What is the worst disaster to happen in your area Cred Forums?

What is the worst disaster to happen in your area Cred Forums?

It can be a national disaster or a more local disaster like mine.

Eastern Wisconsin: The Peshtigo Fire

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qPpOXH0ADSg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Canberra_bushfires
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Saturday_bushfires
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010–11_Queensland_floods
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Thursday_bushfires
youtube.com/watch?v=fvyuFmk6s_U
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ycuá_Bolaños_supermarket_fire
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960_Valdivia_earthquake
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goiânia_accident
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Oddly enough, the Peshtigo Fire, despite being the deadliest wildfire in American history, was overshadowed by the Great Chicago Fire which happened on the same day, and which I guess is my answer to this question locally.

Countrywide probably 9/11 or something like that.

dust bowl mang

youtube.com/watch?v=qPpOXH0ADSg

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Canberra_bushfires

Probably this, burnt down a decent portion of Canberra and had the first documented fire tornado

The Bubonic Plague in 1349 killed about half the population in my area (west midlands).

kind of envious how you guys get to have cool stuff like wildfires and fire tornadoes while we only get lame shit like floods every other year

Also perhaps the Civil War, but that at least had a happy ending.

Wow 2bh.

wasn't there a bushfire in Australia in the 1800s that spread so quickly that people couldn't outrun it? Like, it would overtake them like a tidal wave of fire.

dang
>envious of firestorms and tornados
baka

Not sure about that but Victoria gets btfo by them decade or so, I can still remember the ones in 2009 because I spent about 15 hours hosing down our house and cutting down trees

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Saturday_bushfires

We get floods too there were huge ones in 2011

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010–11_Queensland_floods

Found it. This stuff is unbelievable.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Thursday_bushfires

yahudis

Miraculous that only 12 people died in that.

In modern times?
Bloody Sunday

uh there was this time...never mind.

Not really the worst but in 1783 a volcano in Iceland erupted and spewed out a huge cloud of sulphur dioxide, which is estimated to have suffocated about 10,000 people in the UK.

1755 Lisbon earthquake

Damn really? That reminds me of the eruption of Mount St. Helen's in Washington. Seattle was covered in ash

I remember that from Assassin's Creed :3

Yeah, volcanoes are scary.

We have derechos in Wisconsin frequently enough but aside from tornadoes nothing too bad here in Madison aside from the infrequent blizzard.

Same here in Chicago; we're not really prone to natural disasters other than our bitter winters.

Newfoundland
>hurricane during the seven years war that rekt a bunch of british ships
>1846 fire, left displaced about half the city's pop.
>1892 St. John's fire displaced about a third of the city's pop.
the first half of the 20th century
>ww1 bankrupt us and we lost a lot of men
>great depression caused our fish economy (see: entire economy) to shit itself
both of those together caused us to give up self governance and we were governed by a british commision starting in '33
>ww2 did the same thing as ww1
this time we were so broke we were basically forced to join canada in '49

I guess technically we have ice quakes which do little more than rattle picture frames if you live right up on the lakeside living on the isthmus. I like living in the midwest.

Cyclone Tracy, pretty much leveled every building in Darwin back in 74

youtube.com/watch?v=fvyuFmk6s_U

This is a spooky recording of the storm taken by a local priest

Ashes covered most of western Washington, and the sulphur traveled even farther.

Indeed, a good candidate for being God's country.

It colored clouds as far as the midwest.

this fucker

>Contestado War
A bunch of zealot mestizos pissed at the general situation, waiting for a messiah-like monk to resurrect and lead them into a Celestial Monarchy, mixed with a border conflict between Paraná and Santa Catarina and some immigrants being non-Catholic (in the mestizos' mindset, non-Christian, since Christian = Catholic). Resulting deaths over 4 years: 6000-9000.

this one i guess
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ycuá_Bolaños_supermarket_fire

And no, I am not making this shit up, as weird as it is.

Wew lads; at least you aren't Paraguay tbqh.

wew

TBQHWY, it would be the same shit.

the earthquake of the `85

Dunno. There are practically no disasters in Hugary, no huge floods, no earthquake, no volcanoes, no huge dense forst that could produce a firestorm ... nothing. I would like to contribute though, so ... Russian army perhaps?

The Russian army.

Just with that whole war and all.

Trianon, maybe? Though that's a tad bit predictable.

The two-party system.

Also this, although it does provide some sort of cohesion and stability in a nation with 325 million people and thus 325 million different opinions. So, mildly better than Weimar-era party splintering.

The two events are unrelated, though. Triple Alliance War was in 1864-70, and a "true" war among countries; Contestado was in 1912-16, and a local internal conflict.

(There were some Argentinian claims over the lands, but they never pushed it.)

this bad boy right here
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960_Valdivia_earthquake

I know, I'm just saying the War of the Triple Alliance was particularly disastrous for Paraguay.

Peronism.

Coquimbo
The earthquake from last year

Ah, indeed. Had they won, Paraná would probably be annexed. However things wouldn't be as bad for Paraguay, the whole thing was bloody.

Great northern war. Along with plagues killed 3 out of 4 estonians and destroyed every church and chappel.

Also we got hit by a meteor in bronze age that explosive power of hirosima and unlike chelyablinsk it hit ground and had impact like a nuke.

isn't the very worst on Valparaiso earthquake in '60 though?
AFAIK not many died in Coquimbo from the tsunami

if you want to discuss disaster, there was a point in 1868 where both sides lost more people to disenteria and wound infections than to the battle themselves
tho military speaking, yes the war was disastrous for Paraguay. wew

I think he's from coquimbo senpai

ah yeah i keep forgetting that Chile is not only Santiago

it is tho

some retarded monkey caught x ray powder and spread it through the city making it the 2nd biggest radiological accident ever

Iowa.
My favorite restaurant, which made epic burgers, closed several years ago.

>Along with plagues killed 3 out of 4 estonians
How did the last one reproduce? Did he import a Russian wife? :DDDD

A bunch of Jews and Slavs started writing a ton of propaganda in all the Jewish owned newspapers in 1965 which lead to the political shit we have now.

Thirty year's war.
Killed two thirds of the population here.
Two fucking thirds.

2010 Earthquake

No it was one third.

Also the plague killed a third 200 years before.

i remember seeing that on tv
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goiânia_accident

Yeah, only 15 chileans died from the tsunami and 1 argentine due to a stroke I think

I'm not talking about germany but Vorpommern

you're an old guy

Finnish russian latvian and german farmers were brought here and slowly turned to estonians

Weird that only the Russian ones survived.

In the late 1890's, a German cargo ship set off from Liverpool to head towards Ecuador. It got caught in bad weather.
1 lifeboat from my town, another one from the neighbouring town which is now part of my town, and the lifeboat of a town from across the estuary went to its rescue

Of the 29 people that went out to rescue it, only 2 came home.

The German emperor donated £3000 and the Queen donated £2000 to the 16 widows and 50 orphans.

In total something like £30,000 was raised which is £3.4 million today and there are monuments in all 3 towns

It is the worst disaster the Royal National Lifeboat Institute has ever had

for you

Why is the Queen so greedy?
Evil greedy Queen desu.

Communism.

She did the same thing with the Irish during the famine
She gave like £1000, and some Turkish Sultan or whatever gave £9k+, but the queen said no so he sent like 20 ships fillef with food