What do you think about Rust? Is it ready to replace c and c++?

What do you think about Rust? Is it ready to replace c and c++?

Other urls found in this thread:

marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=151233345723889&w=2
play.rust-lang.org/?gist=11b8cb9088b0f8c36048a54ee293f537
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What are the improvements it offers?

the CIA niggers are terrified of losing their buffer overflow exploits

Looks even more disgusting than C++

what font?

>What do you think about Rust?
good
>Is it ready to replace c and c++?
not yet

I just don't get some syntax choices. The slim and fat arrows have no real meaning and are at very specific places where colon (or nothing) could do the job. Closure syntax differs from function/method syntax which differs from return value syntax. Wonder if macros syntax could be made more readable.
I don't believe borrow checker needs to be in compiler. It can be external tool working with IR or AST for validation and keep move semantics in language syntax. Anyway I wonder if the ownership and exclusive mutability guarantees can in Rust provide the same level of optimizations as Fortran or restricted pointers in C. Would be disappointing if not.
It won't replace C because C is highly standardized language with fairly simple specifications, thus is THE language for easy porting on new platforms. Because of the massive beasts in Rust's compiler toolchain and quite moving specs this isn't the signature attribute Rust would have. C++? Not sure neither. It replaces C++ STL very well but for really competing with C++ it needs to provide the same frameworks for high performance computing, clustering, graphics and so on.

It won't replace either of them because as soon as you need speed, or lower memory usage, or interacting with the raw CPU, you have to rewrite in C/C++ and you're back to square one.

>the massive beasts in Rust's compiler
Can you elaborate? Are beasts like bugs that got irradiated and mutated?

You don't know what you're talking about.

>Implying Rust isn't faster and safer than C++ already

No, it's not.

marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=151233345723889&w=2

There will always be a tradeoff between speed and safety, Rust is safe instead of speed

Is that why Java is faster than C, brainlet?

It's not safe either. Memory errors in no less than 10 lines:
play.rust-lang.org/?gist=11b8cb9088b0f8c36048a54ee293f537

>or interacting with the raw CPU
what is redox?

i'm no programmer, but rust does look pretty nice. haven't tried it. is it worth learning?

>instead of speed
It's comparable with C++ in benchmarks though.

No
Learn python instead

It's a meme language
Every decade one language can ascend to be the most powerful, in the 70s it was C, in the 80s it was C++, in the 90s it was Java, in the 2000s it was Go, Rust missed it's change

>Rust is safe instead of speed
Rust didn't save you from writing this sentence though.

>70s it was C, in the 80s it was C++, in the 90s it was Java, in the 2000s it was Go, Rust missed it's change
what about the 2010s, or the upcoming 2020s?

i'd wait until you don't need unsafe for doubly linked lists.

This is true,
I've been even getting along with C++ and now happens this

Rust came out the same time as Go and never got used

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

already know python, hate it despite the versatility
damn, sounded promising.

rustc is very big and complex
rustc's only backend is llvm
llvm is very big and complex
cargo is least portable piece in whole toolchain, even some alternative linux distros had issues making it work
RedoxOS is a nice example how hard it is to port Rust's toolchain on new platform even if targeting Rust since beginning.

Underrated post.
While Theo is indeed acting like a butthurt baby in 1/3rd of the post, he has some very good points:
- cost (time, robustness) of adding Rust to the OS build process
- platform support (e.g. i386 can't bootstrap)
These are just not use cases that Mozilla is optimizing their (and let's not pretend it'd survive without them) language for
At least for the time being, it has some significant costs. Which, to be fair, may not be an issue for other projects, but some projects can't in good conscience accept them.

Also OpenBSD amd64 is Tier 3 platform for Rust - without full support and crazy amount of patching to make it work. Putting this into base would be madness.

>Every decade one language can ascend to be the most powerful
>in the 2000s it was Go

>the most powerful
>Go
stay on your meds m80

It's a nice hobby project to be kept in an experimental branch off the main repo,.
Thinking they can just swing on by and try to pottering their new autism focus down the obsd community's throats won't win them a lot of friends though.