The Roman Empire

>The Roman Empire

Ah you mean those guys who stole everything Greek and claimed it as their own?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2k448JqQyj8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

you can say that to any invention or anything in history of mankind

sandnigger
gook
or indian?

it's ok they're bros

>not Dyēus Ph2tḗr :^)

>when le canadians don't get taught about indo-european culture

Greeks were a bunch of hedonists who could never unify under a single banner until Alexander came around. After he died they all split up again.

Rome was the best thing to ever happen to Greece.

>stole

Natural cultural diffusion isn't fucking stealing

Jupiter isn't a "stolen" version of Zeus, but a different god associated with Zeus to ease the rule of the drunkards. Ditto for Mercurius/Hermes and others.

This gets kinda obvious when you see some gods have no correspondent, like Janus Bifrons (Roman) or Uranus (Greek). BTW Uranus is big.

Exactly. Plus gods which are associated with the same thing in Greek and Roman cultuers often have wildly varied rituals and myths and importance associated with them (Kratos vs Mars)

I don't think Dyēus Patēr* is "genetically" related to Jupiter, word-beginning /d/ deletion isn't common in Latin.

especially evident with Ares and Mars

>you're chilling at the local theatrum when a german barbarian slaps your gf's ass
what do?

keep in mind he's 160cm giant and you're just a 150cm manlet

Yup. Ares was a god of violence; Mars, of agriculture. The only common aspects were both being male (unlike Athena) and warriors.

Call its owner and send the hans back to its potato farm.

>potatos in antiquity
triggered

Fine, fine.
Then send the frithuriks back to the wheat fields. Pulmentum won't prepare itself, you know.

Thanks, initially I was going to comment on the name non being ancient germanic too but thought I was being too pedantic.

The greeks wish they had the law system the romans had

It was pretty normal in pagan days to see in the god of another the equivalent of your own. Also myths were often shared and new cults arrived and became accepted, take Hecate or Dionysus for example.

But yes, Roman were total Greekboos. And rightly so, Greeks were the pinnacle of civilisation back then.

greeks invented gay sex

This; Rome pretty much influenced every single law system in the world today except for Common Law and Sharia Law, too.

Stop appropriating Roman culture, Domini Stercoris!

>Greeks were a bunch of hedonists

Not true, the "Greeks were all gay" meme is just that, a meme, that gets rechewed and spread by people who aren't even able to read the Greek texts in their original language.

A couple of years ago a debate on homosexuality in ancient Greece, a proponent of the "Greeks were ok with it" theory, from Harvard nota bene, was publicly embarrassed when he had to admit he can't read classic Greek and alwys used English translations.

The reality is that Greeks weren't tolerant of homosexuality at all, yes they wouldn't kill you for it, but you would lose your rights as a citizen instantly. This included citizens who seduced slaves. In some cases fags were banished too.

The law of Athens and Sparta (both fully saved into our times) was especially though against mentors who tried to seduce their "loved ones". "Loved ones" here meant that an older man stood in for the further education of a young man, between ages 12-around 20, when they start to grow a beard. "Lover" and "Loved one" here was always meant in the platonic sense, never sexual.

For further reading on this I can recommend the book "Homosexuality in ancient Greece (the myth is collapsing)" by Adonis A. Georgiades. He presents all texts claimed to prove the lewdness and laxity of Greeks by some American scholars (there is only 1 where all the rest copied from: prof. Dover) and less-than-scholars (popular sensational type authors genre Siamakis) both in the original and the translation.

You can find his work on bookzz.org btw

>inb4 Greek vases

You will never find one with humans engaged in clear homosexual acts, merely suggestion. Only satyrs were depicted in such a way, but satyrs were hardly seen as an example to follow.

It wouldn't work that great. The jury-based law system of Athens and the likes might not scale well, but it was far more flexible than a huge codex.

There's a catch, though: said Rome didn't include Rome anymore. Most of the work was done after the West was already lost, but before they gave up.

This. Besides, every other pre-christian european culture had a god of sky and lightning.

The meme is older than that... and done by people who could read Greek. Romans often associated the Greeks with certain "fancy" behaviours as drinking too much, being lazy AND homosexuality. There was even a verb for that - "pergraeco" ("I behave completely like a Greek" - Plautus used it a lot)

Also true, most of the Civil Law was based on Justinian, who was after the Fall of Rome.

Reminder that greekaboos got irrepairably shrekt forever

youtube.com/watch?v=2k448JqQyj8

No they had their own pantheon but said that either the gods of the Greeks were the same as their own and/or that the gods of the Greeks, Germans, Gauls etc. existed but are clearly far less powerful than their own gods. This is also why the Roman empire prosecuted christians for atheism, because in the eyes of the Romans they were atheists by denying the existence of the Roman gods.

I am Greek

ALL societies just steal from each other. We all originally came from Africa and everything else is just variations and evolution on that.

>it's burgerclaps who think Gladiator was a historically accurate movie try to discuss any pre 20th century history thread

If you read Roman writings on the Germans they also try to equate Germanic gods with Romans. It was kind of their thing.

Germanics, Celts, Egyptians... it made ruling easy. "See, we worship the same gods under different names. And your gods can even join our pantheon."

Plato demanded the death sentence for homosexuals, yet Plato is hailed by some as proponent of homosexuality today.

Sure the christians presented the whole antique world as one of decadence and debauchery, and sure it did exist, but that does not mean that Greek society accepted it. The laws of Athens and Sparta are very clear about that.

Socrates had an eternal enemy in one of his student Critias, because the latter was in love with another one of his students (pic related)

The word the Greeks used for a homosexual, both giver and receiver, was very hard: kinaidos, which can be accurately translated as "damned one".

They generally saw gods of Germans, Gauls, or whomever, as synonymous with their own gods. Wodan was seen as synonymous with Mercury. Toutatis with Mars etc...

They were the same gods under different names. You worship "the fire God" then he's still "the fire God" even if you call him something different. All ancient religion are related to each other. This includes Christian etc. too. But Christian use Saints etc.

They did not persecute the Jews for their religion but they did persecute the Christians. The reason was because the Christians did not accept the divinity of Caesar.

Only 2 religions were banned in imperial Rome: Celtic druidism, because of "excessive cruelty" (!) Druids used to cut open live men and from their cries, death agony and the way their intestines rolled out of their bodies they "read the future", prophecised... even for the Romans this was too much so it was banned in 88 AD. In the periphery of the Empire Celts still practised this however (Britain for example, Isle of Man, likely also Belgium and Batavia).

Second ban was Christianity for reasons already stated.

First Romans banned Christians, then they allowed Christians, then they banned "Pagans". Technically the Byzantine empire (very Christian) was part of the Roman empire too, and lasted for much longer than the Western Roman Empire which fell to various barbarian tribes.

Actually I'm not disagreeing with you about _this_ [Greeks hated homosexuals], only on who created the meme.

>They were the same gods under different names.
Not always, though. For example, Zeus wasn't "genetically" related to Jupiter but to Dis Pater; Wotan/Odin originated as a prophet, but it was associated with Mercurius (a messenger) and Hermes (might be actually related to Mercurius); and they tried to associated stuff not even related, like Isis [an Afro-Asiatic goddess] vs. a Suebian god.

Don't bother arguing with him. I've seen this line of reasoning on /his/ and it's usually accompanied by extreme Orthodox-faggotry. Basically he's trying to say, "hurr durr Greeks were always virtuous and against degeneracy and it's the filthy degenerate Americans who are trying to besmirch their good name"

He's not actually interested in the complexities of Greco-Roman relations. He's just trying to shill Orthodox authors.

I think you confuse me with someone else m8, I seldom visit /his/ and I'm not Orthodox. Not all people are Cred Forums tier extremists you know, but I do agree that /his/ would be better off with flags, to avoid wrong accusations like yours and accompagnied with that making a caricature of my post, while I merely presented a decent source and a derived well founded argument against the popular misconception of "homosexuality was generally accepted by Greeks of antiquity".

In that case you are right of course, it originated long before professor Dover, I meant that the latter is the origin of many modern claims, often in popular books or magazines.

Who says it's originally Latin? Even fucking bos ain't originally Latin.

Correct me if I'm wrong

Dyēus Ph2tḗr
Drop the D and H
The Romans pronounced his name as (yoo-pit-ar) not (jew-pit-er)
Jupiter

The Greeks started pronouncing the D as a Z
Zyeus piter

Sky Father

That's at least from my understanding

Greeks stole a lot from Egypt, Sumeria, and Phoneicia so I don't see your point.

The romans took what was best from other peoples and improved on it.

Many of their military tactics came from celts and iberians, especially early on.

I am greek

Pretorian law was flexible as fuck and at the end of the Republic was more important than the Twelve Tables.

It's the basis of being an intelligent human. Noticing a pattern and seeing how you can emulate and improve it for yourself.

All human development has been a consistent build up of copying and adding on to your predecessors

They were the borgs of the ancient times.

This. The meme of roman gods being copied must stop.

More like "Call greeks pussies and then became just like greeks few centuries later"

Antisemitism existed amongst Romans though, even before christianity. And it wasn't only due to the jewish rebellions.