/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>R3 1200/1300X or R5 1400/1500X ARE SUPERSEDED BY THE R3 2200G AND R5 2400G, BUT UNLESS YOU BUY A COMBO YOU'LL LIKELY NEED TO HAVE THE BIOS UPDATED
>G4560 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 2200G - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM) or for gaming WITHOUT a graphics card
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

de.pcpartpicker.com/product/njp323/gskill-memory-f43200c16d8grb
de.pcpartpicker.com/product/fDx9TW/gskill-memory-f43200c16d8grk
pcpartpicker.com/user/GravyBeard/saved/ZqqM8d
pcpartpicker.com/user/GravyBeard/saved/YkVqsY
techspot.com/article/1578-amd-raven-ridge-reserved-memory-explainer/
pcpartpicker.com/list/4FWWGG
thebottlenecker.com/
pcpartpicker.com/list/QTP2Ft
pcpartpicker.com/list/pFbFfH
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/8WtcCb
ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/Q4ndnQ/crucial-ballistix-sport-lt-8gb-2-x-4gb-ddr4-2666-memory-bls2k4g4d26bfsc
ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/TgW9TW/seasonic-power-supply-m12ii520bronze
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/bxKypG
pcpartpicker.com/list/HqzzKB
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What's the Cred Forums approved way to choose a PSU?

Just a friendly reminder that getting a refurbished office PC with a 3rd or 4th gen i5(i7 if you get a lucky find) and 8-16gbs of ram is the absolute best deal poorfags can get right now.

All you gotta do is throw in a low profile 1050ti.

This kid has a better rig than you.

20% more max-supply than what your components need.

Yeah no. Refurbished office PCs don't have Asus motherboards

Beggars can't be choosers, you dumb fuck

You can look up reviews with a lot of technical details, like smoothness of power delivery, but that's usually not necessary

Personally I'd say get one with 2x 6+2 pin connectors and 550W (approximately), possibly semi modular depending on your needs.

What GPU should I get?

A 1050 ti for casual gaming

Or a 1060 3gb for VR?

Also, is VR even fucking worth it?

>SLI
eh.

VR isnt worth it and 3GB isn't going to cut it. 6GB or don't bother.

3GB is fine for 1080p. VR is a personal decision

At current prices I'd get a 1050 or a used 970, or even stick with a 2200G until new cards come out and prices decrease.

Ryzen 5 2600 spotted in Geekbench 4 benchmark. again the clocks are raised only by 0.2GHz and you shouldn't expect more. so that gives us around ~10% performance boost, which is excatly what AMD said. coffee lake will still pull ahead in gayming though.

>inb4 'i-it's just an e-engineering sample'
no it's not. we never saw any zen engineering samples in benchmarks and getting hyped for 4.5GHz, when amd themselves said it won't happen, is just retarded.
it's only a small process change so stop expecting more. myself i'm more interested in better memory support and i hope b450 mobos won't be as awful as b350.

>>G4560

Reminder to less informed people that lurk here for advice to not fall for this cancerous meme and to not buy a dual core cpu in current year.

anyone know of a good motherboard for a terabyte of DDR3?

Need advice on a new monitor, have a 1080Ti still getting RMA'd and a 960 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2 512GB on the way.

>a terabyte of DDR3

forgo picture.

doing it for hardware class
my professor has a hard-on for running hundreds of VMs at once while being able to open a couple chrome tabs

>stick with a 2200G

Do any motherboards properly support it yet?

I can't be bothered going through all the grief of carting the mobo around to shops or whatever, just to get the bios updated

You could get this for a little more
de.pcpartpicker.com/product/njp323/gskill-memory-f43200c16d8grb
If the color is a big deal there's also this
de.pcpartpicker.com/product/fDx9TW/gskill-memory-f43200c16d8grk

Stick to the reputable brands, use a PSU calculator online to find what your min wattage will be and shoot past that by 10-20%. Think ahead for possible upgrades, will you go SLI/Xfire in future, put in more HDDs? Take that into account in your original spec.

PNY
1080p TN monitors
bad cable management

It's something niche right now still, you won't find yourself playing a lot inside of VR, you'll do the majority of your gaming with a normal screen and hop to VR for some cool experiences. It is extremely compelling, but expensive for what it is right now. You'll likely need a better card for a decent VR experience.

Reminder that the Define r5 is the last good Fractal Design case, r6 is almost twice as expensive as a result of packing useless gayming features like a vertical GPU slot.

Repostin:

I need help deciding between those 2. Usage is sql server, visual studio and gaymen (fallout series). I have U2417H display, so FHD.

For the same money where I live I can have:

Dell Inspiron 7577, i5-8300, 8GB Ram, GTX 1060 MQ, 256 SSD, Win 10 Pro

or

i3-8100, asus z370-i, 16GB Ram (Goodram 2x8 2400MHz), 512GB Plextor m.2 SSD, Strix 1050TI, Seasonic 550W Focus Gold Plus, Fractal Nano S

I kinda like the mobility and stronger GPU on the laptop (I travel every 2 weeks for 2-4 days and I take my current laptop with me), but pc seems better.

Personally I'd say desktop, but if you want the mobility obviously laptop

>Do any motherboards properly support it yet?
You'd have to search the internet for reports or contact mobo manufacturers

One of the 1440p 144Hz VA panels in the OP pcpartpicker

Depends on usage

>good
>Fractal Design
pick one

why are they even releasing it?

yeah just buy AMD APU anons
2200G or 2400G

I'm actually considering it, just for fun/practice

>why are they even releasing it?
because it's still more progress than skylake to kabylake.

Just finished my build last night. Have been monitoring temps. The GPU got up to around 70 and the CPU was around 60 just while playing pubg. I went and cranked all fans and its fine but shouldnt my CPU regulate the fans as needed? Is there any downside to cranking all the fans up when I'm playing vidya?

Noise

DH15. Thing is quiet. Is there a program that lets me control fan speeds without going into my bios?

I need help with a build. All of the custom gaming PC build sites are ridiculously expensive, especially with crypto hoarders hoarding 1070s/1080s.

I'm looking to spend $1500 USD. Don't need monitors, keyboard, mouse, or headphones (I have those covered). Just want to get something that I can casually game with and play some MOBA's/MMO's while watching a stream or a movie on my other monitor.

Any help would be appreciated.

Agreed. My case. Everything else today is for teenagers.

>seal out the monitor
>scratch it with the HDMI cable
it's a 2mm mark, maybe even less, but fuck me, is there any way to """"fix"" it? I mean, I tried on older monitors with toothpaste but it doesn't look like it werks, there is no difference at the end

How long do PSU's last?
I've had mine for like at least 3 years I think. It runs fine I was just wondering when it would start to die out.

i got the nano s,

bretty gud case

Add on: should I really be seeing temps of mid 40's to low 50's under half load with a DH15 at full speed?

Ladfams let me tell you the story of trying to get my FUCKING 2400g to work with this gigabyte NIGGER motherboard

>buy 2400g and gigabyte AB350N-Gaming ITX
>Newegg sends me the cucked version that I have to flash myself
>spend 30 minutes flashing the bios with my 1700x
>finally get 2400g in
>doesn't turn on
>after 2 hours find out it will only turn on with one stick of ram in the right slot
>literally soft bricks itself if you try to get the second stick of ram in
> drive an hour to microcenter and get the same parts again because I assumed both were a lemon
>what could go wrong.jpg
>despite new board being pre flashed it still was a huge piece of shit and would not work with any fucking ram
>look at reviews for my board and everyone else is having the same problem
>spend a day reading which board actually works
>the BASED Asus B350M-E mATX
>next day go back another hour to microcenter and exchange gigashit board for an asus
>it's not desktop 2000 ready but flash it myself
>plug in 2400G
>it LITERALLY just works
>on second inspection, RAM QVL list for raven ridge on the gigabyte is nonexistent and the ram QVL list for the based ASUS is like 11 pages

DO NOT BUY A FUCKING GIGABYTE BOARD HOOOOOOLY SHIT

if you are getting one of these ryzen APUs and you don't get an Asus board from the get go you will ruin your weekend like I did. Kill me PETE

uhh maybe get yourself an 2400G and a cheap 1050 ?
buliding PC right now is ridiciolous because prices of GPU and RAM are insane
honestly i'd rather hodl on and wait than buy anything
but if you wanna make new PC rihgt now then as i said getting and 2400G and a cheapest GPU would be best
of course you will have to reduce settings to 1080 but that's best thing now

Asus makes the best motherboards I've been telling Cred Forums this for ages but they've all been shilling for gigabyte lately

Asus>>>>asrock>POWER GAP>>>>MSI>>>>>>>shit of mysteries past tier >>>>>gigabyte and Biostar

why did you get a ryzen APU if you have a 1700x and a GPU already

For another build

Get cancer, corporate tool.

oh

what's up with asus shills holy shit they are in every /pcbg/ thread

Yeah but he's an upper class white kid so it's not like he worked for it or anything.

for motherboards go for asus/asrock or biostar
biostar "just werks" and asus and asrock are top

>SLI titans for minecraft

Would you even be able to tell the difference between what my single 1080ti would do in such a low demand game? It's like the difference between 6 million and 12 million fps in the Oregon trail.

wow it's almost as if his parent gave him the gpus to pose with so losers on the internet would feel jealous. he doesnt even have space on the wall for them.
also it's photoshopped. the original has normal gtx 1080s, not the ti.

Asus just works and they generally have the best support and BIOS. Compare the Asus uefi bios to the abortion that is the MSI bios

I don't care about the pic I was honestly wondering if dual titans would make the difference.

Wanting to do a small PC for LAN parties and travel. Should I build or wait for Raven Ridge laptops?
Here's some parts I was looking at to get started
pcpartpicker.com/user/GravyBeard/saved/ZqqM8d
If I go with building I will likely be using an old, 24" 720p IPS monitor, and I think that will give me some headroom on the limited power of an APU. No tight budget, but I'd like to save money where I can, trying to keep things under 900 USD, but I can always spend more :p

Here's my current build (most peripherals chosen on price range, not the specific model I own, I tried to get close tho)
pcpartpicker.com/user/GravyBeard/saved/YkVqsY

minecraft would benefit the most from being put on a RAMdisk, unless you're running 4k shaders or some shit.

all of b350 mobos are garbage and have shitloads of problems. personally i'm waiting for b450 or maybe i'll just go intel with h310

Daily reminder that building a pc right now is a bad decision.

Feels good having sold off my ryzen build and using a polished up e-waste machine as my main pc. I guarantee their are older machines and parts out there that fit your needs perfectly.

you were saying?

save some money and get just 8gb of ram. 16gb doesn't make that much of a difference.
source: techspot.com/article/1578-amd-raven-ridge-reserved-memory-explainer/

i know that raven ridge is now a hot meme but going i3-8100 and gtx 1050ti would crush it in gaming. pcpartpicker.com/list/4FWWGG

get rid of the g4560 recommendation, the 2200g is overall the better choice

What is the official PC case of Cred Forums?

didn't notice the SFX PSU. just go with Silverstone 450W. 2200g + 1050ti is also a valid choice with this build, though the 8100 is a little bit better in gayming.

A cardboard box for their poverty rig

Need some advice Cred Forums

I was given a bunch of computer stuff mostly motherboards and processors from late 90s early 00s. The nicest part was a core duo 2 with some OC motherboard and heatsink and 8gbs of ddr 2 pc800 ram. Is this worth building a computer around for a kid. I'd have to get a case, power supply, cd-rom, hd, and graphics card. Doing it on the cheap would it be a worthwhile venture? I feel like buying a shitty 2nd Dell would be more cost effective $400 for an old i7 all I would need is a graphics card. Shrug

the cheapest 1050ti on newegg now is $229, which is $80 more than that 1050 with $149. ironically, I don't trust other vendors other than amazon, which offers more expensive on graphic card. also, I've consider rx 560 but the cheapest one is $159 with 4gb, $10 more but slower than 1050, so I choose the 1050.

Should I pull the trigger I'm close by.

That 1050ti price is insane. I paid 270 for the EVGA 1060. I do like that build though, way more powerful than Raven Ridge APU. If I can that GPU for a reasonable price I'll pull the trigger on the rest

It's in stock so it's worth considering, but keep in mind I paid 270 USD for an EVGA 1060 6gb SC in November 2017

There's a lot of naysayers but you can do 4k on a 1080Ti, I do it on a regular 1080 in almost all my games with a few exceptions where I have to drop a 1-2 settings.

I genuinely believe the best gaming experience is in 4k right now, the fidelity increase over other resolutions cannot be overstated. Things like ultrawide and multi monitor are really just meme setups.

If you can afford a 4k IPS panel then go that route. A good long term investment.

I also had a 1080 strix back then which I stupidly sold and waited too long for a 1080ti. fuck me huh?

also also, 1050 ti is only about 10% better than 1050, but with the price on the market now, you're paying like 50% more for just 10% increase in performance. for a budget build, just go for 1050, even with msrp
just normal price nowadays. just do it if you don't wan to wait till price drop, but who the fuck knows when it will drop, probably never. buy it and enjoy, remember you can earn that money later and meanwhile you're enjoying your graphics card.

I had a 1GB NVidia card, it ran MC with a fucktonne of mods with near-best graphics settings at an average of 240 fps. Titans are fucking ridiculous.

should i just bite the bullet and buy RAM or be patient? kinda need more but the fucking price makes it hard to justify buying.

The R6 is an awesome case for a very reasonable price. The R6 is like £140 which in the world of PC cases is cheap as chips, being poor isn't an excuse to slam a product.

My 11gb titan averages 390fps on super ultra see forever settings and can handle gorillan tnt block explosions and I'm kinda morbidly curious just how high I could smash it with sli.

I went and bought 16gb of 3000mhz tired of waiting, picked up a new board and a 8700k oh well. hopefully it'll last me

I fucking love ketchup and mustard cables

I feel like this is a stupid question, but is it OK for a UPS to be upside down?

2 x 16gb or 4 x 8gb.

Does it matter? 3200 if that's relevant.

I think it depends heavily on the memory controller of you system

Me too.

Seriously though I didn't expect the new build to look this good compared to prior ones which just looked completely crap, so I might swap out some of those cables for nicer since the PSU is modular. It's so easy to make a tidy config in this case, the cable management is the best I've seen and the built in fan pwr hub is a really good addition.

get 2x8 so you can expand later

Often it's not, they're full of batteries which can be full of acid if it's a larger model, depending on how much power you need. Refer to the manual for such equipment, download it if you have to, could be very dangerous.

Not really. The only thing that matters is future upgrade path. If you're likely to want more RAM in future then always go for larger modules.

A 1060 will be bottlenecked by your 4690k. 4c/4t intel are stuttering mess in modern games, but probably not enough to see it much on a 960.

But your PC is good enough that you could wait for Zen+, b450 boards, and for GPU prices to come down.

correct

lmao

Yes but you should do it in a dot, not a sperm shape. You're going to get an air bubble trapped there between the head and tail.

Some motherboards have it enabled by default because they are shills manipulating benchmarks.

Both had the same exact problem? Are you sure they didn't send you back the same board?
That is an oddly specific problem to get twice.

Why does your friend hate you? O it's cause you're furry.

280 is generally better. 2 larger fans. Get real thick high CFM ones.
But air is almost always better.

awful

>I wanted insecure CPU
xd

I'd wait for the 2800X. Both will handle 100+fps 1440p gaming great, but I prefer the temps and platform of Ryzen.
But like the other user said, you don't need an 8 core for gaming. 6c/12t is probably going to be the sweet spot for a few years.

Seasonic is generally the best.
They make quality PSUs and they make them themselves.
Silverstone and some others are generally rebadged, more expensive Seasonic PSU. Though sometimes they have specific models you can't get through Seasonic due to contracts and are still worth buying.
Super Flower and some others have been making much better PSUs lately. Even newer Rosewills.

I do like the Corsair Link feature in higher end Corsair PSUs, but found them not worth it anymore due to falling behind on PSU quality while still being super expensive. Corsair Link also uses a lot of resources in the background doing nothing, even when I forgot to uninstall it after no longer using their PSU.

The 3GB 1060 is a piece of shit.

If you want to preorder and wait supposedly 3-4 weeks, you can get an RX580 for like $330.
That's pretty expensive, but you can still make a build with a 1TB SSD, 1600, and RX580 for that price you stated.
So it winds up being like $1200 instead of the $1000 it should if GPU and RAM were reasonably priced. Could be worse.

Do you not have a temporary GPU you could use while waiting for GPU prices to come down, and/or new GPUs to come out?

>Just want to get something that I can casually game with and play some MOBA's/MMO
I mean you could make a $470 2400G build to do this. It supports like 4 4k60fps monitors as long as your motherboard has the outputs for 4 4k60fps connections.

It does Overwatch at 60fps at 1080p, low with high textures.

Yes it matters, but you're missing variables.
2 dual rank DIMMs is definitely the best.
4 SR is second best.
Don't do 4 DR.

OP you should make a note on the copy pasta that VR is retarded and buying an expensive GPU to participate in the VR chat meme is autistic. VR, in its current, consumer form, will never be a favorable experience over a controller and m&k with high res, high fps gameplay.

If you have a system powerful enough to have high res, high fps gameplay shouldn't you have a system powerful enough to run VR?

Won't really fit compared to more important things.
If people want to waste money on VR, that's fine. It drives the market to create improvements to the point that it's eventually worth buying for people with discerning taste.

VR cockpits are fun
VR first person games are shit

thebottlenecker.com/

Does this offer at least a overall measure on bottlenecking parts?

Fair enough, I just hate to see people motivated by VR getting into pc building. They're going to be so disappointed

What case fans should I get?

3D shitposting in VR chat is extremely entertaining. Not worth it alone to build a pc for but it's sure as shit worth the money to spend hours just laughing with strangers on the internet.

>thebottlenecker.com/
Not really. It doesn't account for programs running in the background which is where 4c/4t really suffer hard.
It seems to mostly just pick out extreme outliers .
And it doesn't take into account memory clockspeeds which is a huge, huge bottleneck with all the current gen CPUs.
It also doesn't take into account SSD speed. Some SSDs are real garbage.

It also recommends you get the absolute best GPU for your CPU (assuming you run nothing in the background), without considering the refresh rate of your monitor and such, if it's 1080p or 1440p, etc.

i wonder if this guy paid normal prices for those cards or did he also get screwed by the high prices.

i have a question, is the asus strix the best 1080ti?

No, there are enthusiast overclocking 1080Tis which are better like the MSI Lightning and EVGA Kingpin, iirc.

ROG Strix is probably one of the best *mainstream* ones, though.

My friend is selling a PC with he following specs

FX-8370
16GB RAM
2x TO 290 series.

Some pro level audio card, and an SSD.

He is asking for an offer. I have no idea what it's worth.

More than $200?

i've been living a lie a very expensive lie. how come everyone keeps saying the asus one is the strongest?

>fx
aw man, i remember the memes amd did with this cpu, in the end the updates did "save: it, still...

>MSI Lightning
Christ look at the thic heat sin

people should not buy a GPU right now, ampere is coming and miners will start selling their 1080 tis to try to get those new ones.

>ampere is coming
user...

they have to fucking release it they cant just keep selling us nerfed 1080s and calling them something else damn it.

this is all AMDs fault for being SHIT

anyone with info on how well the 2400g and 2200g compare when both have their GPU's overclocked? I've been lookin online but I have had trouble finding a direct comparison for when they're both pumped up the maximum

18.5 inches 1360 x 768 @ 60Hz. Yeah, I staying at 720p for now. Already bought the parts, which are:

Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H
Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 2400mhz DDR4 (x2)
Asus GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
i5 7400
Seagate 3TB 3000gb 7200rpm
Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case

It is kinda of a rush upgrade job, since my 8 year PC's Mobo cannot function properly anymore, at least I can savage the newer Alpine 11 GT Rev. 2, DVD drive and power supply from it.

It's a hard thing to quantify precisely because what system component is a bottleneck depends entirely on what applications you're running and what load they put on each component is.

Games are a classic example of something that uses a lot of both and it differs wildly from game to game. It also depends on other factors like what screen resolution you use, you'll almost be always GPU limited if you run 3x1 monitor config with 4k screens.

You have to be super careful about averages this is one case where it doesn't mean an awful lot, only in an extremely broad sense, it wont inform any 1 specific task well.

Latest rumors are nvidia will not announce any new products at GDC or GTC this year.
Also it's all smartphones fault for buying out all of the ram.

Guys, how much does CAS latency matter?

For example, if I were to get 3200 mhz 14 cas over 16 cas, how much or how little would it impact performance for gaming and/or video editing?

Trying to find meaningful benchmarks, but everyone's just explaining what latency is, nobody's comparing this shit for some reason... Is lower latency just a meme?

>want to buy the Ryzen 1700x
>have to buy a new motherboard and RAM as well
NOBODY SAID IT WAS EASY

sigh, i fucking hate this timeline. if its not miners its the fucking ram.

can you even find good prices anymore? i hear EVGA has cards at normal msrp but you need to post 100 comments on their forums.

As far as I know the 2200g comes very close to the 2400g when its GPU is overclocked, the 2400g does this but it isn't a major improvement. I'd say just get a 2200g and overclock the GPU, at that point it's nearly a 2400g.

What makes it better than its' predecessor?

use gddr3? at least for a while until you find a deal. 8gb should be cheap enough...
>checks prices

WHAT THE FUCK?!

shit im sitting on a gold mine.

depends on how much the price difference is, really. I don't know of any direct comparisons, but 16 to 14 isn't SO big that it justifies paying like 20% more.

Yeah I hear the 2200G is better value for pure gaming with overclocking, but if the 2400G has enough of an increase so as to handle terribly optimized games like PUBG at 1080p (which a stock 2400G really struggles with no matter the RAM speed) a little bit better, as well as have better video encoding speed, it may very well be worth it for me.

I haven't seen anything yet, mostly just synthetic numbers and some predictable fps benchmarks. I was also wondering how these would preform on a heavy OC. Although, I feel like there's a catch. These things gotta run hot, so you need a high end X370 mobo for stable clocks, and a high end water cooling solution. Probably should get some quality b-die ram too. My point is, you have to throw a lot of money at these APUs to get peak performance, and by then the price-to-performance ratio is poop. Say you get a R5 1400, B350 mobo, generic ram, and a discrete GPU. Around the same price range as a peak performance Raven Ridge build, with a better p2p ratio and less hassle.

The 2 290s alone are worth almost $200 each.

You could sell 1 of the 290s for like $150, and buy an i7 4770 and motherboard to use the same RAM. You'd have an amazing computer for like $350 total then.

That is legitimately the best "my friend has offered me" deal I've seen on /pcbg/ in like 100+ threads.

Why did you get an i5-7400...? Is it too late to return it?
The only Kabylake you should buy is the i5-7700 or 7700k and only if you get it plus the motherboard for like $250 or maybe $300 together.

NO WAY CURRYTECH RUMORS ARE FALSE?!?!??!?!!?!?11

Check out the Vega64 Red Devil

2400G overclocked gets bottlenecked by memory.
2200G overclocked scales very well and gets much closer to the 2400G than it is stock-vs-stock.

>2x TO 290 series.
?

>CURRYTECH
PCGAYNEWS actually

R9 200 series. 4gb ram. I think they are only 270 tho. Waiting on complete specs

> Is it too late to return it?

Maybe, let me check the prices here for the 7700...

>it's price is higher than all of these combined

...yeah, no. As I said, it was a a bit of a rush job, but I did double check stuff. I was actually *THIS* close on buying a 7100 instead.

Also, local currency here is not dollars. Importing is out of question due to taxes.

If it's not a 280 or better, it's probably not worth it.
If it's a 280 or 280X, you can one those for $100+ I think.

Why did you buy Kabylake in 2017, let alone 2018, at all?
>Also, local currency here is not dollars. Importing is out of question due to taxes.
Oh.
Is a 1600 or 1500X build that much more expensive?

Boys chasing a little bit of advice on what i can do to squeeze a little more out of my system. Possible upgrades ect.
Specs
> Gigabyte GTX 1080Ti Xtreme Edition
> i7-8700K
> Asus ROG X Hero Board
> 1TB Samsung 960 Pro SSD x2
> 32GB DDR4 G.SKILL Trident Z 3600mhz
> Corsair H150i Pro CPU Cooler
Running 2x 1920x1080 240hz screens.
Just trying to push as many frames as i can, if anyone can suggest anything i'd really appreciate it.

Delid

my motherboard only supports ddr3 (B75M-D3V) lmao

I would go for this
pcpartpicker.com/list/QTP2Ft
You could get a lesser case, PSU and GPU (in my opinion, some prefer Gigabyte) for a 1700
pcpartpicker.com/list/pFbFfH

after 144hz you get diminishes returns. water cooling with OC is your only choice but should you?

this is a guge gamble, you cant just get a ironing board and pray. more than likely you will blow it.

doesn't the 8700k also have problems with heating?

Not as bad. Its TIM seems to be better. But still pretty bad.

More or less even with 1500X, more expensive with 1600.

Overall, the cost is about triple of what I payed for my old pc 8 years ago (monitor included). but I need it for studying, and I dont want a worse machine for gaming.

so even after they reacted to ryzen they blew it. and now the "updated" ryznes will come in april making intel feel even more uncomfortable, think they will release a second CPU? i personally cant wait for an intel 8 core. thanks AMD. ll that needs to happen now is the entire bitcoin market to crash.

I've got it overclocked to 4.8 currently and i hit about 85 degrees under max load.
Is it worth buying one of the deliding kits off amazon or something and deliding?
CS is my main game and i get more then enough fps in that however there is a few other games i'd like to pull more frames in.
1 last question, is the 4k meme worth it?

Worse:
Intel rushed out Coffeelake knowing that NDA on the security vulnerabilities, which they knew of months prior, would be lifted just a few months after Coffeelake's release.

And they knew AMD couldn't say anything about Intel releasing a new insecure architecture, whose performance will be gimped by microcode and OS updates, without NDA violating the NDA themselves.

>1 last question, is the 4k meme worth it?
Well even a 1080Ti overclocked can't run the majority of AAA games from the past 5 years at 4k 60fps+. It struggles to maintain 30fps on some games which are poorly optimized for higher resolutions like GTAV.
You can do 4k 60fps in everything dropping down to medium settings, I think. And sometimes 4k medium looks better than 1440p high. But sometimes it doesn't. All games also don't support doing something like 1600p upscaled to 4k, which also sucks.

>2400G overclocked gets bottlenecked by memory.

This may be a dumb question, but what does this mean? You mean that no matter how much better the vega cores got, they'd not get any faster if the memory speed stays the same?

without AMD violating the NDA themselves*

that sounds illegal, laws are such a mess, always finding a way to screw over people.

DDR4 doesn't have as low latency and as much bandwidth as GDDR5 or HBM.
2200G and 2400G also have the same 16 ROPs.

Doesn't matter that the 2400G has higher compute performance if a game doesn't use it compared to the number of ROPs, and if there isn't enough memory bandwidth to feed the data that the CUs need.

The 2400G is better, but it's not the 37% better that having 37% more CUs would suggest. It's hard to justify the extra $70 when a 2200G and 2400G both at 3.9GHz CPU and 1600MHz GPU perform within like 5-15% in most cases.
The 2400G does have SMT and such, and you can get the same performance of the 2200G with the GPU clocked lower (and thus less hot), but yeah.
The 2400G is good, AMD just priced it so high and the 2200G so low.

Definitely not illegal in the USA.
But in the EU Intel is quite likely liable for something. They rushed out a product to market that they knew was defective and defrauded consumers.

Their penalty will probably be much less than the profit they made since Coffeelake seemed like pretty amazing performance compared to Ryzen before all the patches.

>i wonder if this guy paid normal prices for those cards or did he also get screwed by the high prices.

That pic is many months older than the current GPU mining crisis is, user.

The best 1080Ti is the EVGA FTW3. Gamers' Nexus did a review across all models and that was their conclusion.

how do i bluetooth?

Is 4k worth it though, as in looks wise ect. Or would i be better off getting a 34' widescreen 1440.

I have the mini C which I have no reason to ever change unless I go from Micro ATX to full.

>Got all but one FUCKING piece in the mail
>No ETA on last one
It's been a while I've had this feeling of frustrated anticipation

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/8WtcCb
I'm starting my first build from scratch. My priorities are programming/multitasking and some gaming. My budget is very flexible, up to $1300, but I want to spend cost-effectively while getting this build done in the next week so I'd rather not spend on a dGPU/RAM/SSD that I don't need or might not really want.
Can anyone point out any mistakes, improvements, or bottlenecks here?
I've also heard the 2400G is comparable to the significantly cheaper 2200G if I OC it, but won't that need a more expensive cooler/mobo? I'm not familiar with the process and don't want to wear down any parts faster than I have to anyway.

p.s. some of the parts are a bit more expensive than their counterparts but I'm planning on getting everything in one go at my local canadacomputers so that's a compromise I have to live with.

I know jack shit about this.

Should I do a 2x4 GB Ram double kit or should I go with a 2 GB Ram stick + an 8 GB Ram one?
A friend says do the second, but I don't really trust him about this and I thought it was better to install equal sticks.

Get one of the new asrock deskmini gtx, upgradable mini pc that comes with i5-8400 and gtx 1060 MQ for only 800$.

Don't trust your dumbass friend. It's probably fine as long as the timing (frequency) is the same but these systems are typically designed to have 2 or more of the same type of RAM...so don't fuck with what works.

Higher refreshrate is more important than going for a resolution that won't be feasibly driven by consumer parts for a couple of years, unless you're running some kind of mega workstation. I'm gonna try to get a couple 1440p144Hz IPS G-Sync monitors some time this year when a good sale comes along.

that's in amerikkkan dollars
see pic related
although I'm seeing results in CAD for a $190 CAD "upgradable chassis" that "supports adding" 6th gen intels if that's what you meant

Currently i have:
Gigabyte ga-h81m-h
Dual celeron
A shitty video card
Ram ddr3 4gb 1333
Greenpower 1tb
A normal case with no fans
And a shitty psu
This has been on use for like 3 years.
Should i upgrade this with an i5, a 1050ti, 4gb ram and a good psu? And if yes, what should i buy first?

thanks, I'll do so

honestly, the best thing to do at the moment is a platform upgrade.
Barring that, start with more ram. Then an i7, then a better PSU, than a better GPU

>its in american dollars
>what is international shipping
should only be extra 50$ at most
also check newegg.ca, maybe they have selling for canuck bucks

depends on what you want to do. you can do a ryzen and get a better GPU or go i5 and have the 1050ti. do what said about and do a platform upgrade

see pic related and previous pic related
I looked through the $800 lardland newegg posting and that one doesn't come with a CPU

just sold my 8350 rig with a BROKEN r9 380x for $350

Built a ryzen box 6 months ago
What would cause random graphical glitches every few seconds? Is my card faulty? I'm not a butt miner. Rx 580

how much does a used gtx 680 classified go for ? $160 sounds a bit steep

>white kid

Getting a b350 tomahawk would allow you to overclock for $7 more, I would go for this DDR4 kit and PSU
ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/Q4ndnQ/crucial-ballistix-sport-lt-8gb-2-x-4gb-ddr4-2666-memory-bls2k4g4d26bfsc
ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/TgW9TW/seasonic-power-supply-m12ii520bronze
If you were to spend $1300 I'd go with this
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/bxKypG

Fermi and Kepler are garbage and not worth anything.
Wouldn't even pay $50 for a 680. You're talking about a card that's probably slower in newer games than an RX560.

>ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/bxKypG
Why the full ATX board and case? Can save money with mATX board and case if you don't have a legitimate use planned ahead for all those PCI slots.

In most cases, there's often a good 1600+b350m combo which can save a good deal of money. Money that could be put toward a 1TB SSD.

He's getting from a local store because he's a cuck though, so I don't know.
Could also ask the manager for a discount for buying it all there at once, but options are still going to be limited.

Cheapest way to build a PC is to buy one component at a time as you see a good sale.

There aren't many good mATX Ryzen boards.

Has anyone here used the Fedex Delivery Manager to specify 5-8 PM delivery? Did it actually work or is it a scam?

B350 prime? Pro4?

But yeah, there isn't enough variety in good ones, or better ones. No x370 mATX either. But you don't need x370.

Hoping better mATX comes with zen+ :/

Would this be good for a moderate overclock on a 8600k?

Thanks for the advice anons and anonettes.
I have a couple considerations for going to a local store: getting the parts early and all at once as soon as I have my build selected, easy returns and exchanges of defective parts, and potentially them flashing a bios update onto a mobo if it's not ready to take a current gen ryzen. If that costs me up to fifty bucks, I don't really mind, given the worst case scenario for buying online would be waiting 2 weeks for a defective part, sending it back, and then waiting another 2 weeks for the replacement. It's time I'd rather not lose given my laptop's barely up to scratch for what I want to be doing atm. That said I'll look again if there's any cheap express shipping I can get, especially on something like the CPU or RAM. Would signing up for Amazon Prime Student be worth it?

As for suggestions including a ryzen 1600 I'm not sure how feasible that is for me. I'd have to pair it with a dGPU, if I get a cheap one then I'm paying a lot for the combo just to get a somewhat better CPU given the 2400G apparently has decent enough graphics, and if I get an expensive one then I'm burning money at crypto inflated prices for high def gaming that I don't really need that much.

The suggested mobo also does make me have to upgrade my case. There's a mATX MSI B350M Gaming Pro for $7 more, but it loses some memory slots and perks for the extra cost, so I'm not sure I really want to upgrade that much.

Also please tell me more about 1 TB SSDs. Is there even any use case to have that much more space over a 500GB SSD for the extra cost? If it's just loading games then I'm more than fine to wait longer for the prices to go down.

Do ITX boards all have the processor socket located in the same place?

I have an old HTPC barebone that I wouldn't mind reviving with a new mobo, and it comes with a fancy heatpipe cpu heatsink that pushes hot air right out of the case. As long as I pick a socket that's compatible with whatever heatsink the case has, I should be able to use any ITX board in the case, right?

I just prefer them but you're right he could save money that way
>Cheapest way to build a PC is to buy one component at a time as you see a good sale.
Very true
I don't have experience with it but I read the Tuf B350M is decent

you do got a big enough PSU for it right?

Mx300 vs mx500 for ~500GB SSD.

Seen a few people recommend the 300, wondering why

>Bitcoin $11500

when will RAM makers ramp up their production?
I want to get an APU to save money but 8GB won't cut it and getting 12 GB of high speed RAM is really tough, and 16 GB is too damn expensive.
this is stupid as fuck.

I'm having a hard time securing mining cards because gamers keep snatching up all of them

so how loud is mITX, really?

low quality bait
who ever falls for this is a big ol' dum dum :]

Fuck, I might just reschedule it for next week when I have a longer weekend. Really wish Nvidia didn't pick some retardo vendor to ship my card that doesn't allow me to set the package to be sent to a pickup center.

just pick it up at a fedex location

Alright buds I’ve got a tricky one for you.
A while back after upgrading to Windows 8.1 I was offered the free windows 10 upgrade but never took it.

I just finished installing all the hardware in my first time build and want windows 10. Is it possible to still get my free upgrade, and if so, can I transfer it to a USB stick?

Guess it's kosher around here to ask for help and advice, so might as well. I'm getting ready to build a new computer to replace my 8-year-old rig; I know as much about computers as any user should, meaning I'm an expert wizard to my friends and family but a complete noob to most on Cred Forums. This'll be my general-purpose computer - gaming, anime, general use, etc. Here's what I'm currently looking at, based on the guides linked in OP and logicalincrements.com. I'm looking for it to last awhile and have some upgrading potential - probably won't build a new computer again for another 6~8 years. Aiming for ~$1000 range, maybe $1500 max.

pcpartpicker.com/list/HqzzKB

Video card is left intentionally blank because FUCK cryptocurrency. I eventually hope to get a 1080 (or better?), but I'm not paying $1000+ for it. More than willing to wait a year or more if needed for prices to stabilize; nothing I need in the immediate future requires high-end graphics. Maybe after the market crashes I'll get two and go for the SLI overkill. Until then I'll probably get a cheap (

windows 10 is already free

Read the second sentence.

The main difference being the watermark, yes? Will it show up when I’m running games?

The screen goes black on a timer telling you to buy.

yes

Don't listen to the other guy, google the Assistive technologies upgrade, it still works and they let you download an iso you can save.
No watermarks, and I've been using it for 3 weeks without seeing a single ad.

>look at reviews for my board

imagine if this had been step ONE in your process. imagine that.

thanks for your recommendation of an asus board though, I will consider it, along with asrock, once they come preflashed in a sealed box.

The B350M Prime boards have no VRM heatsink.
The Pro4 boards have no LLC, making overclocking tricky.