Technology job

What's your tech job like Cred Forums? I dont work in the tech sector and dont plan to, but ive always been interested in what my life would have been like had i gone the tech route professionally. What are youre favorite parts and least favorite parts of your job? would you become a techie again if you had the chance to redo this part of your life?

i guess the memes were true. Cred Forums is actually unemployed

I'm a newfag IT tech, at school one week a month. I started almost two years ago, never touched a computer before that.
It's actually quite "fun" and interesting, I'm in an international company so I get to speak with people from all around the globe all day, really makes you think, almost like traveling for poor fagelito like me.
Favorite parts are: helping people, finding solutions, discovering more each day how fucking stupid people are
Least favorite parts: condemned to be minimum wage cuck if I stay there, that's why I intend to go for at least 2 more years of studies. Also manager is literally pajeet from another country so he doesn't give a shit about local IT issues but it sounds well to say "global IT Team"
would I redo this? Yes, but maybe choose a different school, this one is shitty.

Bamp Got an Interview for HD Manager tomorrow.

How Fucked am I?

>HD Manager
whats an HD manager?

>What are youre favorite parts
- I get to pick and choose what I want to work on
- I get to do the operations work that I like and split that between development, programming
- Pretty much anything I've written I can open source as long as I let my manager know
- Coworkers are great and atmosphere is good
- My team is small (just me, a senior guy that I get along great with, and some other guy)

>least favorite parts of your job
- The newest member of our team is pretty bad at everything we do. He was recommended as our one guy left to netflix (he was awesome, he would have stayed if it had not been for one person in particular, coincidentally a month after he left all his complaints were solved :-( ). He just takes much longer to do the same thing I'll do in a day or week.
- He asks many redundant or stupid questions; his troubleshooting skills are pretty bad
- he was hired as a mid level despite having no experience which bugs the shit out of me as a junior as I do 3-5x as much work and am much more effective
- he has a some weird social norms that bug the absolute shit out of me, e.g.: (1) trying to do work, have my headphones on, bugs me every 10-15s for some issue while I'm trying to make progress on something, ffs, let me work, (2) while you're troubleshooting something yourself he'll stare at your screen behind your shoulder, dude, wtf I'm doing this myself, do you mind? (3) anytime I have a conversation with my other coworker he'll get up and listen as a third wheel, even if the conservation has NOTHING to do with what he's doing
- our hiring practices are a little weird as of late, we hired a lot of people from a company that recently went under (they're not necessarily bad), but it seems like we're being a little bit too lenient just because they came from [x] company
- we apparently prefer to avoid hiring the regular white guy just because he's a white guy, despite the fact that he ticks all the boxes and is a perfect fit both technically and culturally

Hardware engineer here, it's p comfy desu. Been at two jobs so far since graduating and both were p laid back, projects were at least not boring but corporate environment/tech coworkers are pretty dull. Pays well tho so can't complain

continued

>would you become a techie again if you had the chance to redo this part of your life?
Yes, job is fairly easy once you learn the tech. The problems are interesting, and if you work for a good company you don't have to worry about paying insurance, saving 401k (I put away 12% they match 6% and they gave us a bonus of 19% to our 401k this year for example), get quarterly bonuses and random bonuses just because (our end of year bonus was 10% on top of the 401k bonus), etc.

I never really liked working with my hands or outside, so this is the best thing I could be doing to be honest.

A manager in high definition

>jamal_figured_out_the_password.jpg

I work for a marketing company and I make their WordPress sites for our clients. It's extremely easy.

Best part is relaxed dress code, listen to music while I work, and within reason I make my hours. I work from home at times. People are impressed, but I made a couple themes and now use them for everything.

i want to get into programming or something for work but im currently just a technician, i build monitoring systems and servers and stuff that go out to the mines, its pretty cool because i get to mess around with lasers and stuff.

I'm 19 and have been doing IT for the last 3 years since i finished high school. I love it however the retail side of it sucks ass. Having to deal with old people and explain 5 times why some program from 2003 won't run on their new Win 10 machine gets old real quick. However it's mostly simple work and the corporate side of it is great. Doing a fair bit of department of education work at the moment as well and loving it. Get to meet a fair few interesting people and there's always something knew to learn.
>Pros
- Relatively easy a lot of the time
- Cost price from all suppliers
- Meeting a bunch of different people
- Always learning
- If you apply yourself is very easy to make money
- I work with good people
>Cons
- Dealing with spastic custormers
- Getting called at 2am because someone has had a server crash
- Fair bit of paper work for a lot of jobs
- Shit tons of book work for qualification.

Does internet marketologist count as tech job?

Does shit posting on Cred Forums count

>- The newest member of our team is pretty bad at everything we do. He was recommended as our one guy left to netflix (he was awesome, he would have stayed if it had not been for one person in particular, coincidentally a month after he left all his complaints were solved :-( ). He just takes much longer to do the same thing I'll do in a day or week.
>- He asks many redundant or stupid questions; his troubleshooting skills are pretty bad
>- he was hired as a mid level despite having no experience which bugs the shit out of me as a junior as I do 3-5x as much work and am much more effective
I had a boss like this once user. really makes you question how some of these people get through the interview process

Honestly he has skills, but not skills for this team. He should be in data science since he has ML/AI work from his PhD. On our team doing what we do he is terrible at it. He might have some ideas and utility on what he wants to do with the data, but that's not our team's primary job, that's more or less what data science is for.

I feel like he should just move to that team, it would be a huge burden off our shoulders.

>Hardware engineer here
Is that actually a thing? What is your actual degree?

I'm electrical engineering. Most people here are that or computer engineering. Tbh it's basically all just programming anyway

>Honestly he has skills, but not skills for this team.
at least he had some skills. my boss had essentially no skills

Context: I work as a software engineer
>What are youre favorite parts
I get to build something out of nothing and see people use it to do important things. I learn new things every day, and I can always find work even though I don't have a college degree. The hours are flexible, and my coworkers are great.

>least favorite parts of your job?
It's an enormous amount of pressure. I'm the only engineer with my skillset at the company, and that skillset is central to the most vital project at the company right now. Fucking up right now could literally mean the difference between the success or failure of the entire company. And because everyone is wanting to see my progress, I keep getting sucked into bullshit meetings when I have a million other more important things to do.

>would you become a techie again if you had the chance to redo this part of your life?
Definitely. I suck at school, so there's not much else interesting I could do anyway. But even if I could do something else, I'd probably pick this.

That sucks. My manager is awesome though. Management in general here is alright.

>pressure
>everyone relies on you
Share your stress and ask for a raise.

Software Engineer for a defense contractor here.

It is rather easy work. I just implement new features and do bug fixes.

Yeah don't confuse programmers with STEM

There is a reason why most computer and communication standards are done my EE associations.

Programmers are the "waste disposal engineers" of the technology field.

Already done. I was hired to be the less experienced sidekick to a rockstar they hired shortly before I joined.

Shortly after I joined, they realized the rockstar was not up to the task and that I was doing literally all the work. So they fired him and now I've got 2 engineers worth of work to do.

You better believe I asked for a raise.

lul. tho waste disposal engineers are in huge demand, that's why they get paid the most.

>What are you you are favorite parts
-enjoy my coworkers
-work for a lesser known (but huge impact) company, so no meme silly-cunt valley type brogrammers
-work at a satellite office housing only our team (no corporate chads and stacy from hr, and it's like a clubhouse)
-my company uses thinkpad laptops and all employees are issued one
-get to use thinkpad for non-work (good note taker and laptop for school)
-almost 80k salary as an intern
-work from home if i want

>least favorite parts of your job
-im an intern

Good. Well done.
Lots of people just put up with things without asking for a raise. Those won't get anywhere really.

>What's your tech job like Cred Forums?

>"Hey, my portfolio is slow."
>"Clean out your seven years worth of model data."

>"Hay, all the portfolios are slow."
>"You can pay down some of that massive technical debt with designs that haven't worked over time..."
>"Can we make a new interface instead?"

>"This sucks, I can't use it."
>"It's what you asked for and how you asked for it."
>"...but it's not what I wanted..."
Yet at the meetings, I do my best to try to get them to think things through.
>ohboyherewego.exe.jar.tiff.jpg.png
The best part is when they do this with another product and different product manager. They're all weak users and when it gets sniffed out, they get chewed out so hard.

>"Our integration with this second party service is blowing up"
>"Hey, junior, did you test this properly before handing it over to production?"
>Junior: "Uhhhhhhhh....."
I'm not even mad.

I can't even break out of this shit because my skillset is weird at this point and explaining why you want to leave after more than 5+ years is more difficult than I had originally anticipated.

Never work for a small company if you don't have to and if you do, don't stick around even if you do like your boss.

>It's an enormous amount of pressure. I'm the only engineer with my skillset at the company, and that skillset is central to the most vital project at the company right now. Fucking up right now could literally mean the difference between the success or failure of the entire company.
user, youll look back on this one day as probably one of the most valuable experiences of your life. many people never got to a point where they are given real responsibilities. even if you end up failing at this project, youll still end up with extremely valuable life lessons

100% agree. I'm learning so much (sometimes through ridiculous fuck ups), and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Even though I'm the only person who can really work on this project, everyone at the company has been incredibly supportive and patient with my failures.

>Tbh it's basically all just programming
In what language? ASM? C++?