/prod/ Tripping Edition

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

>LEARNING RESOURCES

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtu.be/TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtu.be/atvtBE6t48M

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/znb240tl
clyp.it/xkeu5ty4
soundcloud.com/lemmyrodul/kf2d3/s-Z3w4P
clyp.it/w5ybq0n0?token=2a18667e23639e14d6783bd7b1942371
clyp.it/f14o3bde
clyp.it/p5ov1mpn
clyp.it/iiymeghu
clyp.it/22pz4xer
youtube.com/watch?v=K1oH4EVqZMk
youtube.com/watch?v=LopsfvHFeHE[/spoiler]
clyp.it/uxksxcp2
clyp.it/qf4zq53y
youtu.be/ypgiTy8ZvFo
hiphopdrumsamples.com/collections/flash-drives
clyp.it/m3zqg0iz
clyp.it/1qxoyo4f
clyp.it/zeq0zqbs
clyp.it/4crvwcaf
clyp.it/5uca2ekj
clyp.it/ljrrr0sp
clyp.it/fujg5wza
clyp.it/4zdrkdun
clyp.it/1lieuxsq
clyp.it/jbxis3qo
clyp.it/zhcgja2q
clyp.it/hn5ebffw
clyp.it/csj5p5il
clyp.it/arxhfsaa
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

clyp.it/znb240tl

what else can I add to the bridge lads?

>wonky

clyp.it/xkeu5ty4

Help with Fl Studio's Harmor. How do i stop unison from giving me random sound every time? Pic related are my unison settings.

I feel like at the 1:30 mark or so you could add a solo from some random ass synth/instrument. Just a suggestion

I'm making tracks for this vidya, it's still a work in progress.

I know some specific things are to change, but I'd be very happy if some metal anons were to give me some feedback on this WiP. Kiss.

soundcloud.com/lemmyrodul/kf2d3/s-Z3w4P

>Metal
>Video Games
>Killing Floor 2

I hate to be that guy, but why is it so hard to find a Sylenth download??
The one on TPB is from fucking 2008. And everywhere else is "preset packs" goddamn.
Anyone know of any places?

Interesting. Definitely has a Oneohtrix Point Never vibe. I think it should build a little quicker at 1:50 because it gets kind of abrasive for awhile when it's just that synth. I like the choir parts

It's cool, not too distracting which I think is good for video games

still really new but I like how this track turned out

clyp.it/w5ybq0n0?token=2a18667e23639e14d6783bd7b1942371

any final suggestions about the mix or opinions in general?

Yeah it's chill. At 0:40 when it's doing that fast synth loop, you should add more notes to the loop or octaves maybe

clyp.it/f14o3bde

just rape me

i like it

clyp.it/p5ov1mpn

I think Im pretty much finished with this. any suggestions or comments are appreciated,

>working on a track
>"wow this actually might be pretty good"
>realize I've been working in session view and all of my scenes are fucked up, disorganized and unnamed
>panic and quit

Just record you playing the session into a a track then you can build off of that in arrangement mode

Why not just record the played session itself - clicking the record button and playing the clips in Session View places all clips played and parameters changed into their respective tracks in Arrangement View. Save each take as a different file name within the same project folder and then re-open the original to get a blank Arrangement View again so you can have another go.

>mfw I didn't know you could do that
This changes everything.

It's strange how different people pick up different things - it was pretty much the first thing I found but after that I hit the manual hard, thinking "what the fuck else can this do?"

poorfag here

should i get reaper or fl studio fruity edition?

probably gonna get fl because it has way more tutorials.

right choice?

Pirate FL

both are shit.

Step 1: download ableton

Step 2: be happy

sincerely, a cubase user

actually, i think i have a copy of abelton lite. it might be a version old now though and i don't really want to pay to update

Add a very high synth/pad, reverb style, on the background. It'll make a great track.

More reverb on the lounge synth would allow to give some space to the track, because the bass is taking all the space but it's not a very rich bass.

what exactly do you mean by not very rich bass? is it lacking a low or high end?

clyp.it/iiymeghu

weird sounds wow !!! woeaher

I mean it's a simple line of bass yet powerful, but it's directly in your face in that mix so it's eating the song and we notice how simple it is.

If it's supporting a little bit more the whole song, the simplicity will not be a problem and we can still groove at it with our ear being not only focused on it.

Do you tune your drums /prod/?

so just lowering it in the mix to make it doesnt take up so much space? thanks

>be noob
>all keeps saying "just go ham 'till you

idk what the fuck im doing, im just LITERALLY mixing two songs, cut, edit, and shit(but hey, it sounds good, at least for me). im not even combining the tempo or whatnot, is it okay to fuck around as a newb? or watch tutorials right away? i wanna post it but i didnt do any work, literally combined two songs

>till you feel comfy
sorry

Just as long as you're having fun, m8

The overall mix sounds over-compressed to me. The clap is super loud in the intro then gets noticeably quieter once the beat comes in.

The bassline is also clashing with the kick. I would cut the low end out of it and push up the highs so that the kick is the main driver for the beat (Alan Braxe Intro for example), but pitching up and cutting the low end out of the kick is also an option. As it stands it sounds muddy.

Unless it's the clyp that makes it sounding more heavy on the bass. Sorry I'm the only one giving an opinion, someone else might hear something else.

whoever guesses the samples (no one will) will get a prize ;]

thanks dude, i am having fun. i really want to get into producing but i just dont know where to start.
okay here it is. babby's first step.
clyp.it/22pz4xer

hope someone here, who has a time, can finish it or do it perfectly, cause i really wanna hear like a finished one. [spoiler]samples: youtube.com/watch?v=K1oH4EVqZMk and youtube.com/watch?v=LopsfvHFeHE[/spoiler]

clyp.it/uxksxcp2

I moved some parts around and did some other stuff

clyp.it/qf4zq53y

posted this last thread but didn't get any replies
1. are the drums completely stupid? I have no idea about programming drums, are they too busy? not enough variation? too mechanical?
2. how do you make 'richer' chords? do I just play from more octaves or do I have to complicate them?
3. is the bass just weird

Everything works except the kick, it sounds like the drummer has restless leg syndrome.

Easy.
youtu.be/ypgiTy8ZvFo

>posted this last thread but didn't get any replies
Probably because you didn't give feedback.

Nice mashup, it works pretty well imo

funny you should say that, it kind of applies to me I guess even if I don't play drums
preferably they should be spastic but if I isolate the kick it really is just erratic
I'll do that but I don't feel qualified really

Post cool /prod/-related shit to waste your money on

hiphopdrumsamples.com/collections/flash-drives

alright, I'm trying to clean it up a little. how's this?
clyp.it/m3zqg0iz

I changed the kick to a cleaner one with a higher end, decompressed the whole thing, sidechained the bass to the kick and cleaned up some mud on the pads.

started this today, don't know if just flipping the sample is compelling enough on its own

clyp.it/1qxoyo4f

the kick pattern feels overly complex compared to the rest of what's going on. I would drop the 16th notes

Should I get a 555 or a Push 2?

you can get richer chords by adding 7ths and 9ths and also changing one or two notes from any chord up or down an octave

Sounds cool to me, I don't know how I feel about that "bwah!" though

I'm pretty good
clyp.it/zeq0zqbs

that rising synth before the drop is really out of tune
other than that this is really groovy and interesting

Is there an osc reset function?

90% of these threads is just about purchases or people posting their own tracks for kudos

there is hardly any actual discussion of production and when it is, it's basic stuff

why don't you make a seperate feedback and gear purchases thread and use this thread to talk about actual tips n tricks

Because the threads would die, this one barely holds on sometimes even with all the link shitposting

I suppose, but I haven't learned a single thing from these generals and i'm not even good

Don't think you ever will. Browsing these threads is more useless than getting a degree.

Why what do you want to talk about?

How would one git good?

I'd like to know people's favorite idiosyncrasies of gear or effects chains they like

I keep an eye out for artists who pop up online to see if they spill any secrets and when they do it's pretty specific good stuff

Like there was this one guy from flying lotus's label who showed people how to make stock drum sounds sound exactly like a vinyl breakbeat using chains of static phasers, tycho made a big post about parallel processing and i seem to remember com truise on watmm talking about soundtoys crystallizer

there's more i cant remember right now but it goes way beyond what you see in the magazines

Make music, ask for feedback, focus on always improving?

As a more known producer I can happily say that I would love to talk about more in depth things - I gave someone a huge lesson on LFOs, parameters, modulation last week on here. Just 1) I do not have the time to sit and discuss something for long often and 2) most people here on 4chin prod ask BASIC questions because they are learning. If I happen to see a more in depth question in my down time I happily answer and discuss. And no we don't always say lots in interviews but for the most part I do try to explain as much as I can. What gets written in and edited is up to others. Just my 2 cents worth....

Sorry, man. Wish I could hold a discussion with you, but I'm still pretty new to /prod/

>$ 3 9 . 9 9

Cubase is comfy af

is there like a site or something that "deconstructs" songs? like tell you what instruments were used in it and such? there are some songs i really like the sound of them and want to use something similar but i can't tell what instruments or effects were used and such just from hearing.

Fan sites for specific artists are good for this if they have a forum, as are fan sites for specific instruments and brands of instrument. Genre-specific forums (like techno forums) and even music technology forums like the Ableton forum are useful - the music tech forums are good for spotting presets used in songs.

Equipboard is useful for well-known artist instrumentation catalogues and you can sometimes pick up enough from browsing here and from fan sites to do the rest of the detective work yourself.

What audio interfaces do you fucks use? I need to get one.

I use apogee symphony i/o.

clyp.it/4crvwcaf

After making this I felt like it was too simple sounding? Like it's too simple in its arrangement for it to be thought of as a serious beat. Do I have enough going on? Or did I end up relying too much on the original chords? What are your thoughts?

clyp.it/5uca2ekj

Looking for some advice here, I've never really written a song before. I'm thinking what I've got is a good base, but I need to add drums, change the end and potentially add a bridge or something to change it up. Any advice would be sweet

>clyp.it/4crvwcaf
Alright, I think you need to increase the mids, or adjust the filter so the lead is mostly in the mid section. Also, didn't sound like there was much of a difference between each note in the melody, probably due to the filter

I posted this last night but only got one reply, r8

>clyp.it/ljrrr0sp

clyp.it/5uca2ekj
Good start. However, it is quite repetitive. Try to make the main guitar's melody over 4 bars with minor alterations, as it keeps the listener interested.

r8

>clyp.it/ljrrr0sp

Thanks, I'll look into that.

newbie here just got ableton. how do i take a sound and make a synth out of it? if i sample part of a song i want to be able to play it. I know how to assign it to a key, tune the sample, etc. But how do i "stretch" the sample so its not like just 1/8th or 1/4th note. I want to be able to play it like a piano and be a more sustainable sound, instead of just a quick snippet of a song

why do you guys use the same picture for your OP every time?

For short samples that you want to play an extended version of you have a couple of options - you could time-stretch the sample so it plays for a longer period but the process adds artifacts to the sound, sometimes that works in the sound's favour but often it doesn't.

Alternatively (and this is how older ROMplers worked) you can set a loop section in the middle of the sample that will play indefinitely while you hold a key down, then you set a fade for the release after you let the key back up.

Because it's a time honoured tradition

And crazily enough someone who is actually related to one of the band members posted here

Neither. The Roland has a lot of useless features and a lot you would want and don't get with the push or mpc. However, the push is not worth the money and I have tried and don't like the pads. Save up for an mpc or just get a maschine honestly.

indecipherable

avid mbox or focusrite. Can't go wrong with any selection they all have primarily the same hardware and drivers

>it's too simple in its arrangement for it to be thought of as a serious beat
It's not in the sound design hoemi it's the chords bruhbruh. You could have some more going on too but this is trap so it honestly doesn't matter the whole genre is a joke. If you want it to sound better change your chords they're dull and amateur.

Good start. This is definitely not a finished product. Vocals, some lofi/vintage drum machine sounds, ambience/foley, and a little more polished on the songwriting and she's good to go. It helps with a song like this to have a little more than 2 chords as well.

No rhythm. I can't really put my finger on it but for some reason I can't bump to it. The sounds aren't all that great to begin with but then you use them in a very dry (lack of a better word) way. I'm trying to describe it really. It's just disappointing as a project... but I don't believe it's a lost cause. I'd trash this one, maybe save some of the patches you used, start again fresh and try to approach it in a completely different way than every other track you've made. Try something new with these same elements. Try and force originality.

I don't understand how you could think that we would know of a more efficient way to explain the method to you than google would.

I'm not the best at mixing and stuff, but I'll just say some things that came to mind while listening.

well this was all over the place, had a lot goin on. I think that vocoder sounding instrument is a bit too loud when it comes in. When you have that pluck and bell panned hard left and right, that feels a little awkward because they're so separated and because they're so isolated I think you could drop their volume a bit to help them blend in more.

So yeah, the only thing standing out to me was the differences in the volume levels but clarity-wise it was really good, didn't sound muddy.

OK for mastering: Frank Arkwright (Abbey Road Studios, recently mastered the latest Mogwai album), Or Andy VanDette (Mastered In Absentia from Porcupine Tree)

tripfag, take his advice with a grain of salt.
I can sense the arrogance just through the text.

btw, There is rhythm in the main melody. Sounds are too dry? Thanks for being specific!

Considering it's the second song I've ever produced, I think it went okay.

It's fine if you don't like the genre, or it's to mainstream for your avant-garde tastes. But to act like your superior without some actual evidence.. Where is your clyp?

Thanks for the feedback regardless, I appreciate it.

I'm truly not sorry that I don't think your track is not a 10/10 like you thought it was. I stated quite redundantly that I didn't know how to properly describe the feelings I had concerning the clyp. It's stale. It has no encompassing direction or theory. That's what I meant by dry (again, for lack of a better word). I think your sounds aren't bad for the meme genre that it is but I think the arrangement could be far better. Were you asking for genuine feedback or only positive feedback? I'm not entirely sure.

>clearly upset
>more passive agressive than my mother
>thinks I'll fall for talkshitpostclyp

I already have shit in this thread go fishing homeboy

does /prod/ likes to 420 before/while laying tracks?

So yeah I am wondering what people think of this. Which album do you prefer in terms of production and which overall would be a better mastering engineer?

repostan this while i work on something else
clyp.it/fujg5wza

kek, never said it was 10/10 or even a 5. You sound mad dude.

Do you understand what constructive criticism is? How could the arrangement be far better? What isn't a meme genre to you? How can I improve?

btw, Montezuma's revenge is alright. It's interesting, can't really give reliable feedback because I'm not experienced.

..Same poster here. Well Frank looks like Thom Yorke, so I might just go with him

Forgot the pic

clyp.it/4zdrkdun

notice me senpai

should i compress my master track? i dont get whats so special about a compressor. Everytime i use it on my master track or just an audio track, it just seems like it makes it louder....

Damn. That actually sounds pretty nice. That's the type of music I'm trying to make but I ended up starting out with a rock tune of all things.

clyp.it/1lieuxsq

/prod/ - am I the only female that comes on here?

I genuinely did not know you could do this holy shit

i am and im female soooo

thank

this is actually the first thing ive shared so its nice to hear that it sounds okay

This is the most pretentious post.

Check audioz

Yeah. I'd appreciate some feed back on the song I posted. I know it's not much but I think it's a start.

its pretty cool

personally i dont really like the kick drum you used, it sounds a little bland, especially around 0:18. after that i kinda like how its almost like this spooky knocking. your whole piece has this uncomfy horror game vibe to it

Should the volca beats, keys or FM?

YAY I'm not alone. :) nice job by the way, I really liked your clyp.

Thanks. That's kind of what I was going for. I was inspired by DOOM's soundtrack. I am using FL Studio's default drums though so maybe I could swap those out for something a little less boring.

>audioz
Why does this site only host links to throttled file sharing sites like fucking rapidgator? The fuck are they thinking?

thanks! ive been trying to make something comfy for awhile and ive never quite nailed it until today

novation impulse 49 good?

I like mine a lot

>tfw no trap gf to /prod/ with

my 25key went haywire after a year or so, don't think they're very well made but ok for the price

>all that fucking useless shit slapped on a keyboard
Poor thing

clyp.it/jbxis3qo

A beat for a kinda hip hop thing I'm doing. Don't be put off by the hip hop tag, it has live piano bass and guitar on it.

I already got the structure sorted out, this is just a snippet of it. I want some feedback on the mix.

anyone ever done the protools certification exam?

my dumbass took it over my uni holidays because i thought it would help me learn more about protools but all i got was a 300 page ebook that i had to learn in a week.

i can't study for the exam because theres just too much content to study for and everything online seems outdated.

help me out prod

I checked everywhere yesterday and ended up downloading some malware cause I was so desparate and out of my mind trying to find it. Just now got my computer cleaned up.
Anyways I found one this morning that worksits at fl studio kits 2 blog spot
put a dot between 2 and blogspot and dot com that shit and you should be good. Im having a hella time with the spam filter right now

Torrent Lynda.com's series Pro Tools Essential Training for whatever version of Pro Tools that you're supposed to learn.

tell them protools are gay and shit

clyp.it/zhcgja2q
sick but i think it would sound better with a 4/4 kick
pleasant, good mixing

WHAT DID HE MEAN BY THIS

>pleasant, good mixing
Thank you.
>clyp.it/zhcgja2q
The female vocal could be a little louder. The synth that comes in at about 1:20 sounds like it's slightly atonal compared to the other stuff. It sounds like it's made of two notes? I'd move the higher note up a tone personally. Other than that it's fine.
Sounds like early nineties English trance/techno, you listen to that kinda thing?

clyp.it/hn5ebffw ????

>Blofield seems a bit sterile and digital
>Minilogue has the VCO click plus I don't really need a keyboard.
Better ideas for a ~500€ polysynth?

>protools certification exam
what's the point?

I like it.

I really like the bassline. Reminds me of To The Moon by Dunderpatrullen.

Overall I think there could be a bit more variety in sounds and melodies.

software because youre not retarded (hopefully)

thank you for the thorough feedback

the synth is actually multiple small transposed samples, i think there's 3 different pitches in a 1 bar loop - the default pitch, -1 and +2 semitones, I'll try to turn up the highest one

i didn't want to have the Nicki minaj sample too loud because I felt like the echoing low frequency "knows" in the back were offbeat and annoying

i do listen to 90s English techno, for example LFO, they inspired me to get into electronic music

nice blog

I tried to sort out the midi controller bindings for a few VSTs, but then memorizing what each knob did? Nah, man.

Thinking of buying my first real synth (I already have a Volca bass). I was thinking of a mini or micro brute, maybe a system 1m, or the new arp. What other synths should I look into?

budget
what music do you make

clyp.it/csj5p5il

any feedback would be appreciated

Well I'd be saving up for something so unless it was the micro brute anything upto around £800. I really like the look of the MS20 module but by the time I'd saved enough for one they'll all be sold.
Music wise do certain synths really suit certain music styles, i mean obviously a 303 suits acid music and techno but only if you want to recreate that specific sound?
I just want a main synth and ideally want it to be my only one. I did think about a small euro rack setup for this purpose.

Fuck off, he was replying to what was asked of him.

What type of music do you produce?

ballroom serialism/chant-hop

Political rap.

Kick seems a little overbearing.

>And crazily enough someone who is actually related to one of the band members posted here
What? Sauce.

Not him but I've been in one of the threads when he's posted.

Can confirm, search archives desu it was few threads ago.

what should i search specifically if I don't want to look through all the recent /prod/ threads?

Also was in thread when posted. I assumed it was a troll though desu

Lunga, uncle I guess

lolicore

clyp.it/arxhfsaa

Not bad.

Should I get the volca keys or volca bass?

i liked it, but maybe you need to use the original yeah boyy sample