Is prog rock kill?

Is prog rock kill?

Other urls found in this thread:

tidido.com/a35184372151666
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Unfortunately yes
Still hoping for a revival though

how would this old cuck react if I yelled "I pirated your entire discography" at a show?

He would literally die

You would literally die

An album I've written and making with some people at uni is a bit progressive rock, been wanting to do it for a while, nothing too airy fairy and artsy though, just standard british rock but a little more indulgent

Who can save it?

Robert Fripp would never harm a human, only their viddy-things

Not Steven Wilson
Is this album any good?

It sounds like Muse covering Disney songs

What will it take to revive it?

A goofball.

The third best of the five Acts.

no please, I don't want Tool-core bands

>implying

Why doesn't Cred Forums know shit about any prog past the most basic stuff from the 70s? Stick to indie and meme rap faggots

>Why doesn't Cred Forums know shit about any prog past the most basic stuff from the 70s
What's past most basic stuff from the seventies?

>Gentle Giant, Cardiacs, Magma, the list goes on

Avant prog, neo prog, alternative prog and heavy prog

Henry Cow and RIO shit?
Absolutely disgusting "music" you got there

It's probably the same kind of people who think jazz is dead

because it's dogshit

jazz actually is dead
Just listen to real classical/jazz you faglord

>liking prog past the 70's or 80's

It's all a decline from there

fusing it with trap

>muh dadprog is only good prog
Go to bed dad

all prog is dogshit

and new prog is just a shittier version of the old shitty prog

Kys

what about rap-prog?

t. Fantano Drone

The only thing I can think of is Scarsick by Pain of Salvation which was terrible

Post some god tier prog albums you faggots

lel nice arguments

There doesn´t seem to be much of it really. It doesn´t go into songs with more than 5 parts and different time signatures.The closest thing I´ve heard would be Subtle or Hamilton. Amybe I haven´t found something like it yet. What artists do you know that really would be fot into the rap-progressive category? Don´t say Busdriver or Deltron because those ain´t really

>all prog is dogshit

Clearly you've never attempted progressive rock serious. I've really found that anyone that actually puts their mind to listening and absorbing and enjoying progressive rock without all their preconceived notions drilled into them by punks that sold out just like the proggers did.

Tell me about your experience with progressive rock. Chances are you've never serious attempted to enjoy it. You're just told that it's self-indulgent crap and you don't even give it a try.

I like metal and prog but I hate prog metal with a passion. It really is wankery with no substance. Tell your friends.

b-but Ayreon

>pretending that it's some intellectual shit you need to analyze to enjoy
nigga im a fuckin jazz fan

Your prog is self-indulgent, pretentious, unemotional, and cheesy. But I bet you are the type of person who thinks that playing scales for 2 hours constitutes musical ability.

You're a meme. Kill yourself.

>I'm a jazz fan so i can't enjoy prog
Nigga you can't be this retarded

you're the literal definition of a post ironic dead meme

>implying im some sort of intellectual myself for pointing out a few things that im all hot and bothered about.
You do realize that prog rock has roots in blues and jazz, amoung others. Also the fact that jazz itself can be very progressive in the exact same way. Fuck off with your stupid shit

The massive shit that is Prog Metal killed Prog Rock
Metal is good
Prog is great
Prog Metal is a piece of shit
It's because of Prog Metal we have stuff like Ghost, Dream Theater and tool.
Here's a great chart, but I would change Ummagumma for The Piper at The Gates of Dawn, In The Court of The Crimson King for Larks' Toungues in Aspic and maybe add something by Camel instead of Close to The Edge.

fuck off grand[a, this is the best album of the decade and it's prog metal

Also, add something by Henry Cow.

are you sure you're qualified to make such a claim?
I'm going to have to check your credentials

>hurr durr he knows that older Prog is way better than modern Prog
>therefore he must be old
Fuck off kid, Prog Metal is shit and Tesseract is nothing more than ok.

I don't think so. Artists like Riverside, Steven Wilson are still working. Though SW once mentioned in his interview that he has no plans of getting into prog again. I just hope that is just a phase.

Mariuz Duda perhaps?

Yes user, holy fuck yes.
(except I like Ghost but whatever)

Coming through.

Yea

Wait another 20 years

Desu I like the Dear Hunter BUT they aren't going to save prog. If people try to copy them we'll just have indie rock with weird time signatures.

The Mars Volta and Porcupine Tree were great mainstream prog bands
Otherwise Yea

True
Prog doom when?

>tfw skipped the edgy phase and went directly to the good 70's shit
Also nice digits

>Prog doom when?

Some atmosludge stuff is pretty close.

It misses out on the later KC albums almost all of which are good until Discipline (which is still pretty good). Also this album but then again this album defines the word pretentious. I really wish it had just stopped at Altamont and ended on a cliffhanger, but then we wouldn't get The Seats Were Occupied which is the most mind-fucky thing I've ever heard.

You need to find this album. You can't have it praised to you as some god of prog.

This kinda true imo. If it's not, prove me wrong.
The only thing I've really found worthwhile in 2000's prog has been The Mars Volta's first 2 albums but those aren't for everyone and they definitely have their faults.
They aren't even really prog, just so complex they fit the definition.

Math rock is the new prog. Face it

This is too ironic to take seriously

>we'll just have indie rock with weird time signatures.

You don't like TTNG?

Lunatic Soul is like if Opeth never went through a death metal period.

Progressive hip hop is getting big

worst comes to worst you can sample the track which is nothing but orgasm moans

I AM TO COME I AM

I WAS

Is it really?

Seven Impale is great modern prog too

Rec me some essential proghop

Just dropped the next act btw

Not dead yet

seconding this

I LIKE FIRE, AND I LIKE RAIN

because prog evolved - or rather devolved into boring wankery

That was such a disappointing album, the first 2 are way better

You just have to listen to the right bands and ignore wankery and cheese like Dream Theater, Circus Maximus, third rate Meshuggah clones and Syphony X

Good prog metal bands:

Leprous (best band of the decade)
Devin Townsend (especially his early stuff)
Fates Warning and Voviod (prog metal pioneers)
Threshold and Early Pain of Salvation (traditional prog metal)
Vektor, Coroner and Nevermore (prog threash)
Wolverine, Votum, Riverside and Indukti (atmo prog)
Opeth, Edge of Sanity, Persefone and Ne Obliviscaris (prog death)
Cynic, Gorguts and Beyond Creation (tech death)
Enslaved and Ihsahn (prog black)
Mastodon, Intronaut, Baroness and the Ocean (prog sludge)
maudlin of the Well, Kayo Dot, Thy Catafalque, Arcturus, Sigh (avant-garde metal)
Amorphis, Barren Earth, Novembre and Green Carnation (prog with doom and gothic influence)

Most underrated nu prog band

I've never understood the word pretentious in realtion to prog rock. Another word that has been thrown around is self indulgence, which means that you're enjoying what you're doing and I don't see how that could be a valid point of criticism in regards to prog. Care to elaborate (if you're not just memeing)?

Sure, there are some bands that played songs in 6/8 and 7/8 for example just to show off, like ELP for example, but they also made great, but not so technically complex songs. I have a problem with understanding the words pretentiousness and self indulgence in regards to prog as a whole and why it gets overlooked just because of that.

Not him, but pretentious and self indulgent usually mean self-wankery, which for some people it puts them off from liking it. Some people like hearing others just play out a long, complicated thing, others just see it as the musician masturbating in your face, which is good for you, but they don't want any of it.

I've always felt that with prog, there's a fine line between being cheesy but self-aware and cheesy but lacking self-awareness. I've found that good prog bands walk the line very precariously, while bad prog bands go on either side.

Good example of prog would be Faust's first album and King Crimson's first album. Prog that takes itself too seriously would be like Dream Theater and a lot of other prog metal bands. Stuff that's too self aware would be a lot of 80s prog.

"wankery" is apointless criticism used by indie fags for anything that has more than 4 chords

Which bands would you label as being pretentious besides ELP? And I didn't really understand the criticism of Aphrodite's child 666. There's a song called ''Infinity'', which is basically a woman simulating an orgasm. Knowing that the whole album is thematic and that it depicts stories from the Bible, I couldn't really understand the criticism of that particular song. It's about a whore of Babylon. It's certainly not something you'd want to listen to with your parents, but it makes sense in a concept album like that.

I feel that's the case with Allan Holdsworth too. He basically reinvented the instrument and he's definitely on of the most technicality proficient guitar players and people are turned off by his music based on that fact alone. He has made some timeless songs in my opinion, no matter how technically proficient a musican has to be to be able to perform them. And some of those are: Tokyo dream, Where is one, Hazard profile part 1, etc. And sadly, that's not the case with him, but with the whole prog as a genre.

>iking prog past the 70's
There is barely prog from before that and is was at baby stages, I would say that early seventies were the GOAT prog years

This, metal turns everything it touches to shit.

Don't let anyone find out that cantbury scene is the best scene

>likes jazz
>berates others for liking pretentious self-indulgent music

kek

Bump

and sounds like dreck anyway

>dissing Guthrie Govan
kys

Is this prog?
If yes it deserves a spot in that patrician Prog image.

YES

>new
I'm pretty sure Math Rock was created in the 80's.

which image tho'?
nice digits

That pic is good but it could be expanded.

if you like soft machine and have not listened to pic relatd you totally should so

Bump!

>beyond creation
it's so fucking good

also obscura

It's obviously prog folk

He would condescendingly stare him into death. Fripp is an unparalleled master of british stare-fu.

Why is Fripple so autistic, why doens't he let his discography enter Spotify?

I'm not really familiar with music streaming services, but I think there's got to be atleast one that has King Crimson's discography.

These are the greatest prog albums of all time.

Find a flaw.

Meh, who cares about flaws about lists. At least you gave people some recommendations.

Nope, there is no music streaming service with Crimson in it.

ITCOCK and not Larks
Ummagumma and not Piper
Unrest and not fucking In Praise of Learning
Dream Theater being in the list and 666 only as a honorable mention

Check this out
tidido.com/a35184372151666

>Ummagumma and not Piper
Dumbest post ive read today, good job

>Unrest and not fucking In Praise of Learning

He rates both 8/10, probably chose Unrest because it was earlier

I think I'll start listening to those bands and reading Dawkins.

their second album is fantastic too

i prefer unrest (and legend)

Prog metal can be pretty good if its done right.

sounds more like retro metal to me

Why does nobody talk about this album here? It's fantastic.

>indie rock with weird time signatures

that's called math rock

Both of their albums are great. I'm in for for everything Allan's ever done though.