Do you guys like the direction that Windows 10 is going?

Do you guys like the direction that Windows 10 is going?

KDE v2

no because Windows XP still looks amazing today
also I'm posting this from a Windows XP vm, since the only windows xp computer near me that I can get to is my grandma's Pentium 4 computer. Which has enough stuff to keep me going, and probably powerful enough too.

It looks like shit my man

If you have a Thinkpad, I believe there are still drivers.

They still haven't fixed the fact that there's like 6 different context menu styles and they all look like shit

Needs more transparent layers

No, windows 7 was literally perfect design, everything after was a step in the wrong direction.
Look at these buttons for example. It's clear that they're buttons, made to be clicked. You easily see the total clickable area.
Windows 10 has these tiny shitty arrows instead because everything has to be minimal now. Like it shouldn't even be used by humans.

I would say that looks good, but then I would be ignoring the fact that windows 10 behaves like a donkey ate 3 operating systems and then shat out all the worst parts of each one.

this is the most important thinf in my opinion, cant believe the explorer still looks like winxp

>Windows 10 has these tiny shitty arrows
what arrows?

These tiny faggot arrows man. I don't blame you if you can't even see them, that's just my point.
Windows 7 was built to be functional, W10 to look slick.

Windows 7 design can't be scaled
Back then every PC display was 96dpi
Now there are many displays with high resolutions and different dpi
The assumption that everyone will use 96dpi displays isn't true anymore
And this is why Windows 7 design isn't appropriate, it's too gaudy and too hardcoded

Notice how in OP's image every element is procedurally generated

Besides I think the best looking Windows was Windows 8.1

>Windows 7 was built to be functional
with all that glossy glass?
no
Win7 was built to be the most aesthetic looking OS of all time
and they succeeded

I don't care about looks. I care about updates and more processes running in the background than on a windows 95 connected to the internet without any protection

I doubt the UI scaling works everywhere though. I remember some elements in W10 that still used the standard amount of pixels and as such were really tiny, like the console window inside Pycharm.
And some windows applications like the calculator were pixelly because they just doubled in size without any upscaling.
Desktop OS's like Windows and MacOS have roots too deep to be able to adept to any resolution. If they wanted good scaling it should have been added from the ground up, as was done with Android for example.

It's because of all those colors that it's functional. You can clearly differentiate different areas in a window because they all have different background colors and gradients.
Look at the background in W10. It's all fucking white with a bunch of text and icons seemingly scrambled everywhere. It gives me fucking headaches.

the industry has too many fucking designers. if you hire designers, you're doing it wrong. you get shit like the cancer youtube re-skin, which is regressive in almost every aspect. developers should be skilled enough in UX to make a good UI.

they should make it even worse

>They still haven't fixed the fact that there's like 6 different context menu styles
They have, for the most part, though.
Right-clicking the taskbar now gives you a win10 style menu, for example.

The look is fine, the UX is shitty. Buttons have the material design shit where you can't tell that they're buttons and they completely missed the point of Fitt's law.

/gd/ here, no. It looks like a deviantArt theme I had installed in 2006.

macOS looks like one I've installed in that era as well.
Can only do limited shit in design, eventually it all repeats itself.

Yes if chrome gets this sort of makeover as currently chrome for Windows is complete shit especially the touchpad drivers

I need to see the design language enforced to in various apps like MATLAB or CAD

This is the sole reason MacBooks are superior

>iToy
>superior
In your dreams iSoyfag

All I wish for is consistency in design.

Cred Forums has literally degraded substantially these past couple of years, no memes about it

This sort of thing used to be just for a joke but it's now serious discussion

>compares a laptop to an operating system
leave kiddo, this place isn't for you

I've noticed this also

Which operating system do you use on a MacBook, in the majority of the cases?

You'd be surprise.

You can't make this argument still because the hardware on these devices windows or not is always optimized for a certain OS, especially when talking about two finger scrolling and touchpad usage which is the main advantage MacBook have these days

Nu-Applefags are just the worst.
Are you seriously arguing with
>What's a mouse?
now?

Let's be real they'll never get it implemented consistently at OS scale or even close to that. It's microsoft still. We'll have the win95 file picker for centuries to come.

>not using mouse side buttons

It's aero but flat

Absolutely not. Win81 was better than 10 by a long shot.

>Win7 was built to be the most aesthetic looking OS of all time
Close, but not quite there.

Holy shit i just love that C O R P O R A T E looking

i hate how they're making it optimized for touch screens, so it's the same UI even if you aren't using a touchscreen. i like my icons and such to be as tiny as possible.
also they make all their UI stuff in powerpoint lmao

Looks like some shitty Powerpoint "OS" from 2012.

God I'd still is XP if I could...

That fucking perfect OS design.

it looks like a kids toy

You can switch to classic in Win7. You will have no dwm though.

xp looked like a child's toy, you're welcome to live in the mobile ecosystem of today if that's what you liked

2000 was peak function of design

>Powerpoint
Funnily enough, this is what Microsoft pajeets actually use to design the Windows UI nowadays

Windows 2000 was Microsoft's last OS designed for business use. XP and beyond was targeted toward home users and it really shows in how inconsistent everything is.
>You will have no dwm though.
Which perfectly emulates old Windows, complete with screen tearing.

Win2k here. Windows 7 is a faggot.

looks fine, but I don't like how win10 behaves

It looks like they pretend I've got nothing better to do with my resources than glossy and half-transparent GUI and such.
The worst thing is, it is the direction where every major GUI goes. It's really hard to get working out-of-the-box GUI without such jingles and whistles.

XFCE exists

I really wish they'd aim to be lightweight above all else. But that is not realistic.
I find the UX choices to be the problem.
They now have 3 levels of indirection to get to ncpa.cpl if you naively use their interface for handling networks.
First is the weird metro-looking settings interface. Second is the dumb useless centralized view that will never tell you the information you needed. The third is a list of your network interfaces.
Which while it's needlessly poor is the best you can expect on windows.

This is reflected in every single instance of the OS. The only place they break this pattern is to make things worse.

For some reason hitting winkey+E takes entire seconds for something that took less time than it takes for me to reposition my hand from reaching the windows key (I don't have tiny hands, I just don't have a thumb in the middle of my hand) to the normal typing position.

I'm tempted to only use the terminal but the windows terminal is too shit for that and using cygwin just doesn't make sense because I don't own all the computers.

It's an impressive fuckup. It's difficult to understand how a group can make something so much worse.

I wish it gained more attention from devs and funds

>owning overpriced gayman mause

It's not 2006 anymore. Even a cheap $15 mouse has side buttons after everyone realized how useful they were for web browsing.

Hell yeah! I expect it to die in 5-7 years. But what it definetly needs to speed up the process is:
More telemetry
More blur
More phone-like ui

>implying we won't be doing everything on our phones in 5-7 years

wrong.