When you walk into a house or an apartment and there's a dedicated space to take off your shoes and coat etc...

when you walk into a house or an apartment and there's a dedicated space to take off your shoes and coat etc. before stepping into any of the actual rooms like the living room or the halls etc. what is that part of the house called?

"lobby" sounds like something a large office building has

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genkan
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Foyer maybe

>taking your shoes off inside your house

Entrance.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genkan

>Genkan (玄関?) are traditional Japanese entryway areas for a house, apartment, or building—something of a combination of a porch and a doormat.[1] The primary function of genkan is for the removal of shoes before entering the main part of the house or building. Genkan are often recessed into the floor, to contain any dirt that is tracked in from the outside (as in a mud room). The tiled or concrete genkan floor is called tataki (三和土).

We don't really call it anything but I've heard mudroom being used

I think the mudroom is a side or rear entrance near the laundry room for taking off dirty clothes after yardwork.

t. knower of American houses

Mudroom is a secondary entryway

will using the word "vestibule" make me sound autistic? (yes)

We call it пpoхoжaя, roughly translated is "walk-through room", so you could try using that?

Just use entryway

i don't think that's a room, sometimes we have coat racks hanging on the wall but that's it

>We call it пpoхoжaя
>British flag

Пpихoжaя Prikhozhaya
>bringin mud from the streets to your home

what's the point of not taking your shoes off inside your home? do burgers view it as a sandnigger tradition? srs question

burgers have bad smelling feet because
>american hygiene

Apparently it's less offensive for guests to make someone's home dirty in the US than it is to treat it like a home.

We call it a mud room where I'm from.

Esik.

I grew up in the American SW and you just realistically weren't going to drag in anything that wasn't already on the floor. We still cleaned our floors regularly but mud/dirt wasn't a big problem except maybe 5-10 days a year.

it's not just mud any type of shoe catches little rocks and pebbles and sand on the sole

>walk through old chewing gum
>walk through the dried remains of peoples' spit
>walkt through the dried remains of dog pee
>UR NAWT GOHNTA HAVE ANYTHING ON YER FEET HWHICH WASNT ALREADY DERR

antre. from french "entree" i think

Rocks sure, but sand in going to be in your home already because it's a desert and that shit never leaves.
You have some dumb fucking ideas about how stuff sticks to shoes and/or how clean your home is.

Gum is certainly a thing but that's not exactly a hard problem to fix. And it's not like it's going to actually do anything to the floor, unless you mean carpet.

> i don't watch where I'm walking
> i don't know how to wipe my feet

>I make sure to avoid every piece of rock when I walk on the sidewalk

wind closet.

It's called the porch

Landing

Finally someone said it

In Norwegian it's called "gang". But I don't recall ever hearing an English name for it.

It's called a doormat you fuck. You wipe your shoes and it dislodges the pebbles. Anything bigger than that you should have noticed and removed yourself.

předsín or hala

>he actually believes doormats work well enough to justify wearing shoes indoors
please stop embarassing your fellow countrymen

>wearing shoes inside house
For Christ's sake America. What kind of animal are you?
Do you even switch to indoor shoes?

If you live in a relatively clean dry environment then it should. Right now I live in Hawaii and know that it won't work.

The fact that this still confuses you makes me worry about you.

Hausflur

dry environments are full of sand. and unless you live inside a plastic bubble or a controlled environment like a laboratory there's no environment clean enough that you won't bring in little rocks and stuff with your shoes. just accept it and stop deluding yourself with muh doormat

Porch

Motherfucker if you live in a desert there will always be sand and dust in your home anyways. And you seem very concerned about pebbles which is baffling me because that has literally never been a problem in my life(hint: because I wiped my shoes on a doormat).

my family has always called it a breezeway, don't know if anybody else calls it that

This, though "entré" works just fine and gives you a better understanding of what the room is.

>I've always walked inside with shoes
>there's always sand inside anyway
???
buy a vacuum cleaner and stop bringing your shoes in the house genius

It's a mud room.

Hallway

>deliberately baking your feet inside shoes instead of letting them breathe whenever you can

aaj

Take off shoes?!?!?!
WTF MAN

Your council estate is showing

If you're middle class it's the porch

If you're filthy rich it can be a foyer and not sound pretentious (if it is big enough) or whatever you want to call it