If you speak a language that has a grammatical polite and/or formal form

if you speak a language that has a grammatical polite and/or formal form

how does it feel speaking a language with no polite form (e.g. english)?

Speaking langs with a polite form can be confusing sometimes only because of not growing up with it, I simply dont know some situations where it is/isn't appropriate. I can understand the concept but the cultural awareness is lacking.

I feel like a faggot when i use "tu" but using "usted" is kinda rude with women

No wonder why all of you are rude uncivilized fucks

Can you elaborate on that a bit?

Spanish is one of the languages I had in mind when I made this thread

Actually, we used to have such a system, with "thou" as the informal pronoun and "you" as the formal pronoun, but as class distinctions began to wane people started to call everyone "you" just to be on the safe side until "thou" became a sign of disrespect and consequently fell out of use. So I guess technically we're always polite.

>So I guess technically we're always polite.

So we gave everyone (You)s ironically until it wasn't a joke anymore and now we're post ironically polite

A rather simplistic view, but essentially yeah.

Geebus man, OP is asking a fair/legit question, what the fuck?

It's difficult to explain as you grow up with it familiarity allows you to use it in anumber of ways (ironically, as sign of respect/affection, etc.) having said that simply don't use it unless talking to strangers (eg asking directions) anyone you're formally introduced to will sort of expect that you use the informal form even in business, there's a far greater chance you'll come off as a douche, concveited or hostile using it than not.

Thats nos how politeness works, i can say a ryde statement with formal structured and still be rude, its actually ruder tho

>taking Cred Forums seriously

Usted señor, es un gran e incompetente pendejo

Lmao go get your head chainsawed off, Juanito

It's kind of complicated to write a formal letter, because I always feel like I'd lack distance between me and the other person.

Yeah, but it was ultimately considered rude in its own right to call your equal or superior "thou" for any reason, especially in such an authoritarian and classist time, so people started calling everyone other than inferiors "you" to be on the safe side until eventually everyone was called that and "thou" became quaint and archaic.

>i can say a ryde statement with formal structured and still be rude, its actually ruder tho

OP here and this is the kind of thing that i find difficult in multiple langs, i don't know the subtleties of dissing people or how strangers argue with each other

thanks for the info

>there's a far greater chance you'll come off as a douche, concveited or hostile using it than not.

this is again the kind of thing that I am wondering about

See? This is what im talking about

Personally, i frel that formal language is only for aesthetic literature, business and legal documents, try reading and listening to that kind of stuff to understand it more, then you will realize why insulting in a formal manner is more rude

I guess slang could be informal and the correct way would be formal.
Irish slang for example.
Ye/You
How are you/ye?

Fun fact, the polite form in Irish is actually only used with addressing the clergy.

Conas atá sibh ar mhaidin?
How are You (fm.) this morning?
Sibh is of course also the plural form of tú - you.

Well, where i live we use both forms of you: "Tu" and "usted", we don't say vos.
Usted is normally used by males among males, and with older women. It's kind of tricky to master because it's used with the intent to show low familiarity, or to not sound like a faggot.
Tu is used all the time among women, and men use it too when they speak with women and little kids. It's supposed to show more familiarity, and perhaps a more "feminine" way of speaking.
If you use tu with men you will look like a faggot, and if you use usted with women you will come off as rude (when couples are fighting they cut the tu and use usted instead)

This changes according to regions, in the atlantic coast they use tu all the time, in southern regions they use usted all the time. And then there's antioquia where they use the damn "vos"

I guess we have roughly the same thing in English with overly-formal language coming off as patronizing.

>when couples are fighting they cut the tu and use usted instead

fuggg this is the shit I will never know about without explicitly asking

It feels trashy, like I can't give the proper respect to people.

Interesting; in English we have stopgaps in the form of "sir" or "ma'am" when addressing superiors or customers.

My mom said that English is rude. Because "you" is referred to both your relatives and you enemies.

I know, we have that too, but that's not quite the same, that's just how you adress people. What I mean is the lack of a different way of speech depending on who you are talking to.

I have started to feel like English is a language where everyone speaks like they are children...Meaning...children havent learned the polite form properly yet so they use casual form with each other and with adults by mistake...English is a language where we never grow out of that and to compensate we mainly use word choice and tone of voice

Interesting given the historical development of it:
We'd be Japanese-tier to a Medieval Peasant speaking English.

pure autism

we talk to each other in third person like "I ask mister to refrain from hurtful opinions as mister has clearly overstepped mister's boundaries"

the concept of just saying "you" is incredibly comfortable to me

autism

>english
>no polite form
It's totally impolite to address your mom as "you".
>Eng: Mom, how are you?
>Mly translated: Mom, how are mom doing?
>Eng: Madam, I left my paper at home, will you spare me this time?
>Mly translated: Madam, I left my paper at home, will Madam spare me this time?
In this two cases, it's polite form to address someone with their title instead of "you". Use "you" when talking with friends or angry while in formal/respected situation, it's kind of awkward.

autism

no, you're autistic

you used to use thou in informal context and you in formal until Puritans started using thou everywhere and to everyone

after kicking them out of Britain you just started using "you" because "thou" was seen as rude

>Current year
>Not using vos

pleb

>his language doesn't have family pronounce
>Eng: My elder brother is David. He's gay.
>Mly translated: My elder brother is David. Elder brother is gay.
>Eng: Sarah, please wait for me!
>Mly translated: Big sister Sarah, please wait for me!

t. monolingual

I really like this

In Spain usted is just used to address old people you aren't familiar with, college professors, doctors, judges, cops and such, but this people tend to use usted with you as well.

It can be used with irony like "perdone usted" with friends but it's pretty rare.

Really? I thought you use "usted" with people noticeably older than you or in a high hierachy.

English can be spoken politely, you dumbfuck.

Feels more direct

>Mexicuck
>Calling someone else uncivilized