WHY THE FUCK IS EMMC A THING ON LAPTOPS???

WHY THE FUCK IS EMMC A THING ON LAPTOPS???
Just shove in whatever shit drive you have as long as I can replace it. Why cuck me with just 32 gigs of storage on what would otherwise be a pretty damn nice little laptop.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pi2Ri9-K3_E
amazon.com/gp/product/B0746NCNSG
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This
It really sucks too because newer CPUs are better in every way than the old c2ds that Cred Forums shills 24/7, but the IO on these newer shitboxes is just balls.

Those are laptops for poorfags or retarded millenials that only rely on teh cloud and streaming garbage.
Why are YOU even checking those laptops?

because you're looking at a bottom-of-the-barrel "laptop" that's meant to access cloud services and be as cheap as possible?

it's a device for facebook whores and office ladies

>pretty damn nice little laptop.
That's not a Thinkpad, user.

did you try to install gentoo?

I just want a cheap openbsd/linux machine that isn't a 500lbs thinkpad.
I own 12 thinkpads, but they're all useless outside my room.

cuz emmc is faster than most other super cheap options, if you want super cheap, you shouldn't care. Save a few more paychecks from mcdonalds and you will be happier.

Then just try to get those laptops with "FreeDOS". Those are like 60 dollars cheaper than their Windows versions.

Alpha Litebook

Microshit made it so that you generally can't find those on amazon or in retailers in the US.

You don't have to be a poorfag to realize that paying over 400 bucks for a laptop is a complete fucking scam

used hp probook 640 with haswell M is like 150
you can buy a new fullhd screen for the remaining 50

Because that's tablet hardware in a laptop case.

sounds way too good to be true, what's the catch
probooks are trash with plastic hinges.
I don't care, just give me replaceable storage options. linux runs on fucking toasters.

No, they are for people who pull down the photos and videos from their tablets and phones onto USB HDDs.

that celeron is slower than almost all c2d cpus

>Those are laptops for poorfags
No. And that's why I personally find the whole line of Chromebooks stupid. There's similarly priced laptops with 128 GB SSD's available.

>what's the catch
Weak CPU. All "N" (Pentiums and Celerons) Intel CPUs are shit. Build quality is poor since it's all plastic. The default OS is shit.
Other Alpha laptops are significantly better, but cost 2-3 times as much. But at least they don't feel like Chinese off the shelf shitware.

>what's the catch
32 Bit UEFI

Nah
It has hardware decoding that the old chips don't have, and much better igpus
Don't fall for /tpg/ memes
I thought that wasn't an issue for linux anymore?

ouch

>dual core atom
you're already cucked.

>I thought that wasn't an issue for linux anymore?
you thought wrong. Semi recently had to compile some custom version of grub just to get to the boot select menu and it still wouldn't boot beyond that

*not the same laptop but same 32 bit UEFI situation

quad core is minimum for atom shit.

so I wouldn't be able to just drop debian or arch on it?
a 1080p screen for that price is pretty nice

Cred Forums doesn't shill Core 2 Duos at all. If you're thinking about ThinkPads, then the ones Cred Forums recommends have Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge CPUs in them that still outperform every single fucking Chromebook today. The C2D ThinkPads are collector's pieces or Tranny"Damn CIA niggers"Boot laptops.

This is what I'm using
it was 50 bucks with shipping and I like it, but I would like an option that doesn't weigh 500lbs and has battery life for more than 2 hours.
I might just buy that xiaomi air thing.

>celeron
>4gb ram
It's a device for grannies who can't into tablets but still want to keep up with the internet.

Only on baytrail

I think I actually have that laptop, or a very similar model.

It is absolute garbage. (I only use it as a test platform)
But what can you expect for $200?
Using an EMMC is just one way of cutting costs.

It is tablet but with a normal user interface.

Not true, otherwise I'd have wanted a successor of my asus.
Btw: These 11 inch devices tend to have exceptionally great screens. They have a significantly higher PPI than usual displays, which makes text look great.

>laptops with "FreeDOS". Those are like 60 dollars cheaper than their Windows versions.

Microsoft charges manufacturers just $10-$20 for a Windows install.

Those shitbooks are the reason Macbooks are so popular:

>Why should I spend $1500 on a Windows laptop? I'll just buy this for $200, it's the same thing.
>Oh this crap is awful: shit trackpad, shit keyboard, shit screen, terrible plastic build, yuck!
>OK, after 6 months it broke so I'm buying a $2200 Macbook Pro now.
>WOW! this is so much better! I could never go back to my old Windows laptop!

dumb people are dumb
color me not surprised

u mind uploading the background? pretty tight

Because its cheap and supported with an on die controller on the atom shitbox cpus they use. I wouldn't mind a laptop that runs off of a ufs card.

The C2D only has slightly better IPC, uses much more power, has a much worse GPU, etc.

>I wouldn't mind a laptop that runs off of a ufs card.
Because you've never used one.
The emmc solution uses an all-in-one solution for the CPU and chipset: SDIO. It connects all I/O like network, USB, flash memory and microSD cards at once and replaces PCI-E in these tablets/notebooks/netbooks/eeebooks. This means the msd controller is slow as shit (4-5mb/s read/write, even with fast msd) and the performance underwhelming.
Intel never fixed it because they stopped developing atoms. The slow ass shit ones in OP are the quickest there are.
You can't even watch youtube in HD anymore with it due to VP9, kek. h264 decoder useless.

HEY GUYS

>Intel
Then just give me a SD835 one :^)

full force is not needed

>le bigger number on my ancient labtob cpu = better

>32GB storage
>Windows 10

Lolwut? So the base OS install takes up 90% of it right?

The irony is that amount of space is fine if you use GNUshit instead of shitdows, see chromebooks for a good example of how to ship a minimal OS that still manages to be useful

So Autist Austin can make another shitty video about it? Also, he said it was $188...fucking lying retard.

youtube.com/watch?v=pi2Ri9-K3_E

I don't know about you, but I get much higher write and read speeds than that on my baytrail tablet

Different faggot but I've been considering getting a 2 in 1 gulag book or similar laptop to use in place of an iPad. Something I could easily keep in the kitchen to display my recipe or control music I'm listening to without taking up too much space.

Same here. If I do bite the bullet, I'm planning on installing GalliumOS on it the second it comes.

Have an N22 with galliumos on it. Pretty comfy.
>16 gigs flash (lol)
>4GB RAM
>n3050
>11.6"
>quite durable
>carrying handle
>14 hour battery life
>reasonably light
>fanless

Overall pretty comfy, nut pain in the ass to take apart to get to the security screw (need to overwrite BIOS). The metal support plate for the keyboard is used as a heatsink lol.

If you get a chromebook for galliumos, check compatability first. Also, the keyboard has no delete key.

amazon.com/gp/product/B0746NCNSG

I bought one of these as a secondary laptop. Arch linux runs great on it and haven't noticed performance issues. Can watch 1080p videos on jewtube and 1080p chinese cartoons.

install gentoo

I got Debian live CD working on mine but if I install it, it won't boot past grub.
Windows 7 installator doesn't work either.
Fedora runs on those shitboxes quite nicely but I don't like this distro in particular.
This is true though senpai. Im plugging in my kb/mouse/HDD and have energy efficient shitposting machine with great display for animus.
T. Toshiba satellite user.

They want you to you their 'cloud' storage so they can index and steal all of your data.