Italians only started using tomatoes in their cuisine 400 years ago when the Spaniards brought tomatoes back from the...

>Italians only started using tomatoes in their cuisine 400 years ago when the Spaniards brought tomatoes back from the new world

Really makes you think

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maize#History
lionsroar.com/the-buddha-statue-found-in-an-ancient-viking-hoard/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spillings_Hoard
aob.oxfordjournals.org/content/100/5/1085.full
sbs.com.au/food/recipes/kangaroo-tail-italian-style
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato#Spanish_distribution
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>"""""traditional""""" italian food

Chili Peppers are also a New World vegetable, which is rather odd given their prominence in Southern Asian cuisine.

What did they eat before then?

How do Canadians pronounce "tomato", btw?

>greek flatbread with toppings
>somehow italians claim they invented it

why are italians appropriating native american cuisine? do italians even have culture?

And yet the Americans perfected it in any case.

Mostly ta-may-toe and toe-may-toe

>without america there would be no AHHH THAT'S ONE A-SPICEY MEATBALL

more proof that america is the cancer of the world

"American" cuisine?

test

Tomatoes and Chilis originated in Mexico, not the US

>Canada did what exactly? 400 years ago
really makes you think

Potatoes are from the new world too

BEEP BEEEP

Chocolate is mexican.
Suck that you fucking Mountain jews

no potatoes
no tomatoes

what did the mediterraneans eat, just olives and loaves of bread?

Cool

Well, someone's got to fill that role, and it just happened to be us after WW2.

>New World

>chili peppers
>vegetable
>also implying that tomatos are also vegetables

jesus christ john get a grip

Don't you mean meso and indoamerica? Beause I'm pretty sure Mexico was not a country back then, and things like corn grew outside our borders.

Yes. The odd fish or bird as well.

Every plant that produces an edible component is a vegetable, a term that also encompasses fruit.

but WE WUZ

"""""only""""" 400 years

pasta olive oil and bread probably

Well, Germans made kebab their national meal in 30 years.

Actually evidence suggests it originated in the Amazon Basin where it was first domesticated for its pulp, then it made its way to Mesoamerica where it was selected for its grains.

Don't bully our pastaniggers

No, I mean what is currently Mexico, the big round red tomato variety and the original domesticated capsicum species were originally developed as varieties by peoples whose descendants are calld Mexicans today.

Such was also the case for Maize
"Most historians believe maize was domesticated in the Tehuacan Valley of Mexico."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maize#History

That they were spread in pre-Columbine times doesn't mean that counts for shit, those were still the acomplishments of Mexicans, and it was from Mexico where they taken to Europe.

As a btw, the Italians had begun cooking with tomatoes a full half a century before the Mayflower landed on Plymouth.

The modern variety was developed in Mexico however, it's who domesticates the species to it's current form that counts as in pictured, that's the generations long cultural achievement of a civilization.

Cacao may well be Peruvian as biological taxa, but chocolate as a product is Mexican.

I will give Peru full credit for beans however.

I hope you new worlders aren't trying to claim achievements of tribal people you subdued and nearly genocided

>Irish only started using potatoes in their cuisine 400 years ago when the Spaniards brought potatoes back from the new world

no wonder they had a famine

The descendants of the people who lived in Tehuacan were slaughtered by the actual ancestors of the Mexican people, when they allied themselves with the Spanish against the Aztecs.

You're basically children of traitors.

>small mexican cob
>BIG FRENCH HYBRID

don't give them so much credit, their diseases did most of the work.

>be new worlder
>ingredients are all at your disposal for a perfect cuisine
>burger is your national food

disgusting

CHI

>400 years

that's twice as much as your country existed

Leaving aside Tehuacan was Nahua by the time of the Spanish conquest, much the same as the Tlaxcalan allies of the Spaniards, you can see just from the image you posted yourself most of the people of TENOCHTITLAN (different cities) survived the fall of their city, and these were in fact the people who mixed with the Spaniards first, as the Spaniards took their women for themselves while the Tlaxcalan returned to their home and continued joining in Spanish conquests as allies, as in pictured.

We are not white remember?

>Mexicans are the mutts of Spaniards and the natives who were to cowardly to fight back.
At least you got corn.

Not used for human consumption sadly enough unlike the near close to hundreds of varieties we have in Mexico which remains the diversity center for the crop, I'm sure those are perfectly suitable for producing corn syrup, animal feed or some other industrial uses however.

Pic completely unrelated.

There's only one species of cocoa (theobroma cacao), I think by species you actually meant to say subspecies (variety)

You mean mutts as opposed to useless showroom dog breeds? Whatever, all worthy peoples were born of a similar process, take for instance the Visigoth conquest of Iberia, apparently that would make you descende from the Scandinavians who were too timid to do anything but stay in their frozen wasteland waving goodbye the brave ones.

Yes, I I meant who takes the species and develops it currently used variety or form as I wrote.

Actually, around the parts where I'm from, huge viking treasures of silver and other goods have been found. People came back with what they traded and raided in other parts of the world.

lionsroar.com/the-buddha-statue-found-in-an-ancient-viking-hoard/

you're too articulate for a spic

explain yourself

>you know realizes Somalian pirates are descendants of Swedes
It all makes sense now.

Come home sons of Odin.

*now realize

You don't even know the half of it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spillings_Hoard
>The Spillings Hoard is the world's largest Viking silver treasure. The silver hoard consisted of two parts with a total weight of 67 kg (148 lb) before conservation and consisted of, among other things, 14,295 coins most of which were Islamic from other countries.

>Islamic
fug

Almost every single ingredient used in Europe came from Africa, Asia or America.

Leaving the typos and nitpicking Peruvians aside? I'm not sure what you're going for with this

Nah, that's a strawman, you're putting words in my mouth. if there's a variety being used in Peru for its flesh I'm perfectly happy to let you take credit for that, much the same as whatever varieties of maize or squash or tomato you may be using. Same thing with Italian tomato varieties for instance. I only jumped in here because of an American poster taking credit for tomatoes. And my original point does stand, Chocolate (the preparation made from Cacao) was developed in Mexico much the same as ketchup was developed in the US.

So rather than conquerors or timid farmers you're descended from rapists and thieves? Nice.

>muslims were at one time one of the major centers of civilisation while scandis were a bunch of uncivilised barbarian pirates
What else is new and groundbreaking in the field of history?

You sure?

>Tomato (Solanum lycopersicum) originated from the Andean region now encompassed by part of Chile, Boliva, Ecuador, Colombia and Peru. The time and place of domestication of tomato are not known with certainty.

>Two hypotheses have been advanced for the original place of tomato domestication, one Peruvian and the other Mexican. Although definite proof for the time and place of domestication is lacking, Mexico is presumed to be the most probable region of domestication, with Peru as the centre of diversity for wild relatives (Larry and Joanne, 2007).

aob.oxfordjournals.org/content/100/5/1085.full

"""European"""" cuisine

How's the abo cuisine like?

Better that that traitors.

And how we wished you all would go back there.

It's an acquired taste :D

"The large, lumpy variety of tomato, a mutation from a smoother, smaller fruit, originated in Mesoamerica, and may be the direct ancestor of some modern cultivated tomatoes."

Also
"The earliest discussion of the tomato in European literature appeared in a herbal written in 1544 by Pietro Andrea Mattioli," Which would be while SPaniards were still fighting the conquest of Peru while meanwhile Mexico had been under their control for two decades, which makes it much more plausible as a source.

So, while I'll agree there may be some matter to discuss here, preponderance of evidence points to Mexico as the source for the tomato now being used in Europe and around the world.

Nope, once again, Tlaxcalans remained in their state and contributed relatively little to mestizaje They remain there still in fact, although some migrated to the Bajío regions in order to populate them and help Christianize the locals. The nation's cultural heritage is largely Mexicah however, as the name for the nation or our coat of arms, I'm from the north, I haven't got a drop of Aztec blood in me, yet do acknowledge them as the spiritual forebears of my nation.

>it's a whose ancestors were shittier episode on Cred Forums

How does Kangaroo tail tastes like?

sbs.com.au/food/recipes/kangaroo-tail-italian-style

Forgot to source

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato#Spanish_distribution

Most Southeast Asian cuisine is derived from 18th and 19th century European explorers.

However, I'm pretty sure there are some pepper plants native to Oceania and Indochina

>The Aztecs were slaughtered by the ancestors to native Mexicans
>They are the spiritual fore-bearers of Mexico
Maybe you watered the ground with their blood, but nut much else.

>it's a whose ancestors were shittier
Undoubtedly Indian's, United Statesian's come as a close second

You can live without tomato sauce on your pasta

Potatoes aren't even a mediterranean thing, you should ask what they ate in ireland or northern europe in general

You must mean actual pepper because Chili peppers are from the Americas, and let's just leave it as some are from mexico before the Peruvian guy gets triggered and starts with the diversity center shit.

Nah I don't think so. They just had other peppercorns and other spices

>Swedes used to eat fish throughout most of history

Fucking what

Yes you're right. I thought that since some of Oceania drifted from America there would be strands surviving there, but I guess not.

They were not all slauughtered, can you even into math? And only Tenochtitlan was destroyed, nevermind there were other Mexicah city states like Tlatelolco, the Tepanec and Alcolhua were also Aztecs, in fact if we are going for the full expansion of Nahua peoples (most of which did fight loyally on Tenochtitlan's side prior to the capture of Cuauhtemoc, it's a pretty big chunk of Central Mexico, that's what's currently Mexico City and the states of Mexico, Morelos, Hidalgo and Puebla. You know shit about Mexico Sven.

Noice

Should be easy enough to solve through science. What's the spread on the genetics?

>Italians only started using noodles in their cuisine 60 years ago when Japan exported ramen after WW2

they used Garum before.

Dönertasche was invented in Germany. And it it's great.
Also I love Curry Wurst. But you know sausages are half meat and half butter....That's just pretty rich.

What is your national meal? From an outside view I'd say vendingmashine made Frikandels, with vendingmachine made tomatosoup and Vla off course.

mfw. why can't we have Vla?

I don't know that there's detailed genetic maps available, the closest I've got is this from Wikipedia which is much too broad, but going from linguistic criteria Nahuatl (that's the Aztec language) remains the mot spoken of Mexican Amerindian languages while the regions inhabited by Nahuas are today (and have been so historically) the most densely populated areas in the country. Even so, genetic mapping would be inconclusive for this particular purpose as the Tlaxcaltecs are also Nahua peoples, it's like you trying to tell Athenians from Spartans apart.

tradition?

I want you to think about how that alleged tradition is still considerably older than your entire country to be honest

fuuckeeh youuhe
littel runte cazzo

thats nothing, what about potatoes and the irish,

weed originated from india but the dutch and jamaicans are the biggest users

man that's so fucking tasty

I don't get it, it's not that we use tomato in every dish. Pasta and gelato are much older for instance.