Why do people hate electron?

Why do people hate electron?

Other urls found in this thread:

josephg.com/blog/electron-is-flash-for-the-desktop/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>JavaScript

i use firefox

Far more bloated than using traditional GUI toolkits and programming languages.

But it provides a giant community of plugins, mods, and extensions.

How much are they paying you?

?

Nothing you couldn't get out of any other library.

It's fucking up my font rendering

Most applications aren't that complicated that you have to worry about resources

Its literally flash on the desktop

What? I'd love to know which libraries provide a public API for any user to just write extensions for any Qt, Quartz, or WPF.

It is already bad enough that gtk has six gorillion of versions and they don't support same themes (luckily qt is not that bad because it uses the same for 4 and 3 version and could as well imitate gtk theme, it's just that gnome what is a piece of shit), electron has its own theming on Linux which doesn't adapt to neither gtk nor qt. Electron programs look even more out of place.

So why care? Steam and Photoshop don't obey osx and Windows ui specs. Why should we care so much that our applications look consistent with our theme?

I don't get this guys argument. A lot of narrative c written applications are very large and use up lots of disc space, especially as they are like visual studio, daws, Photoshop, skype, etc. Why is it an issue when slack does it compared to anything else?

>running a full web browser just to display your shitty UI made in javascript because you're too retarded to learn anything else

>developing an application in C poorly for over a year which you could have developed in JavaScript and electron in a weekend

I don't have anything against it. VScode is made with it and is my preferred text editor.

>javascript
>a whole fucking chrome instance for a shitty "web app"
Java looks top tier compared to this piece of shit.

>not using Qt5 with QML instead
There are more options than your garbage and the "muh pure C" autism approach. If you're developing mobile apps, there's also React Native, which allows you to use javascript without running fucking Chrome.

>Use the botnet browser for your applications!
No fucking thank you

are you fucking retarded? Java can go fuck itself.

Yeah, but no matter what you're writing you're probably going to use libraries which electron already has in chrome. As opposed to using different libraries for each os which takes time and more debugging. You could complain that there are no shared libraries with electron so each app has to use the same library each time, but isn't that also true of applications packaged in containers one flatpak and snaps and also solve the same problem that those packages existed for (take a small amount of extra space, kill the problem of bugs caused by different version requirements of the same library)

Java Swing is crossplatform and has easily usable themes to make it look native.

Why don't we just use that?

>gives webshits a chance to make desktop apps
pajeet no

You guys are unemployed retards.
The reason Electron is great is because most companies hire web developers and already have their bullshit products built as a webapp.
Most likely the webapp is already setup with a "mobile-first" responsive layout.
So, Given they have a responsive layout and application already finished, why would they NOT spend one week literally dragging and dropping files into an electron project resulting in a desktop version of the application that runs on nearly any resolution?

This guys gets it.

Electron is a good idea, it's just done poorly.
If they would fix a few things and add a few things, it could be really good.

fine, i'll bite
>disc space
>comparing enterprise discord chat with a full blown IDE and a and of the most advance graphics editors
>narrative c
what the fuck? What does C have to do with anything? You should compare electron with other GUI toolkits, not with a programming language. And none of those are programs are written in C anyway

A whole fucking browser for very basic programs.
JS in desktop software.
Electron is a fucking nightmare to port.
Enables Webdevs to write desktop software. This drives down the average software quality of the whole world even further.

Op here.
This just seems like the same arguments people made about c vs assembly (C used to considered a high level language) then C compared to what we now consider high level (java, python, etc). Now it's high level languages vs bavascript frameworks. I mean it's the same complaints. Too much ram, too much disk space, too slow.
I mean, my computer isn't particularly amazing but it can handle a crapton of electron applications concurrently. That 100 extra MB of ram x 10 is still not touching my 16 gigs. My laptop is like 4 years old and I only paid 500 bucks but I'm not seeing any performance issues.
If you're not developing something that's resource intensive like a 3d game, cad software, etc. Is using electron really going to destroy the computing world? I don't think it is.

It is much more efficient than this piece of shit
kys

is it unreasonable to not feel like throwing 2 more gigs of ram to my computer every year to be able to run the latest update a literal text editor? what are the upsides if i do so anyways? cross-platform gui? there're many toolkits out there that already do this. saving companies some $$ only hiring js codemonkeys? no thanks

60 MB minimum installation size

You start an Electron project, don't put in any code or assets, build it, the resulting binaries are 60MB minimum.

Cocoa

>bakascript
ftfy

>want to make text editor
>decide best approach is to turn google chrome into notepad ultron
Atom is taking up 447 MB of ram right now
i have a single, completely empty file open and that's it.

powerful idea, maybe electrino and whatever wasm shit out will improve on it enough so that my text editors don't become my bottlenecks

yeah i love each program using 170MB of ram you cunt

faeces sometimes comes with a complement of delicious corn and nuts