Just ordered. How did I do lads?

i've got the retro model, super nice

That radio room dial always makes me think of pic related.

My first mechanical was a watch from Argos....a Rotary skeleton. I still wear it once in a while...for some reason women love staring at it. Keeps okay time, probably needs a regulation (Miyota movement I think) as it has always lost about 30 seconds a day since I bought it.

We never forget our first.

As for the racing Speedy...yeah, sadly it's not the most aesthetically beautiful of the 'special' editions or whatever the fuck it's a part of.

Planning on buying one of these. Can't buy both since I am a poorfag. Any help?
Orient one is 160$ something
The Seagull is 350$.

wait what is this?

>The Seagull is 350$
>Seagull

Okay boys, wall-of-text time!

>pic of wrong Bond strap
The Connery one is better, also get black for the Amphibia.

Sea-Gull, but get the acrylic crystal, the sapphire look like dogshit in comparison.

>Didn't watch houses like Omega, Longines, and others have serious difficulty after the revolution, to the point where they were forced to join together or face extinction?
Absolutely they did, in Omega's case they'd been struggling to find a new corporate direction since the early 1970s even before the quartz revolution really took hold.

>I certainly recognize the branding problem; how else can you sell a watch to someone when it's less accurate, less precise, and is more expensive to buy and service? You have to go in the direction of 'tradition', 'heritage', etc.
Sure, but the problem came when the marketers came to believe that it was cheaper and more effective for sales to increase the advertising budget and penny pinch on the actual production of the watch because most of the buying public didn't understand enough about watches to know the difference anyway.

And while people like Nicholas Hayek and Jean Claude Biver might have been correct in the short run that a focus on marketing and a rationalization of production costs was necessary in the long run, look what they and their ilk have wrought on the Swiss industry by neglecting the underlying product quality and horological merits of the watches made by the various brands they have headed: All of the conglomerated Swatch brands have long term image problems, the entire LVMH group has long term image problems, and so to chunks of the Richemont Group (Panerai, IWC), hell, even Audemars Piguet has seriously tarnished its brand image under Biver's leadership, to the point of no longer being seen as on the same tier as Vacheron Constantin and Patek Philippe by many (leaving aside Patek's current shark jumping trajectory).

Meanwhile, by remaining product focused while using marketing as a tool (rather than the central focus of the business model) Rolex has ironically built one of the strongest brands in the world.

It looks like shit, for me it's gotta be the Moonwatch. Although I also like the Tintin and the Lemania powered one fat Canadian owns is cool too.

Best flieger watch upgrade from the SNK809?

Stowa or Laco.

what happened user?

know any good source to buy it? What price do you think is reasonable for it? Amazon doesn't have the acrylic one.

Makes sense, however once again I have a question that may throw a wrench into it.

Could it be that Rolex was able to remain product focused precisely because it was the strongest in the field at the time of the revolution? In other words, Rolex would have had the luxury of still having demand and customers so they wouldn't have to really adjust anything, whereas the companies that were in trouble were basically in a sink-or-swim scenario, and extreme measures were required.

The way I see it, the difficulty resides in 1) a company building itself back up from this disaster to have the customer demand and 2) what direction to take after you have customers on your doorstep. On this I think we agree.

Omega, as a modern example, seems to have figured this out pretty well; the association with James Bond really made a huge difference in the 90's, and the co-axial seems to be a kind of 'proof' for the layman watch enthusiast of Omega's intention of developing their movements into the future.

The interesting thing about Audemars to me is the brief (or is it still there) association with the UFC; there are lots of athletes now in that kind of sport that seem to look for big watches now, and lots of fans who watch the pay-per-views who now might see this company as something 'cooler' than the typical dainty 39mm Rolex you see dangling on a chinaman's wrist.

It's a hard thing to parcel out...

I have no idea, as I'm not interested in one. Try googling around.

That Lemania powered one is the same one as pic related, with a different casing. They're very desirable, and highly sought-after. In my view it's the best proportioned alternative speedmaster in terms of the face and complications...sad that Omega can't bring it back.

lol I've posted a few wall-of-texts over the past 3 days regarding this watch, as I just recently took delivery of one and had it briefly serviced.

In short (as I know people are tired of hearing me talk about this):
1) There are a few places on the net to get it. I got mine at watchunique; they have the acrylic crystal version at a reasonable price, and you can opt for a transparent window back. Poljot24 also had them I think, but I'm not sure now, and there's a fellow on the WUS boards named HKED who sells them from China. You'll have to compare prices to find what is best for you.
2) The acrylic face version is superior because it's closer to the historical model and because the sapphire crystal version has an additional curved step (that is needed to raise the crystal above the hands) on the casing that looks rather odd.
3) The movement itself is an excellent movement, as long as it's assembled correctly and regulated. I suggested in one of the earlier posts to try to budget in a trip to a local watchmaker just in case you get a watch that needs a little tweaking. Mine had a chrono seconds hand that was jumpy, and it was a quick $20 fix, but I also had the added pleasure of checking with the watchmaker if anything else was wrong. He gave it a clean bill of health, and he checked it against his machine; the rates were 0.0x in all positions, and as of today it's still running dead on.

It's an awesome purchase, but you need to be a little lucky as well.

>Could it be that Rolex was able to remain product focused precisely because it was the strongest in the field at the time of the revolution?
Sure, that's a fair point, but then those other Swiss brands would have done better for their long term health if they'd tried to move in a more product focused direction once they'd weathered the storm.

The Swatch Group didn't start even half-heartedly trying to fix Omega's credibility until the brand was the brink of being permanently ruined in the late 1990s. I think Biver has perhaps started to realize the long term perils of the marketing dominated approach as he seems to be taking baby steps towards trying to fix TAG HUEUE and the ZO 342 is a very bold product driven direction for the future of the whole LVMH group.

As an example of what I think can be accomplished with a more product driven strategy, I think Vacheron Constantin has done a very good job in the last 10 years of using actual haute horlogerie watchmaking to strengthen their brand image. I think Nomos has done quite well pursuing this type of direction for themselves when they invested the millions of Euros it took to develop an in-house escapement and in-house clean sheet movement designs and I hope Nomos' long-term success helps incentivize other production watchmakers to invest more into the R&D and manufacturing side of the business and less into advertising and celebrity endorsements.

how much did yours cost?

watchunique.com/featured/seagull-1963.html

You have to factor in exchange rates if you're not in EU, and other things like shipping costs, duty and taxes when it enters the country, etc. But it's the only manual-wind column-wheel chronograph in this financial bracket, and it's a hell of deal considering that the styling is aesthetically pleasing (not to all, of course, but definitely to me).

Sorry, gotta run...minor family emerg.

can i be in ur club boys

The fuck is with your mutt arm hair? Are you a fat hapa or another iteration of la creatura? Gtfo of here with your "I use capitalism to make myself feel more Marxist" Chigger watch. If your watch was not designed in a European country or Japan, it's shit.

yes

only when they send you to guantanamo bay because they spotted you with it!

Is this Cred Forumstism?

It's not bad for 90 buckaroonis.

Been a while since I used this. Affordable snowflake, and it's ±15s/m.

Seiko made some great white textured dials back in the day.

Best one imo

My gf got me one a while back, I unironically love it and surprisingly this

can't beat that sunburst blue, user

post kino watch commercials
youtube.com/watch?v=od9MkSOlYak

Great textured dials in general really

yes

Gr8 b8 m8, i r8 it 8/8

I'm back..okay.

All fair points, once again. Do you think we've hit a stage in society where, because of the lack of necessity for mechanical watches in daily life, we're seeing the exaggeration or move towards the extremes of marketing in order to make up for the drop in interest in the population?

I mean, we really don't even need a wristwatch anymore, as the time is broadcast and screamed to us on every digital billboard and on our phones. Even if we do need a wristwatch, a quartz would suffice. Unless it's a status symbol, which Rolex is by far the king in the world of this perception, how else could one sell a fine watch?

So, I guess what I'm saying is that I think the broad general public views wristwatches as an item of fashion more than anything else. That it should be cheap enough to have more than one, that it's an accessory to their total fashion ideal, and that if you pay a lot for one, it should come with status.

This definitely doesn't work for haute horology, of course. But it would explain the need for some companies to offset development in favour of getting their name out. Rolex sponsors yacht races and tennis tourneys...Omega times the Olympics. Audemars is/was with UFC...what does Hublot do? Or Vacheron, or JLC, or IWC?

This is a very tough thing for companies...I don't think it's possible to go the Lange route, where you simply make outstanding things and assume that people will eventually learn about them and pay money for them. The market just isn't big enough for that. You can't have Rolex's numbers in a small house like Lange.

But what do you do when you're a mid-teir watch company, that uses reliable and slightly modified ETAs, making watches that are nice but nondescript....to go higher would require serious r+d and the hope that you hit something that enthusiasts like enough to change their perception of you....or that you go lower and make things affordable. I can't find a solution to this.

In other words, what do you do if you're Oris at present? From what I've seen of their collection, it's standard, sometimes nice, sometimes ugly, not too expensive but not too cheap. What the hell can they do? They could do a celebrity endorsement here and there, and maybe pay to have their watch in a few movies. Similarly, they could try to sponsor things that have high visibility (the World Cup or something like this). But the watch enthusiast will always think of Oris as entry to mid level tier, under Omega, definitely under Rolex, but perhaps above Longines. How in the world does one change this perception?

Worse off, I'm not convinced that Oris in their present state could risk millions of euros to develop something that would revolutionize, or at least push them to be a step above their current position. Patek could, Cartier definitely could....but Oris?

This is what I mean...what kind of solution is there for these kinds of companies, aside from simply advertise as much as possible? I think it's a losing game for them, like the field is oversaturated with watch brands...what do you think?

how do I get enough money to buy that a. lange?

>anyone who disagrees with my /soc/posting is Cred Forums
What if I started posting pictures of dead animals with watches? Would that be okay?

No, because most normal people don't like that stuff and secondly it would just derail the thread like this fag did

Do want, what is this

how about going back to your board instead of going turbo autistic on a watch thread on a technology board?

When you find the answer, let me know...

Finally picked this up for the post office. It's not as bad irl as in the pictures but it could use a new crystal. The movement is bonkers though, by the looks of it it absolutely BTFO's the Miyota 9015.

I think now I have all or almost all of the early-mid 70's Citizen mindrange three-hander wonders: The electronic 780x Cosmotron, the quartz 8620 Cryston, the tuning fork 370x Hisonic and the "high beat" automatic 7700 Leopard.

Anything I should still add?

Agreed how post we post watches and not our bodies

which one would you pick, /wt/?
>tfw want the cream yellow dial of the left watch with the right watch

any kino watch reccommendations?
used to own a casio calculator watch as a kid, and was going to buy another, but was wondering if there's any other options out there.

Oh and it uses the same day-date setting mechanism as the 7803 Cosmotron. I'm assuming most of the dial side is the same.

Pic also arrived, though I already own a Suwa 5Actus (and a Daini too).

here's my comfy AE1200 on my bone wrist

what kind? for what purpose? what budget? what stye do you like?
see these , they are around 150 bucks each

>Agreed how post we post watches

What is that circle dial for in the upper left?

and does that map just show what time zone you are in?

anything 80s-era, budget is $150. i like my watches to have a function, not just look pretty.

A 5800 cosmotron

the dial shows your home time as an analog clock, so anywhere in the system it will always show you home time

yes

The cream is too yellow looking.

Anyone know any quartz watches with sapphire for under a $100? I looked at variant watches but the design is ugly to me. I have a bunch of meme watches but I've come to terms with the fact that the A168 is almost all I ever end up wearing. Quartz is too good and easy

Redpill me on DW-5750E. Should I get one? Which looks better?

Omega

I love it so.

Also got that Finnish boy for working out

This is not 420chan, there's no need to slip joints into your pictures.

No take the 5500 pill

>dat misaligned chapter ring

I'd hapily wear a vintage turtle as a daily beater but good luck finding one that isn't too expensive for what it is and hasn't been redialed by some SEA ebay merchant.

Nice watch
That bracelet is fucking cool too

Fat canadian bro, how much should a service on my mark4.5 be? I have a ton of parts I got cheap from an estate auction on ebay, like almost everything you would need to fix up the movement for $27.

This watch looks so good. I nearly bought it once but then didn't. I should have because it was quite a good price. And i still love the look of it.

That all black one is sick. For the money though I'd get the square classic with atomic clock receiver

>those casios
>smoking roll-ups
>that keyboard
How did end up here

it's ok bb OwO

Ah yes, the problem of Oris. I've thought about it often, over the years.
Then I get bored of thinking about shit that has no solution and go back to my regularly scheduled 'nothing'.

When I first really started getting interested in watches about a decade ago, Oris intrigued me. It was a big small brand (or is it a small big brand?), that was independent. I liked their rounded, fatty looking divers that seem to have disappeared from their catalogs in the past few years, even though I wouldn't ever want to actually wear one.

To give a quick assessment: they're fucked. What have they going for them? Is there a die-hard, dedicated group of modern oris-only collectors? Why? What sets them apart except the design? The movements now are just Sellita's, themselves a knockoff of movement made my another group. What do they offer collectors? Wouldn't the collector that could indulge in collecting shit based on superficial external elements just be the kind that would go or higher-end brands or just vintage specimens?

Oris aren't like, say, Movado, who are really a small step above mall-tier fashion. Oris makes a point of making no quartz watches at all. But mechanically, they're nothing special. Yeah yeah they came out with that massive pilot-esque watch with the many day PR. What else?

Who even buys Oris?
Only guy I know that bought an oris was because he's a compulsive watch buyer and he got a good deal at an airport or some shit, and due to his position (civil servant) he can't be seen wearing his pricier shit.

Cashed up youngin's buy omega. Or rolex. Others who don't do their research, go for longines andother swatch group crap.

I mean, I thought they were fucked all those years ago when I first heard of that ETA plan to cease ebauche sales to non-swatch group companies. And yet they're still here, 7 or whatever years later.

The problem of Oris.

>Which looks better?
Blacked out one

Why is every nice looking japanese watch JDM only? Now I have to go back learning aiueo and kanji again.

is so broke he has only casio shitters and smokes pot. fucking degenerates.

Those are wild but on the other hand the final Citizen electronic movement reminds me too much of the new era that was coming in watch manufacturing.

What’s this mean

> I thought they were fucked all those years ago when I first heard of that ETA plan to cease ebauche sales to non-swatch group companies.

Didn't that get blocked by the Swiss government? At least rather than a hard stop they had to gradually phase in the change.

Be careful of the neg display model. IME the only g-shocks that have truly readable neg displays are the ones with a slightly gold tinge. I plan on checking this out in the shop maybe tomorrow. I like the look of it, but lack of instant readability really activates my chia seeds.

She's fucked, jim.

this is my first time in a /wt/ what is this terrorist watch meme?

Dirty pallet jewel, bad escape wheel and out of beat. Try demagnetizing first.

Is it an old shitter or a new shitter?

I can't remember the specifics, but recall something along those lines. However, I think they're well and truly past that phase by now. They still sell whole movements, as evidenced by smaller companies like Damasko and other smaller germans, but bulk buying the ebauches is gone.

To their credit (or not, depending on how you view it) I recall Oris making the transition to sellita quite readily. They saw enough writing on the wall to get a move on in that regard. Who knows what their strategic planning dept. is up to now; they just seem to be plodding along, not that I've looked very closely.

It's almost not a meme, and it predates any watch discussion on this board.

Alright.

I heard that some A-rab detainees in gitmo were sent there simply because they were spotted wearing that watch.

>not using a sundial instead of a watch
Oh wait, people don't do that for the same reason they use compasses instead of watches for finding north.

>Firend's birthday is coming up
>He drives a pic related
>He thinks he is living in the 80s
>He likes those overly complicated big quartz fashion watches and digital display casios

I want to buy him a watch that's not a complete fucking piece of shit but preferably for a low-low price (under $100). I am thinking about the casio world time but thought I might ask you guys before.

tl;dr: Looking for an "80's style" watch under 100 bucks.

Most independent watchmakers will charge between $350 and $750 for servicing chronographs. The only part that is normally needed after many years of use is the second hammer for resetting the chronograph, the rest of the movement is typically quite robust.

The only option

ebay.com/itm/NIB-Vintage-Fairchild-Solid-State-Tritium-Quartz-LCD-Digital-Watch-1331-FC1331/361491359430?epid=857748146&hash=item542a9066c6:g:lvcAAOSwWTRWuNH4

I think some brands just accept their place on the ladder and instead of trying to go that much farther up they decide to just try and be the best option on that particular rung of the ladder.

Nice, but looks a bit too modern, doesn't it ?
This is great, thanks. How small could it be ?

was featured in back to the future, I bet he will love it

Unfortunately I've never seen one in person, but it doesn't look very tiny judging from the pictures.

Better one

Thank you famalam, this one is the winner.
He loves that movie.

I bet you use a rope for a belt

OK Thanks user I will check those. This is a very old shitter shitter

Well, I didn't mean to open an old wound of sorts...but Oris has also intrigued me for the same reasons, and that's why I brought it up.

Rolex has an obvious solution. So does Omega. Patek has the rich fuckers, as does Lange. Longines is probably the first level of mechanical watches a person in a mall might look at. Beyond these, I think there is a problem.

Breitling used to be the large watch favored by rappers...now it's not the largest anymore. So, that's done. What do you do with Hublot, Breitling, Blancpain, IWC, Ball, AP, ...and the rest? Panerai has their unique cases, and people will be attracted to that for some reason. JLC has the famous reverso, and Vacheron is raising their design bar, going towards haute within a reasonable price still.

But the mid tier ones like Tag and Oris...there's no where they can go. Tag will never have the respect today of Omega, which seems to be the company they're trying to compete and market themselves with. Oris will never stop making watches that seem to be fatter, heavier copies of better watches.

But even the quartz expensive watch. I have never understood it personally; I would never have a reason to buy an expensive watch if it's just a simple quartz movement. I'm not talking about Seiko high end or those Omega chronometers...I'm talking about something like the Omega Seamaster Bond in quartz, which is in many ways just a very beautiful and expensive quartz. That kind of thing makes no sense to me at all. You still have to replace a battery...and in my view it's not really horology if there's no barrel.

I don't think, in the coming years, we'll see many (if any at all) quartz watches coming from high end companies....I think that idea is done. But what I think is more problematic is that there's a group of about 8 or 9 major brands that are all around the same pricepoint (for their low to mid-tier watches), competing against each other. Why choose one over the other?

Hey, can anyone recommend me a waterproof thin (I'm a wristlet) minimal Seiko watch? Can be retro, can be new. Something like pic. Budget is ~200 bux

what do you mean by that keyboard? that looks like a ibm model M, right up some Cred Forumstards alley down on /mkg/

Plenty of 100m WR rated Seiko's. But if you are looking for more depth or a screw crown not a lot of options in the lower prices.

no they leak oil

>/mkg/
>not cancer

choose only one

>in my view it's not really horology if there's no barrel.
Go wash your mouth out with soap.

I want her to service my watch

>her

Not even that user, but I picked my Model M out of the trash a decade before people started jizzing all over them. I also have the PS/2 to go with it. It's a great fucking board.

Alright...lemme just put this thing down for a moment...

Fuck me, where to cop?

never contested that, but suggesting he doesn't belong here using "that board" as argument is nonsense

>I don't think, in the coming years, we'll see many (if any at all) quartz watches coming from high end companies....I think that idea is done.
Quartz are cheap, quartz works and is reliable, if there buys why not sell to them. Do you thing they care, look at rapers with fake tic tac hublot watches?
To be honest i don't know why i bought pic rel i have small buyer remorse over it, it is too expensive and will never be reliable as f-91w. I have 3 old watches (2 rakieta and zenith) that are broken and cost of repair is more then buying used one online. I don't know still why i bought mechanical watch

> Rare as hen's teeth 4mhz digital watch
Good luck

I have a citizen bm8180, which is great, except for one problem.
It's keeping extremely accurate time, except that twice now, the minute hand seems to have drifted from where I set it. I'm very careful to set it exactly in the middle of the correct index with the second hand in the 12 position. It will be fine for a while. But a few days later the minute hand will have drifted so that when the second hand hits the 12 position it is between indices. But the second hand is still perfectly accurate, so I don't think it's losing or gaining time.
Any one know why this would be? I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem.

I'm watching you chuju

i have one too. that's just how cheaper watches are.

Fuck off Courier

Are you always setting in the same direction (i.e., clockwise, or counterclockwise)?

Well, I mean, yea.
How else would people know to sell you watches?

>Fuck off Courier
rude

Any dealers or small stores in San Francisco that any user would recommend?

Still, avatar fagging like yours belongs on /soc/

>those retarded hands

>solar
stop

>>those retarded hands
That seiko lume has saved my life while diving more than once friendo

if you put yourself in a situation where not having bright lume could kill you then you really need to be retrained and recertified.

>if you put yourself in a situation where not having bright lume could kill you then you really need to be retrained and recertified.
Why do you think they even have lume non diving friendo?

F-91w has saltwater resistance, went swimming in the ocean with it for over an hour and it was still fine.

Don't you use a Suunto? What possible situation could you get into where the lume of a watch will save your life underwater? Asking for a friend..

>Don't you use a Suunto? What possible situation could you get into where the lume of a watch will save your life underwater? Asking for a friend..
?

When you look at your watch and realize more time has passed than you felt had passed and you are running out of air

see when diving you have to bring your own air bc no gillz

Thank you, I understand that. But Sunnto Dive Computers are standard in many countries for diving...mechanical dive watches are a fail-safe, not a primary.

So, I gather then that you don't use a Suunto. You really should. I'm dead serious user...they'll save your life.

>Casoyio male

>DUDE SOY LMAO

Jesus. And how many poor bastards bought that quartz shitter because of it

i think only one or two retarded people.

That dude has legit mental problems.

I bet he reads my comment and thinks it's hilarious. That I just don't get his supreme sense of humor.

>and for 500 because it never sells for 200 despite dozens sold for 200 and none at 500

lol that'w oudl of been awesome in the 90's

Ah yes, the genius that paid $600 for one and then $450 for another to "offset the cost" of the first one

What is Thomas's email to buy Seagulls?

Check the WUS thread...they'll have the most up-to-date contact info.

Which one are you going to get?

the second one was an investment

What is the thread? I didn't know there was more than one ...

Probably this one?
forums.watchuseek.com/f72/1963-chinese-air-force-style-watches-thomas-others-821627.html

I've never had contact with him though, but his reputation is sterling.

Nomos risked a ~10 million Euro investment in developing the capacity to manufacture their own escapements and design and manufacture their own clean sheet movement designs to try and overcome this issue in a product driven way. Time will tell if the strategy is workable in the current marketplace.

I think if synergies align they could subserviently disrupt the horological space

Well, /r/Watches has nearly a quarter of a million subscribers...

Are you fucking retarded?

I think it will play out in their designs more than their capability.
What percentage of their watches overlap in customer base? 90+%?
And what percentage of people looking for watches want their minimalist styling?
Their watches fight with each other for the same market. Ideally they need to broaden their market while not alienating and forgetting their current market.

>paying 600 for a solar watch

NEW

wtc?

Yes but this is the first watch I've owned so I can't say I didn't set it counterclockwise at some point when I first got it.