I seriously hope none of you guys are getting a major in music

I seriously hope none of you guys are getting a major in music

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=k-7xfBrjSA0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

nah, I'm getting a doctorate in pharmacy though

Of course not. Why would anyone major in something other than STEM majors?

God no

Mine is International business with a minor in foreign affairs, but I'm getting a band together to see if we can get shows and put out some stuff on the side.

i have a friend whos getting her degree in music and she only listens to gorillaz and daft punk. i try to get her to listen to good music but she doesnt like anything

How are job prospects for international business?

>gorillaz
>not good

kys

I happen to be a 20 year old with musical talent who's studying music at university. Who are you? I'm guessing a basement dweller lmao

At least there'll be a basement to dwell in at the end of the day. You'll be selling gum wrappers behind the local grocery store.

People starting bands and shit usually have limited taste, while the people knee deep in obscure bullshit with an encyclopedic knowledge of the history of modern music are just losers with no gf who don't go outside

's right ya' know

the undeniable truth
>learning anything other than STEM in uni as opposed to books and the net
kek

>when gender studies majors run their mouth at you about how their major is more important than your STEM based major

>when gender studies majors ACTUALLY pick gender studies and it's not just a meme

I wish it was just a meme

p. bad

but I'm doubling in music and physics

you double in a STEM and a non-STEM
what is wrong with you?

Is there any way to take philosophy and not come off as pretentious?

good luck getting a job after college

is there any way to take philosophy and come out of it with job opportunities?

>mfw i already got a major in music

too late user

I like two subjects

same to you bud

majoring in STEM is like pretty much like shopping for a job. If you dont major in STEM then I say good luck to you

Fuck college I'm gonna be a rockstar

STEM is so boring though. I can't even feign the remotest amount of interest in it.

as someone who's going to become a psychiatrist, i'm not worried at all about getting a job.

>STEM
>boring
If I thought STEM was boring I would've ended it all already.

as someone who's going to be a computer engineer, im worried about having to sift through all the possible jobs I could have and try and narrow that down. It insane how much opportunity an engineer has

>tfw CS

this

gonna form a band or make my own music on the side, life's pretty good desu

Actuarial sciences and gonna sell art on the side, life IS good.

A 20 year old with a higher IQ than you studying a science at a major university

>being a code monkey

>being poor

>not being a code wizard

>PhD in math
>any job I want
>$300k starting
what was that about being poor?

>tfw form a post punk band with all psychiatrists

Since when do math majors make money

t. Degree in English, recieved a rude awakening upon graduation

>maths major
kek
what money?

this is an argument over the general person with a major, not some special farfetched case like the one you got there

Yeah, I was pretty sure you had to have an actual applied science to make decent money

Maybe it's because you majored in a gay subject

pic related

Damn bruh that dude be making serious math money

dude, if you're an english major, then you got meme'd. Thats all there is to it

>college is a meal ticket I can just continue being an aspie and get one of them good jobs

my favorite meme
>mfw people bitch and piss and moan and whine about "b-buh dey axe fo job 'xperience tho" all over the internet and nobody fucking realizes that they expect you to lie about it

>tfw your field is going to be flooded by dudebros and pakis in 5 years

please stop this!

Are you really this insecure?
I'm studying music and the graduates I know are mostly doing well and working on music abroad.
>inb4 studying music cause couldn't do anything else
may be true in my case, but a lot of my mates are very smart people who got very high scores on college entrance exams and finally decided to study what they loved.

It's already happening
t. Second year CS student

Studying what you love is a dumb meme. What you love should stay as a hobby. That way you won't grow to hate it

Not studying what you love is a good way to become depressed because you realize you hate your job.

sad but true

you fell for the meme

Except that the surplus in supply of STEM nerds = less demand for them.

Literally everyone is a STEM major now. There's at least 200 students in any biology class these days. There's literally no way that these folks are all going to make it. They're all going to compete for the best grades, have the best credentials, and tell their future employers that they'll be willing to work harder than anybody else, that they have no detrimental flaws, and that they'll work longer hours just to slave away in a lab. You'll study for hours upon hours making sure you "make it". The difference between you getting the job and someone else is as little as a single test answer. You will have no friends, you will have no social life, and you will have no room to explore hobbies.

Either that or you'll get an unpaid internship where you'll be told how grateful they are to get coffee for the big named professor who leeches off your research, slaps their name in bold print on the cover of the abstract, and presents your findings as his own.

It's the ultimate cucking of society. You'll work 40+ hours a week living in a small studio apartment, barely able to afford rent because you now live in a big city where all the jobs are. You'll have almost no personal time of your own, no hobbies, no time for relationships or friends. You're an isolated lab rat, diligently working for the little piece of cheese at the end of the maze only to find that the maze does not end. You'll work until you're the ripe age where you're finally able to rest. That ripe age is death, of course as social security will by then be beyond bankrupt.

Some of this is sadly true...
some of it seems painfully pretentious.

>seems
as in you dont know?
as in you arent someone who is majoring in STEM?
as in you only heard about such things?

It been like that since the beginning. It doesnt matter at all how much people there are majoring in it because there will always be something new, and more problems to solve. This whole delusion about its a sad world for that of a STEM major these days is fucking hilarious

I went in undeclared and seeing the way CS was going made me steer clear of it which is a damn shame cause I like programming

you steered clear of something you like just because a bunch of faggots happened to be majoring in the same thing?

That was a pretty dumb decision

ITT insecurity

Don't think anyone's mentioned going into security ITT.

No I steered clear of it because the field is going to be flooded with H1Bs and retards. As in the labor supply is going to be much higher than the demand

Everyone and their dog have a bachelor or master in something these days. It's become as worthless as a high school diploma.

Unless you have connections, you're not going anywhere.

exactly

You're assuming everyone has the choice to do whatever they feel like, regardless of consequences. For most people in this world, you have to compromise, sometimes more, sometimes less.

>Attending University of San Francisco
>Junior
>Anime major
>Already piled up to ~130,000USD of tuition
Why did i choose this major

what the fuck is an anime major?

>econ and music major
it works

>anime major
not even joking, what is this
how big of a fucking weeb are you

Fucking what even is this

Animation?

yeah but
>major
wat?

>Degree in Entertainment Business
>Literally every opportunity and applicable piece of information I've had has been self made
>Thought at least that I'd get some good contacts through the internship program
>Forced to quit other internship and ditch the only practice day I had for one of my more successful bands
>Don't learn a god damn thing except for how to send emails for lazy fucking PR jerks
>Have actively had all progress in my career in the industry set back by at least a year and a half

Just go to shows three nights a week and be friends with everyone, fuck. What a waste of time. To be fair though, my degree got me a job at Woolworths.

>major in Film and Television
>live in Australia

ahahaha just fuck my shit up

should have listened to my parents and become a pilot like my dad

oh god, I wish I could be a pilot!
maybe one day

>live in Adelaide
>any job
>any opportunities

fuck that i'm out of here

you guys have some good bands in Adelaide.

I mean, you're not quite Hobart level isolationist underground punk scene but still bretty gud.

Music is all we got senpai
and I'm not musician

Seems there's a oversaturation in the job market across the board. Is there any field there's a need or are we a generation without job prospects?

just start playing.

>He didn't get into Julliard

Too busy painting and studying STEM to start playing, although my friend wants to start a lo-fi band... but what money is there in being in a local lo-fi band?

abosulutely fucking none
dont fall for that meme

>majoring in music
>not interested in classical music
literally what's the point

Underrated posts. I already know people like this. It's very sad, and true.

same

>STEM majors didn't learn about supply and demand
The irony.

godspeed anons

kek

Money? What?

Play for fun and to enhance your artistry. You paint, too? How cool would it be to be multi-disciplinary and be able to make your own designs for the band?

Literally anyone can make something cool on a crappy Yamaha/Casio, especially if yr just trying to have fun.

this goes back to the argument of playing as a hobby and not as a living. Playing for a living is stressful no matter how you put it and only a handful of people make it out pretty happy.
and I mean genuinely happy

I'm dual majoring in Japanese and English to teach overseas, I switched from German because the job climate looks better. Majoring in arts or humanities with plans to stay in America is a joke.

This. If you live in a college town go to the hip market district you definitely have and busk on street corners. It's normally a free gig if there aren't restrictions on street performers where you live. Go with either an acoustic guitar or a small amp and a cocktail drum set for your friend. You can play whatever you want so long as it isn't outwardly offensive.

spot the double digit iq

>go into social work
>never be replaced by robots
Sure I'm going to burn out and kill myself in 25 years but it'll be fun while it lasted

>grew up poor
>got into uni with good grades, scholarship money, and pell grant
>direct admissions into moderately-high ranked business school
>Decided to go with Business Analytics/Information Systems
Never going to have to worry about money again. Thats my goal.

genuinely lol'd

What does it take to get a music major? What classes are we talking here?
I remember a lot of the girls who were not as smart but not so dumb went into it but don't know if any ever finished going through with it.

you could go to law school

I'm majoring in concept art

There are a lot of job opportunities for STEM majors, and a lot of those jobs are shitty. I can see how someone could end up in a situation where they are working too much and it's too hard to find a better opportunity. Bad luck.

But if you take an unpaid internship and don't take credit for your own work, it's your own fucking fault if you get screwed.

>2016
>going to school
>contributing to society
youtube.com/watch?v=k-7xfBrjSA0

yeah man how else are you gonna listen to all that chiptune with school in the way?

My friend majored in music and she's not super smart. A lot of what she did was performance so you couldnt do it unless you have exceptional ability to sing or play an instrument. There are more academic degrees like musicology, I don't know how much musical ability you'd need for that.
On a side note, she's 25 and works in a sandwich shop.

I'm sorry OP

>cucking yourself to a boss and the school system so that anonymous strangers don't assume you listen to uncool music

nah mate i've made it already

Getting paid for your art is extremely satisfying. There's bullshit to jump through, but playing the game is half the fun.

It shows you how young this board is. I don't know many people who work in a field directly related to their major.

You should be, honestly. Unless you are an actual psychiatrist who has a steady, stable job, you should definitely not be thinking "life is good" yet. Psychiatry is a big field that's going to open up a LOT in the next thirty years or so, which is very exciting, but it means the field is going to be swamped with applicants and not enough good schools to educate them all, leading to much more selective programs. And then on top of that you need to do a residency, which is a lot trickier in psychiatry than it is for most other specialties.

Also when you say "someone who's going to be a psychiatrist" rather than "someone who's in med school," I'm assuming you're still doing undergraduate work and haven't taken the MCAT yet. Listen, I have the same plan, but it's not life on easy street no matter how smart you are. Major in something where you could get a job as a fallback if things don't work out first (I'm going for nursing) this way if things don't work out you still have a way of making money, or maybe you could get a masters and be a physician's assistant or something (also a very swamped field). But if you do go psych, make sure you keep a 4.0, and you should also be working / volunteering in a hospital by now so you have some clinical / patient experience. All that is pretty much the bare minimum to be eligible.

I'm not trying to stomp on your toes or anything, but I'm just telling you how many people I've seen say "yeah I'm gonna be a psychiatrist" or "veterinarian" or whatever other cool doctorate field there is, and then end up dropping / switching majors because they realize it's a shit ton more than getting good grades and even then it's still competitive - even people already in med school.

You should always be worried about getting a job until you ACTUALLY HAVE ONE.

Which jobs do music majors usually go for? I can only think of becoming a performer (which is probably extremely competitive) and teaching. What else is there?

My school has three different paths
>performance
This is where you spend 5000000 hours practicing your instrument and hating your life meanwhile the first chair clarinettist next to you practices for 2 every week and still does better than you. You take a billion 1 unit lessons and ensemble classes as well as theory and aural skills.
>composition
You learn how to write weird postmodern music. Still have to take a shit ton of lessons but they're designed towards composition rather than practicing scales. Theory and aural skills as well.
>music studies
This one has three different paths in of itself. Western Art emphasis which is what you should take if you're not a cuck. Advanced theory and music history. You have to write one giant paper your senior year. You probably want to become a professor if you're doing this.
Ethnomusicology emphasis in which you study African kangs banging on drums n shiet.
General music studies aka "I'm just going to college because my parents told me to and I like Taylor Swift I guess". You literally just have to take intro to theory and a bunch of "sports, music, and you" bullshit classes.
Every music studies major has to take "intro to music studies" which is a waste of time.

>2016
>not going into language translation, a field that is both enriching and in demand
what the fuck are you all doing with your lives

>tfw psych major
>tfw I realize I'm surrounded by fucking retards but my dream is to be a musician
>my backup dream is to be a police officer
It's too much

Honestly if it's between psych, music, and police officer, go police officer, you'll get awesome benefits. Try to live in a nice area though so you don't have to shoot a minority and get fucked by the media.

Go psych if you're willing to bust your ass, see this As for musician, just practice and socialize and put shit out there and hope one day it takes off I suppose. I don't play an instrument so I can't relate, music is strictly a hobby for me

piggoes get out

Ok I was wondering how deep music in college went. I assume Performance, Compostion, and advanced music theory are the actual tough ones, but how do jobs turn out for them. I mean with performance and composition I'm guessing you could go and perform but where do most Advanced music theory guys go?

>where do most Advanced music theory guys go?
Grad school and become professors. Write books, journals, newspaper articles.

That sounds cool, wish I could have done that in college. I've been studying music theory for a couple months and I wish I had an actual professional teacher instead of learning everything from pirated books/online.

>so you don't have to shoot a minority
but that's the best part

There are always going to be native speakers who are better than people who studied a language for like 4 years though.

tbqh Biology gets literally all the boring Med School people who don't want to do anything rad like BSc in Anthropology so its of course really oversaturated.

However I kind of agree its really only worth doing Engineering anymore or a niche social science for the lulz, like Psych/Anthro. Marketing research is blowing up right now like a mothafucka and if you can do data analysis and ethnographies you will be pretty in demand.

Math/Physics/Economics/Bio/Chem all pretty much memes. Econ is okay but forces you to pretty much double major which sucks, it guarantees almost a 100k debt. Math is all right but you need to be fucking insanely good.

You can see the writing on the wall which is fine, come on like Google won't create programming robots in literally like 10 years, lets get real.

Umm someone needs to be making dis Pixar shit, maybe he's learning to do that which sounds fun AF, possibly not worth 200K fun.

I kinda like Marketing/Entrepreneurship/Make a start up with some dude. Sales always is in style at minimum.

Did you look at foreign universities for these degrees? Its retarded how cheap they are.

You my friend have life figured out.

I'm fine with sciences and humanities but music theory was just incomprehensible to me in school, it made almost no sense to me.

Is Econ worth it if I don't have to pay for tuition though? It's pretty much the only subject that interests me enough to study in-depth that won't leave me working at Starbucks.

>Did you look at foreign universities for these degrees? Its retarded how cheap they are.

>mfw i study italian, latin and literature in croatia
>i literally spend more money on my guitar than on college
>guaranteed a job

That's only MAYBE true in countries where students are taught to know IMMACULATE English by the time they're adults. While English is widely taught in Japan for example, it isn't something that students always retain it's not like your average native speaker will know enough to accurately translate into perfect English.

You're also assuming that people who grow up with two native languages always want to go into a language field.

>That's only MAYBE true in countries where students are taught to know IMMACULATE English by the time they're adults. While English is widely taught in Japan for example, it isn't something that students always retain it's not like your average native speaker will know enough to accurately translate into perfect English.
The know immaculate Japanese though. I was also talking about people who were raised bilingually.

>You're also assuming that people who grow up with two native languages always want to go into a language field.
No, I'm just assuming there are enough of them.

What kind of translating do you want to go into? I don't want to shit on anyone's goals, I think it's good you're doing something you're interested in, it's just that from what I've heard, the pay sucks.

I dropped out of college years ago.

Maybe I'll re-enter once the professional job market in America actually opens the fuck up. Until then, I've got my eyes set on trade school.

Fuck ffzg no jobbo 4 u

>No, I'm just assuming there are enough of them.
I would imagine that language translation is still less flooded than a bunch of other fields, which by comparison makes it decent in that sense. It really depends on the language, like I said.

>What kind of translating do you want to go into?
I study Japanese and am particularly interested in the writing system/kanji. It would be pretty cool to get into translating old texts or something, but it's not like I actually have any real expectations of doing that kind of stuff yet.

>it's just that from what I've heard, the pay sucks.
Pretty sure it just depends on who you're doing translation work for. If you end up being an ambassador for some large company for example, I'm sure that the pay is more than decent enough. I'm not totally in it for money anyway; studying language and being multi-lingual is enriching and can benefit someone in many other ways.

>tfw taking History
>far too late to double major in Education for those sweet STEM opportunities

Whatever, atleast I can tell people when every past world civ shit the bed.

Here you need a special permission to do a double major, do you also need that in the US (or wherever you live) or can you just decide that for yourself?

>studying language and being multi-lingual is enriching and can benefit someone in many other ways.
Agreed, I was raised bilingually (German and English) and I'm minoring in East Slavic Studies (Russian) starting in October. Good luck with your studies!

Film Production major here. Almost done and I've found a great group of people that I can find work with.

Things are going to be ok.

You just have to request it and they will probably accept it. They might deny you if you're trying to double in engineering and something else (since engineers are on tight schedules) but that's on a school by school basis I think.

I'm grateful for being somewhere in between those two

It's pretty comfy.

Isn't it? I've got some plans for the future

teacher
every. damn. time

other than that you could make your way writing but you don't need a degree for that so who knows

>I didn't do STEM so now I have to make up bullshit