Germanic language speaking cunts (Germany, Netherland, Austria, Switzerland, England...

>Germanic language speaking cunts (Germany, Netherland, Austria, Switzerland, England.. How much do you understand of this norwegian article?

Whenever im in Germany or the Netherlands i can always read newspapers and sort of get the gist of the article even though i dont speak the language and we only share a common germanic root. I have had similar expirience in Iceland too but that is expected..

is it the same for you guys? Can you read this norwegian article and understand enough words here and there that you could string it together and get the basic story?

>The article: vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/asyl-debatten/aarets-asyl-tall-tre-av-fire-afghanere-fikk-avslag/a/23798349/

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1783413
lowlands-l.net/talk/eng/scandinavian.html
germanic.eu/Middle-Low-German-loanwords-in-the-Scandinavian-languages.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=vf7ddhoF618
youtube.com/watch?v=WeGuDQ5gq-c
m.huffpost.com/fr/entry/7830988
nu.nl/bootvluchtelingen/4120669/nederland-neemt-zevenduizend-extra-vluchtelingen-op.html
schlager.radiopaloma.de/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaic_Dutch_declension
youtu.be/cENbkHS3mnY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

kill yourself user

the asylum numbers of the year (?) 3 of 4 afghans got .... (sounds like afslag but that means "exit" as in on a motor way)

the ... of the years 2250 asylum seaker came to norway this particular year. just refugees from syreia & eritrea can .... refugee status... etc.

missing some words but i can kind of fill in what they mean from context.

after a while you can kind of figure out the different sounds that have shifted between our languages

>flyktning -> vluchteling

y usually corresponds with u

>sokere -> zoekers

o usually corresponds with oe

>år -> jaar (kind of difficult to figure out that one though)

å usually corresponds with aa

I had to google avslag, but then I understood pretty much the whole article.
Avslag lijkt op afslaan (van aanbod etc.), betekent in werkelijkheid afwijzen.

fuck all ngl

>Avslag lijkt op afslaan

dat dacht ik al

I speak english, understood nothing except some words.
I also speak spanish at a worse level yet can understand french or italian texts better.

De aller fleste av årets 2250 asylsokere som er kommet til Norge i år, får avslag. Bare flyktninger fra Syria og Eritrea kan påregne flyktningstatus.

the all flest of arrests? 2250 asylum seekers some are coming to norway, i are far. bare (this is slang for lots of ) flight-ninjas (im guessing this is refugee) from syria and eritrea can something refugee status.

My guess would be:
"Most of the about 2250 asylum seekers that came to Norway this year, were refused. Few refugees from Syria or Eritrea can obtain refugee status."

Thats my experience the two times ive been in the netherlands too. Just fresh up on some key words and you are good to go. I bet that if i lived in the netherlands for a couple of months i'd speak dutch pretty good

I guess so. I know a guy from Iceland who managed to reach almost native level in about one year and now studies medicine.
He's quite smart though.

FINLANDSWEDES ARE NOT FUCKING GERMANIC, DELETE THIS THREAD RIGHT NOW RRRREEEEEEEEEEEE

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1783413

>English
>Germanic

The French killed it for ya.

Some are you utter retard

I also find that i understand frisian pretty good. Most of the words there are still in use in norwegian

>77 prosent av de 641 asylsokerne fra Afghanistan fikk avslag i forste halvår i 2016.
77 percent of the 641 asylumseekers from Afghanistan fucked our slags in the first half of 2016

A practically nonexistant minority.

i bet the same is true the other way around.

there are a lot of danish football players who speak fluently after less than a year

perhaps interesting for you:

i think the intelligibility between northern and western germanic langauges has been amplified by the fact that low german (pracitcally a dutch dialect this day and age) was the lingua franca of the Hansa, which was very powerful in the north/east sea region. Can't find the particular research, but some guy found out that on average in norwegian conversation, every 3 or 2 minutes, a low german loanword is used.

low german dialect are very close to frisian

lowlands-l.net/talk/eng/scandinavian.html

germanic.eu/Middle-Low-German-loanwords-in-the-Scandinavian-languages.htm

Where would you ever encounter Frisian though?

Nah, there are plenty of fennoswedes whose parents/grandparents are from sweden.
t. one such fennoswede who knows tons of other bättrefolk

oh and the last thing before i go to bed, this shit is top hilarious as well

youtube.com/watch?v=vf7ddhoF618

>77 prosent av de 641 asylsokerne fra Afghanistan fikk avslag i forste halvår i 2016.
>77 percent of the 641 asylumseekers from Afghanistan got denied in the first half of 2016

avslag - denial, refusal, rejection

Don't know the history of the word but it is a combination of av=off and "slag" wich could mean battle or a strike

When you drink beer alone one day and see some language video on youtube then you be like "linguistic is suddenly interesting" and decide to browse youtube for more..

I don't feel like reading the whole thing but yes, i can understand about 1/3 of the words and can make out the context of what it says. I obviously won't get it all but i know what it's about. I have the same when i browse through the norwegian general on int. It's pretty funny. But i've always thought we are a bit similar.

In Dutch the word "afslaan" (same etymology) is used literally for stuff like keeping insects at bay by waving with your arms, and figuratively for declining offers or requests.

>i've always thought we are a bit similar.

That we are. I find dutch to be much more understandable than german. If i hear dutch and are not paying attention my brain access it as bergen dialect and i understand alot until suddenly some uninteligable words come along and im suddenly aware that its a different language.

Why is Scotland not on that list? Because a historical minority (and modernly extinct) population there spoke bad Irish? Scots is more of a Germanic language than English ever will be

Nearly all of the 2250 asylum seekers who came to Norway this year, will get rejected. Only refugees from Syria and Eritrea will be permitted as legitimate refugees. (refugee-status).

77 percent of the 641 asylum seekers from Afghanistan, were declined halfway through 2016.

By publishing numbers from each country, the minister of immigration, Sylvi Listhaug, wishes to send a strong signal, that most of the immigrants won't have a future in Norway.

bla bla bla.

t. didn't use translate, I'm just bored af

>Scots is more of a Germanic language than English ever will be
Thank you America for your wonderful education system.

>used literally for stuff like keeping insects at bay by waving with your arms, and figuratively for declining offers or requests.

same here!

refusal of an offer is also "avslag"

Not really even an effort for you though..

You'd be surprised. Never underestimate the stupidity of normies. They're powerful.

That's like 5% of a 25% minority. Again, practically nonexistant.

KEK

I am 17% germanic.

5% of a 5% minority *

I am Greek

Isn't there two Scottish languages? Scotts and Gaelic.

Zoet ontbijt is goed voor de hersenen en dus erg gezond.

Wie lust er chocoladevlokken op brood?

The only Germanic language that I can sort of understand is Middle English. I recognise words here and there with Old English but it's mostly gobbledygook, same with languages like Dutch.

There is, Garlic is dead tho

Scots is another one that I can sort of understand when it's written. Spoken is something else.

some sentences (I think) I understand entirely, others i miss key vocab for
less intelligible than written Dutch for me but not all that much worse
nice

Niemand? Dan eet ik het wel lekker zelf alleen op.

RIP Garlic
But in all seriousness this.

>How much do you understand of this norwegian article?
All of it. Obviously

There's also Scottish English, the dialect of English spoken in Scotland, and the by far most common language. Both Scots and Scots Gaelic are quickly going extinct, replaced with English

I always find Norwegian a lot easier to understand than Swedish.
Yet people always claim those two languages are the same.
Swedish is pretty much gibberish but with Norwegian you understand the gist of it.

Well the boundary of Scots from Scottish English isn't very well defined, much like the boundary between the Scandinavian languages

As a Native English speaker, it was very difficult, but this is my best shot of Translation for the first couple paragraphs.

NEW YORK (VG) - Of the arrested 2250 asylum seekers, some are coming to Norway by air, for denial. But refugees from Syria and Ertitrea can obtain refugee status.

77 percent of the 641 asylum seekers from Afghanistan were denied in the first half of 2016.

... land, says Immigration Minister Sylvi Listhaug (Frp) ... send a strong signal on ... coming here will not be easy in Norway.

"The denial letter is ... it will not be easy... The better.... Our Asylum system is not ... we do not ... to the returns of some immigrants ...," says Listhaug to VG.

De aller fleste av årets 2250 asylsokere som er kommet til Norge i år, får avslag. Bare flyktninger fra Syria og Eritrea kan påregne flyktningstatus.
The very first of 2250 asylumseekers that came to Norway this year were rejected (I assume. Avslag sounds like leaving a road).
Only refugees from Syria and Eritrea can get refugee status.

Ved å offentliggjore tall for hvert enkelt land, sier innvandringsminister Sylvi Listhaug (Frp) at hun onsker å sende et sterkt signal om at svært mange som kommer hit ikke vil ha noen fremtid i Norge.
By publishing (openbaren) numbers for every country wants the intruder minister (I guess immigrantion) Sylvi Listhaug send a strong signal to Swedes that come here they have no future in Norway.

>svært
Oh wait, that sounds like the German schwer meaning strong.
I still think Swedes is a better definition.

NOT THE GARLIC YOU MONSTERS

Interesting to see a native english speaker try to desipher my language as i can't remember not speaking english and as that I cant really understand what the mutual intelligibility would be like

Indeed. Thank the Norman Conquest for this.

I'll try to continue. Feel free to comment. I'm also slightly paraphrasing some phrases to better fit English.

... for Denial:
At the end of August, there were 2248 asylum seekers registered in Norway since January. That is the largest amount since 1997.

UDI handles ... from the store of refugees, some having arrived in 2015. Men already...

... 70 percent denied...

...land for land you can ... in this article.

Policy (?) on Immigration:
Listhaug is in New York ... with State Minister Erna Solberg (H) for a meeting (?) on FN's policy on immigration. The ... in FN ...

"We... at FN for ... to .... in return. We have ..., men that stare in ... political asylum seekers," says Erna Solberg to VG.

"Are criteria for asylum ... stronger in Norway, Sylvi Listhaug?"

"No,.... The... situation in Afghanistan... Immigrants... on... land ... varies over time, Landinfo..."

"Do you ... politics?"

"I can't ... in and ... UDI in this ... I am glad for ... immigrants ... land, some are tired," says Listhaug.

"Do we ... land?"

"That will vary over time. Different (?) land can accommodate(?) different people, and that will vary which land people will go to. We ... with ... in Norway, ... with another land, and ... Sweden ... 20,000 asylum seekers in it, and Denmark has double the refugees we have."

"Will you send our signal ... land for land?"

"That is ... information on the denial letter ... accurate. In ... land are the people ... say in without a family, and I ... Men that are .... are signalling that Norway is not their land, and ... are not to stay," says Sylvi Listhaug

There have been 2250 asylum seekers that have arrived in norway this year. Most? have been on flights from syria and eritrea.

77 percent of the 641 asylum seekers from Afghanistan arrived in the first half of 2016.?

When asked about?? the amount coming to the country, the immigration minister said we must send a strong signal that those that manage to come will be welcome in norway??

However those that manage to come are often returned to were they came from???

I could understand a certain amount, but I'm missing too many crucial words for it to be intelligible

Something about Asylum seekers trying to get into Norway.
I know some Dutch, and kind of how Swedish works (so it's not a hurrdurr 100% monolingual opinion).
Words/things I can or almost figure out:
>Det vil variere over tid
>land
>og
>sterkere (strong?)
>i
>obvious words from latin/greek
>laveste (lowest?)
>ankomsttallet (arrival count?)
>asylsokere
I thought afslag looked similar to afslaan but I still had to search it.
>Mange får avslag
>stuff about which migrants from which country tried or did get asylum ir something.

Without looking it up, how much of this can you understand?

Mirie it is while sumer y-last
With fugheles son
Oc nu neheth windes blast
And weder strong.
Ei, ei! What this nicht is long
And ich with wel michel wrong
Soregh and murne and fast.

People who know the song need not apply.

It's marry while summer lasts
With birds song
And now comes(?) winds blast
And (idk/very/often) strong
Oh oh how long this night is
And I with (wel?Dutch?) ...
... & ... & fast

Alsatian there

70 % of afghan Asylum seekers something something

Boring subject.

Mirie it is summer at last.
With birdless sun
And now comes the wind blast.
And again strong.
Hey hey, what is this night long.
And I know well Michel is wrong.
Care and grief and fast.

Im sure this is wrong.

Pretty good. How did you know "fugheles" means birds?

Also surprisingly close.

youtube.com/watch?v=WeGuDQ5gq-c

Vogel and fugl (English has fowl) are cognates with it. I figured the -es was some Old English thing (but I doubt it considering OE's relation to Dutch) -- is it Scotts?

Weder makes sense now though, I should've known it.

It's Middle English. Good work, though. I wouldn't have made that connection with fowl.

Here's a "proper" translation:

Merry it is while summer lasts,
With birds in song;
But now there threaten windy blasts
And tempests strong.
Ah, but the night is long,
And I, being done such wrong,
Sorrow and mourn and fast (as in fasting).

I just realized the word sorrow and the Dutch word zorg, which means care, have the same origin.

It also means worry desu.

The English "sorry" literally means "sorrow-y".

It is incomprehensible to an English-native.

I only understood things that are fairly close to German (and my German is not-so-good)

That's pretty cool.

This.
I do understand a lot actually, but really miss some key vocab (like ).

>cornwall

Indeed. "Shall" is related to the Dutch "zal"(?), but is traditionally only used for the 1st person, while the 2nd and 3rd person use "will".

But the Norman Conquest and resultant Latinization results in Native Speakers not really comprehending most of OP's article.

Now that I think about it, it's really not all that surprising. Out of all the Germanic languages, English is the most corrupt.

I actually have an easier time reading Spanish/French/Italian than I do with German or Dutch, and yet I've spent more time studying German than Spanish.

This, most Romance languages, at least in written form (which in English especially differs vastly from speech), is more recognizable to English speakers than Germanic languages.

And then there's no point (at least practically) to even reform English. I've read about groups that exist to reform/"fix" English, but they might as well just be speaking Esperanto.

NEW york something alester something 20000 asylum seekers norway, syria something flightstatus 77 accepted 641 durka durka afghanistan they land invading hungary something norwegian

It would be easier if I knew how to pronounce the words

vocally germanic language are easier to understand though

Indeed = inderdaad
shall = zal
is = is
related = (ge)relateerd
to = naartoe (near to)
the = de
Dutch = Diets / Duits
tradtionally = traditioneel
only (probably from one-ly / alone) = alleen
used = x
for = voor
person = persoon
while = terwijl (to while)
will = wil

Lel why even include us though I can't understand shit

English is technically Germanic, but French (Latin) makes up a large portion of our vocabulary.

IIRC, basic words that are the backbones of sentences (prepositions, conjunctions, pronouns, etc) are still mostly Germanic, and more technical parts of English is mostly Latin.

Challenge between these two articles (especially for English natives)?
m.huffpost.com/fr/entry/7830988 (looks boring as duck though)
nu.nl/bootvluchtelingen/4120669/nederland-neemt-zevenduizend-extra-vluchtelingen-op.html
(Also)
>Be me
>(FR searching) immi(grés en france)-autosearch
>(NL searching) immigrants??(no auto)
>(NL) refugees????
>EnNl vluchteling flightling?fleeër?

flightlings

Kinda interessting...
Indeed = inderdaad = In der Tat
shall = zal = sollen
is = is = ist
related = (ge)relateerd = relatiert
to = naartoe (near to) = mit
the = de = dem
Dutch = Diets / Duits = Niederländischen (don't think we have a word like Dutch)
tradtionally = traditioneel = traditionell
only (probably from one-ly / alone) = alleen = alleine
>used = x = genutzt/benutzt
>for = voor = für
>person = persoon = Person
>while = terwijl (to while) = während
>will = werden

>Niederländischen
No, the word is related to Deutsch. Before the Netherlands existed there was no such thing as a Netherlandish person. The word Dutch is probably older than our country.

>benutzt
We also use the word benut. But a more common translation for used is gebruikt (in German: braucht)

>gebruikt
Gebraucht in that case.
Yeah, well... it is late.

Yeah, a friend once said that he watched a Frisian program once and didn't need subtitles 50% of the time.

Inthedeed, I guess.

Yeah, IIRC, "dutch" was the native name of any West Germanic language other than English, and in English meant any Continental West Germanic speakers. However, when England and Holland started having a bitter and intense rivalry, "Dutch" eventually became restricted to Holland, and eventually the Netherlands.

Is it relatively easy for a German speaker to learn Danish?

I sort of get the gist of Dutch since it looks like a slightly goofy dialect, but feel like Danish is a whole different story.

Yeah, for some reason it is harder to understand them than even Norwegians.
No idea why. But read the meme that not even they understand their language. Probably true.

How many nouns in Dutch and/or German have "-en" in the plural? English has, IIRC, only oxen, aurochsen, and children in current use, and brethren, sistren, eyen, shoon, and kine archaically/quaintly.

The form without ge- doesn't exist anymore in Dutch. Only in words derived from it (bruikbaar, misbruik, verbruik). Not sure how that happened.

Kinda interesting, as "ge-" was already optional in Old English, and then atrophied ("y-" exists in Chaucer) and died out in the Middle Ages.

I got more of the French article than the Dutch

A lot actually.

>bruikbaar

Man, Dutch is such a qt language.

>to = naartoe (near to) = mit

*zu

>die dicke Katze
The fat cat
>die dicken Katzen
The fat cats

Eh, almost every plural ends with -en. That makes rhyming incredibly easy.

-s and the diminutive -jes (meaning ies / ey's) are also used, but -en is way more prominent.

iirc Dutch has pretty much been making the same changes as English.
Probably more so now since English is everywhere.

Interesting how "-s" and "-en" were both relatively common in English and it was the latter that died out, as opposed to Dutch and German.

Interesting. IIRC, Dutch had a somewhat elaborate declension system until well into the 20th century, and is now somewhat less declined than English.

Afrikaans actually made a lot of the changes English made coincidentally (or not depending on how you view it) making Afrikaans a lot easier for English speakers to understand in the process

We also apply the Dutch conjugations on English words though.

I have gecomputert today. I have just gegoogeld it.

I believe we do the same in English and loanwords, as well.

Can any germans here read a passage from an elementary german book for me so I can paste the audio into anki flash cards?

Right now my language learning method is
>Anki for vocabulary, reading
>Old language books from the library's used book shop
>Torrented Michel Thomas

The poor person/scumbag language acquisition program.

I tell people that I can read Danish, Norwegian and Swedish and they are so surprised. You can understand 90% by pronouncing the word correctly and knowing some words. I love it because it's kind of challenging but very rewarding when you figure shit out.

>nicht die ganze tag Deutsche radio hören
>2016

schlager.radiopaloma.de/

English speakers are going to have a much harder time since English is Western Germanic where Norwegian is Northern Germanic. English has also lost many of the features that makes it Germanic/somewhat intelligible with other Germanic languages

Indeed. Here are my attempts:

Lol that's a good one

Well, I think the biggest problem is the word order.
Dutch/German and English also dropped different words, so some words seem dated for Dutch/Germans while other words seem dated to English speakers.
And false friends, where the English word and the Dutch/German word mean something else.

It's quite easy to read Dutch for me.
With a bit of practice of how things are pronunced I can read Swedish, Danish and Norwegian too.

Icelandic is too complicated though.

avslag - Aufschlag?

People often recommend media consumption to learn a language, but if that actually worked I'd be a Japanese poet by now. Thanks though user, I'll check it out.

Which is equivalent to off-slay, according to Wiktionary.

A uni m8 of mine didn't speak a word of Dutch and within 6 months of moving from Germany to the Netherlands he spoke near native level. It's amazing really

It definitely helps to try and follow along.

Idk about others but I still have watch repetively with foreign subtitles sometimes. It's likely easier to do with English since there''s so much media for it.

Well, you need to teach yourself a proper German vocabulary first. Then you can use immersion to put it all into place. Then you get familiar with when to use which words so you don't have to think about everything.

50% West Finnish and 50% Swedish would make them almost the same as North Swedes.

What is Germanic anyway? Isn't someone who's closer to the original Germanics like Fennoswedes be more Germanic than Central European Austrians?

The Germanic languages are a distinct group of Indo-European languages defined by common ancestry and featuring, among other things, a relatively-simplified morphology among other Indo-European languages and the Weak verb-Strong verb distinction. But the Germanic peoples are not as clear-cut; are Brits Germanic, for example, or simply Germanicized Celts?

As someone who can hold casual conversation in Spanish without sounding autistic it's still difficult to follow what is going on when watching Telemundo or a telenovela. I follow spanish streams on twitch for reinforcement, but I think the immersion jump is in general very difficult.

I have no idea how people who are just dropped into another country with no prior language experience force themselves to learn it. Must be awful for a solid year if not more.

I can imagine that an Austrian has more problems to understand a northern swede. But then again, all Austrians speak German. Most of the vocabulary is very similar, even with rather complicated words. It's quite easy for me, as soon as I find the right pronunciation.

pic related are very specific words, still the same almost

>English and it was the latter that died out, as opposed to Dutch and German
I suspect the French had influenced that.

Rhetorical question. In my opinion Finlandswedes are more Germanic than Austrians or Swiss genetically.

Perhaps, 2bh. Even if French didn't directly influence English much other than vocabulary, the Norman Conquest meant that the only people speaking English were peasants, which explains the relatively simple morphology and other changes within the language.

Dutch is also quite simplified compared to German.

Der die = de = the (male and female)
Das = het = it (genderless)
Just like in English they cannot change into dem or den or whatever.

ein eine einen einem einer = een = a / an

Yeah, it's funny how "het" and "it" are cognates and seem roughly the same but are used in ever so different contexts.

People also say and write 't

I believe in Afrikaans 't is the standard form.

>single crochet
>double crochet
10/10 will screenshot and look back after 500 or so years.

>De aller fleste av årets 2250 asylsokere som er kommet til Norge i år, får avslag. Bare flyktninger fra Syria og Eritrea kan påregne flyktningstatus.

Most of this year's 2,250 Asylum Seekers have been stopped. Only refugees from Syria and [Egypt?] can obtain refugee status.

>translating Eritrea to Egypt

Interesting, it seems you guys are more contraction-happy than we are.

*Eritrea, but otherwise good I think.

For me it goes like this, considering written language only and only everyday terms (no slang or very elevated/archaic language), amounts of words in a given sentence I understand
>Dutch
90-95%
>Swedish, Danish, Norwegian
50%
>Icelandic, Faroese
10%

how can there even be an elevated form of Dutch? It looks like a german tried to write silly

German has lots of silly scribbles on letters. We removed them and replaced them with double letters. So with Dutch you don't need a special keyboard effectively making Dutch the superior language.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaic_Dutch_declension

I mean scientific or high literature speech and shit
English equivalent would be Edgar Allen Poe, which we had to read back when I was in school (12th grade). Before that I thought I was pretty good at English. After that I realised I know less than 1/10 of your vocabulary

That one is not a problem at all for us, in fact it would make it even closer and more understandable

roden sgoene med aardbije erop

How are you with Shakespeare, 2bh?

I bet.

>Transylvanian Saxons

Darkly remember reading some of it too, and cracking up on some, back then, pseudo-German expressions such as "thou hast"

Fun fact: we used to have a formal/informal you system, with "you" as the formal and "thou" as the informal you. However, as class distinctions began to arise, people starting calling strangers "you" just to be safe until it became disrespectful to use "thou" for anybody but your friends and family, and it shrunk and ultimately fell out of use.

Dutchbros should have an easier time with middle english.

But yeah, Shakespeare and the King James Bible are considered the pinnacles of English Literature, which is why I asked.

Yeah I know your formal version has over time replaced the informal one. Our ancient/dated equivalent "Ihr" (2nd person plural) to address nobility has pretty much fallen out of use. Now we're using 3rd person plural for strangers ("Sie", equivalent "They"), but I can't see it replacing "du" anytime, I think similarly to Swedish, the informal "du" will in the future be generally used (again) and formal "Sie" being reduced again, nowadays in many companies you can often address your superiors with "du", which had been unthinkable of in the 1950/60s

no way theres only een in dutch? and no distinction between the female and male The?
what about that annoying dativ case?

Very interesting; the whole formality thing isn't native to English anyway (it was introduced by the Conquest), so I guess that's what lead to its demise. Interesting how it's the formal, rather than the formal, you that prevailed.

*formal, rather than the informal

I know what you meant, I was trying to say Dutch looks so rediculous it's hard to imagine it having any kind of literary register

ridiculous, whoops

I remember seeing Dutch for the first time in my life when I was a wee lad playing a Frogger game.

My first time seeing Zwarte Piet on a YouTube.

My first time seeing multiple Zwarte Pieten

Afrikaans

Are you studying linguistics user?

>Now we're using 3rd person plural for strangers ("Sie", equivalent "They"),
I feel like people do that in English too actually, but only in casual contexts and you won't see it in writing

No, but it's a fascinating hobby.

That's mostly for gender-neutrality, which is a completely different context.

>That's mostly for gender-neutrality, which is a completely different context.
I don't know about that, I mean I guess it is, but if I was talking about someone I don't know very well I'd say "they" more often then not.

Like if I got off the phone with a customer service person and someone asked what they said I'd say "They said blah blah blah" even though hearing their voice I could tell.

will we see the death of he/she in our lifetimes lads

nah but "they" will definitely become the neutral pronoun to refer to a person in singular (it already has in informal speech, I didn't realize it wasn't until I was taught later in life desu), it'll pick up a since of disassociation with the person "You don't know my gender? how rude!", and so "she" and "he" will remain in place for people who aren't strangers

I can see it now.

Pretty easy to understand, especially because context.

I can't understand anything. English is German scaffolding and Latin+Celtic building blocks

The gaelic is still alive in the outer herbides, Scotts is deader than it because it's just English that's hard to understand

i get like 10% of it

i understand more in latin languages tbqh

I would say it's the other way around, but with the scaffolding being twice as large as the building itself.

>77 prosent av de 641 asylsokerne fra Afghanistan

Is it "77 presents of the asylum seekers are from Afghanistan"?

77% of the asylum seekers from Afghanistan

Understood everything perfectly

youtu.be/cENbkHS3mnY

I am not even a native English speaker and I understand most of this.

It depends on how close is the language to your own. A guy in my school who is Ukrainian learned decent enough Slovak in just 2 months (by that I mean he is fluent, but not like a native). This is because not only is Ukrainian a close language to Slovak, but he lived in thr borderlands where the dialect is about 30 percent Slovak words.

>closer to the original Germanics
That would be Austrians, since assimilated I1 huntergatherers (Swedes and Norwegians) are not the original Germanics.