Does anyone else feel like english is very much different form the other gerrmanic languages?

does anyone else feel like english is very much different form the other gerrmanic languages?

>a shit ton of romance loan words
>irregular spelling
>way less mutual intelligibility with the other languages
>compound words are not written as one word
>no genders

thats because its a mixture of the two dumb dumb

Yeah, and I'm glad the Romans and Normans conquered us. Pure Germanic languages are autistic and ugly as fuck.

>implying english is pretty

you made this thread everyday and it's boring

As if you can tell the gender of Dutch words.
As if Dutch isn't mostly romance (if you count all words).
As if Dutch spelling rules aren't pulled out of our asses.

Far better than the retarded German dialect of Dutch

dutch spelling is consistent though. apart from french loanwords. english spelling is more like a suggestion than a rule.
also at least in dutch you can tell if a word is m/f or neutral.

>As if you can tell the gender of Dutch words.

yes you can. You know that "huis" is neutral; "het huis" and that "man" is common gendered: "de man"

>As if Dutch isn't mostly romance (if you count all words).
is isn't

>As if Dutch spelling rules aren't pulled out of our asses.
dutch is very consistent whereas english isn't.

Dutch is (mostly) phonetic due to multiple reforms, but the past tense with -d -t -dt -dd -tt - e -en rules make little sense (even to Dutch people).
And it's true that you can tell the difference between genderless words and words with a gender, but you can't tell the difference between male and female words.

Naah. i'm learning French at the moment and find it way more difficult then English.

the past tense with the -d-t -dt-tt always made sense to me. thats maybe because i learned german before i learned dutch.
what past tense with -e -en are you talking about? i dont seem to recall such a thing
yeah that is a pain that you cant tell the gender of masculine and feminine words.

>Dutch is (mostly) phonetic due to multiple reforms, but the past tense with -d -t -dt -dd -tt - e -en rules make little sense (even to Dutch people).

yes it does. Unless you are retarded. Even if you are too much of a vegetable to know the simple rules, it is still consistent.

>And it's true that you can tell the difference between genderless words and words with a gender,

exactly.

> but you can't tell the difference between male and female words.

"masculine and feminine" in dutch is a meme kept alive by the language union. 95% of dutch dialects today do not have the male/female destinction, just the common gender/ neuter destinction, same as in swedish and danish, which lost the male/female destinction long ago.

Hij bereidde zich voor < very important double d
Hij bereidt zich voor. < very important t do not forget
Ik mij bereid mij voor

Meanwhile in reality:
Wij berydu ons voor.

*Ik bereid mij voor

Added to many mij's desu.

ja mee eens, nog steeds consequent

>irregular spelling
>compound words are not written as one word
So fucking what? Spelling can change on a daily basis. Spelling does not change a language, it does not determine the character of a language. Spelling is a man made construct to visualise language. You could even start writing any language with Arabic or Georgian script or whatever and it would still be the same language.

That's doopin' mental

while it can be done, you need an actual reform and standardization to adopt a new script. some languages are sensitive to soft/hard vowels and consonants and using the wrong one can change the meaning of some words.

Have fun with our ~20 different tenses.

This is why I dont really like the way English does its words. For example lead and lead have the same spelling, yet are pronounced differently. You can criticize us all you want for our retarded spelling, but its very strict and follows clearly defined rules that allows to find other words from the same root more easily.

english is fucking shit which is part of the reason it's taught everywhere, i'm sure monkeys can be trained to speak it